Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brand New information and 6 Min video with new inforamtion

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

It's in German, had to get my wife to translate for me.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/neverwinter/artikel/neverwinter,46410,3008540.html

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Kool thanx dude i put it up on my blogger!

• ValentynValentyn Member Posts: 11
    Halflings!!
  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

The interesting bits-

1) Character creation- background, deity affiliation

2) Appears anyone can aid you if you fall in battle, sort of like GW2

3)  They show a bit of the powers and feats tabs for rogue

4) Companions tab?  Don't speak german but the guy makes a swtor reference when talking about it.  Possible that the tank in video is an npc companion?

Site/article also put release in first half of 2013.  

Speculation that the video is a few months old as one of the classes is missing; possibly as old as September.  Cryptic is aware the video is on the site and doesn't seem concerned.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Have mixed feelings.  Feats turn out to be more like a talent tree or Traits in GW2, no actual feats which is a HUGE letdown.  Rolling stats... hmmm why incorperate roll stats when it's been done away with for a few editions now.  Well will wait n see.
  • ZebularZebular Member UncommonPosts: 24
    This particular video by Gamestar is not old, I cannot be certain exactly when it was released to Gamestar to make/narrate, however it is at most, only a month old.

[ PWE Community Moderator (Official Forums) | Foundry: The Dweomerkeepers | My Twitter | @zebular ]
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

After watching the video and some Google translate, all I can say is, wow, Neverwinter looks really good.

Action combat dungeon crawling paired with in depth character customization with skill, feats, whatnots and companions. I think they have also mentioned before something about PVP and mounts (so I guess there's some open world action as well).

Makes me wonder, what's the catch? What is this game missing in order for Cryptic/PWE to opt for F2P, not B2P or sub?

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by DeniZg

After watching the video and some Google translate, all I can say is, wow, Neverwinter looks really good.

Action combat dungeon crawling paired with in depth character customization with skill, feats, whatnots and companions. I think they have also mentioned before something about PVP and mounts (so I guess there's some open world action as well).

Makes me wonder, what's the catch? What is this game missing in order for Cryptic/PWE to opt for F2P, not B2P or sub?...

Actually that is what cryptic is responding regularly to. F2p games do not have to be any "less" profit making.

A game will make profit if it is good whether free, sub or retail. The reasons they give for choosing f2p model is:-

No pressure on dev team and dev team can make a game "which they like" instead of a game "which is demanded"

Game is available to play for a larger player base making it more popular even if is less profitable sometimes.

They want to run this game for at least 10 years and not some 3-4 years. Hence only f2p is suitable.

These are the two reasons they have given, but I think real reason is that they are just more comfortable with f2p model now that CO and STO are both migrating to f2p model.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Makes me wonder, what's the catch? What is this game missing in order for Cryptic/PWE to opt for F2P, not B2P or sub?

P2P or sub based games always do more harm then good.  The only subset of the gaming population who think subscriptions are great are the MMO fanbase (FFS I dunno why) ask any normal gamer and they will tell you subs are the reason why most of them never bothered to play an MMO.  I know hardcore RPG fans who have never tried an MMO because its associated with subscriptions.

Besides NWO is attracting a different subset of gamers then your normal MMO fans, the D&D guys will most likely give it a try and that is who the game is being developed too.  Its the reason why things like PvP aren't included in at launch.  (Hopefully it never gets included, one can wish).

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by azzamasin

P2P or sub based games always do more harm then good.  The only subset of the gaming population who think subscriptions are great are the MMO fanbase (FFS I dunno why) ask any normal gamer and they will tell you subs are the reason why most of them never bothered to play an MMO.  I know hardcore RPG fans who have never tried an MMO because its associated with subscriptions.

Besides NWO is attracting a different subset of gamers then your normal MMO fans, the D&D guys will most likely give it a try and that is who the game is being developed too.  Its the reason why things like PvP aren't included in at launch.  (Hopefully it never gets included, one can wish).

Yea, I hear you about P2P.

However, it makes me think if the game is so full of features, why didn't they go for currently popular B2P + cash shop model, like GW2? What I'm trying to figure out is, in order not to raise my expectations too high, is what standard MMO features this game might be lacking?

Anyway, PVP is in. Apparently,  game was delayed from 2012 to 2013, in order to implement "robust" PVP system, as Cryptic mentioned earlier.

Yea, I hear you about P2P.

However, it makes me think if the game is so full of features, why didn't they go for currently popular B2P + cash shop model, like GW2? What I'm trying to figure out is, in order not to raise my expectations too high, is what standard MMO features this game might be lacking?

Anyway, PVP is in. Apparently,  game was delayed from 2012 to 2013, in order to implement "robust" PVP system, as Cryptic mentioned earlier.

This may sound strange but whether the game is sub or not is not always decided by game.

Even if the game be excellent, revolutionary and stuff, it may do loss as a sub - but when released as f2p it may give tremendous profit.

I think westren market is not able to grasp the fact that f2p does not actually mean free game, but is infact a meaning of "free to pay" - i.e. freedom to pay.

You can say it is a design, to buy a magzine you can go to supermarket, walk free inside and read the magzinea bit before paying for it and taking it home. Or you can buy it from the store where they have special fee for entry outside the gate before you see the magzine. Third way is to have a sub and have it delivered home automatically.

It does not mean any one way is better. Similarly it does not mean if a game is f2p it has to be low quality. When google started Gmail, it was free - but at that time gave most features than any other "sub" email client.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

haha, they fight the treausre chest.

Can't wait for this game.

Originally posted by azzamasin

What rock have you been under?  PvP has for a long time been confirmed and will be included at launch was a new development of the game (was post launch addition then was will be included) back in Dec or so... and no, this game is not being designed for the D&D guy, at least solely.  It's being designed for MMOers hence the already numerous deviations and this is an MMO first and foremost hence D&D inspired.  Feats being talents, MMOification of armor stats, just the abilities themselves like the earth shock wave or the infinate whirlwind of the fighter which no way resemble any powers in 4e, no healing surges, action combat vs tactical combat which is what the combat of D&D is.  Many D&D fans won't touch Neverwinter as it's too restrictive, on the Dalelands and Beyond NWN2 PW there is pretty much a unanimous "HELL NO!!!" to Neverwinter since there are no DM events or PW capabilities.

Don't pass your opinions as facts.  P2P does more harm than good... show us the statistical proof then as just as many if not more will not play an MMO unless it's P2P.  Polls here prove that Westerners prefer P2P buisness models, granted this might be shifting but it's still a highly prefereable model than F2P.

• ZebularZebular Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Many D&D fans won't touch Neverwinter as it's too restrictive, on the Dalelands and Beyond NWN2 PW there is pretty much a unanimous "HELL NO!!!" to Neverwinter since there are no DM events or PW capabilities.
    Don't pass your opinions as facts.

Hmm, sounds like you're passing your opinions off as facts though.  I know quite a few die-hard D&D players who cannot wait for Neverwinter and love what they're seeing so far. Alas, doomsays are a part of MMO history and apparently remain so. The developers are even D&D players themselves.

Those who are vocal on forums and media are a minority compared to the true player-base of MMOs and D&D is no exception. I know out of all my friends I play PnP D&D with, I am the only one who is vocal on the internet about D&D and Games we all play together.

[ PWE Community Moderator (Official Forums) | Foundry: The Dweomerkeepers | My Twitter | @zebular ]
    Originally posted by Zebular
    Many D&D fans won't touch Neverwinter as it's too restrictive, on the Dalelands and Beyond NWN2 PW there is pretty much a unanimous "HELL NO!!!" to Neverwinter since there are no DM events or PW capabilities.
    Don't pass your opinions as facts.

Hmm, sounds like you're passing your opinions off as facts though.  I know quite a few die-hard D&D players who cannot wait for Neverwinter and love what they're seeing so far. Alas, doomsays are a part of MMO history and apparently remain so. The developers are even D&D players themselves.

Those who are vocal on forums and media are a minority compared to the true player-base of MMOs and D&D is no exception. I know out of all my friends I play PnP D&D with, I am the only one who is vocal on the internet about D&D and Games we all play together.

Fair enough.

Neverwinter is a mixed bag though.  D&D fans could love it, then again more might hate it at least those of the creation crowd.  The problem with D&D titles, fans are so fickle and will go ape shit over being "untrue" to the IP.  If they MMOify it too much it might just end up like DDO, your typical MMO with D&D in name only.

But will wager a large bet that the D&D fan crowd will be the minority, most that come will be MMOers first and foremost or the modder community who want to create things regardless of the IP.

Originally posted by Zebular...

But will wager a large bet that the D&D fan crowd will be the minority, most that come will be MMOers first and foremost or the modder community who want to create things regardless of the IP.

They only one who can bet safely and win is cryptic. That is because they have actual  metrices on what brings more players and/or more profit.

Without any data and evidence, everybody's opinions are only a speculation.

However there are always those who say xx is not "true D&D" They have always have been and will always be there. They were there when 3e was released. They were there when 3.5e came out. They were there when 4e came out. So they were when BG, NWN and almost every other game came out.

In MMO, they are sure to be reappearing everytime an update will be launched.  For me and many others I know (not all) the fact that WotC is cheking their each step to ensure game stays true to Lore and mechanics of D&D is more than enough - especially when they have long discussions over things like color of troll's eyes.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by gillrmn
    Originally posted by Ambros123 Originally posted by Zebular...
    They only one who can bet safely and win is cryptic. That is because they have actual  metrices on what brings more players and/or more profit.

Without any data and evidence, everybody's opinions are only a speculation.

However there are always those who say xx is not "true D&D" They have always have been and will always be there. They were there when 3e was released. They were there when 3.5e came out. They were there when 4e came out. So they were when BG, NWN and almost every other game came out.

In MMO, they are sure to be reappearing everytime an update will be launched.  For me and many others I know (not all) the fact that WotC is cheking their each step to ensure game stays true to Lore and mechanics of D&D is more than enough - especially when they have long discussions over things like color of troll's eyes.

couldent have said it better myself!