Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Grain, wood, stone and iron, same pattern forever and forever?

RPGForeverRPGForever PortoviejoPosts: 120Member
I just tried another RTS with RPG elements and got the same and the same I have seen in my past 10 or 12 RTS trys, gather food, stone, wood and iron. I am looking for a macro administration game that gives me other options, for example a way to produce elaborated food out of grain or other kinds of resources, perhaps hebs or sow different cropes. Anyone knows a game that goes beyond the grain, wood, stone and iron pattern? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,989Member Uncommon
    A rose by any other name?

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,656Member Uncommon
    Kyleran has a point. While devs could give other names to things, it doesn't do much other than make it less intuitive. The new player knows the value and order of copper, iron, and steel; by changing that to Gormium, Detium and Romulandium the 'creativity' is offset by the obfuscation and extended learning curve.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• birdycephonbirdycephon Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 1,314Member
    We need more wood!
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Tarzana, CAPosts: 1,220Member

Perhaps renaming the resources but maintaining the mechanics are not the way to go about this. I think developers need to expand on other avenues for resource economy in strategy games. This is the million dollar question for RTS's really. How do you innovate the resource economy aspect of your game while maintaining the fun, depth, and presentation of it all?

I have a million and 1 ideas like everyone else, but I don't have the energy right now to type it all out lol.

• Check out Anno 1404. It's pretty elaborate.
  • delete5230delete5230 Posts: 2,957Member Uncommon

Many would like to see deeper crafting and harvesting in mmo's.  In my experiance Vanugard is the only one, very deep !.....Yet the game is on it's last leg, with going F2P.

Future ?....Well, will have to see.  With the crap developers are puting out, I'm not expecting much more than shallow mmo's much less a good crafting and harvesting sub game.....Blizzard and SOE are about our best bet to put out anything you would be looking for.

Blizzard = more fun type ( if you would call it that )

SOE = Deep ( I would count on them more )

• maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member

What about Populous?  It had a fairly different style of play that was focused more on teraforming the land rather than harvesting resources.

( I don't know much about the modern RTS games out there ... although I love watching simulations unfold, I find I just don't have the efficiency of clicking to play those sorts of games at anything beyond laid-back beginner levels )

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    Settlers

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ReklawReklaw Am.Posts: 6,476Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Settlers

Was about to say the same thing, to be honost don't know many rts games that are based on grain, wood, stone and iron only.

In most RTS games I know these are just your base resource and from there on you refine it into other resources or items.

I love the visual presentation of The Settlers 7 Paths to a Kingdom, I liked Settlers Heritage of Kings more gameplay wise due to more freedom S7 felt rather linear compared to S6.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,779Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Kyleran has a point. While devs could give other names to things, it doesn't do much other than make it less intuitive. The new player knows the value and order of copper, iron, and steel; by changing that to Gormium, Detium and Romulandium the 'creativity' is offset by the obfuscation and extended learning curve.

Why should there be a canonical value and order of the metals?  Why not just have different materials used for different things.  Even today, copper has plenty of uses where iron and steel would be wildly inappropriate.

Oh wait, we're talking about an RTS, where the "real-time" component overwhelms the "strategy" component, leaving the game mostly about how well you can keep track of what is going on and click really fast without much in the way of strategy?  That explains it.

• RPGForeverRPGForever PortoviejoPosts: 120Member
    Thanks for the input, gonna take a look to those games you have named.