Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fact that this forum is "hating this game" is a good sign

13»

Comments

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

My only complaint against TESO is that I wish it had been TES : Whatever with multiplayer.  Not that I won't play, and likely enjoy, TESO.  But "Single player games" with a multiplayer element have different dynamic, and different balance.  That is to say, nearly no balance.  They are all about how much fun you are having.  It doesn't matter if you are overpowered in Skyrim.  Its just a facet of the game, a method for fun you can achieve.  I like being able to break my character and smash everything in the face.

MMO's don't have that, really.  They do have other things that are fun too, and I will enjoy those things with my friends in the world of Tamriel.  But I would have actually just enjoyed having regular mutiplayer options in their current games.  They could re-release Morrowind tommorow, with nothing more than the graphic overhaul its modded in and mutiplayer and I'd pay 60$ for it again just to play on my 360 with some pals.

They'd probably make just as many box sales, and it would surely take less work than funding a full on MMO.  I think they missed  a really easy way to double dip their game library and make some crazy cash on it.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by Fishmitts

Playing most of the Elder Scrolls games, I have always wished I could play with a buddy. I'm 47 and started with Arena. ( Worst box art ever) Now I can, or will. I dont care about the lore. I dont care about making a difference in the world. I dont care about the politics. I have always wanted to run mines, dungeons, and overall the game itself with a friend.

And now I can.

And I think a lot of people feel the same way.

Then go play the plethora of cancerclones already available with your buddy. There will be 0 difference regardless of what the title on the box says.

Or he can wait for ESO to be realeased. I think he will choose the latter. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36

ESO and Neverwinter are the only two games I am keeping an eye on so far this year.  If it will suck or not won't be dictated by the most verbose members of these forums, it will be based on the motivations of the developers, and how in touch they are with REAL gamers, and not just pie charts and statistics.

My interests may not coincide with yours, or 'theirs', so I'll just watch game play videos, perhaps get a chance to test the game, and make my own, educated decision.

In most situations 'the masses' are ignorant people who just copy what other people are saying or doing, it is usually a small few, who can think for themselves and make their own decisions.  I have found that these few, don't usually go around broadcasting their opinions as freely as the masses, so I would say your original assessment is accurate.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

Every game that comes out; has generally an outstanding and super hyped anticipation from the patrons of these forums.

Each and every time; ive been sucked in by everyone elses flag waving cheerleaders; and every time; these games end up garbage.

My new indicator of a possibly great upcoming game; is if "you" the collective community hate on it.. ill probably end up liking it. 

I hope your right, because frankly each of the developers on the development team is going to have to eat a rock and shit out a diamond from their ass in order to make this game any good.

lmao

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Every game that comes out; has generally an outstanding and super hyped anticipation from the patrons of these forums.

Each and every time; ive been sucked in by everyone elses flag waving cheerleaders; and every time; these games end up garbage.

My new indicator of a possibly great upcoming game; is if "you" the collective community hate on it.. ill probably end up liking it. 

+1 OP. 

Something tells me the combat and itemization are going to be really good. I have concerns about other design philosophies though like, the PvP "area", and from what it seems, not being able to invade homelands.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    While "hating" might be too strong of a word, I am nevertheless overly concerned about the direction of TESO's development. Without getting into the details, let's just say TESO is looking nothing like what I would imagine an online TES game would be (and I mean this in a bad way). I wish beta or maybe even alpha will come soon so I can finally throw in my feedback to the developers. I think they're getting ahead of the game (pun intended) a little too soon without real input from the gamers, especially those who enjoy TES games. In fact, the only thing I see is everything that has to do with the lore, which is fine and dandy, but if I really wanted to know more about lore I'd read TES books or look up the wikis. I assumed TESO is supposed to be a game, so where's the info regarding gameplay? And how about an improvement to the visuals while we're at it?
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Onomas

Considering it will just be another cookie-cutter mmo with limitations out the rear end........... seems like it will just be another good IP destroyed and will bomb in 3 months. They keep making the same game over and over with new graphics and names for items. In the end, its the exact same game as the last 301 themeparks released this past few years.

I hope this is not true but after the calamity of SWTOR and considering the already announced differenes between what this game will be like compared to the single player games from which it was drawn, I think you might be right.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I hate to admit this, but I made an almost identical thread with SWTOR before release. Though it did produce the amount of box sales I was expecting, it did not retain the subs I thought it would despite all the negativity on this site. There really is no correlation between negativity on the forums from .0001 % of the users and what people will feel after release. Either the game will work for whatever reason or it won't. 

There Is Always Hope!

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    The fact that this forum is "hating this game" only means that it exhists. They hate everything. You really can't draw any conclusions from it. I wish this wasn't the case, but there are just too many old-bitter vets who hate on anything that isn't SWG or similar sandbox style.
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

I can't hate a game I haven't tried but I can forsee myself disliking this game if I do end up trying it, from what I have read about it there is nothing new, exciting, or innovative.  It's on par with turning LoTRO into a MMORPG just because the franchise was famous.

Zzz.

Originally posted by Psychow
    The fact that this forum is "hating this game" only means that it exhists. They hate everything. You really can't draw any conclusions from it. I wish this wasn't the case, but there are just too many old-bitter vets who hate on anything that isn't SWG or similar sandbox style.

That is quite a generalization you made there, in fact if what you say was true, no one would be playing MMORPGs or even coming to this site. 

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

There is a big difference between "hating" on a game and giving point specific criticism. That is what's odd about the ESO critics, they have point by point, well thought out reasons why they are worried the game seems to be Elder Scrolls in name only.

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55
    MMORPG.com hated on SWTOR, and that game is a sack of shit. lol
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Drolkin

That is quite a generalization you made there, in fact if what you say was true, no one would be playing MMORPGs or even coming to this site. 

Many of them don't play MMOs and they come to this site to bitch about the genre not being new, fresh and interesting.

Many of them don't play MMOs and they come to this site to bitch about the genre not being new, fresh and interesting.

MMOs aren't fresh or interesting, they're stagnant in the sense that there is no innovation or experimentation, unless you care to point  out a MMO or two that have done something new/innovative lately. 

World of Darkness maybe with permadeath and forced RP, but that is speculation in my eyes until I've experienced the gameplay myself.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

MMOs aren't fresh or interesting, they're stagnant in the sense that there is no innovation or experimentation, unless you care to point  out a MMO or two that have done something new/innovative lately. 

World of Darkness maybe with permadeath and forced RP, but that is speculation in my eyes until I've experienced the gameplay myself.

The same thing can happen in the art world.  Someone releases a Mona Lisa and everyone else goes around painting portraits of a women trying to top it.  Many investors refuse to let artists paint anything other than a picture of a women.  You can't reproduce a masterpiece.

A group of game designers need to get together and talk about creative ways to make a large online multiplayer game in a persistent world.  This is what ESO should have done instead of painting in aspects from other games.  People say it's risky to do something different but it's no more of a risk than releasing another lisa hoping to top the original.