Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PoE is hyped #1 = proof of MMO stagnation

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah I was thinking that last night while playing planetside 2. "this game is just like diablo 3, got to keep popping back to town so I have enough cash to buy the gear I need on the auction house". Likewise I'm sure eve and darkfall players suffer from diablo dejavu.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    While I think PoE is a good game. I do not consider it an MMO. At all.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    I miss half of the Meter Drama around here, by not navigating into the forums via the home page :/

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ClarkMallowClarkMallow Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

Well it is NOT an MMO and was never advertised like one, so everything is fine. It's just mmorpg.com not being clear of what they want to talk about or kids raging because they talk about good non-mmo online games.

• TellaxTellax Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by meddyck

You don't need any more proof of how stale and uninspiring the MMO genre has become that Diablo clone Path of Exile now has the #1 hype spot on this site. In case anybody wants to argue PoE is an MMO, here's what the devs themselves say:

We do not classify Path of Exile as an MMORPG. It is a competitive online action RPG, and has little in common with games that are typically given the MMORPG moniker.

http://www.pathofexile.com/about/

what what what what?!?!   diablo clone??!  Path of Exile..

first of, the game is exactly what d3 SHOULD have been, and is the ACTUAL successor to D2...

THE END.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    So when an mmo is number 1 again will this be "proof" that they are no longer stagnant?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yeah I was thinking that last night while playing planetside 2. "this game is just like diablo 3, got to keep popping back to town so I have enough cash to buy the gear I need on the auction house". Likewise I'm sure eve and darkfall players suffer from diablo dejavu.

YOu miss the part that MMOs have sub-genres?

Last time i play WOW, or STO, or DDO, reminds very much of D3 .. and i do keep popping back to town to sell after each 'dungeon'. Don't you?

Originally posted by ClarkMallow

Well it is NOT an MMO and was never advertised like one, so everything is fine. It's just mmorpg.com not being clear of what they want to talk about or kids raging because they talk about good non-mmo online games.

Obviously MMO and games like D3 share an audience. Case in point, Blizz sold 1.2M annual pass to WOW players who want to play D3. And probably a lot more to other WOW players.

The game style is close enough to many MMOs. Hit a button, drop into a dungeon with 3-6 players. Ring a bell?

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

You don't need any more proof of how stale and uninspiring the MMO genre has become that Diablo clone Path of Exile now has the #1 hype spot on this site. In case anybody wants to argue PoE is an MMO, here's what the devs themselves say:

We do not classify Path of Exile as an MMORPG. It is a competitive online action RPG, and has little in common with games that are typically given the MMORPG moniker.

It;s an MMO not an MMORPG. So what you are saying is that hype = proof? Interesting theory...do you also believe accusations = evidence? The mmo genre is fine and will continue to be fine with or without crybabys that burn themselves out on a genre and then demand a reinvention of the wheel. It's like watching a child play with a new toy..get sick of it after 15 minutes...toss it aside and then have tantrum b/c they want a new toy! The other one is old and uninspired after all.

It's not a mmo at all.

It's a cooprpg

Planetside would be an example of a game that's a mmo but not a mmorpg.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It's not the first time this happened, and it won't be the last....

If nothing, PoE is what Diablo 3 should've been and I'm glad people like the game.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I don't think an easily manipulated hype meter is "Proof" of anything....even the game's "hype" is questionable...
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Robinffs
    Why doesn't they just rename the site to og.com (online games)?

Why should they? Leaving entirely a side the matter of brand recognition and such.  Games have evolved over time. There is no reason not to cover many of these new games.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    It's not 50 million players of mmos in the usa

It's 50 million players of ONLINE GAMES IN GENERAL.

Look at that site, they include stuff like starcraft 2, cod, lol, diablo 3, farmville etc..

Actual number playing actual mmos is much lower.
    Oops wrong thread.
  • maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Grotar89

Have you seen this http://steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/1071-black-desert-online-preview-2 ?

Dunno why this game isnt on this site...... Looks like masterpiece smth that themepark and sandbox fans have been waiting for.

That trailer made me cry....and it there isn't even a single word or explanation too anything about the game

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's not a mmo at all.

It's a cooprpg

Planetside would be an example of a game that's a mmo but not a mmorpg.

People don't seem to care about that distinction. PoE is discussed here, with its own board. So may be we can just broaden MMO to include online ARPGs.

Personally i really don't care if a game is a ARPG, or a MMO .. i play it if it is fun to me.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    This game is awesome. I've been in closed beta for many months and have been a proud investor in there kickstarter for this project. My only regret is that I put more money invested in games that didn't deserve as much investment as this game deserves (gw2 and tsw). I do look foward to continuing to support this game in any way I can. The developers are amazing and have been very responsive not just on the forums but in game chat as well, taking time to answer questions from many random players. Grinding gear games is amazing and PoE is an impressive labour of love.
  • ClarkMallowClarkMallow Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by ClarkMallow

Obviously MMO and games like D3 share an audience. Case in point, Blizz sold 1.2M annual pass to WOW players who want to play D3. And probably a lot more to other WOW players.

The game style is close enough to many MMOs. Hit a button, drop into a dungeon with 3-6 players. Ring a bell?

Success has nothing to do with PoE not being an MMO. It is not. Now whether MMORPG.com should talk about it or not, I don't care much, but they clearly decided to give credit to good online games in general. 2 things : 

Or forumers stop whining about their site's decisions,

Or MMORPG.com stops talking about Diablo, PoE, and many many more to talk ONLY about MMORPGs. 

I think solution 1 is pretty good.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Hm, yes interesting indeed that the nr 1 hyped game on MMORPG.com is not an mmorpg. Cant really see why you would call your site mmorpg.com but then list non mmorpgs. Does not make much sense to me. 

Maybe they should change the name of the site to MOG (multiplayer online game).

• ibn_Cartwellibn_Cartwell Member Posts: 47
    Proof of stagnations = everyone excited about ESO beta, when it's already so far along a bad path there is no turning back.
    Originally posted by Yamota

Hm, yes interesting indeed that the nr 1 hyped game on MMORPG.com is not an mmorpg. Cant really see why you would call your site mmorpg.com but then list non mmorpgs. Does not make much sense to me. 

Maybe they should change the name of the site to MOG (multiplayer online game).

May be because the playstyle is close enough. Tell me .. is there a substantial difference between D3 gameplay (hti a button, go into a 4 player game), and WOW dungeon/raid gameplay? (hit a button, go into a 5-man or 25 man dungeon)

If the playstyle is so close, it stands to reason that players interested in one would be interested in the other.

Stringent definitions of MMOs are not very useful .. if it ignore what people are interested in.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Yeah, when Call of Duty and Texas Hold 'em appear on the games list, then you can wet your panties about games not being mmorpg.
  • kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

For those who say PoE is another brainless clickfest faceroll game obviously they haven't even attempted to play on the Hardcore League, or any of the other different leagues besides the normal Default Legaue. I guarantee you go into HC with that mentality and don't make wise decisions on your passive skill tree you won't last more than 10 levels if even that heh. Even on the default league you won't get incredibly far if you don't navigate the tree wisely with a good balance of defense and offense.

As for it being a Diablo clone, it can be argued taht every game made to date is a clone of something else, which is pretty pointless. The fact of the matter is PoE is the same style of gameplay as Diablo games however adds many new mechanics and features that take the genre to awhole new level so I don't see how you can call it a clone. A clone is an exact copy of something else and PoE is by no means an exact copy of anything but rather it's own game that happens to fall under the same genre as the previous games it was inspired by.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Lets just say your idea of proof and my idea of proof is very different.

All this proves is that this site lists many games, not just MMO's and many people are excited about PoE.  Anything related to MMO is strictly a supposition unsupported by your arguments. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.