Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or has MMO games in general become boring and stale with nothing new to offer?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Im sorry but it seems that MMO games in general have fizzeled for me. Nothing new to explore to excite me to make me jump out of my chair and say OMG this game has my attention for several years to come. It seems Devs lost thier drive to make a new and fantastic MMO to give us gamers. No new turns no nothing at all that calls out for any long term or short term play for that matter.

Have Devs ran out of fresh idea's? I just think they are satified in giving us garbage any more and we still eat it up. We dont say enough is enough of the crap MMO's out there and we contenue to except the low grade junk as standard for gaming.

I guess I miss the newness of MMO games when only a handful of such games were availible to us like UO or EQ or even WoW in its hayday along with SWG for that matter when gaming companies took responsibilty for giving quality games. I just dont see the quality anymor.

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Isturi

Have Devs ran out of fresh idea's?

Anets with GW2 DE system is quite fresh take on the themepark model.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

What is it you want to do?

Also, calling SWG a quality game may be a stretch...

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Torgrim

That maybe but then what? Sorry its a good step but it dont contenue to allow GG2 to grow?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Pve has yes

Crafting / economy / exploration / pvp can be better if you search for the right game
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Pve has yes

Crafting / economy / exploration / pvp can be better if you search for the right game

i sure hope so but you mention you have to search for it? Do any MMO's now stand out and jump out with this in mind?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Boring and stale would be this weekly question.

The industry is more diverse and more active in both titles and demographic than it ever was before.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Marcus-

What is it you want to do?

Also, calling SWG a quality game may be a stretch...

I just want a MMO game to jump and me knock me off my chair and say ok Im yours for the next few years. I just dont see that anymore.

SWG inovation was its crafting system. Very fresh for the time.

Isturi
    Well eve hits all them buttons.

Other games hit some of them, e.g ps2 hits the pvp button.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Isturi
    Well eve hits all them buttons.

Other games hit some of them, e.g ps2 hits the pvp button.

I give Kudo's to EVE. And acualy that is the one game I reseved from mentioning I dont want to make this a popularity thread bout EVE Im talking bout MMO's in general.

My concern is that gaming companies are not inovated anymore.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Play something else then. MMOs are obviously still entertaining a lot of people when there are 50M MMO players just in the US.
    Lol what! where do you pull the 50 million players from.

Utter nonsense.

You think 1 in 5 Americans play a mmo?
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Play something else then. MMOs are obviously still entertaining a lot of people when there are 50M MMO players just in the US.

i gotta wonder too

especially when a survey from 2 years ago - showed only 14% of online video gamers play mmos  (page 9)

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_Essential_Facts_2010.PDF

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Torgrim

That maybe but then what? Sorry its a good step but it dont contenue to allow GG2 to grow?

Someone have to make the first step so someone else can take over to take the second step.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Yes, yes, we're all doomed (again).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Im sorry but it seems that MMO games in general have fizzeled for me. Nothing new to explore to excite me to make me jump out of my chair and say OMG this game has my attention for several years to come. It seems Devs lost thier drive to make a new and fantastic MMO to give us gamers. No new turns no nothing at all that calls out for any long term or short term play for that matter.

Have Devs ran out of fresh idea's? I just think they are satified in giving us garbage any more and we still eat it up. We dont say enough is enough of the crap MMO's out there and we contenue to except the low grade junk as standard for gaming.

I guess I miss the newness of MMO games when only a handful of such games were availible to us like UO or EQ or even WoW in its hayday along with SWG for that matter when gaming companies took responsibilty for giving quality games. I just dont see the quality anymor.

Innovation is not the same thing as releasing something completely new. Innovation builds up on previous stuff, and I would say that the MMO genre definitely is seeing that. Things are elements in ToR, TSW and GW2 that certainly fit that.

Back at the start, people were experimenting and you ended up with very different games. Yes, in that sense, titles were very different from each other. However, in my view, these experimental games would not be deemed playable anymore by the vast majority of players so devs are turned off of experimenting these days with new gaming systems and the like. Some of the most experimental and interesting games have not been that successful. Just look at A Tale in the Desert, probably one of the most creative games out today.

I would argue that games have become higher quality in some ways because they have removed some of the bugs and unintended features. AO was a great game in theory, but in practice it was extremely buggy and often frustrating due to that. WoW might be less creative, but it has a fantastic game engine and it is pretty bugless in comparison to the first two generations of MMOs.

In other ways, I agree that there are fewer things in many games these days making them seem far more shallow. I believe that it has become too expensive due to technology advances, inflation, etc. for devs to really make deep and meaningful new releases. Players are also far more impatient these days because they have lost a lot of good will of  the old days. Perhaps you also don't really want to get hooked on something again ? There might be some subconcious desire to not get as involved as in the past...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

I don't believe it is the games, since if you put a pure MMO virgin to play the AAA titles out there now, they would absolutely love it, and be hooked.

It has to do more with your own attitude and like/dislikes. You want something innovative, but are afraid of going out of the tried and true. Look at many of the other games posted and their styles. Or just change genres altogether. You might still want to play MMOs, but not specifically the RPG style. Look around, there might be still things that can keep your love for MMOs ablaze.

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Had high hopes for GW2 but i played the 1st 2 months and have not logged in since, i dunno why...

Waiting for something to take my money, but nothing out there atm...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Nadia

i gotta wonder too

especially when a survey from 2 years ago - showed only 14% of online video gamers play mmos  (page 9)

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_Essential_Facts_2010.PDF

Even 14% is in the millions.

But here is the 50M figure.

http://www.newzoo.com/insights/the-global-mmo-market-sizing-and-seizing-opportunities-2/

BTW, that is 2012 numbers.

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

I think people are always just chasing the feelings they got from playing their first MMO. The sense of exploration and wonderment as you explore a virtual world full of real players. It was like the first time I ever used a chatroom, I was so in awe by it...but after a while it grows stale and old..I don't blame mmo devs or chat rooms devs though. I blame myself for burning myself out on mmos. I took a rather long break from all MMO's after not touching one for a few years they definately get their appeal back somewhat. Still not the same as it used to be though. So in short I think it's the players that play till their eyes bleed that need to change their habits.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Maybe they have come to realise "Why bother, the players will just bitch and complain anyways, might as well just try to make some money".

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

I wonder if the limits of technology have been reached? I mean im sure there is better tech..but as far as affordable and practical for gamers...if this is the case..then it's like demanding ford start producing flying cars, because traditional cars are boring. Coul Ford produce a flying car? I bet they could, would it be practical to use and affordable for consumer? Not even close. Same with mmo's!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Psychow

Maybe they have come to realise "Why bother, the players will just bitch and complain anyways, might as well just try to make some money".

Or...nine more years have passed.

Op's basically asking why he isn't the same person as nine years ago...

I wonder how much more tedious killing minor variations on the same mobs will feel after the next half-million of them?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
      here is the 50M figure.

http://www.newzoo.com/insights/the-global-mmo-market-sizing-and-seizing-opportunities-2/

BTW, that is 2012 numbers.

EDIT:  nevermind,  thanks for source

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

As you already know and have read on these forums.....no it's not just you.

Thing is all the complaints we had back in the old day's is the reason mostly why this genre is what it is today.

People felt it was to complex, to many options, to many skills, to much freedom, to much reading, balance this balance that, hard to find groups, lack of content even though back in the old many just ignore the content that was there, they just didn't understand that a game doesn't have to tell you what to do.

Today we have: Less complex (still somewhat overwelming for new players), less options, skills have changed to being combat oriented mostly so we have less of that too, less freedom we must do what developers have written for us, less reading we have  voice-overs now even though we had them back then aswell just less then today. People these day's want everthing to be balanced, why should we have a master medic profession if he can not fight....., we now have every means at our fingertips to form groups. These day's everything a developer trows at players is considered content, sorry but a new instance, a new raid is sort of new content but a very limited type of content to me.

So if any of you actually been active on forums back then we already could tell that this genre would head this way as it is today. Sure I don't like it though sometimes I do enjoy certain themepark games but aint enjoying them as MMORPG but just as online games as they provide once you reach cap lvl nothing more then your avarage multiplayer game. Often the moment I leave most themepark games.

People say virtual worlds, sandbox games don't work. I use to be one of them due to me thinking I was the minority in today's MMO scene. But then it got me thinking, how many A-tittle sandbox have been released since internet became mainstream and some of us even using fiber connnections today?

Some people I even see saying that MMO's try to hard to please everyone and that needs to stop, funny thing is that I entered this genre and it actually had something for everyone ranging from combat to non-combat professions, set in a more virtual world instead of just themepark ride. MMO's today actually offer nothing more then your regular single or multiplayer game already offers.

I always thought in a MMORPG it's the community that makes the game comes alive, today's generation of gamers seem to want the developers make the worlds alive. This time it just might be me but don't developers bring us these grand singleplayer games that seem very alive (GTA,ElderScrolls, Farcry and then some)

Don't get me wrong I am in the same boat as you are, I just don't see this blame game towards developers or even "the suits"

I also don't blame the old school gamer who has sticked with certain old school games for years, but I do blame a large part on those who left with a few weeks or a month and complaint and complaint to get us where we are today with MMO's

There are not 50 million people playing mmos in the usa. Think about it, wow has what 3 million, gw2 maybe 1 million, what the hell are the other 46 million playing.

If you look at that site closely you will that's its 50 million players of online games, that includes cooprpgs, rtses, fps, MOBAs, Facebook games etc..