Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHATS WRONG WITH GW2 DYNAMIC EVENTS

13»

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by mcool

dynamic events in gw2 was supposed to be revolutionary ,but a couple months down the line and it  seems as if people are fed up with the game. 

I haven't had the privilege of playing the game, so i wanted to ask all you gamers. what happened. i thought the dynamic events meant that the maps were not static. things were constantly changing plus you have an influence over what happened in the game. isnt that what you guys wanted. 

its sad too see another game,so hyped fall below par.. i guess WOW will dominate untll they close their servers 

Ummm you havent played the game but you know that everyone is fed up with the game?

I will let you in on a secret. Half the trolls on here who bash GW2 haven't played it either.

The dynamic events do mean that the map is constantly changing. Going back through now with a lower population you will see a lot more failed events and diversity in events / maps.

Everyone who complained about events always being the same only ever ran through with the initial zerg where the end events never failed, and consequently kept repeating themselves.

I mean if you defend the outpost from the trolls every time, how are they going to take a foothold and change the map? They wont.

GW2 delievered exactly what they promised. Some people just cant live without someone dangling that imaginary carrot in front of them, or without having a healer to blame.

Originally posted by Vapors
    Imo event he rifts in rift were more dynamic, since the whole area was burning after or was full of ice xD. I dont see what is so dynamic from bringing a big cow from 1 side to the other and all the gnoms are happy about saying thank you lol.

Obviously you didnt see much of GW2, because in events in GW2 they build new encampments when you secure areas, or mobs tear down your bases and make their own camp. Much more dynamic, and meaningful, than Rift.

Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Pretty sure this game is dominating the market, but hai 5 to you.

and yet its sold less the D3 which has had a pretty luke warm showing itself (compared to previous expectations) As someone else pointed out above WoW is still pretty mych dominating the market not GW2 (and no i don't play WoW before you call me a WoW fanbois) Not saying GW2 hasn't done ok for itself selling maybe a bit more then rifts expansion but its a far cry from dominating the market.

I doubt Rift's expansion even sold 1/10th of what GW2 did.

Nobody ever claimed that D3 got a luke warm showing, it had the highest 1 day sales in history for PC games and has sold over 10 million copies, thats the 5th top selling PC game of all time. Not sure many people would call that a 'luke warm showing'.   

Where do these people come from that think 3 million is a bad result?  Unbelievable. Most MMOs would kill to have those kind of numbers. The only MMO with higher sales is the elephant in the room, WoW (and GW1, but that wasnt really an MMO).

So yeah, aside from WoW, it pretty much did dominate the market compared to all other competitors. 

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by evilastro

Nobody ever claimed that D3 got a luke warm showing, it had the highest 1 day sales in history for PC games and has sold over 10 million copies, thats the 5th top selling PC game of all time. Not sure many people would call that a 'luke warm showing'.   

Where do these people come from that think 3 million is a bad result?  Unbelievable. Most MMOs would kill to have those kind of numbers. The only MMO with higher sales is the elephant in the room, WoW (and GW1, but that wasnt really an MMO).

So yeah, aside from WoW, it pretty much did dominate the market compared to all other competitors. 

Too bad no numbers on RIft.

And just arbitrarily saying "3 million is bad" is laughable.

Originally posted by Vapors
    Imo event he rifts in rift were more dynamic, since the whole area was burning after or was full of ice xD. I dont see what is so dynamic from bringing a big cow from 1 side to the other and all the gnoms are happy about saying thank you lol.

First play one of the zone events before making such claims, because it shows how much experience you have with GW2.

OTOH rifts were such dissapointment, without even expecting much lol

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Problem with the dynamic events in GW 2 is that they are cyclical, never final or even long term changeable, rather you either go forward in a dynamic event line or backward and depending on which state you are in then you might see a small change in the area. Such as NPC being able to trade or not or a particular mob being spawned or not.

However it is all non-consequential because if you "save" an outpost then as soon as players leave the area the outpost is then "lost" and then the players return and "save" it again and then it goes back and forth ad-nauseam. So the dynamic part is there but the changes are temporary  and does not matter in the long term so in the end you stop caring because you know it will just swing back and forth.

This is different from a more "real" conflict scenario where a victory or loss can be more permanent and have far greater consequences. That simply does not happen in GW 2 and hence why Dynamic Events are simply fluff. It is quest hubs evolved rather than replacing it with something which works fundamentally different. Like an outcome having long lasting changes and consequences in the virtual world.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    The "problem" seems to be that they aren't higgs boson-dynamic.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Yamota

Problem with the dynamic events in GW 2 is that they are cyclical, never final or even long term changeable, rather you either go forward in a dynamic event line or backward and depending on which state you are in then you might see a small change in the area. Such as NPC being able to trade or not or a particular mob being spawned or not.

However it is all non-consequential because if you "save" an outpost then as soon as players leave the area the outpost is then "lost" and then the players return and "save" it again and then it goes back and forth ad-nauseam. So the dynamic part is there but the changes are temporary  and does not matter in the long term so in the end you stop caring because you know it will just swing back and forth.

This is different from a more "real" conflict scenario where a victory or loss can be more permanent and have far greater consequences. That simply does not happen in GW 2 and hence why Dynamic Events are simply fluff. It is quest hubs evolved rather than replacing it with something which works fundamentally different. Like an outcome having long lasting changes and consequences in the virtual world.

Well thats one thing i would like to see, not really permanent because it would probably be very costly to produce such elaborate one off content, but with longer lasting consequences like week or so based on outcome of event.

Originally posted by mikahr

3 million is not bad but for a B2P game is rather average, considering the expectations of the IP. Keep in mind that SW:TOR sold 2 millions copies before going F2P and that is for a subscription based MMO. If GW 2 was sub. based it would have most likely sold far fewer copies.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

3 million is not bad but for a B2P game is rather average, considering the expectations of the IP. Keep in mind that SW:TOR sold 2 millions copies before going F2P and that is for a subscription based MMO. If GW 2 was sub. based it would have most likely sold far fewer copies.

Not saying you have to take it as canon but someone a while ago posted a link to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games

If you think 3 million is average where do you get that from? Cause when I look at the ones on this list that are at or around 3 million none of them are average. 

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Problem with the dynamic events in GW 2 is that they are cyclical, never final or even long term changeable.

2013 updates will have events that will change the world permantly depends how the players interact with sead events.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by Muntz

Not saying you have to take it as canon but someone a while ago posted a link to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games

If you think 3 million is average where do you get that from? Cause when I look at the ones on this list that are at or around 3 million none of them are average. 

I said average considering the expectations of the IP. This is not a no-name title we are talking about but rather a sequel to the highly successful Guild Wars. So for example if Diablo 3 only sold 3 million copies that would be poor, considering the Diable franchise is so huge. So for GW 2 I would say it is average, I think it was generally considered to sell more.

Originally posted by Torgrim

Problem with the dynamic events in GW 2 is that they are cyclical, never final or even long term changeable.

2013 updates will have events that will change the world permantly depends how the players interact with sead events.

And will those changes have actual consequences? Because if the change is just some cosmetical change in the terrrain, that would be an example of an outcome with poor impact/consequence.

If however we are talking about permentantly wiping out an NPC stronghold, responsible for sending waves of NPCs raiding the zone, or vice versa, that would be an example of an action leading to a big impact.

So far, what I saw in GW 2 leveling 1-80 was all near meaningless consequences. Like not being able to sell to an NPC, yeah so what. You can just fast travel and sell somewhere else. Pointless consequences...

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by gotha

They are not dynamic but also 20 times funner then the old questing model.  They also really do breath life into the world.

3 million sold,  if this game keeps going to might be competing with WoW.  WoW did not become the king right after launch it built its way up.

You do realize WoW sold *a lot more* than the 10 million active users represent as a number today, right?

ONTOPIC: There doesn't seem to be any evidence of people being "sick" of dynamic events the same as there is no evidence that everyone loves the hell out of them. OP probably has some anecdotal evidence (a friend that quit GW2).

The problem with TRULY dynamic events is that once they've run their course just ONCE, that's it. If you were there -GREAT, you were a part of it, but seriously, that is a HUGE waste of development time for something nobody will see. Sadly, it would've been great.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

One problem I see is that an event being dynamic is not enough, it also has to be fun and interesting. Collecting 15 eggs and putting them into a basket is not fun or interesting no matter how you encountered the quest. Period.

Also, they seem to cycle so quickly. For example there is a quest in the Norn area dealing with a rampaging Minotaur. Every single time I ran through the particular area there was a group of people chasing the same minotaur. If it's always there it does not appear dynamic even if it is from a technology standpoint.

I don't know. I personally think, for me,  that some of the features of GW2 just sounded so much better on paper than they turned out to be in reality. 

Dynamic or static is not the issue for me, in the end I just want it to be fun, interesting, and memorable.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

They are cooler than I expected before playing the game.  First of all, they are superior to the old 'quest log' system pretty much in every way.  Having to go back and forth between NPCs and reading through quest logs to find the one you want is annoying and a waste.

Seeing the 'new event' announcement pop up is simple and elegant, and in its own way exciting.  It breaks monotomy of whatever I was doing, and I take a look at the text in top right to see if I may want to participate.  I would never expect dynamic events to have a serious impression on the world; that sort of thing only happens in games like EVE, which is rare there and boring anyways.  Even in planetside 2 taking down gens, enemy ams, capping bases, etc...  All these things you can do they don't -really- matter.  Silly to think they would.

But here is where GW2 starts to surprise...  Some of these dynamic quests are strung together to tell fun stories.  Doing one might unlock another that is some odd mini-game or such.  Sometimes they culminate in some big boss with cool visuals or spells or challenging fights.

Then sometimes you realize that you are making a difference.  Some dynamic events can open up passages for yourself and other players into whole areas that were unaccessable before.  Some quests open up dungeons that used to be contested, or waypoints that you will need in case you die during whatever else you were planning to do.  This is especially true I noticed in the level 80 areas where there aren't a lot of waypoints to res at.

And finally, there are some really EFing crazy quests that surprise you and wow you.  The best moments in this game I have had were from really crazy dynamic events.  Sometimes you have no idea they are coming and BAM they are there.  You hear roaring once, and you wonder what it was.  Then 1 min later, more roaring.  Then you think you saw something in the sky but you arent sure.  Then you could have sworn you saw it again, and you took a screenshot this time!  Then all the NPCs are running around nuts like talking about a dragon attack, and BAM a dragon is right in your face.  Maybe another group pulled the dragon by completing some dynamic events, or maybe it was on a timer or whatever, depending on the dragon I think its different for each.  Cool though.  Awesome boss battle...  No planning or such to raid a dungeon or any of that nonsense.  Everyone just comes together to enjoy something cool.

A lot of times it starts with people in map chat or guild chat asking for help with a big boss, so you join up and do 1-3 string of dynamic events leading to some really cool stuff.  It is rather fun...  Much better than doing quests solo or grouping to do quests made for people to solo.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

dynamic events in gw2 was supposed to be revolutionary ,but a couple months down the line and it  seems as if people are fed up with the game. 

I haven't had the privilege of playing the game, so i wanted to ask all you gamers. what happened. i thought the dynamic events meant that the maps were not static. things were constantly changing plus you have an influence over what happened in the game. isnt that what you guys wanted. 

its sad too see another game,so hyped fall below par.. i guess WOW will dominate untll they close their servers 

Not sure if you have posted for reasons stated above, but I'm having a blast with GW2. DE are not revolutionary thing (essentially are kind of rifts or war public quests, ... etc etc) but stil added value to game. Still my no1 is split between swtor and wow. 

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

I don't mind too much myself.

But they aren't DYNAMIC.. 

It's the same thing, at the same place, at the same times...

That's pretty static damn static lol

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

WOW troll detected.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Torgrim

And will those changes have actual consequences? Because if the change is just some cosmetical change in the terrrain, that would be an example of an outcome with poor impact/consequence.

If however we are talking about permentantly wiping out an NPC stronghold, responsible for sending waves of NPCs raiding the zone, or vice versa, that would be an example of an action leading to a big impact.

So far, what I saw in GW 2 leveling 1-80 was all near meaningless consequences. Like not being able to sell to an NPC, yeah so what. You can just fast travel and sell somewhere else. Pointless consequences...

That remains to be seen.

They are.

What that word means in it's simple form is....change

Anet changed the quest mechanics so instead of static quest hubs A---B--C you have DE instead.

What some people for some odd reason thought that the Dynamic Events somehow had Skynets AI with no scriptsimage

This discussion has been closed.