Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Flame & Frost: Prelude Coming January 28th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has released the first information about the first monthly update. Called "Flame & Frost", the event is set to go live on January 28th and will feature guesting, an improved achievement system and laurels, upgrades and new items in the Gem Store.

We’re adding a new rotation of daily achievements to add variety and encourage you to explore the open world. You’ll get different achievements every day of the week and a new achievement tracker in the UI to make it easier to track your progress.

Check out the teaser site on the main Guild Wars 2 page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

nice. read the page. on top of things as usual.

Anet = awsomess!

keeping my interest in the game.

• xArsonistxxArsonistx Member Posts: 31
    Lol Another gear check anyoneeeee? hah. these guys.
  • Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Another glorious update coming from ANET, amazing work !!!

Haters start complaining in

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    *yawn* achievements...yippy doo...zzzz

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

But now you can trade achievements for loot.

Read whole article before commenting.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Looks good. I wonder if it means those 2 northern maps will be changed.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

But now you can trade achievements for loot.

Read whole article before commenting.

Grotar said I had to insert hate here...do I did zzzzz ;)

Idc what this game offers. I wont download it again. The combat was just not for me. Got my moneys worth though so woot woot.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Anet keep on delivering! Not seen this many new stories and adventures since...  actually, cant think of any MMOs that month on month bring big events and updates like this. Good job.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Can't wait!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

So Laurels are obtained by achievements which will get you ascended gear and infusions, I wonder how many and that's cool that we can now get this stuff pve and wvw. No need to do dungeons anymore. I think that's what most people where complaining about, which shouldn't make it that much of an gear grind no more...I think.

I am curious though how this will be spinned by the people on this forum.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Where's my WvW progression Anet? 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    This is good news when a company decides to work on the exsisting game and move it forward when what they have is working and right Instead of adding new to it and not fixing whats there. Lets hope they stick to there guns and keeps making what they have better before they add more to the world.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by boxsnd

But i thought you had stopped playing the game ages ago. You remind us of that fact in practically every post. What would you want WvW progression or progression of any kind in a game you dislike so much? Time to move on to other games, man. 

Originally posted by nolic1
    This is good news when a company decides to work on the exsisting game and move it forward when what they have is working and right Instead of adding new to it and not fixing whats there. Lets hope they stick to there guns and keeps making what they have better before they add more to the world.

I agree but reading it I can't tell if they are adding content or not at the same time, at least for this description...

The sky falls and the ground shakes in the lands of the north. Charr and norn refugees crawl from the wreckage of their homes in the Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau, struggling to find shelter in the south. The call goes out for volunteers to assist the victims in this time of need, when earth and sky seem to have become the enemy…

Flame and Frost: Prelude is the prologue to a multi-stage narrative that will bring big changes to Guild Wars 2 in the months to come.

Or you just mean adding new zones or something?

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by RizelStar

I agree but reading it I can't tell if they are adding content or not at the same time, at least for this description...

The sky falls and the ground shakes in the lands of the north. Charr and norn refugees crawl from the wreckage of their homes in the Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau, struggling to find shelter in the south. The call goes out for volunteers to assist the victims in this time of need, when earth and sky seem to have become the enemy…

Flame and Frost: Prelude is the prologue to a multi-stage narrative that will bring big changes to Guild Wars 2 in the months to come.

They are adding new events into existing zones: Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Greaaaat!

Awesome to be able to adquire "Ascended" gear also by the new achievements system!!!

Time to give Fractals a break & go back out there!

imageimageimage

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

They are adding new events into existing zones: Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau.

Zeus is right they are adding to the game by adding new events to the existing world and making it more for players to want to go to those ares and play there again.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Riding Brooms

..mount.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    So some dailies and a new currency grind. Hmmm. Well better than valor points and motes of harmony I suppose.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by Zzad

Greaaaat!

Awesome to be able to adquire "Ascended" gear also by the new achievements system!!!

Time to give Fractals a break & go back out there!

imageimageimage

Hopfully more feel the same, though they are making it easier to get into fractal groups, which is great too!

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by freston
    Originally posted by boxsnd

But i thought you had stopped playing the game ages ago. You remind us of that fact in practically every post. What would you want WvW progression or progression of any kind in a game you dislike so much? Time to move on to other games, man. 

I don't hate the game, I'm just disappointed. I will give it another chance when they implement WvW progression (and fix culling).

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Great news, saw it a few minutes before it got uploaded here. I like how they are updating the game, in the right direction.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR
    So some dailies and a new currency grind. Hmmm. Well better than valor points and motes of harmony I suppose.

A themepark will be a themepark image

Though i am really glad they are adding other ways to get ascended gear.

Zeus is right they are adding to the game by adding new events to the existing world and making it more for players to want to go to those ares and play there again.

Oh I took adding more to the world as in adding new events to the existing world but ok, gotcha I'm sure I was wrong (not being sarcastic seriousely).

So it just answered my question Yes

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I haven't been tempted by anything in the cash shop before, but OH MY GOD BABY QUAGGAN BACKPACK!!!!

That is amazing!

Also the rest of the update looks good too :)