Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Jay Wilson's Departure Stirs Angry Debate

124»

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by catlana
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    I guess this officially makes Diabo 3 a failure. I'm sad really because i love the franchise but the steps they took forward with Diablo 3 sure ruined the Diablo name. I never thought this would happen to such a great franchise, or should I say once was great.

I was also very disappointed with Diablo 3. The over simplification of stats and skills. The extremely easy gameplay that I was told to suffer through so the game would get better. The RM auction house being the center of the game. The inability of people to login (error 37) and play. The relationship to the fans and creators of previous games (ala "fuck that loser"). I am not planning on ever buying another Diablo game again.   

Ah yes, the error codes.

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by expresso
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Long time Diablo 1 & 2 player who was looking forward to this game.  Never have been so disappointed in a game before.  Worst itemization I have seen.  Drops were horrid, the only way to equip your character was off the auction house.  Sorry, rather find my equipment.  Hence I gave the game to my son, who soon ditched it too.

The pvp never materialized and the patches do little to fix the game.  Heck I would have accepted a graphically updated Diablo II over this any day in the week.

So yeah, Jay Wilson basically blew it.  Anyone attempting to say nice things about the job he did, did not play the game much.

You do realise the items on the AH were found by REAL players,

Botting is a major issue in D3, head over to the Demonbuddy forums and look at how many people are talking about running 10+ bots at the same time. Nothing you see on the AH was necessarily found by a real player.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by birdycephon

It's not broken by any means. It is exactly the way it was desined to be, and that is, it encourages trade between players.

There's a diference between encouraging trade between players and forcing players to trade to get even the basic gear they need .

An item that has a 1 in 10000 chance to drop means there will probably be quite a few on an AH for sale with a population as large as D3 started with....it also means you'll probably never find it.

That's how you force people to trade.

Anything that's a 1 in 10000 chance of a drop is NOT basic gear, it's exceptional gear.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

how can you not hate D3  , RMAH worse idea every, just causes so much greed, people played in hopes to get rich not have fun.

ok not all people, but sadly some.

all i can say is FY blizzard.

GO PATH OF EXILE show them how these games should be made.  NZ's GGG FTW !!!

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Psychow
    I never had any intention of PvPing on D3. I guess I'm a story fanboy and thus D3 is an amazingly good game...to me.

Story?   The story in D3 is crap.   I found the follower remarks to be more entertaining.  I would reccommend you spend some time playing D1 and D2 to an idea of how the diablo story should have been told.  

D3 is the biggest dissappointment of 2012 and possibly of this century.  I may even spot it above SWG's NGE.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    I actually liked Diablo 3. I can't see why people prefer a cheap knockoff to a polished and refined game like Diablo 3.

polished and refined?? HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I spit my coffe all over the screen

Thanks for the laugh ;)

• ClaumClaum Member Posts: 63

Rob Pardo kicking David Brevik and hire Jay Wilson to diablo franchise is a big mistake, don't ruin other Bizz games with him but i fear that you don't have any good people in the company anymore.

Not making a new mmo and instead making Panda and RMAH in D3 show's that you don't have any worthy people of true gaming in your company. Players are not so stupid. I think it's time to worry. You sold your soul to the money devil with RMAH . You going to get what you deserve

Every game is fighting against cheaters and you legalize it with RMAH :D there is no reason to play that game. I hope Path of Exile turns to be a good rpg and teach you a lesson. Blizzard was always my hope of gaming now I hate that company and I hate everybody who works for it. 

Sorry Rob that’s my true feeling.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I quit diablo about 4-5 months ago.  Out of sheer boredom, I decided to log in on my Witch Doctor 2 days ago who was previously stuck in Act 2 inferno on that boss who would one shot me (forgot his name) when he would have the green explosions on the ground...

Anyways, i'm actually enjoying the game a lot.  They either drastically buffed Witch Doctors or (more likely) they nerfed inferno.  Now, I cannot be 1 shot killed (thank god).  About an hour ago, I killed Diablo on Inferno for the first time.  Prices seem like they have generally dropped on most items in the AH, which im thankful for.  I bought a legendary helm and a nice 1 hander for just under 3 million - both HUGE upgrades that would have been in the 10s of millions a few months ago.

I'm now doing Monster Power 1 inferno and I REALLY like the difficulty increase and I feel its just right.   I also like how I can continue to level up my stats through the paragon level system.

All in all, I think they have improved the game a LOT since release and the best part is I don't feel like i'm bashing my face in a wall in Inferno anymore.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I'm seeing quite the simplistic statements made here. And they're all against D3. I think that pretty much sums it up, heh.
  • deven07deven07 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I cant really comment here because blizzard banned me and i still can't figure out why...i think i almost got to the end of the newb zone before the lock out. Sounds to me like they did me a favor...
  • xtrabulletsxtrabullets Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Garbage game is garbage. Runic takes less than half the time with TL2 and brings out a far superior ARPG. An Indie company with practically no funding besides from fans makes a better ARPG. Blizzard should be completely ashamed of this so called game for its fans. Any improvements made to this game while the RMAH still lives is only a ploy to get you back to spend your money. If you guys don't see that then you're exactly the kind of retarded customer they're looking for...

Completely DISAGREE.

Items on the RMAH are found by players. Yes. But when you have countless people running 24-7 bots, the RMAH becomes completely packed. The prices drive down to nothing.

So let's take Player A who spends 700 hours earning the best gear. He enters into the PvP Arena and get's 1-shot by 30 hour Player B (who got a $50 bnet gift card for Christmas).

RMAH isn't needed for some story fanboy. But most players who play play to be competitive. RMAH doesn't belong in a competitive game.

Diablo 3 is simply bad and the publicity is proof.

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !!!!

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    Of course Pardo is gonna defend Jay Wilson...from Blizzard corporate's point of view game was a rousing success! The game is about the RMAH now...the mechanics are dumbed down and boring...this allows more people to play it due to it's simplified nature. There are just better offerings on the market...TL2 and Path of Exile for sure. Todays blizzard isn't the same company that brought us D1 and D2...nor is it the same company that brought us WC 1-3 and even Vanilla wow. Todays blizzard is made up of greey corporate swine and developers that are more interested in doing interviews about how great the games they make are then actually make great games. Jay Wilson is an arrogant and inept man...and quite honestly it's nasueating to see how many fanboi's are lining up to suck a fart out of his ass.
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

Diablo 3 is okay, but not great.  It has a 6.6 user rating here and a 3.3 rating on Metascore.  I don't think it won any Game of the Year, or ARPG of the Year awards. (In fact, there were some cases where Diablo 3 was only mentioned, in unfavorable words, when the award was given to another game. Ouch.)

Clearly the A and B talent at Blizzard is on Titan, the C talent is on WoW, and Jay and his team are on Diablo.  Its release was sloppy, the game play is too simple and dull, it suffers HD and network lag, and its longevity (running bits of Act 3 over and over again) is horrid.

Blizzard's greatest asset - "We release a game when its ready" - was greatly diminished with Diablo 3.  I no longer see Blizzard as a top-tier game company, and no longer trust them.  I will wait for the reviews before I buy another one of their games.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I don't buy what he said about Jay and it being his fault etc for one second. Sorry, just way too cookie cutter damage control for me.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    I don't buy what he said about Jay and it being his fault etc for one second. Sorry, just way too cookie cutter damage control for me.

I don't mind letting them share the blame personally lol. Rob Pardo hired Jay Wilson, so thats where his blame comes in. Jay delivered us garbage and thought he was gods gift to gaming while he did it going so far as to try and talk trash about and to the original Diablo 1 and 2 devs. 

In the end D3 was a financial success regardless of its almost universal dissapointment. Blizzard banked on the title so Jay's likely got a bright future in the company. Though in the process the Diablo franchise was pretty much killed and will not have the same appeal and pull it once had due to all of this and Blizzards image has taken a pretty big hit as well. The effects won't be imediately noticable and when they finally are its going to be written off as something else due to egos and pride. "We made money so it must have been a good game" 

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by Psychow
    I never had any intention of PvPing on D3. I guess I'm a story fanboy and thus D3 is an amazingly good game...to me.

Exactly how I feel. Thanks for stating it so succinctly. :)

I liked the story, and the gameplay, nothing wrong there, so I agree it's a good game. However, the auction house killed one of the core feelings of Diablo, and it's the discovery of better gear for your self through the action (and not the AH).

While I enjoyed the game, I entered the AH every few levels to upgrade my gear. I tried not to, but then I felt like I'm just an idiot because I had the gold sitting in my pockets and I knew I could upgrade my gear in 5 minutes. I didnt get a single item drop that I equipped in the entire time I played the game via gameplay.

I disagree with the people saying that I dont have to buy gear from AH. It simply does not work since the uber gear is easily and cheaply available through the AH. Gimping your self on purpose simply does not work, saying otherwise is a poor attempt at defending games, usually P2W games.

My verdict on the game is, it's a good game for the story part on play through 1 and for smooth gameplay, but it completely lacks the item hunting aspect that made the elder Diablos last longer for me.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

I don't mind letting them share the blame personally lol. Rob Pardo hired Jay Wilson, so thats where his blame comes in. Jay delivered us garbage and thought he was gods gift to gaming while he did it going so far as to try and talk trash about and to the original Diablo 1 and 2 devs. 

In the end D3 was a financial success regardless of its almost universal dissapointment. Blizzard banked on the title so Jay's likely got a bright future in the company. Though in the process the Diablo franchise was pretty much killed and will not have the same appeal and pull it once had due to all of this and Blizzards image has taken a pretty as well. The effects won't be imediately noticable and when they finally are its going to be written off as something else due to egos and pride. "We made money so it must have been a good game" 

You are right, well said sir. It was a success, but will 80k-200k people still be playing it in 10 years like they did with D2? I just can't see it, but maybe now they can deliver what the fans wanted all along. I'll give them a hopeful nod of appreciation :p

I just felt like the story was lacking and key gameplay elements that made diablo, well, diablo.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Omg D3 20 negative feedback , 1 positive feedback.

Honestly i tell you that first i saw the d3 trailer with Monk, i knew this is stinky. The monk trailer was so unprofesional not typical Blizzard trailer type. I knew all the way that something's wrong.  It's not only Jay's fault but the whole Blizzard company. And yed RMAH is one fo the main reason the game fails. Only worth game they have at the moment is  SC2.   I'm very curious if there is going to be any Blizzcon in the future and how much people want to go there ? :D I don't think people are interested to much in D3 or Panda WoW. I think Activision is the main problem anyway , Blizzard North was gameworthy only.

• HcRpgerHcRpger Member Posts: 31

To me D3 and its' failure have permanently dented the view I previously had regarding Blizzard.

Jay Wilson might not be completely responsible for this, but he was in charge of the project, so big part of the blame falls on him.

Although, that being said, Blizzard and the quality of its games has gone down in general. D3, SC2 and WoW are, in my opinion anyway, good examples of this.

And now the speculation is that Wilson is moving on the a new project, this could be "Titan", so that looks bad as well.