Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PoE is hyped #1 = proof of MMO stagnation

meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

You don't need any more proof of how stale and uninspiring the MMO genre has become that Diablo clone Path of Exile now has the #1 hype spot on this site. In case anybody wants to argue PoE is an MMO, here's what the devs themselves say:

We do not classify Path of Exile as an MMORPG. It is a competitive online action RPG, and has little in common with games that are typically given the MMORPG moniker.

http://www.pathofexile.com/about/

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Sorry you must have missed the train.

This site lost the requirement of "MM" and "RP" in the games they list a long, long time ago.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    All it proves, if anything, is that a lot of people hyped PoE, nothing more, nothing less.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Should not really be on this site... but POE is an awesome game and is basically what D3 should have been instead of the pile of crap blizzard gave us lol..
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Or proof of the hipster / cynicism of posters here
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    l don't see how it proves anything. This site hasn't been just about MMOs for ages and IIRC Guild Wars 1 was the top-rated game for a long time. It's not an MMO, either.
  • RobinffsRobinffs Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Why doesn't they just rename the site to og.com (online games)?
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

PoE = overhyped mess, people call the passive skill system complex....so not true, it just gives the illusion of complexity because it not a pull down tree or offers seperate pages for classes that you can pick from (ala Raiderz).

I laugh when people say the art style is what D3 should have been.....what?? In circa 1990??!

Even with Diablo 3's supposedly weak story( which is still passible seing how D1 and D2 barely had much better ), PoE basically has none...

Classes are uninspiring, and feel unnecessary since you can use any weapon/armour as long as you meet the pre-req, animations are weak, even the movement feels like D1 more than a new game in 2013...

I've played PoE since the summer off and on.....wasn't good when I started, wasn't good when I uninstalled it 2 weeks ago...

I bought D3 two weeks ago, and well it's immensly more fun than PoE IMO....

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by meddyck

You don't need any more proof of how stale and uninspiring the MMO genre has become that Diablo clone Path of Exile now has the #1 hype spot on this site. In case anybody wants to argue PoE is an MMO, here's what the devs themselves say:

We do not classify Path of Exile as an MMORPG. It is a competitive online action RPG, and has little in common with games that are typically given the MMORPG moniker.

Have you seen this http://steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/1071-black-desert-online-preview-2 ?

Dunno why this game isnt on this site...... Looks like masterpiece smth that themepark and sandbox fans have been waiting for.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

It is more like proof that mmorpg genre is significantly smaller than other.

Maybe you are just delusioned that there are even that many mmorpg player.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Robinffs

why not just have two sections for each?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Well to be honest, people have good reason to get excited because Diablo 3 was such a let down to those people waiting for another dark and gritty demon slayer...so here it is..this is what they waited for.

I've been playing the closed beta and it is different enough from other hack n slash that I think it will get a lot of good attention from hack n slash lovers.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Byrhofen
    All it proves, if anything, is that a lot of people hyped PoE, nothing more, nothing less.

or that MMO players also like other genres! SHOCKING! :O

Seems like a good game. Beta release is tommorow. So it's logical is getting a higher hype right now. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I agree OP.  Whatever genre you want to call Diablo/PoE it doesn't get more brainless.  I'm suprised they even use action in the  title for those simple clickfests.  I used to find them mildly entertaining before I played EQ back in the day.  I tried torchlight a few years ago and couldn't believe I used to play those type of games.  It's really tough to understand how Blizzard screwed up D3 with it being such a simple genre.

I think its fine that this site is talking about Diablo clones.  I just can't believe these type of games are still popular.

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

Played it in early CB for a few months and it was alright. The skill tree is only overwhelming at first because it looks like some sort of star chart but once you actually get into it it's not really that difficult to grasp. Look ahead and around it for key skills you want then decide on the path with the nodes you think will benefit you the most on the way to that key one. I still like it more than the traditional skill trees.

Other than that, movement and animations were very unrefined and clunky, it did not feel that good to play. Some of it was satisfying and some of it was infuriating due to the clunkyness of it but, it was in CB after all. It was fun for a while but I wasn't all too impressed by it, the level design was pretty cool though, may be one of the much better aspects of PoE.

As for diablo vs PoE? Hell if I know, was never a diablo fan. I would say torchlight is much better in terms of gameplay, story, "fun", graphics, polish, and level design but in the end its up to what the user prefers. I hate the torchlight skills, they seem extremely weak and boring. Even in PoE I had a similar problem, skills just seemed really weak and the fact that respeccing was such a pain in the ass it discouraged players from experimenting.

I'm not surprised it's #1, I think most people came off of D3 as a huge disappointment so they're trying to find the next best thing that's similar to it and that's what PoE is.

Oh and the skills are pretty underwhelming. They hyped up the skill slotting and combining with other skills to create different skills way too much. It's not nearly as fun as it sounds. I don't know if it has changed at all but back when I played there weren't any graphical changes, it was just doing more damage or behaved in a slightly different way, so that was a pretty big let down for me.

• BombzawayBombzaway Member UncommonPosts: 78

Its absurd how anybody actually has anything bad to say about this game. First off, its F2P with 0% chance of a pay to win as specificly stated by the developers, those same develpors that are constantly on forums answering questions etc.

So just knowing that its not Pay to win puts it above of 95% F2P games coming out in the next 30 days regarding hype.

Game is easy, uninspiring, skills dont pack a punch? Stop playing scrubcore, man up and find yourself sweating cold, fighting bosses, where every skill node counts for your survival.

I personally am a huge D2 fan , ARPG fan, have played D3, own Torchlight 2 and POE hands down swipes all those games off there feet... for complexity for innovation, for customization and for the simple fact that you can't full respec, meaning the weak minded will just copy/paste winning builds(if the can get there hands on them) but for the immaginative the possibilities are almost endless.

• ClarkMallowClarkMallow Member Posts: 7

It's astonishing that some people can think PoE is a clone, and that it's a simple game. Seriously go try it before you talk. It has 1000 times more complex mechanics than D3, and has much more possibilites in terms of gameplay, of builds. It does look like D2, but again play it past lvl 10 before you talk nonsense.

Its success is highly deserved, more than D3 even if I like both. And of course it's not an MMO, but if mmorpg.com wants to talk about online RPGs in general then PoE is at its place. If not, the site should be clear about that and only talk about MMOs, simple. Now stop raging, if you don't like Path of Exile just don't talk about it, it would be great.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Sorry you must have missed the train.

This site lost the requirement of "MM" and "RP" in the games they list a long, long time ago.

Don't strictly need the "O" either.

OP you don't think the 'soft launch' (what they call OB) tomorrow might be a lot to do with it?

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Then they couldn't cover games like Amalur and other single playe games...... How about g.com though the domain might be expensive!

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

If D3 can be on this site, then PoE should heck as be.  I've been casually following the game for a while... even vaguely remember when it was first announced many many moons and sunrises ago.

For the record, I liked D3 for what it was.  There was a "charm" to it that was appealing.  What it did lack was the long-term, engaging gameplay that D2 was famous for.

I think GGG has some great ideas and you can tell they love the genre and PoE... can't wait to play it.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I'd say its more proof of how meaningless the hypemeter here really is. Last month DFUW was the biggets hype , every month its slightly different when a small fanbase figures more hype will help and makes tons of alt accounts to hype their game of the month.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Gorilla

Then they couldn't cover games like Amalur and other single playe games...... How about g.com though the domain might be expensive!

Purests are funny. If you don't like that MMORPG.COM covers games that don't fall into your strict opinion of MMO's (even though theres alot of interest in said games) you can always go elsewhere right? You know walk the walk instead of just talk the talk.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    And DF:UW was #1 on the list for a while... guess that proves that everyone wants open world, sandbox, PvP centric MMOs image
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by winter

I'd say its more proof of how meaningless the hypemeter here really is. Last month DFUW was the biggets hype , every month its slightly different when a small fanbase figures more hype will help and makes tons of alt accounts to hype their game of the month.

Nope, it's more of that whenever a game comes out with something via announcement or some talk or a demo  then that jumps up their hype significantly. 

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    I thought it was F2P? If it sucks I loose nothing giving it a try. Win Win.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    no .. it only proves that MMOs are close in play-style to online ARPG like D3 and PoE.