Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dust514...the turkey has nearly landed for CCP?

IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Well peeps, as we all know CCP have one niche  gaming hit in EVE online and CCP has been developing a console FPS MMO for release in 2013. Now what not everyone realises is that Dust and EVE servers are merging soon (Dust is at open beta stage now, I hope and think :) , so the Dust514 squadies (sorry Xcom term here) will be able to chat to EVE players in their space ships, join corps, and influence the EVE universe. It is a first... a console FPS mmo interfacing with a space ship mmo. 

Now since both games have an out of game cash shops it is possible for players to influence the now combined EVE larger universe both through in-game actions and out of game credit card purchases. Now at the beta stage this is blocked, but CCP have gone on the record with Eurogamer site stating...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-09-eve-online-dust-514-servers-will-merge-tomorrow

""So, for this first release, any ISK transfer between EVE and DUST characters will be blocked. This will then be replaced by a taxable transfer mechanism with the intention of easing the currency control to 0% and removing it entirely once we are happy the economies have reached an equilibrium."

We all know that EVE is a game that has developed an intricate in game economic system...wil the banks and corps be busted by Dust squadies taking down planets?

Also with standalone FPS mmo Planetside 2 going down a treat for PC gamers recently, do we actually need this strange hybrid of console gaming and PC gaming that CCP are embarking upon.

Please feel free to comment on the Dust:EVE changes going down right now ^^

Dust514BoxArt.jpg

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

"Now since both games have an out of game cash shops it is possible for players to influence the now combined EVE larger universe both through in-game actions and out of game credit card purchases."

This is a pretty dishonest assertion. Both games have a vanity cash shop, but I would love to hear you explain how buying a monocole from the NEX will allow one to influence what happens in Dust, or how buying a faction skinned weapon in Dust matters in EVE.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    In before the 9,374th whine about this being on the PS3.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Q: We all know that EVE is a game that has developed an intricate in game economic system...wil the banks and corps be busted by Dust squadies taking down planets?

A: So, for this first release, any ISK transfer between EVE and DUST characters will be blocked. This will then be replaced by a taxable transfer mechanism with the intention of easing the currency control to 0% and removing it entirely once we are happy the economies have reached an equilibrium.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Malcanis

This is a pretty dishonest assertion.

Consider the source. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

"Now since both games have an out of game cash shops it is possible for players to influence the now combined EVE larger universe both through in-game actions and out of game credit card purchases."

This is a pretty dishonest assertion. Both games have a vanity cash shop, but I would love to hear you explain how buying a monocole from the NEX will allow one to influence what happens in Dust, or how buying a faction skinned weapon in Dust matters in EVE.

Don't you think they mean giving a dust player 1 billion isk to buy a bunch of dropsuits only to resell them for a massive mark-up?

This is not a game.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

You just happend to post a doom and gloom post on the day the open beta kicks off?

You must really hate CCP with a vengence...

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

The great experiment. 

The most interesting scenario to me would be if the game was a critical flop with reviewers (based on the gameplay as a standalone FPS) but then slowly starts to accumulate users as players are slowly lured to the database and the web of consequences of their actions.  That would prove that it was the shared universe that was making the difference.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Zeroxin

Don't you think they mean giving a dust player 1 billion isk to buy a bunch of dropsuits only to resell them for a massive mark-up?

assuming someone does give a dust player a billion isk, which is a pretty huge ask, then it just means a dust player has been given a billion isk, or are you trying to insinuate that a dust player can somehow convert that isk to real money ?

as an Eve player with several billion isk, i automatically win all my fights.. oh wait. no i don't..  actually i 'rarely win' because isk doesnt make any difference, and theres nothing i can buy that changes that. It does mean though, that i can recover from losses quicker.. but .. you probably didnt mean that image

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I'm not all that familiar with Dust514 but why are the two games linked?? It doesnt seem to make much sense, especially with one being a console game only......
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    I'm not all that familiar with Dust514 but why are the two games linked?? It doesnt seem to make much sense, especially with one being a console game only......

The contracts that the DUST 514 players take are currently NPC contracts, but they are still for control of planetary disctricts in the Faction Warfare area. What that means is that certain battles will affect the control of systems in EVE. Eventually, EVE players will be able to issue contracts to the DUST 514 players/corps allowing the EVE players to hire them directly as mercenary forces to control systems. The contested systems currently are in Empire space, and the plans from there are eventually to look toward null space influence.

• jpjesterjpjester Member Posts: 16
    I have played Eve for 10 years. Generally, I don't like the Eve combat PVP, so I avoid it. I have a PS3. So I loaded up Dust. Bought  the PS3 for my kid. I never play it. So, I played Dust last night. I had fun. I sucked, but I had fun. It is very Eve like in its mechanics. My nephew and my boys have the other two character slots. They play FPS games all the time. They absolutely love it. My nephew, who is in his twenties loves both the combat and complexity the game offers. The game is a good start on what will be a long road of improvement and growth.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    DUST 514 is a good game - I enjoy it.