Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance is my top pick for a MMORPG in 2013.

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The game is a typical Trion-game.

It contains a multitude of bad concept-choices, repetitive content in disguise and various other issues, altogether similar to what we know from Rift.

Also, as a Trion game, there is almost nothing about it in any way original -because just like they did with Rift, Trion again picked together every aspect of Defiance from other/previous games. So just like Rift, Defiance plays like a medley of other titles that got released over recent years.

Hence just as Rift, the game will miss the big mark and dwindle into nothingness within the first year post release.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

Very generic shooter + very generic MMO = Defiance.

There is nothing new in this game, just the same mechanics you've all played before.

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by urbanmech

Very generic shooter + very generic MMO = Defiance.

There is nothing new in this game, just the same mechanics you've all played before.

I agree with this. Got bored after a few hours of playing.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    i'm in the beta. WildStar is better. that's about all i can say. WS will be better and likely perform better too. especially with those who want sandbox features but strangely also want a thempark game(judging by the performance of every non-EVE SB that's damn near aeveryone). 

I'm not in the beta but the vague references to the game ive been reading elsewhere this weekend all seem to say "nothing special".

what game? must be talking about firefall...err defiance.

Having played both, they are pretty drastically different and have polar opposite strengths and weaknesses. 

Originally posted by the420kid

The defiance engine is OLD.. its apparent from the first moment you play the game this is a seriously old engine, however it is smooth and clean but theres nothing fancy or shiny about it.

No it's not. It's a new engine, it's just a cross platform engine,  you can't have a PC level graphics for an MMO on a console.  Having said that, the game looks fine.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Ghostshadows

They couldnt even pay me to play this cheeseball of a game omg!

Was looking forward to it thinking it might be like Tabula Rasa or something but meh

Thought Trion could do better after seeing Rift but this was horrible after a few hrs it was uninstalled and crossed off my sights. 

OP must be delusional if you think its mmo of 2013 LOL!

well its better than Tabula Rasa LOL thats for sure that game was just pure bad.. at least the combat in this is proper 3rd person instead in Tabulas  pretend 3rd person but really tab target combat lol..

Saying that Defiance is nothing special really.. character models look nice and so does the world.. gameplay wise it was just missing somthing.

No reason to group up with people other than to destroy the shard things or whatever they are called.. like Rifts invasions.. but you just turn up and shoot. Talking about shooting, you have an ammo count but your never gonna run out lol unless you sit there firing into the air..

Story was pretty good tho but I think they have put too much time into that instead of maknig it a proper MMO..

Will be interesting to see how this works with the TV series tho..

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

This game is supposed to be subscription based (going from the description here) but the pre-order options all say 'No Subscription'.

Is it that there is a sub but pre-orders get the 'bonus' of not having a monthly cost?

(And the Gamestop $150 box mentions among everything else, DLC Season pass?)

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Originally posted by Ambros123

I call that players actions influence the show as total BS.  Storyboard writers spend months and months prepping a story and an entire season is lined out, or at least a vast majority is. 

Perhaps players actions might see some minor influence in the show but I highly doubt that it will have much incluence in the show.  And it will certainly not be to the degree that many here will proclaim it to be.  This is definately a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of promise.

I see it more like the show effecting the gameplay storyline. Not the other way around. The show is already written.

Well, the show's setting will be St. Louis.  And, from what I can tell(I haven't played it) the game will be set in San Francisco or the like.  So, in reality, they can have two separate storylines that reference each other in some way.

So, one could affect the other's overall world without completely wrecking their plot/plans.  But, still it'll be more of an illusion than actually altering the world or show's storyline, would be my guess.  I can picture vague comments about what happened in the game in the show, or something that happens in the show changing the game, but like Ambros said, I don't think they are going to be altering the show's script.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Lokero
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Originally posted by Ambros123

I call that players actions influence the show as total BS.  Storyboard writers spend months and months prepping a story and an entire season is lined out, or at least a vast majority is. 

Perhaps players actions might see some minor influence in the show but I highly doubt that it will have much incluence in the show.  And it will certainly not be to the degree that many here will proclaim it to be.  This is definately a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of promise.

I see it more like the show effecting the gameplay storyline. Not the other way around. The show is already written.

Well, the show's setting will be St. Louis.  And, from what I can tell(I haven't played it) the game will be set in San Francisco or the like.  So, in reality, they can have two separate storylines that reference each other in some way.

So, one could affect the other's overall world without completely wrecking their plot/plans.  But, still it'll be more of an illusion than actually altering the world or show's storyline, would be my guess.  I can picture vague comments about what happened in the game in the show, or something that happens in the show changing the game, but like Ambros said, I don't think they are going to be altering the show's script.

i have to agree with this plus it takes weeks to make a episode for most tv shows and vicxe versa with games i dont see quick changes based on what happens in the other unless its dont in advance,

most likely its all plotted out what the changes will be as time progresses and what the players do will have no reall impact.

but i got to admit that power gauntlet was sweet

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279
    am i the only one who thinks it will crash and burn?
    Originally posted by dbstylin34
    am i the only one who thinks it will crash and burn?

Seems like most of the players on this forum do... Which is probably a good indication that it will do OK, because if one thing has become apparent to me over the years, it's that this community has its head firmly planted up its own rear.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

So far I don't see why this should be a great MMO. I say MMO, not shooter. All info I found so far is that it is a mostly a shooter. Is there anything else to do in this "MMO" than to shoot things up ? Any other features like crafting, exploring, housing etc ?

Their homepage is very vague, there isn't even a sticky with some info in this forum. And on youtube I just found a russian shooter vid. Didn't invest much time to look around though.

And last but not least it is cross platform which means the PC controls will most probably be horrible.

My personal hype level for this one is at zero. ;)

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

With respect to the NDA, I wont go into too much detail, but to me Defiance felt very 'floaty'...

Vehicles also felt very stiff, PvE felt a little too 'bullet-spongey' and PvP felt the exact opposite, think BF3... but EVERYONE is using a Shotgun / RPG...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by Anthur

So far I don't see why this should be a great MMO. I say MMO, not shooter. All info I found so far is that it is a mostly a shooter. Is there anything else to do in this "MMO" than to shoot things up ? Any other features like crafting, exploring, housing etc ?

Their homepage is very vague, there isn't even a sticky with some info in this forum. And on youtube I just found a russian shooter vid. Didn't invest much time to look around though.

And last but not least it is cross platform which means the PC controls will most probably be horrible.

My personal hype level for this one is at zero. ;)

it is roughly a MMO

its kinda like planet, borderlands and one or two other rolled togther.

basicly it is a shooters based game but with a MMO style quest system and open world, with other players mixed in, it has promise, if done right but if that happens or not is stiill up in the air.

P.S. that power gauntlet was sweet

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage

Originally posted by Anthur

Any other features like crafting, exploring, housing etc ?

Weapon mods seems to be a variation of crafting, although I wouldn't really call it crafting.  They have their own version of cooperative dungeons with unique boss mechanic,  storyline and cutscenes.., you can go check out their twitch channel to get a glimpse. 

Exploring seems to be the same as any other MMO, there is an open world and you go wherever.  Supposedly there is a dynamic event system aka Rifts.

Personally I always hear people talk about all these other "important MMO aspects" aside from combat, but nobody really gives a damn about them when you actually start playing the game.  95% of almost every MMO is combat oriented or designed specifically to enhance combat.    This game actually seems to have fun combat instead of lame tab targeting nonsense.

Originally posted by Kreedz

With respect to the NDA, I wont go into too much detail, but to me Defiance felt very 'floaty'...

Vehicles also felt very stiff, PvE felt a little too 'bullet-spongey' and PvP felt the exact opposite, 

I did not get this feeling at all.  I wouldn't put too much stock into how bullet spongy shields are in a starter zone either.  If you watch their streams you'll see the damage and difficulty ramps up.  Vehicles felt good to me.  I certainly had some issues with the game, but these were not among them,

• rateriusraterius Member Posts: 1
    Totaly agree.This game is amazing im playing defiance last week in the beta and its realy fascinating and playable game.
  • KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

I've played almost every MMOFPS/TPS out there (APB, Global Agenda, Planetside, Tabula Rasa, Fall Earth, Firefall, etc).

So far Defiance feels the most complete and I've had more fun with it in alpha than I've had in any of the other games with the exception of APB's customization.

I think the best way to describe it is Rift with Borderlands combat. It's not perfect by any stretch, but it sure beats the alternatives. 

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I don't understand why everyone is saying it is like Borderlands. It isn't much of an RPG and there isn't much in terms of weapon variety(maybe I'm wrong?). APB + Tabula Rasa with a side of RIFT sounds more accurate.

news bite:

In terms of specific crossover, Beliaeff cites an example where a doctor in the TV show discovers a nanite contagion. She reaches out to one of her NPC colleagues in the game, who in turn provides players with a series of missions that they'll need to complete before the next episode of the show.

Something happens in the TV show and you "contribute" by doing the kill/delivery missions. TV show: "Thanks to our friends from _ outpost" and the story continues. So the impact players have isn't going to be real and I doubt there are any fail or alternate paths because the TV show comes first (pre-determinded).

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

I don't understand why everyone is saying it is like Borderlands. It isn't much of an RPG and there isn't much in terms of weapon variety(maybe I'm wrong?). APB + Tabula Rasa with a side of RIFT sounds more accurate.

news bite:

In terms of specific crossover, Beliaeff cites an example where a doctor in the TV show discovers a nanite contagion. She reaches out to one of her NPC colleagues in the game, who in turn provides players with a series of missions that they'll need to complete before the next episode of the show.

Something happens in the TV show and you "contribute" by doing the kill/delivery missions. TV show: "Thanks to our friends from _ outpost" and the story continues. So the impact players have isn't going to be real and I doubt there are any fail or alternate paths because the TV show comes first (pre-determinded).

I've played all those games you listed and the game is closer to Borderlands than it is to APB or Tabula Rasa. Yes, there aren't as many weapons as Borderlands, but the ones that they have resemble the weapons in Borderlands. The story and vehicles are also there. Same power/perks system, etc. 

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Krytycal

I've played almost every MMOFPS/TPS out there (APB, Global Agenda, Planetside, Tabula Rasa, Fall Earth, Firefall, etc).

So far Defiance feels the most complete and I've had more fun with it in alpha than I've had in any of the other games with the exception of APB's customization.

I think the best way to describe it is Rift with Borderlands combat. It's not perfect by any stretch, but it sure beats the alternatives. 

Was this suppose to be a joke?

Originally posted by tollbooth
    Was this suppose to be a joke?

No, he's pretty accurate in his assessment. You probably didn't play enough.  Some of the games probably do certain things better (Planetside world PvP, Firefall team PvP, APB customization, etc), but from an all around perspective Defiance does feel the most complete from head to toe.  Especially when you watch some of the streams they put out of the team PvE content and world PvP.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

news bite:

I think it migth be possible they shot two scenes and depending on what happens they will show the one or the other. Would be silly if the player failed, that they mention in the series there colleagues where usefull or thanks them. Unless offcourse they designed the game so that it is impossible to fail the quest. 

either way the concept is interesting whatever the player has an impact of not. The concept of having a new, one time, public quest every week is a great idea whatever or not there is a serie attached to it ;)

Originally posted by Coman

news bite:

I think it migth be possible they shot two scenes and depending on what happens they will show the one or the other. Would be silly if the player failed, that they mention in the series there colleagues where usefull or thanks them. Unless offcourse they designed the game so that it is impossible to fail the quest. 

either way the concept is interesting whatever the player has an impact of not. The concept of having a new, one time, public quest every week is a great idea whatever or not there is a serie attached to it ;)

we are talking about a game where a few thousand people will be playing it, at least one person will succeed, so i agree it all pre determined

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Looks like Defiance is going to be top notch. Especially after just watching the IGN hour long video. Expect to see GREAT things from this title!