Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atari Files For Chapter 11, Plans To Sell Off Logo

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Atari Inc. has announced that it has filed for Chapter 11 protection as the company attempts to move away from its parent company, France's Atari S.A. As part of the filing, Atari revealed that it is considering the option of selling off assets including the iconic logo and a variety of classic franchises.

The filing says that Atari plans to make such a move within the next 90-120 days. Its options include selling off the logo and franchises that include Pong, Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Tempest, Test Drive, and Backyard Sports.

Atari has been a pioneer in the video game industry in its 40-year history. Founded by Nolan Bushnell, the company released games such as Pong and Breakout, which were massive successes at bars and fledgling arcades. In recent years it has attempted to cash in on nostalgia, with remakes of Atari 2600 games including Haunted House and Yars Revenge. It has also made a push to break into the app market with virtual recreations of its arcade games.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/01/21/atari-files-for-chapter-11-plans-to-sell-off-logo.aspx

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    French....
  • Wow that's kind of sad :( I LOVED the Atari when I was growing up, and still enjoy a game of Pong here and there. 
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    This isn't the original Atari from the 80's.  The original Atari has been dead for years. The name has been bought and sold many times.  I'm pretty sure the current "Atari" was originally called GT interactive and bought the rights to the name "Atari" in 2001 or so.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Ahhhh not so sad anymore then!
  • CabalocCabaloc Member Posts: 116
    I remember begging my dad for a 2600 and finally getting 1 , playing joust and some tank game forget name. good times good times
  • firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    I remember playing Alien, Burger Time and the worst video game of all time (shudder) E.T :l

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    This isn't the original Atari from the 80's.  The original Atari has been dead for years. The name has been bought and sold many times.  I'm pretty sure the current "Atari" was originally called GT interactive and bought the rights to the name "Atari" in 2001 or so.

Atari is a corporate and brand name owned by several entities since its inception in 1972. As of 2012, it is owned by Atari Interactive, a subsidiary of the French publisher Atari, SA (ASA).[1][2][3] The original Atari, Inc. was founded in 1972 byNolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney. It was a pioneer in arcade games, home video game consoles, and home computers. The company's products, such as Pong and the Atari 2600, helped define the computer entertainment industry from the 1970s to the mid-1980s.

In 1984, the original Atari Inc. was split, and the arcade division was turned into Atari Games Inc.[4] Atari Games received the rights to use the logo and brand name with appended text "Games" on arcade games, as well as rights to the original 1972 - 1984 arcade hardware properties. The Atari Consumer Electronics Division properties were in turn sold to Jack Tramiel's Tramel Technology Ltd., which then renamed itself to Atari Corporation.[5][6] In 1996, Atari Corporation reverse merged with disk drive manufacturer JT Storage (JTS),[7] becoming a division within the company.

In 1998, Hasbro Interactive acquired all Atari Corporation related properties from JTS,[8] creating a new subsidiary, Atari Interactive.[9] IESA bought Hasbro Interactive in 2001 and renamed it to Infogrames Interactive.[10] IESA changed the company name entirely to Atari Interactive in 2003.[2]

The company that currently bears the name Atari Inc. was founded in 1993 under the name GT Interactive. IESA acquired a 62% controlling interest in GT Interactive in 1999, and renamed it Infogrames, Inc.[11] Following IESA's acquisition of Hasbro Interactive, Infogrames, Inc. intermittently published Atari branded titles for Infogrames Interactive. In 2003, Infogrames Inc. licensed the Atari name and logo from Atari Interactive and changed its name to Atari Inc.[12] On October 11, 2008, Infogrames completed its acquisition of Atari, Inc., making it a wholly owned subsidiary.[13]

Source - wiki

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    The Atari name has been abused so much by it's various owners that it has no value worth purchasing.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams