Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The ESO Show

SibcoeSibcoe Member UncommonPosts: 61

Hi Tamriel Fans - 

I wanted to share with you a new show I have been doing for a littl ewhile now, "The ESO Show."  It covers main topics and details regarding The Elder Scrolls Online, and will continue to cover it throughout the development of the game and into launch.  The latest episode is:

Faction pride

This one is a little shorter than some of the others, but I hope you enjoy it and the previous ones.  

Cheers 0/

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Cool, in DAOC Pre-TOA there was such a thing called Realm Pride, the community at that time were great. Loved the people of Guinevere back then. All 3 sides had a sense or pride and if anyone tried to attack the keeps with relics, everyone would suicide on the nearest mob and form up as a massive realm and defend their relics, same went when we went to get our relics back.

Heck I remember our guild and our alliance in Midgard on Guinevere were very close, everyone knew everyone on our server.  I remember getting a phone call one night around 2 a.m. on I believe it was a Wed, or Thurs night, Hibs were on our relic. I was amazed how many people were awaiting on the telepad waiting to go crush the Hibs at our relic keep. Good times, Good times.

If ESO could have even a smidgen of that pride it'd be great. I had hopes for GW2 but their WvsW turned out to be a little bit bigger battleground, with very limited people allowed in, it was a joke. Here's hoping ESO could do better with RvR imageimageimage

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Tayah
    Cool, in DAOC Pre-TOA there was such a thing called Realm Pride, the community at that time were great. Loved the people of Guinevere back then. All 3 sides had a sense or pride and if anyone tried to attack the keeps with relics, everyone would suicide on the nearest mob and form up as a massive realm and defend their relics, same went when we went to get our relics back.

There is 3 issues i see with quotes like these.

1. People have changed since then or the number of people out there that don't have any "realm pride" greatly out number the ones that do/did.

2.If daoc system was so great why did people leave and if they left because of gameplay changes why were they implemented if the game was doing so well?

3. if you got every single daoc fan on board from 'back in the day' for teso, that would only still fill a rather small percentage of desired players by today's standards.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

1. People have changed since then or the number of people out there that don't have any "realm pride" greatly out number the ones that do/did.

2.If daoc system was so great why did people leave and if they left because of gameplay changes why were they implemented if the game was doing so well?

3. if you got every single daoc fan on board from 'back in the day' for teso, that would only still fill a rather small percentage of desired players by today's standards.

1. Unfortunately, yes the mmo crowd has changed. They put up with mediocrity and put up with easy mode, casual friendly WoW clones.

2. Why people left is because expansions were PvE crap that the majority of players did not want. The game was best for it's pvp, RvR. I'm not sure why Mark Jacobs and Matt Firor felt the need to make pve expansions, you'd have to ask them, I can't speak for them.

3. DAOC had close to 250k subscribers before ToA expansion, that was a good amount of people in those days. 250k, those same folks that played Pre-ToA would be more than enough for me to have in an mmorpg these days.

I'd much rather play an mmorpg today with fewer, more quality, like minded, people that have a sense of pride for their realm/faction, than several million mindless, l33t speaking, "I'm casual I don't have much time to play, gimme for free" drones, like there are in most bigger populated mmo's these days.

I have no expectations that ESO will be anything like the old days of DAOC. I gave up hope for that after WoW came out.

Dark Age of Camelot

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Nitth

DAoC had the perfect PvP before ToA.

The expansions sucked out all the fun from PvP. They introduced an endless unfun PvE grind, many overpowered and gamebreaking new skills, everyone started running around morphed as panthers and crocodiles with ridiculous casting animations. Also almost every class they added with the expansions was ridiculously overpowered or unplayable (and they all felt weird and unnessecary, it's like they just went with every crazy idea that they came up with). Seriously the expansions had a ratio of 5 horrible ideas to 1 good one. The game transformed from the best PvP MMO in history to something like a cheap f2p indie mmo within 1-2 years (2003-2004).

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Heck I remember our guild and our alliance in Midgard on Guinevere were very close, everyone knew everyone on our server.  I remember getting a phone call one night around 2 a.m. on I believe it was a Wed, or Thurs night, Hibs were on our relic. I was amazed how many people were awaiting on the telepad waiting to go crush the Hibs at our relic keep. Good times, Good times.

If ESO could have even a smidgen of that pride it'd be great. I had hopes for GW2 but their WvsW turned out to be a little bit bigger battleground, with very limited people allowed in, it was a joke. Here's hoping ESO could do better with RvR imageimageimage

After reading this I can actually say that I am glad I never played DAOC.

If I would have played DAOC in those days, my current expectations would be so incredibly high.  Thankfully, the bar was never set so high for me.

It sounds like DAOC had both a great community and a great system.  Sounds like some big shoes to fill.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nitth
    Point 2
    Because they panicked in the face of wow and started wowing it up with pve gear grinds. But we didn't want wow, if we wanted wow we would have been playing it.

Same problem hit swg and eq2
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I dunno, I respect DAoC but it is a totally different type of game than TES.  People that like TES may not like PvP, yet Zeni are locking factions because they want to encourage 'faction pride'.  When asked why can't we explore they whole world they say "shut up and create an alt".  Personally I think this all is a ruse to pull in DAoC supporters.  ESO will disappoint the fans of the IP who care nothing about faction pride, pvp or other MMO systems copy/pasted from other titles.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Or they should have copied daoc more and had coop servers for the people that don't care for pvp and ffa servers for the likes of me. Then those who put more importance on going where they want could pick either of those.

I like the 3 factions. It helps balance a pvp game out.

Dark Age of Camelot

Three factions are great but I still don't think we should be locked into them by races - Why does it have to be a racial war?  Couldn't it have been 3 different groups lead by certain races?  We should have been able to choose which faction we want to join (like Stormcloaks v. Imperials) if we wanted to PvP.   I probably would've been more accepting to the faction locks if they hadn't locked the areas also.  Together it is too many restrictions in an Elder Scrolls game imo.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Nitth
    Point 2
    Because they panicked in the face of wow and started wowing it up with pve gear grinds. But we didn't want wow, if we wanted wow we would have been playing it.

Same problem hit swg and eq2

Thats funny.. ToA came out a year before WoW I think. So wrong. They added more PvE content to keep the PvE players from going back to EQ. WoW had nothing to do with what happened to DAoC.

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

/Agree with OP entirely.

I'm kinda hoping that TESO will disappoint most of the masses out there.  If it has about the same number and quality of the DAOC population, it would be perfect.   Trying to please everybody always results in a watered-down game that most people like a bit, for a while...but very few love.  They need to stick to their vision, and not listen to the peanut gallery.  That way they will either succeed or fail in a big way.  Either is preferable to another mediocre game that people play for 3 months and then move on.

Other hopes include-

No item malls

Few or no instances

Top level progression through realm points and crafted gear (with maybe one or two rare drops)

longevity - through PTP (never FTP model)

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by sapphen

Three factions are great but I still don't think we should be locked into them by races - Why does it have to be a racial war?  Couldn't it have been 3 different groups lead by certain races?  We should have been able to choose which faction we want to join (like Stormcloaks v. Imperials) if we wanted to PvP.   I probably would've been more accepting to the faction locks if they hadn't locked the areas also.  Together it is too many restrictions in an Elder Scrolls game imo.

Race locking the factions keeps each faction different.  One of the things that made DAOC RVR great was the assymetrical abilities.  Each faction had strengths and weaknesses.  You never faced a mirror image on the other team. 

It may not be have the same level of freedom as in single player TES, but its a necessary limitation.

DAOC also had the same system for zones.  Locking the areas provides room for people to level and PVE without getting ganked by bored high level opposing players.

Originally posted by rguilbert

Race locking the factions keeps each faction different.  One of the things that made DAOC RVR great was the assymetrical abilities.  Each faction had strengths and weaknesses.  You never faced a mirror image on the other team. 

It may not be have the same level of freedom as in single player TES, but its a necessary limitation.

DAOC also had the same system for zones.  Locking the areas provides room for people to level and PVE without getting ganked by bored high level opposing players.

It is not practical that a whole racial group of people would feel the same, much less 3 different racial groups.  There was little to no order in the original lore of this time period, that included races being united among themselves.

Second, this is not DAoC.  Yeah, races locked into 3 factions seperated by everything else may have worked for them but forcing it on TES is not a smart move.  DAoC was a great game but it does not even hold a candle to TES, they don't need DAoC's systems.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

If it had not been for ToA, I think DAoC would've been WoW before there was a WoW.  Even til this day, and I haven't played in a couple of years, I still can't stand albions and tree huggin' hibbies.  Midgard rules!

And I feel the same in WoW, Horde 4 life :)  (I like trolls, and midgard and the horde both have trolls hehe)

Originally posted by Gravarg

If it had not been for ToA, I think DAoC would've been WoW before there was a WoW.  Even til this day, and I haven't played in a couple of years, I still can't stand albions and tree huggin' hibbies.  Midgard rules!

And I feel the same in WoW, Horde 4 life :)  (I like trolls, and midgard and the horde both have trolls hehe)

TBH, I would have loved to play DAoC2.  Still doesn't change the fact that TES is nothing like DAoC and shouldn't be borrowing it's systems.  Three factions are fine but locking races to a particular faction and blocking off more than half the world is cloddish.

Elder Scrolls is known for it's freedom, DAoC is known for RvR - how does DAoC take priority in an Elder Scrolls game?

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

You have an interesting accent.

English-American?

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• rottNrottN Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Gravarg

TBH, I would have loved to play DAoC2.  Still doesn't change the fact that TES is nothing like DAoC and shouldn't be borrowing it's systems.  Three factions are fine but locking races to a particular faction and blocking off more than half the world is cloddish.

Elder Scrolls is known for it's freedom, DAoC is known for RvR - how does DAoC take priority in an Elder Scrolls game?

You have to fight for you`r freedom... everyone knows that mate :)

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Just watched '21 Reasons to be excited for ESO' and I must say, things are sounding good.  All the things mentioned have been things I've been waiting for in an MMORPG pretty much since I learned about MMORPGs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8luBc0X3vIg

For anyone who hasn't seen it^

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.