Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new MMO (or online game) with a strong presence of PvP.

Comments

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Have you tried Mortal Online? It's free now until lvl 60. I am in DFUW Beta, and some things I like, but I feel like it is DF NGE.

I've tried mortal, I found it to be a lesser version of Darkfall, but still a great game in its own right, I'll more likely wait out DF:UW though, thanks for the suggestion!

Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D
    Originally posted by Psychow
    I wsh Warhamer would go F2P or B2P. Not going to sub...

Sub is still the best still imo, you pay once flat rate and you get everything the game has to offer. No buy to win stores or stupid crap teir accounts where one person gets more than others. 

I agree, but I think if it went B2P with a cosmetics only shop it'd still have a business model and be one of the best pvp games out there, I effin loved WAR but its just so dead other than the elitist players.

Originally posted by Maephisto

With your FPS/MOBA background, I would say that Tera would be good for you.   Twitch movement and accuracy is crucial for success in Tera pvp.

Other than that, Darkfall: UW.  I know a handful of very serious PvP guilds that are going to have a presence there at launch.

I'm going to look more into Tera, and if DF:UW lives up to my expectations by launch I without a doubt will be playing that.

Originally posted by Phayz

Have you tried SMITE? I think you'd really enjoy that, if you haven't played it already. While it's not an MMO...it is, imo, one of the best pvp-rpg games around.

Or you could always try Super Monday Night Combat (F2P).

I have tried SMITE actually, I was one of the first few thousand in the beta, but I just don't really like the design all that much its like an fps MoBA, I kind of get lost when I play it for some reason, great game for others I'm sure, but not for me. Thanks so much for the suggestion though!

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by jpnole

Look no further than Path of Exile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE

Open Beta launch this Wed Jan 23 (Effective launch since it's final character wipe)

Will have full PvP as well

I played this game a bunch in beta. Although it is a great game, in my opinion it needs a lot of work to be competitive with other games' pvp. In order to PVP I had to grind PVE to level 28. That's a lot of levels. Additionally, there is no respecs. So if you messed up your build, or some other FOTM becomes the only viable pvp build, then you'd have to regrind. There is also only one path to level, so these grinds would get very repetitive.

The game has considered a server (or league as they call it) called cutthoat where you can PK and full loot at all times. This is currently not in the game though and the devs have not commented whether it would be put back in for launch.

For someone who prefers to play games where I can level via PVP, I'd recommend many other games over this game. Although it has potential, unless they open up other PVP brackets, or re-intro the cutthroat league, this game has waaaay too much PVE for a person who wants to play as much PVP as possible.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    I enjoyed the open world pvp in EQ2 and I am more of a pve player.I just had one character there as all my others were on splitpaw pve server.He was a ranger called Cupids Arrow,dumb name but I mostly did it so people could see they were slain by Cupids arrow....

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by lennpell

With your FPS/MOBA background, I would say that Tera would be good for you.   Twitch movement and accuracy is crucial for success in Tera pvp.

Other than that, Darkfall: UW.  I know a handful of very serious PvP guilds that are going to have a presence there at launch.

I'm going to look more into Tera, and if DF:UW lives up to my expectations by launch I without a doubt will be playing that.

I also played Darkfall:UW in their beta. I care so much about the non-disclosure and playing the game that I can tell you straight up the game stinks. And I do not go around promoting one game or dissing games often. It was the biggest waste of $30 ever. I know its beta, but it is riddled with bugs and again it stinks. Graphics poor, interface awful, customer service poor, and reliability of the gaming company is the worst in the industry. I would find something else.

Originally posted by dwarfus

I also played Darkfall:UW in their beta. I care so much about the non-disclosure and playing the game that I can tell you straight up the game stinks. And I do not go around promoting one game or dissing games often. It was the biggest waste of $30 ever. I know its beta, but it is riddled with bugs and again it stinks. Graphics poor, interface awful, customer service poor, and reliability of the gaming company is the worst in the industry. I would find something else.

Yeah, this is why I'm waiting instead of jumping into it.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Hmmm... even though you specifically mentioned that you played it in your OP I'm still gonna suggest it: Starcraft 2.

It's by far the most addictive game I've ever played simply because of how intensely competitive it is, and how skill-based it is. It's retardedly hard mechanically and super satisfying. I've probably played 5,000+ games and I still play 30 - 50 games every weekend and a handful everyday during the week.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Why don't you try WoW TBC on private server? 

I've been seriously thinking about it for quite some time. So many nice memories....

Originally posted by DeniZg

Why don't you try WoW TBC on private server? 

I've been seriously thinking about it for quite some time. So many nice memories....

The private server scene is not my style, but a very good suggestion though, I just like the sense of accomplishment in my character and I don't get that on private servers sadly.

Originally posted by JeremyBowyer

Hmmm... even though you specifically mentioned that you played it in your OP I'm still gonna suggest it: Starcraft 2.

It's by far the most addictive game I've ever played simply because of how intensely competitive it is, and how skill-based it is. It's retardedly hard mechanically and super satisfying. I've probably played 5,000+ games and I still play 30 - 50 games every weekend and a handful everyday during the week.

I agree it is a very fun and satisfying game, but I just get much too stressed out when I play it, I dont know why but it happens sadly.

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    I think you feel that way because of how fast paced it is, there is really no time to immerse yourself into the action. That is the problem between starcraft and warcraft
  • panchanpanchan Member Posts: 18
     YES! I love games like atlantica and I liked the pvp, even the pve was fun for me I managed to bank over 100m and get to level 60 on that game before I realized it was pay to win, and from then on the game lost its luster, as for WoW its really starting to die for me, the pvp is just a CC/heal fest, no real fighting goes on outside of duels. As for cabal I really think I might have to take another look.

I actually reached to 105 and i didn't really spend money on the item mall, but yeah that game will make you work hard for every gold you'll be getting to buy the stuffs you needded to have your character and mercs level up.

I just started WoW so i cant really tell the about the healing fest since im still newbie :O

if you ever change your mind just choose Mercury so that you can play with me. my IGN is panchan :D

• EvilchapEvilchap Member Posts: 3
    12sky2, its old but good and the aeria games version still has a very active server
  • RedFang069RedFang069 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Eve Online......

Enough Said

RedFang

• KalendosKalendos Member CommonPosts: 7
    Did you tried BLC? Im playing it, the worst thing it's tath is not a famous game, so you can see a lack of people searching games at some time of the day. 
  • jocieBjocieB Member Posts: 72

Disclaimer:  Not a hardcore gamer and don't even know what "phased like LoL" means - so you can take my suggestions with a pinch of salt. 

Defiance:  closed BETA and still under NDA but worth researching and after taking part in the stress test, last weekend's beta and openworld PvP, I had shedloads of fun!  There wasn't enough time to look into the strategy of the game but it was highly immersive and that's probably all I can get away with saying.  Nothing to lose by registering for the next beta event.

The Secret World:  PvP is a joke there at the moment and unless you research the faction-(cough)-"balance" and the dimensions with scrutiny, your PvP experience may prove unsatisfying.  But get it right (or wait for Funcom to get it right - er... lol?) and it can be awesome.  And the rest of the gameplay kicked ass for me too.  (Also had Crimecraft recommended to me - but the same guy recommended APB and that sucked, so I am wary). 

I can't tell you how tired I am of elves and shit so, again, probably not going to be giving you ideas that you'll actually like - but good luck in your search! 

Originally posted by panchan
     YES! I love games like atlantica and I liked the pvp, even the pve was fun for me I managed to bank over 100m and get to level 60 on that game before I realized it was pay to win, and from then on the game lost its luster, as for WoW its really starting to die for me, the pvp is just a CC/heal fest, no real fighting goes on outside of duels. As for cabal I really think I might have to take another look.

I actually reached to 105 and i didn't really spend money on the item mall, but yeah that game will make you work hard for every gold you'll be getting to buy the stuffs you needded to have your character and mercs level up.

I just started WoW so i cant really tell the about the healing fest since im still newbie :O

if you ever change your mind just choose Mercury so that you can play with me. my IGN is panchan :D

Sounds good friend thank you :)

Originally posted by Kalendos
    Did you tried BLC? Im playing it, the worst thing it's tath is not a famous game, so you can see a lack of people searching games at some time of the day. 

What is BLC? Never heard of it so I wouldn't know the acronym

Originally posted by jocieB

Disclaimer:  Not a hardcore gamer and don't even know what "phased like LoL" means - so you can take my suggestions with a pinch of salt. 

Defiance:  closed BETA and still under NDA but worth researching and after taking part in the stress test, last weekend's beta and openworld PvP, I had shedloads of fun!  There wasn't enough time to look into the strategy of the game but it was highly immersive and that's probably all I can get away with saying.  Nothing to lose by registering for the next beta event.

The Secret World:  PvP is a joke there at the moment and unless you research the faction-(cough)-"balance" and the dimensions with scrutiny, your PvP experience may prove unsatisfying.  But get it right (or wait for Funcom to get it right - er... lol?) and it can be awesome.  And the rest of the gameplay kicked ass for me too.  (Also had Crimecraft recommended to me - but the same guy recommended APB and that sucked, so I am wary). 

I can't tell you how tired I am of elves and shit so, again, probably not going to be giving you ideas that you'll actually like - but good luck in your search! 

Yes someone else has mentioned Defiance, and your mention again has piqued my interest, so I will take a greater look into it, and just for your reference, phased like LoL kind of means like instanced if youve played WoW, there is no streamlined game its all just its own entity every single time. I feel your opinions though mate, thanks so much for responding!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by tommy-xx

Hey!

Have a look at Age of Wushu, open-pvp with heaps of PVP orientated events.

The combat is different but fun and challenging.

Currently open beta atm, free download.

Good luck!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jocieBjocieB Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by jocieB

Yes someone else has mentioned Defiance, and your mention again has piqued my interest, so I will take a greater look into it, and just for your reference, phased like LoL kind of means like instanced if youve played WoW, there is no streamlined game its all just its own entity every single time. I feel your opinions though mate, thanks so much for responding!

AAh, thanks (never played WoW).  Hopefully see (kill) you in the next beta then.  ;)

• ninjapyninjapy Member UncommonPosts: 39

I am an Old School Gamer. From the days of pong to now. I, like yourself , have been trying to find a New MMO with PVP. A place where PVP is the MMO. There is nothing new. Heres my Best of the Best List.

DAOC- (Dark Age of Camelot) Fast track leveling to Big Boy RVR or HAve a toon for each BG. But low population. Still the Best.

Eve Online - Doesn't fit your criteria (sci-fi) but PVP is amazing. Single PVP or massive fleet battles. But major time sink.

WOW- I play on a PVP server, so world PVP. A good amount of BG's. Needs an open PVP world like DAOC Frontiers.

GW2 - Only reason i list this is because it has Siege Warfare which i love. But i found myself quickly bored and running all over the place looking for a decent battle.

WOT - (World of Tanks) Not a fantasy mmo but needs an Honorable Mention. Great fill in when the Above listed get boring.

Good Luck in your search.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow doesnt belong on a best of the best list as far as pvp is cconcerned. wow and its various clones are what is wrong with mmo pvp. Wow popularised the following shit pvp mechanics with mmo devs.
    1 ghetto off pvpers Into meaningless trivial ctf style mini games
    2 stupid separate special pvp stat.
    3 grind tokens for gear, even if you loose you progress, so once you start loosing a pointless Mini game, roll over and die you get tokens quicker that way.
    4 even when you introduce "outdoors" pvp, put it on a bloody timer so it plays exactly like the pointless minigames
    5 sell the lie that is Esports within a mmo and waste an eternity trying to do impossible 1 vs 1 balance.

WOW KILLED MMO PVP

It belongs on a worst of the worst list.