Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] TERA: New F2P Model Combating the Stereotype

124»

Comments

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Who was talking about WoW anyway!? You know that WoW is made from the warcraft 3 engine right?

Beta tester maniac

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

How much more free do you expect them to get? Even for completely free players there's barely any restrictions. It's by far one of the best F2P models I've seen yet and as I said earlier, it's borderline too good. In some areas people who've purchased the client have it better than new subscribers! There's no segregation of the community going on here. The game is F2P, not Freemium.

Some people will bitch about anything I suppose...

Congrats on such a long post given without really reading what was being replied to. There is a difference between FREE and FREEMIUM and NO FREEMIUM GAME DOES AS WELL AS THE BETTER FREE 2 PLAY GAMES.

They KNOW this, but still went FREEMIUM. That is the point of my post. THere was no COMPLAINT involved...it was a post pointing out the LIE that its a F2P game, and pointing out the bad business decision for what it is.

The point is that it isnt even close to the deal that older Freemium games have offered.

You can play any class, any race, and play to max level with no gear or zone restrictions.

Now compare that to EQ2 or Vanguard. Not even remotely close to SoE. Thats why SoE did badly, because it was a shameless money grab and everyone knew it. Instead of giving people what was there already, and working on new content or items for them to spend money on, they focused on nickle and diming everyone for content most of them had already played or tried in the past.

TERA isnt doing that. The 3 categories are very reasonable. People who have played before are not losing any character, bag or bank slots. People who never invested any money into the game will have to buy to unlock these things.  People who continue to subscribe will be able to play more by doing more dungeons per day. Seems reasonable to me....

SoE on the other hand, locks out races and classes that were originally available. Tried to log into my Disciple on Vanguard the other day and they had locked it, dispite the original F2P allowing characters created F2P to keep playing. Because I apparently didnt have access to the race that I was playing anymore. Thats the underhanded crap which causes SoE to lose players. Having to pay to unlock every single item you find... how is that fun?

Aion, GW2, TSW and TERA definitely have the right idea. Let people enjoy the game without bashing them over the head and asking for money, then put in desirable items to make the gameplay more enjoyable, such as cosmetic items or XP boosts. 

Much better than SoE version where they heavily restrict F2P and force players to unlock things just to get back to normal gameplay.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    I liked TERA back at launch but didn't feel that the game had enough to keep me as a paying player. Now that its f2p I will be going back to play it from time to time. I like what they are doing, I dislike how SOE and Turbine restrict their players thus forcing them to pay just to feel like they are valued members of the game rather than the riffraff that the cat dragged in (SWTOR is in this category too). For those games I don't even consider playing them unless I'm going to subscribe so being "freemium" means nothing to me, it's just a long trial.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Tab target games put me to sleep...sooo boring. spending the night going 1234 1234 1234 1234 is not my idea of fun. Quests are quests. Putting a nice dress on one doesn't make it a better quest.

The game is fun and I'm glad it's free to play now. I have no problems buying cosmetic items from the store for fun and to support a great game.

It has it's issues and needs work like all mmos but, it's one of the few mmos that don't make me sleep after an hr of playing.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Korean quest style will most likely not change.. It has gotten better over the years but it has never been there main focus. graphics, and combat takes more focus as they probably see it as those are the things your eyes are gonna see most..

i'm so gonna love the f2p option..
  • onroPonroP Member Posts: 2

the question is why the changed to f2p .. its easy they faild. this game has ZERO Endgame, its a joke .. Support ? dosent exist @Gamefore... the Servers are Laggy like Hell and Crash over and over again.

and trust me if u look at other gameforge games  u know that TEAR will end in a P2W game...

dont touch f2p games if you wanna have fun.. 10$ for 30 days of playing is not much.