Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not miss out on this game.

HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Do what my title says. Play THIS GAME!

I am not a typical fan of ARPG games. I did not buy diablo 3, played beta to 12  (to colorful, not scary). I beat diablo 1 and 2 and then quit both after all the fun.

Being a content locust myself I play everything there is. I don't care if its ugly, I just want to understand what functions every game has first hand. I could care less how it sounds on paper or sees in a video. I want to know how IT FEELS!!!

Path of Exiles FEELS like the best ARPG ever made. I have gone into dungeons and crossed mobs that have put me down before I could blink. I crawl into a deeper dungeon and my field of view is hindered by shadows. I am spamming AoE from the tips of my fingers hoping to weaken anything that may aproach. I must not die. I must get some shiny loot. :D

I am only level 22 on my main in this game. I have mainly focused on one of the Acts. No matter how many hours I put into this game I know that when I turn it off. I will be back. There is no point in me ever taking it off my harddrive. The only other game I never delete is Starcraft 2 (I am so hooked on a mod called Desert Strike. Terran FTW). It's so nice having a game that has no monthly fee. That can give you the small gaming session of 45 mins here and there or feed my gaming weekends. I am truly smitten by this game. The funny thing is I played this game once. Kind of ignored it. Logged in again last month and was immediatly realizing what I had on my hands.

Props to Grinding Gear Games. This game will be around for a long long time I hope. It will have a niche. A respectable one of gamers looking for something similar to when they were younger discovering there first dungeon crawler they fell in love with.

A true fan-

Edit: Jan 31

Level 50 now. Died on final act 2 boss in HC /cry! Have now reached Cruel act 3 and oh man is soloing getting hard. This game will want you to group up for sure.

Highly suggest building with a lot of elemental resist. I am a witcher and man is it rough lol. Challenge is good. SO fun.

Edit: Feb 4

Just reached Merciless Act 3. The bandits were pretty tough I actually had to group up for one of them. Act 3 is very tough. It's hard in the sense that you are going to walk forward sometimes and take 5 arrows to the dome at once and you will die from this. I am a Witcher and im very squishy when it comes to actual ES and HP (1600 in total) because I am more defensive in the resist approach. I usually spam skelletons and zombies 24/7. I use a spell totem fireball and spam firestorm and the fire curse. Its a ton of fun and I use the unique staff that adds +2 levels to fire gems which is now giving my fireball over 400 dps boost. It gets pretty crazy having that gem level mod when the gems are already so high as is (it takes millions of xp to lvl a gem now). I even got super lucky and made some lightning mod 3 link wands for my buddy who plays. Hes going to love those. Still enjoying this game a lot and getting in as much time as I can. I will probably start grouping up a lot more now because the loot is WAY better. Though i do enjoy soloing at my own pace. It's very challenging.

Hero Evermore
Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Comments

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    What he said.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Dont wrry i will, i had never heard of this game before it looks cool.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Man, you havn't even got to epic loot and map drops yet. If you love it this much already you're about the drool with excitement when you realise that endgame farming isn't done across the same environments with the same bosses you've killed over 1000 times already... randomized endgame farming locations that drop as loot.. that's the future of ARPGs right there... loot that gives you endless new content, and more loot.

Then again.. if you havn't played D3 properly then you might not fully appreciate just how good PoE is in that regard.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Vannor

Man, you havn't even got to epic loot and map drops yet. If you love it this much already you're about the drool with excitement when you realise that endgame farming isn't done across the same environments with the same bosses you've killed over 1000 times already... randomized endgame farming locations that drop as loot.. that's the future of ARPGs right there... loot that gives you endless new content, and more loot.

Then again.. if you havn't played D3 properly then you might not fully appreciate just how good PoE is in that regard.

Yeah im actually revisiting the game since its close to the last character wipe.

Really the skill system, and the stat system are nice and complex, though the stat tree appears very complex but isnt. I know they will have cash shop spec resets, but as the only option, and not in game currently, it really makes you..not want to spend points, which i dont like.  Given that everyone now goes range with magic no matter what "class" they are...kinda makes it boring, and i have to figure at some point theyll do balance changes, which will lead to a LOT of angry people who cant respec.

Sadly for a game thats a bit more complex, and has a grittier, darker, look to it...D3 has POE beat hands down in combat.

Also another issue i had way back, that has resurfaced....they dont have pants or pant slots in this game.  Your templar wan be wielding the greatest set of plate armor...and will be running around with bare, dirty, legs.  It makes no sense and it really ruins the character immersion imo.  Not an issue at the start when your a shipwrecked guy...but youll never, ever, be able to do anything about those bare legs...which is kind of pathetic.

Cant speak for the endgame maps though, they sound far more interesting than what D3 does, as well as progression in the game.  D3 really chose a horrible idea that people want to replay the game start to finish 4 times to have access to all the endgame parts...and then only run a few maps on one act due to efficiancy....they really need an endgame random map generator that isnt tied into the storyline path.

Really just wish combat in POE was as quality as it is in D3. 

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Diablo3 plays well and smooth, but it gets dull. So much potential and they aren't using it.

PoE uses all its potential, but doesn't play as well as Diablo3, but there are so many great things about it, that you forgive the problems.

Poe is rough, be prepared to feel great one level and hardly able to survive the next. Gear and how you combine it, what skill gems you put in it matter alot, and its very complicated and confusing. Add to that, the massive passible tree and everything gets kindda overwhelming. Either you will get intrigued and try again when you fail (and you will fail many times), or you curse PoE to hell .. for me its both. Best advise for a new player is to group, and ask around for advice and don't give up when it gets frustrating. The game is niche it will not be ez-mode, but it might grow on you if you stick around.

When I played PoE some months ago, I thought I was just going to play for a few days to see what it was, then found one item and had to make a new char build around that, then I theorycrafted another build I had to try (which failed), then there were 2 hour hardcore races with rewards, endgame maps and so on. Before I knew it I had spend 2 months playing and forced myself to take a break.

23th jan, open beta, everything gets reset .. go go go do not miss out :)

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I agree with this. I'm not a huge fan of arpg games, but PoE is awesome.
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    I also agree. I played POE during an open weekend months ago and for some reason, like the OP said, I didn't notice what I do now. I love ARPGs and I keep hearing everyone rave about it and how it beats D3 (big disappointment - see my signature). So I paid the $10 today to jump in since I have some time off coming up to play. As it turns out, this game has been tuned to perfection. Once you understand the bartering system and the way health pots work (both of which I love) the rest of the gameplay is pretty natural. Graphics look good all maxed out. Lots of blood on your kills. Animations of my melee character were great. I like how the power strike causes the character to actually wind up the weapon further like he is going for the kill. POE will be online only but don't despair about that. It looks like they are going for the throats of Bllizzard. Articles I've read say they raised over a million dollars through closed beta with over 150 people actually coughing up the full $1K for the top tier early access pack. Hell I'm tempted to go raise my minimum $10 to $25 or $50. It's that good.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    PoE didn't do it for me but I can see how Diablo fans would love it....
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by Vannor

I did not like the art in D3 but more importantly I am excited to get to the epic loot though i have gotten lucky at lower levels and got a few orange drops.

I am now level 41 witcher on my main and have made several new alts now as welll to tinker with specs and classes and skills.

I love this game.

It's fantastic.

I did not play D3 because it was not fun to me, PoE is a ton of fun.

Hero Evermore

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Great game. And its free.  
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´ve playing the Beta for quite some time...and i agree.

I´m not much into that game genre,but it´s certainly a very good one!

Enjoying a lot when i play & waiting to see how they do in Open beta next week & release!

Oh man they put up beta keys today and they were instantly gone!

Glad people are spreading the joy that this game is! So fun! SO so so so fun!

Hero Evermore

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Tried it back before Diablo 3 came out. I didn't like it. It felt like cheap knockoff off.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I did try it and it was not for me. I found it bland and boring and I'm pretty full up on action rpgs for now anyway. 
    Game feels like PoE to me, nothing more or less. Just awesome and fun done right.

Hero Evermore

Beat act 2 again so now im on Ruthless! Now the game is getting crazy!!! Love it!!!

2 more days until Open Beta woot woot!

Hero Evermore

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    For people who love the Diablo 2 style this game really is a recommendation.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by DMKano

To me this is a blatant Diablo ripoff, at least torchlight had its own look and style.

It might be a good game, but damn... It is Diablo.

I guess that's the point. It's a Diablo 3 for the people who wanted D3 to be like D2.

I like many of the ideas behind this game, such as the randomised dungeons you can modify with loot and the way combat skills work, but combat was a bit weak last time I tried playing and the passive skill tree was more confusing than deep. I'll definitely check it out again post-launch.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by coretex666

I participated in the closed beta quite a long time ago and I was not so impressed.

Now I am considering giving it another try and see current state of the game.

Just wanted to ask some Qs.

Since the OB launches on wednesday, will there be a wipe before it goes live? Will there be a wipe after the OB?Is there any release date?

There will be a wipe before OB. It's supposed to be the last wipe. Although GGG does reserve the right to perform another wipe during OB if they need to. I doubt that that happens though because they have a countdown for OB on the game's launcher that says "Last Wipe in...". So OB is basically release for POE.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

Diablo 3 = Diablo 2 on meth

Path of Exile = Diablo 2 on steroids

PoE is just an amazing game, made by an amazing company, im looking forward to play in OBT too.

OB will be the last wipe. 2 days.

If they wipe after thier "last wipe" they will lose there playerbase so it just wont happen barring some epic gigantor bug of epic fail happens to the game. Considering this games been in an open style closed beta for so long with so many logged hours already i do not see that happening ever.

PoE FTW! Probably going ot be the best game of 2013 when all is said and done. Themepark games cant keep you busy that long. This game has some amazing replayability!

Hero Evermore

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I am in the same boat as many, this is not usually my type of game, but I will admit for the $25 i gave them , i got my moneys worth in closed beta alone

So I totally agree for the price (free) this game is probably one the best f2p i have seen.

And if you check my history i hate f2p games with a passion.

But fun is fun, and this game is fun. 

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

IMO PoE is just average, graphically it's a throw back, the passive system is not all that complex (convuluted and unecessarily so). I don't even see why they bothered with classes would have just been better off with a character customizer to tailor your toon.

I do like the Gem System providing skills, again with the passive system the way it is I don't understand classes since there is no real background provided (just a small synapses of your characters past). I don't like the barter system for NPC's although it is rather unique.

All in all for me it just doesn't offer enough to really make it better than the other two ARPG's currently leading the market.

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

I played it back in closed beta and thought it was really clunky. Diablo 2 was a much more satisfying experience to me. It seemed like a mediocre game released in 2000 imo.

I'll probably give a second try though.

I spent about 5 hours in the game the first time I played it after i donated 10$ to get into CB, that was about 4 months ago.

Then i came back 3 months later and for some reason just got so frikn hooked on it. I guess I was looking for a more traditional MMORPG because ARPG has never really been my fortei. I must say though giving this a 2nd chance was the best thing Ive done in a long time. This is just one of those games that will be on my computer for years. It is truly a masterpiece.

Hero Evermore