Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pls delete

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
found some issues with sgssaa basically you need to have shaders on low or you get problems like white outlines on characters and shaders on low makes the game look a ton worse so overall sgssaa isn't worth it in this game :(

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

Quick Question, I was looking all over the internets but did not find any news on kepler 7xx series being released this year (guess I will find out E3 or something), but you have the 670 currently and I am trying to finish an enthusiast build so do you think 2 x 670 > 1x 690? 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by elitero

Quick Question, I was looking all over the internets but did not find any news on kepler 7xx series being released this year (guess I will find out E3 or something), but you have the 670 currently and I am trying to finish an enthusiast build so do you think 2 x 670 > 1x 690? 

in all honestly if it were me i'd pick up a good 670 clock it to run 680 speeds and live with that till the next gen cards come out.. seems little bit of a waiste to go 690 now unless you can get a good price on it.. also i have done SLI on a couple differn't series cards over the years and always found SLI to be more hassle than it's worth imho

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

hmmm ok yea I know theres only what liek a 7% difference in performance between the 670 and 680 except the cuda cores so I I already knew to stay away from the 680. welp I guess have to wait until E3 to find out when 7xx is coming.
    =(  -testVerticalFov  is your friend
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by taus01

[mod edit]

Must you be negative - if you can't post anything positive on topic - please don't post at all.

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by taus01

[mod edit]

Must you be negative - if you can't post anything positive on topic - please don't post at all.

lol yea and the FOV fix as been in the game for awhile now... not sure why they haven't added it as an option but the command works fine

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I always thought all those aa methods are exclusive (like you only use 1 of them). Sadly I can't try this sgssaa b/c I have an ati card =]
    Originally posted by QSatu
    I always thought all those aa methods are exclusive (like you only use 1 of them). Sadly I can't try this sgssaa b/c I have an ati card =]

differn't forms of AA work in differn't ways and "fix" differn't things.. Brief summary of most forms of AA

http://www.dahlsys.com/misc/antialias/index.html

then you have fxaa  http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/12/fast-approximate-anti-aliasing-fxaa.html fxaa does a pretty good job on its own but overall you still get a certain degree of shimmering and jagged edges with it but has a minimal performance cost.. for someone like me who is sensitive to shimmering  SGSSAA is night and day when compared to most other forms of AA and when you played a game that supports SGSSAA then go to one with only FXAA support its a very noticable difference.

FXAA can be ran in conjuction with other forms of AA(i know couple people who like to use it like this) but usually you are better off just using fxaa or your prefered AA method.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Thanks for the info because I actually just found a really good deal on a gtx 560 ($109.00), so I grabbed it.  I've had an AMD card until now (radeon 5770).  This post could prove useful in the near future!
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Thanks for the info because I actually just found a really good deal on a gtx 560 ($109.00), so I grabbed it.  I've had an AMD card until now (radeon 5770).  This post could prove useful in the near future!

with a 560 you may be able to still get constant decent framerate with 2x sgssaa but probably would need to take shaders to low and shadows to a lower setting as well.. really depends on the rest of your setup as well

Originally posted by Aerowyn

with a 560 you may be able to still get constant decent framerate with 2x sgssaa but probably would need to take shaders to low and shadows to a lower setting as well.. really depends on the rest of your setup as well

heh, I already play with shaders on medium, shadows on ultra (usually--shadows are weird in GW2, they seem to not add additional shadows so much as create a larger or smaller dome of light around your charfacter, which, I suppose, allows shadows to be created within that dome), and AAx8, and my current card is only about half as good as a 560.  So I'd certainly expect to be able to boost the settings higher than that, unless GW2 is really that much worse with Nvidia cards?

heh, I already play with shaders on medium, shadows on ultra (usually--shadows are weird in GW2, they seem to not add additional shadows so much as create a larger or smaller dome of light around your charfacter, which, I suppose, allows shadows to be created within that dome), and AAx8, and my current card is only about half as good as a 560.  So I'd certainly expect to be able to boost the settings higher than that, unless GW2 is really that much worse with Nvidia cards?

no clue on performance on ati vs nvidia.. it also really depends on framerate you are seeking as well.. i can easily crank almost everything to max and use 4x sgssaa but will sit at 30-40 fps in less crowded areas.. to some that may be perfectly acceptable but for me i aim for a steady 60+ fps in almost all situations.

no clue on performance on ati vs nvidia.. it also really depends on framerate you are seeking as well.. i can easily crank almost everything to max and use 4x sgssaa but will sit at 30-40 fps in less crowded areas.. to some that may be perfectly acceptable but for me i aim for a steady 60+ fps in almost all situations.

Yeah as far as framerate goes, I get 50ish fps in non-graphically intense areas, such as dungeons, if I'm not panning the camera around wildly, otherwise 30-35 fps.  20-30 fps in a really crowded place like LA.  In many games, anything under 40 fps can start to feel noticeable and irritating, but for whatever reason, I can barely even feel a difference between 35 and 50 fps in GW2.  

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Confused... I ran this game maxed with everything jacked all the way up.... found every setting everywhere I could to force the highest settings possible and game ran perfect in almost all situations.

So, whats this all about?

Originally posted by Painlezz

Confused... I ran this game maxed with everything jacked all the way up.... found every setting everywhere I could to force the highest settings possible and game ran perfect in almost all situations.

So, whats this all about?

it's about adding in sparse grid supersampling anti-aliasing mostly.. this isn't a feature you can enable ingame