Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Jay Wilson's Departure Stirs Angry Debate

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The forum thread where Blizzard's Jay Wilson announced his departure from the Diablo 3 team spawned a vitriolic discussion about the game and saw pointed attacks launched at Wilson himself. In response, Blizzard's Chief Creative Officer Rob Pardo stepped into the fray.

This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games. 

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Check out the full thread on the Diablo 3 forums.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Diablo 1-2 was ahead of its time. Diablo 3 is so behind its time that it's not even funny.

Diablo 3 is nothing more than a cash-grab via Real Money Auction House.

I play the game to be competitive. Since PvP was said to be soon after launch, my goal was to obtain the best gear before such an addition and to be ready.

I spent hours and hours of grinding, trading, and obtaining gear. However, the economy had gotten so bad due to the constant botters that someone with basic pocket-change could just buy the equivolent of my hard-earned gear via RMAH.

It was a major turn-off.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Long time Diablo 1 & 2 player who was looking forward to this game.  Never have been so disappointed in a game before.  Worst itemization I have seen.  Drops were horrid, the only way to equip your character was off the auction house.  Sorry, rather find my equipment.  Hence I gave the game to my son, who soon ditched it too.

The pvp never materialized and the patches do little to fix the game.  Heck I would have accepted a graphically updated Diablo II over this any day in the week.

So yeah, Jay Wilson basically blew it.  Anyone attempting to say nice things about the job he did, did not play the game much.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

For the longest time Blizzard said "It'll launch when it's ready."

Then with Diablo 3: "We've cut PVP to make our launch date."

There is another game with far more innovation, PVP that's interesting and exciting, and doesn't charge 60 dollars and attempt to make more with a ruined economy.  Path of Exile.

With Diablo 3 they took the fun end game of hunting items and removed it, putting their cash grab auctions in its place.  They thought opening ones wallet would be better than opening a chest in a dungeon.  Shameful, though I can't believe it'd be just one person who caused this massive departure from good design.  It was probably a group effort that caused the game to pale in comparison to not only the 10 year earlier Diablo 2, but also to fall short of today's less greedy offerings.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

There is another game with far more innovation, PVP that's interesting and exciting, and doesn't charge 60 dollars and attempt to make more with a ruined economy.  Path of Exile.

With Diablo 3 they took the fun end game of hunting items and removed it, putting their cash grab auctions in its place.  They thought opening ones wallet would be better than opening a chest in a dungeon.  Shameful, though I can't believe it'd be just one person who caused this massive departure from good design.  It was probably a group effort that caused the game to pale in comparison to not only the 10 year earlier Diablo 2, but also to fall short of today's less greedy offerings.

Path of Exile completely surprised me. The depth and complexity of that game is superb. There are literally countless character builds, optional full-loot PvP, and a more "adult" style graphical theme.

The game launches this Wed. Check it out! I'm playing it now via beta.

If anyone is interested in playing the game via voice, hop on our Path of Exile Mumble Server.

fish.mumbleboxes.com

port: 36101

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Diablo 3 is...oh screw it. Enjoy your hatred forum people. It's what you enjoy most isn't it?
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Diablo 3 is...oh screw it. Enjoy your hatred forum people. It's what you enjoy most isn't it?

Pretty much this.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Long time Diablo 1 & 2 player who was looking forward to this game.  Never have been so disappointed in a game before.  Worst itemization I have seen.  Drops were horrid, the only way to equip your character was off the auction house.  Sorry, rather find my equipment.  Hence I gave the game to my son, who soon ditched it too.

The pvp never materialized and the patches do little to fix the game.  Heck I would have accepted a graphically updated Diablo II over this any day in the week.

So yeah, Jay Wilson basically blew it.  Anyone attempting to say nice things about the job he did, did not play the game much.

You do realise the items on the AH were found by REAL players, make up your mind - you say the only good items are on the AH (all of which are found in game) yet you prefer to find the items yourself, then play the damn game and find the items, put the time and effort in.  Talk about a Contradiction.

I think it too took guts for blizzard to do what they did with the PvP, they were not happy to release something they thought was subpar, yes blizzard has dragged their feet but what you you prefer?

You dont need to use the RMHA if you dont want to, all items on the RMAH are items found by players playing the game - you can ignore the RMAH and play the game and hunt the items till the cows come home.  I say again RMAH is OPTIONAL, all items on RMAH are found by players and posted by players, nothing on the RMAH cannot be found in game by playing the game. OPTIONAL! NOT MADATORY, NOT P2P!1!1!! hate the game for it gameplay or story or cus they used colours other brown, but hating the game for the RMAH is laughable and just goes to show most don't even understand what it is. Shameful to be part of this gaming generation sometimes, take me back to the 8bit days any time.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Myria

Pretty much this.

Know what, I agree. I could spend hours of my life and pages of text pointing out the misconceptions, double standards, and outright lies the hate train spouts about D3, but I'm done.

What's important is that many people still enjoy the game, love where it's going, and will continue to play for a long time. Others have their little niche game (which isn't bad BTW) and I have mine.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by expresso

You dont need to use the RMHA if you dont want to, all items on the RMAH are items found by players playing the game - you can ignore the RMAH and play the game and hunt the items till the cows come home.  I say again RMAH is OPTIONAL, all items on RMAH are found by players and posted by players, nothing on the RMAH cannot be found in game by playing the game. OPTIONAL! NOT MADATORY, NOT P2P!1!1!! hate the game for it gameplay or story or cus they used colours other brown, but hating the game for the RMAH is laughable and just goes to show most don't even understand what it is. Shameful to be part of this gaming generation sometimes, take me back to the 8bit days any time.

I disagree

The RMAH definatley played into the design of the game, loot tables etc. etc. IMHO any game beside's gambling will be much richer when you leave real money out of it.

I would also bet that one of the biggest reason's why the PVP  has not been implemented yet, is because of the RMAH and all the dirty laundry that goes along with it like P2W.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Completely DISAGREE.

Items on the RMAH are found by players. Yes. But when you have countless people running 24-7 bots, the RMAH becomes completely packed. The prices drive down to nothing.

So let's take Player A who spends 700 hours earning the best gear. He enters into the PvP Arena and get's 1-shot by 30 hour Player B (who got a $50 bnet gift card for Christmas).

RMAH isn't needed for some story fanboy. But most players who play play to be competitive. RMAH doesn't belong in a competitive game.

Diablo 3 is simply bad and the publicity is proof.

Originally posted by mmoDAD

Completely DISAGREE.

Items on the RMAH are found by players. Yes. But when you have countless people running 24-7 bots, the RMAH becomes completely packed. The prices drive down to nothing.

So let's take Player A who spends 700 hours earning the best gear. He enters into the PvP Arena and get's 1-shot by 30 hour Player B (who got a $50 bnet gift card for Christmas).

RMAH isn't needed for some story fanboy. But most players who play play to be competitive. RMAH doesn't belong in a competitive game.

Diablo 3 is simply bad and the publicity is proof.

Matching making & RMAH is not a cash shop with an endless supply for uber armour.

I never had any intention of PvPing on D3. I guess I'm a story fanboy and thus D3 is an amazingly good game...to me.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I never had any intention of PvPing on D3. I guess I'm a story fanboy and thus D3 is an amazingly good game...to me.

Exactly how I feel. Thanks for stating it so succinctly. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93

lol @ Titan(ic)

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

My name is BizkitNL and I play Diablo 3.

*Room applauds*

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    RMAH existed for D2. It existed for Uo, and Eq, and Daoc. It even existed in one form or another for Wow and virtually every other game that has had something that someone else wants. Blizzard did a smart thing and not only monetized it for themselves, but actually took it into account. Of all the bad things that D3 did, the RMAH is not one of them.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    RMAH existed for D2. It existed for Uo, and Eq, and Daoc. It even existed in one form or another for Wow and virtually every other game that has had something that someone else wants. Blizzard did a smart thing and not only monetized it for themselves, but actually took it into account. Of all the bad things that D3 did, the RMAH is not one of them.

Yeah.  Great.

They decided to cash in on real money trading instead of banning people for doing it.

There still are people who use third party sites for RMT in Diablo 3.  Still bots that advertise it.

All Blizzard did was cash in on RMT.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Ya know, I can agree with some complaints. But people get a life, it's a game and a very good one at that! People will bitch and moan about anything, even if the product is good. To the people that go out of their way of trashing this guy ( the blizzard employee ) needs to get their priories straight and maybe rethink life, or maybe get a life! I am just so tired of people bad mouthing everything and everyone, it just shows the maturity and level of education these people have. As I stated above,., its a game, and maybe it's time the complainers find a new hobby, perhaps a job and further education in common sense!
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 354
    Fuck that loser...
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Yeah.  Great.

They decided to cash in on real money trading instead of banning people for doing it.

There still are people who use third party sites for RMT in Diablo 3.  Still bots that advertise it.

You can't defend the RMAH when some people say cash shops are fine only if cosmetic well guess what D3 is full on pay to win and IMHO it's a horrible way to have any game. No way I want to play something that is just about who has more money to throw away on virtual items.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

I have just recently started playing D3 again. This time knowing that RMAH had removed any sense of competitive gameplay. It is fun in small doses.  I filled all three tabs of my chest twice without finding a single upgrade, and only found 1 item worth putting on the gold AH. 

The AH system is terrible. PoE does so much more for drops.  I just wish PoE had the combat speed of D3.

I will be playing PoE (i donated for beta but didnt want to burn myself out before release) as soon as it releases and chances are wont play D3 anymore. 

I remember playing D1. It was scary, gear was cool, you could FIND your own upgrades at a reasonable pace. I actually kept my armor look at T2 because i thought the chainmail was way cooler looking. So i would constantly rerun those sections to upgrade as T2 without the T3 look. It was fun and I could still beat diablo since the rest of my gear was OMGWFTBBQ power.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by nilden

Yeah.  Great.

You can't defend the RMAH when some people say cash shops are fine only if cosmetic well guess what D3 is full on pay to win and IMHO it's a horrible way to have any game. No way I want to play something that is just about who has more money to throw away on virtual items.

But thats not what p2w even means! Pay to win is what happens when those who spend money have an advantage over those who do not. Trading time for money is nowhere near the same thing, no matter how many of you argue that it is. I mean look at MMOdad, his entire angry rant is because he did something he obviously did not enjoy so he could pwn noobs when a new feature launched. He is pissed off because all that time he spent to get that advantage is "easily" done by others for "less work". I have no sympathy for him in the slightest.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

First of all they must get rid of the stupid cartoon graphics that does not match with a diablo game.

Secondly they mast get rid of all the stupid dialogs and the stupid companions.

Finally send all your developers to play the diablo 1 and 2 and then start developing again from scratch.

And get rid of the ponies diablo was a game for hardcore players nad not for pussies with ponies.

After all that we may speak again about a diablo game till then path of exile feels more like diablo than the actual diablo 3

Originally posted by Zefire

First of all they must get rid of the stupid cartoon graphics that does not match with a diablo game.

Secondly they mast get rid of all the stupid dialogs and the stupid companions.

Finally send all your developers to play the diablo 1 and 2 and then start developing again from scratch.

And get rid of the ponies diablo was a game for hardcore players nad not for pussies with ponies.

After all that we may speak again about a diablo game till then path of exile feels more like diablo than the actual diablo 3

I agree with everything except your first 5 points...