Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to start LOTRO

darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Tried once, briefly in the past but never really gave it a chance.  I do remember liking the aesthetics.  I have a pretty good idea of the F2P model where I believe I have to buy extra quests + expansions. Fine.

Outside of questing.  What else can I do in LOTRO?   I know there is crafting.  Is there housing?  When am I able to get my house?  How is exploration?  Am I rewarded for going off the 'quest' path?   Are there secrets to be found and collected?

I like the LOTRO lore, but want other things to do to maintain my interest.

What do you think?

Comments

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Tried once, briefly in the past but never really gave it a chance.  I do remember liking the aesthetics.  I have a pretty good idea of the F2P model where I believe I have to buy extra quests + expansions. Fine.

Outside of questing.  What else can I do in LOTRO?   I know there is crafting.  Is there housing?  When am I able to get my house?  How is exploration?  Am I rewarded for going off the 'quest' path?   Are there secrets to be found and collected?

What do you think?

Outside of questing.  What else can I do in LOTRO? 

Dungeons, raids, solo-instanced-pve challenges (you can also do them with friends), crafting, rp. Pretty much whatever you can do in wow but pvp

There is housing.

Exploration is very nice, because the world is simply great. What also adds to exploration is there are no flying mounts, imo. Other than that, there are no rewards for going off the quest path, sadly. Pretty much like wow here too. No secrets to be found by exploring, as far as I know.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by sudo

What do you think?

Dungeons, raids, solo-instanced-pve challenges (you can also do them with friends), crafting, rp. Pretty much whatever you can do in wow but pvp

There is housing.

Exploration is very nice, because the world is simply great. What also adds to exploration is there are no flying mounts, imo. Other than that, there are no rewards for going off the quest path, sadly. Pretty much like wow here too. No secrets to be found by exploring, as far as I know.

Of course there are.

There are exploration deeds, giving you TPs and additional character abilities (traits).

REALITY CHECK

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Other than what Sudo and Thillian have mentioned.They have festivals quite often,I think 6 or 7 throughout the year,they can be quite fun if you like those kinda thing's(I love them :).

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• TakodanTakodan Member UncommonPosts: 161

It's been a while for me aswell but i remember really loving to explore the huge world. There was a kind of satisfaction finally reaching Rivendell, eventhough my level was way to low, and seeing the surroundings for myself. I've actually returned twice to LoTRO and as i recall, you can play the game and earn the currency needed to unlock things in the game store... maybe that has changed?

I have been itching to return yet again since i've got a new computer, but soon other MMO titles will arrive so who knows?

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Originally posted by sudo

What do you think?

There is housing.

Of course there are.

There are exploration deeds, giving you TPs and additional character abilities (traits).

The game could use a little more of this, but an example of good exploration content:

In the Goblin-Town area (a rather large persistent dungeon with solo, small group, and full group content) there is a pile of debris you can expect.  This starts the deed (achievement) to collect Bilbo's buttons, which takes you all over the dungeon if you complete it.  

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259
    You can also really play musical instruments.
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    And you can go fishing.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    And you can go fishing.

Sold :-)

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Brixon
    You can also really play musical instruments.

Yeah, which is one of the most unique items of LOTRO.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Skirmishes and there monster play .
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Lotro is no different than any other AAA themepark. Also, like the rest of them, it has a stripped down F2P option with a lot of hidden costs if you want to experience all the content. If you tried it before and it didn't click, don't expect different results this time around.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by jpnole
    Lotro is no different than any other AAA themepark. Also, like the rest of them, it has a stripped down F2P option with a lot of hidden costs if you want to experience all the content. If you tried it before and it didn't click, don't expect different results this time around.

Actually LOTRO F2P is not as restrictive as many other games and the fact that you could earn currency to buy items from the cash shop just by completing achievements in game makes it very good format. My problem with LOTRO was once I capped out it got boring and very repetitive.

it has a stripped down F2P option with a lot of hidden costs

Especially when you can play the entire game for FREE munus expansions which you can grind TPs for FREE.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Yizle

Actually LOTRO F2P is not as restrictive as many other games and the fact that you could earn currency to buy items from the cash shop just by completing achievements in game makes it very good format. My problem with LOTRO was once I capped out it got boring and very repetitive.

I want to get into the game too, anyone out there who can clear the fog for me? As i see it now, the things are like this:

f i don't pay, i'm restricted on... everything? Bag space, gold limit, quests, instances, PvP, classes, character slots, crafting, mail, auction house, gear, traits, riding, chat, XP, wardrobe, skirmishes... Don't get me wrong, i'm not one of those who want everything for free, i'm willing to pay. Actually that's where things seem dirty for me. If i go VIP, i still need to pay to unlock expansions. If i want the full game and VIP for one month, it would cost me 40$ for the first 3 expansions, 40$ for the new expansion (it's not that "new" anymore mind you) and 15$ for VIP, making it 95$ here. For that money, there are way WAY better deals on the market than some game from almost 6 years ago.

Of course there are the points i'd get from deeds, but i don't see myself rerolling tons of alts and grinding millions of mobs just to pay for expansions. I'm ready to pay a bit, but i was thinking somewhere in the range of 10-15$ per month when i'm active, withouth having to shove 80$ for expansions.

I find LOTRO's F2P to be a terrible system for the new player. I like the game and i want to be wrong in what i've posted. Anyone who can prove me wrong, please?

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Sorry most games charge you for xpacs. I got back into EQ2 some months back and had to buy DoV and AoD. CoE came out also now and had to pay for that xpac too if I wanted the content.
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    The purpose of a F2P game is to get new players to spend cash in the cash shop, or to subscribe to the game.   Extensive expansions cost money to make and they have to recoup it somehow.   In any event, no new player has to worry about expansions for quite some time.  The first one, Moria, starts at level 50.  By then you will know whether you want to continue playing and purchase new expansions.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by simmihi

I want to get into the game too, anyone out there who can clear the fog for me? As i see it now, the things are like this:

f i don't pay, i'm restricted on... everything? Bag space, gold limit, quests, instances, PvP, classes, character slots, crafting, mail, auction house, gear, traits, riding, chat, XP, wardrobe, skirmishes...

Not on XP as long as you like to grind exp. On most other stuff yes, you are restricted however most of what you mentioned (quest packs, gold cap, classes, auction house and some other) you buy upgrade which is account wide (you buy it once and have on all chars).

Don't get me wrong, i'm not one of those who want everything for free, i'm willing to pay. Actually that's where things seem dirty for me. If i go VIP, i still need to pay to unlock expansions.

If you pay WoW sub then you still need to buy expansions, same for EQ, same for Rift and so on. Nothing unusual here really.

If i want the full game and VIP for one month, it would cost me 40$ for the first 3 expansions, 40$ for the new expansion (it's not that "new" anymore mind you) and 15$ for VIP, making it 95$ here. For that money, there are way WAY better deals on the market than some game from almost 6 years ago.

That's what freemium is for. Just buy what yoou are going to use and that's it. Also I agree with others. content 1-50 can be pretty much free. Also if you don't rush it, create 4th character (on some other server than your main) that should give you enough TP to get Moria - with all 4 chars doing Moria count also on Mirkwood and perhaps at least some TP needed for Isengard. Of course you may want to ruch the content, do it and never come back like some other games are played but then it is true that it can get more expensive. Totally up to you how you want to play it.

Of course there are the points i'd get from deeds, but i don't see myself rerolling tons of alts and grinding millions of mobs just to pay for expansions. I'm ready to pay a bit, but i was thinking somewhere in the range of 10-15$ per month when i'm active, withouth having to shove 80$ for expansions.

Half of deeds are not related to kills. And even if they are then you do most of it while simply questing and then finish whatever remains once you are done in the whole zone. Sometimes it may take a few more days however it's not really like in some asian games.

I find LOTRO's F2P to be a terrible system for the new player. I like the game and i want to be wrong in what i've posted. Anyone who can prove me wrong, please?

f i don't pay, i'm restricted on... everything? Bag space, gold limit, quests, instances, PvP, classes, character slots, crafting, mail, auction house, gear, traits, riding, chat, XP, wardrobe, skirmishes... Don't get me wrong, i'm not one of those who want everything for free, i'm willing to pay. Actually that's where things seem dirty for me. If i go VIP, i still need to pay to unlock expansions. If i want the full game and VIP for one month, it would cost me 40$ for the first 3 expansions, 40$ for the new expansion (it's not that "new" anymore mind you) and 15$ for VIP, making it 95$ here. For that money, there are way WAY better deals on the market than some game from almost 6 years ago.

You missed the Steam Sale.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/372564/Steam-Sale-FYI.html

Why should we convince you to play?  Your mind is already made up, so go play those other games of greater value to you.

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

You missed the Steam Sale.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/372564/Steam-Sale-FYI.html

Why should we convince you to play?  Your mind is already made up, so go play those other games of greater value to you.

You are right, you should not feel obliged to convince me of anything, but really, i am not a troll. I am really interested to play the game (actually, i'm already playing it on a free account), i find it to be way better regarding complexity, content, character progression and customisation in comparison with today's ultra-shallow "MMO's", I was just asking here to see if there is anything that i've missed or if really the game would cost me as much as i've assumed it would, considering that many models now seem to be way cheaper. I'd like to thank everyone for their reply.

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540

[QUOTE]If i don't pay, i'm restricted on... everything? Bag space, gold limit, quests, instances, PvP, classes, character slots, crafting, mail, auction house, gear, traits, riding, chat, XP, wardrobe, skirmishes... Don't get me wrong, i'm not one of those who want everything for free, i'm willing to pay. Actually that's where things seem dirty for me. If i go VIP, i still need to pay to unlock expansions. If i want the full game and VIP for one month, it would cost me 40$ for the first 3 expansions, 40$ for the new expansion (it's not that "new" anymore mind you) and 15$ for VIP, making it 95$ here. For that money, there are way WAY better deals on the market than some game from almost 6 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Bag space is limited even for VIPs, you have to unlock some 5th and 6th bags (I guess...since I'm f2p)

Gold limit: yes, you have the limit as f2p

Quests: epic quests are free to every person, f2p or not. Quests from region that needs to be bought from store - yes, they are locked unless you buy that region quests and deeds from Turbine store...or rent it being VIP

Instances: haven't seen any instance, locked to f2p.

PvP: yes, unavailable to f2p

Classes: with Mines of Moria expansion - you may get all classes as f2p

Character slots: as f2p you get 2 slots per server. Given there are some 20 servers, I guess 40 characters may be enough for the begining.

Crafting:everything available to f2p. I can confirm it as Artisan Weaponsmith.

Auction house: yes, restricted for f2p. Still, 95 Turbine points is what one toon may easily achieve.

Riding: as VIP you have to do quest, as f2p you must purchase. Still, 95 TPs which is not very much.

XP: xp is free for everyone. Even legendary xp stopper is available from the store only.

I think you will do quests in Lotro. Doing them you will make deeds almost automatically. Bree-land deeds, from reputation to killing 30 poor innocent spiders are worth some 260 TPs. Let us think, you then go to the Shire where all enemies are way below your own level and you kill them without mercy with 2 hits: yet another ~200 TPs. Ered-Luin, elven and dwarven lands, very easy deeds/quests: yet some 150 Turbine points. Add deeds that will almost auto-complete (like "strike with ABC attack for NN times") and you will get some 600 Turbine points for the basic deeds only. So, if you make 4 toons and each makes only basic quests - you have enough points to buy content.

I play this way, 4 toons on Whithywindle, 3 toons on Silverlode and 2 toon on Dwarrowdelf. I don't see real problems running my lvl.23 toon to the Shire, killing 90 harvest flies and earning 15 TPs. Or killing some wolves in a den where there are many wolves and earning another 15 TPs. What I achieved -without paying anything - was: 1) Mines of Moria expansion pack; 2) Angmar quest pack; 3) Evendim quest pack; 4) shared vault' 5) gold cap removal; 6) riding skill; 7) trait space (can't remember how many).

All this was done just by levelling up my 3 main toons.

Originally posted by Lithuanian.

I think you will do quests in Lotro. Doing them you will make deeds almost automatically. Bree-land deeds, from reputation to killing 30 poor innocent spiders are worth some 260 TPs. Let us think, you then go to the Shire where all enemies are way below your own level and you kill them without mercy with 2 hits: yet another ~200 TPs. Ered-Luin, elven and dwarven lands, very easy deeds/quests: yet some 150 Turbine points. Add deeds that will almost auto-complete (like "strike with ABC attack for NN times") and you will get some 600 Turbine points for the basic deeds only. So, if you make 4 toons and each makes only basic quests - you have enough points to buy content.

I play this way, 4 toons on Whithywindle, 3 toons on Silverlode and 2 toon on Dwarrowdelf. I don't see real problems running my lvl.23 toon to the Shire, killing 90 harvest flies and earning 15 TPs. Or killing some wolves in a den where there are many wolves and earning another 15 TPs. What I achieved -without paying anything - was: 1) Mines of Moria expansion pack; 2) Angmar quest pack; 3) Evendim quest pack; 4) shared vault' 5) gold cap removal; 6) riding skill; 7) trait space (can't remember how many).

All this was done just by levelling up my 3 main toons.

Thanks for your mini-guide, it's great. I know it can be done with time and dedication. Unfortunately, for me, the idea to go to lowbie areas and just one-shot thousands of mobs in order to complete deeds seems like a chore, even on one toon. Rolling 4 toons and killing thousands of lowbie mobs to unlock content is not my idea of fun. I'm interested in playing without having to think "oh man now i need to reroll and do the same quests and kill the same mobs for the 4th time all over again", and for that i am willing to pay, just not 95 bucks. I'm gonna look for some in-between way, see if it suits my playstyle and then decide, probably.

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540

Well, then you may become a VIP for some time. VIPs do get 500 TPs a month just because they are VIPs. So, if you do not use those TPs and (inevitably) get some on your own - several months later you may unlock thing you want to. Shared vault I - no problem, just 2 months of playing. Some serious expansion, like Moria? no problem, 5 months of play and voila, expansion is yours. And you don't have to pay additionally, just sit and wait.

That's one option. Second option: let us say, you start playing Dwarf race. You start with Ered Luin, do deeds there (inevitably). Then you go to Bree land through Shire and may grow up there by doing quests/deeds. Finally, you reach Bree and do (once again inevitably) quests/deeds. Thus you grow up, do almost all deeds (except most grindy like killing Slugs or maybe 450 spiders in Barrow of Taradan), gain additional TPs and still have fun.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

and for that i am willing to pay, just not 95 bucks. I'm gonna look for some in-between way, see if it suits my playstyle and then decide, probably.

Agreed, LotRO is fully free only if you grind your life in it :) throwing in a few bucks sometimes is a much more viable way, and luckily you don't have to pay those 95$ upfront. There are guides how to get the most out of your money - the easiest for example if you won't buy Rohan yet, since by the time when you'll be over Isengard, probably there will be some sales on Rohan (just look at the previous expansions, all 3 for 20 bucks... I bought each one alone for more than that back in the day...)

Another aspect is that you will get some TP during the way (on top of the 500TP from the well-timed 1month VIP subscription), because you will do the deeds - regardless the grind factor. Not all of them, let's say half of them. :)

You see, deeds are not in game for TP grinding, they were there before f2p too. Their main function is the Virtue reward you get from them (Turbine simply snap some TPs next to the virtues when the f2p conversion happened). And virtues have a pretty decent part of your character's build. Add to that those deeds which you'll complete during leveling (quest, exploration and reputation deeds mainly), and it's not unlikely you'll reach to the end of Isengard with more than 1500TP, depending on your character count. So it's even possible that you can buy Rohan on a 50% quest pack sale, or just buy some more TPs for 10-15$ and buy Rohan from the ingame Store.

That's the whole point of f2p, options... You will see which way is the best when you get there :)

Originally posted by Po_gg

and for that i am willing to pay, just not 95 bucks. I'm gonna look for some in-between way, see if it suits my playstyle and then decide, probably.

Agreed, LotRO is fully free only if you grind your life in it :) throwing in a few bucks sometimes is a much more viable way, and luckily you don't have to pay those 95$ upfront. There are guides how to get the most out of your money - the easiest for example if you won't buy Rohan yet, since by the time when you'll be over Isengard, probably there will be some sales on Rohan (just look at the previous expansions, all 3 for 20 bucks... I bought each one alone for more than that back in the day...)

Another aspect is that you will get some TP during the way (on top of the 500TP from the well-timed 1month VIP subscription), because you will do the deeds - regardless the grind factor. Not all of them, let's say half of them. :)

You see, deeds are not in game for TP grinding, they were there before f2p too. Their main function is the Virtue reward you get from them (Turbine simply snap some TPs next to the virtues when the f2p conversion happened). And virtues have a pretty decent part of your character's build. Add to that those deeds which you'll complete during leveling (quest, exploration and reputation deeds mainly), and it's not unlikely you'll reach to the end of Isengard with more than 1500TP, depending on your character count. So it's even possible that you can buy Rohan on a 50% quest pack sale, or just buy some more TPs for 10-15$ and buy Rohan from the ingame Store.

That's the whole point of f2p, options... You will see which way is the best when you get there :)

Well, i'd buy the first 3 expansions in a pack for 20 bucks, unfortunately that was a sale, now they're back to 40 bucks, unless i'm missing anything? Actually i find F2P kinda "forcing" me to do the deeds, which is afterall a good thing, helping me improve my character. Right now my plan is to wait for some sale (if there will be one ever again) for the 3 pack, buy those, raise two characters (i don't plan to play more), get VIP for 3 months and plan to have enough TP's by that time to get Rohan.

That'd bring me to about 50 bucks, which i'm happily ready to pay for the game but not more, I feel i've spent enough on LoTRO already (I own the european version of the game, bought it at launch, also own moria, codemaster's version, spent good money on those, i did not transfer while that was active - was in the hospital at the time, transferring the LoTRO account was the least of my concerns - now those things i've bought are useless...)

The thing which i hate the most is walking, somehow i feel bad thinking of "wasting" 95 TP's for the riding skill now, knowing i'm gonna sub one day...

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

transferring the LoTRO account was the least of my concerns - now those things i've bought are useless...

The thing which i hate the most is walking, somehow i feel bad thinking of "wasting" 95 TP's for the riding skill now, knowing i'm gonna sub one day...

Yep, if you know you will subscribe, then it's indeed a waste to drop 2x95 for the two riding skill (but I have to admit, Lone lands on foot... that's not a short stroll :) )

And for the Eu purchase, I'm with you on that, all my discs are useless now as well - although I transferred so I didn't have to start over. When I had to reinstall first time after the transfer, I used the discs to install and only downloaded the updates (it was faster, but I had to visit the transfer page again after the first launch, because it wasn't the US client). But since no transfer page, those Eu boxes are just decorations on the shelf :) (they're looking good though)

(just a question, 3months vip? If you plan only 2 characters, you can easily go through the lvl30-lvl50 part with them in 1 month. After you reach under Moria, the vip status means barely nothing anymore, from 50 and above the only thing matters is whether you have the expansion or not)