Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do "some" people enjoy an MMO being shut down or doing badly?

Comments

• Raithe-NorRaithe-Nor Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Ezhae

Very few games actually hurt the industry by their incompetence, and those that do are quickly picked up and called on it by both the community and alls orts of gaming journalists/reviewers. 

Wrong on both accounts.

Darkfall received an utterly disgusting review as one of it's initial scores (I think 2 or 3 out of 10 from Eurogamer).  It's most recent score on mmorpg.com places it among the top tier of MMOs with Wow only being 0.34 higher (7.55 vs 7.21).

Darkfall was a better game at its release, mostly because it is currently dead (full-blown server shutdown).  I read the review from Eurogamer, it was completely off-base and the poor review was entirely because the reviewer simply had no clue what type of game he was really playing.  Yes, the reviewer regularly reviewed MMOs - yet still he was completely unware of what an old-style MMO was supposed to be like.

That is the problem with incompetency and unchecked money-grabbing in an industry.  The industry can lose its identity.

WoW was a fluke based on temporal circumstances and having four-five highly successful RTS/hacknslash predecessors.  It can no longer be copied.  Developers would do well to figure out what many mmorpg forum participants seem to know.

And yes, they need to figure it out for themselves.  Me or the other hundred people telling them is just to provide the motivation.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

WoW = NGE, AoC, WAR, Aion, Tera, STO, SWTOR, etc....

When non-innovative games fail, people are happy because they think that it will be the final wake-up call for future developers. The problem is that it's rarely the case.

SWTOR is probably the biggest flop of all time. Finally! The Theme Park trend is over! Woohoo! <60 days later> The Elder Scrolls Online is announced...

People don't like to see good games fail. People like to see bad games fail.

Not the case - little whiney gamers THINK they know what is good for the industry not what the industry wants or needs.

As was stated by others and myself in this thread - people who want to see games and game companies fail are very egotistical, whiney nerds who don't really understand games and the market. They think they unsderstand it all and they dont.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

It doesn't make sense. And it is a growing problem... 

So again...why do "some" people find enjoyment in a MMO being closed or doing badly?

The REAL question is WHO is really the ones enjoying it?

Funny thing is that I see repeated continually is this.

Game is released, everyone is enjoying the game. Time goes by, players find issues. Players that found issues talk about the issues, rampant foaming at the mouth players who havent defend defend defend and do everything they can to shut the others down. Players trying to speak becomes frustraited, posts more to try to get a response from the company, the defenders turn into full fledge super fanboy, continue to defend while then trolling to get the others banned or have the threads shutdown.

Players start to leave the game. More players then start having issues with the game, repeat above.

Now players are having issues with finding people to play with because so many leave, now they are the bad guys, fanboys turn on them.

Suddenly the game is doing really bad, the company has no idea why so many left and has done nothing to fix the problems...time to go F2P to try to save the game.

The company can have HORRIBLE revenue reports, fire massive amounts of people SEVERAL TIMES, merge servers, go F2P, still have bad revenue...and the fanboys will still say nothing is wrong with the game and do what they were doing right from the start...shutting people down.

So now, the original players that wanted to talk shortly after release are now saying, SEE, if we had been listened to from the start the game wouldnt have gotten to this point, are so SICK of the fanboys...yeah, they may smile when that game dies...not that the GAME died, that the fanboys dont have it anymore because THEY HELPED MAKE IT STAY THAT WAY!

But, the question is, these same fanboys tell us that we shouldnt say anything, either like the game or leave, and they do it for EVERY MMO they play...so, who really is enjoying the deaths of MMOs? It sounds more like its those telling us not to speak, and allow bad games to remain so and never improve...

+1000 ^^ pretty much sums it up,nice post.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by Raithe-Nor

Very few games actually hurt the industry by their incompetence, and those that do are quickly picked up and called on it by both the community and alls orts of gaming journalists/reviewers. 

Wrong on both accounts.

Darkfall received an utterly disgusting review as one of it's initial scores (I think 2 or 3 out of 10 from Eurogamer).  It's most recent score on mmorpg.com places it among the top tier of MMOs with Wow only being 0.34 higher (7.55 vs 7.21).

Darkfall was a better game at its release, mostly because it is currently dead (full-blown server shutdown).  I read the review from Eurogamer, it was completely off-base and the poor review was entirely because the reviewer simply had no clue what type of game he was really playing.  Yes, the reviewer regularly reviewed MMOs - yet still he was completely unware of what an old-style MMO was supposed to be like.

That is the problem with incompetency and unchecked money-grabbing in an industry.  The industry can lose it's identity.

WoW was a fluke based on temporal circumstances and having four-five highly successful RTS/hacknslash predecessors.  It can no longer be copied.  Developers would do well to figure out what many mmorpg forum participants seem to know.

And yes, they need to figure it out for themselves.  Me or the other hundred people telling them is just to provide the motivation.

WoW was and is still far from a fluke. Hate it as you wish, but it did too much right to be fluke. Now, you arent a reviewer, so you can just hate something and dismiss it for what it is not.  As for Darkfall, the reviewer was probably expecting his payment for publicity from the makers of the game that he never got, so the game got reviewed accordingly. Its how the game review business works, its why many EA games get scored 8/10 and over. If you care so much about numbers, you are the problem.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I don't usually celebrate the failure of any mmo, as I am a fan of the genre and want it to stay strong.

Exceptions to that rule are:

1. When a game is punitive of or disrespectful to some group of players;

2.  If I feel the developers misled prospective players in the marketing of the game; or

3. If I feel the developers have been greedy on the revenue side at the expense of making a quality product. 

Those are behaviors where I like to see the market react and hit back.  

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by botrytis

When non-innovative games fail, people are happy because they think that it will be the final wake-up call for future developers. The problem is that it's rarely the case.

SWTOR is probably the biggest flop of all time. Finally! The Theme Park trend is over! Woohoo! <60 days later> The Elder Scrolls Online is announced...

Not the case - little whiney gamers THINK they know what is good for the industry not what the industry wants or needs.

As was stated by others and myself in this thread - people who want to see games and game companies fail are very egotistical, whiney nerds who don't really understand games and the market. They think they unsderstand it all and they dont.

Well it's clear that the developers don't understand it. If they did, we wouldn't have these mass amount of flops.

Players are winey because they are sick of the same old stuff. They know the industry much more than you think. I mean...who would know more than the consumer?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    You should not reward anyone for doing a poor job.

And who are You to decide what's poor job and what's not? I mean, if people enjoy it, why does it hurt you that a game exists?

Who am I?

I'm a consumer with a voice and opinions.

Should I not be allowed to voice my opinions?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by neobahamut20
    WoW was and is still far from a fluke. Hate it as you wish, but it did too much right to be fluke.

I'm not sure if you understand what a fluke is. A fluke is a "stroke of good luck," and just because WoW did a lot of things right does not prevent it from being, precisely, a "stroke of good luck." Since current subscriber numbers of WoW are significantly lower than 3 or 4 years ago, I would say that attempting to duplicate an MMO that isn't successfully duplicating itself would be a bad idea.

Which was my point.

If you care so much about numbers, you are the problem.

The whole point of the numbers was to prove how wrong, misleading, and useless they can be. If you aren't going to attempt to understand a post at even a minor and fundamental level, you would do better to post without quoting.

Originally posted by botrytis

Well belittling others is a common trait of the stooge, part of the 20% of people thinking they are part of the 1% of the wealthiest in society. For information purposes, although you are a lost cause, those "little whiney gamers" ARE the industry. People dressing up in suits trying to decide what to invest in are those who know nothing and their only "want" is money.

People who want to see a game succeed are also egotistical, as everyone is. Logical fallacies everywhere, red herrings, well, the average stooge, not even worthy of being deemed a troll.

ESO sure is a themepark MMO but It tries to branch out from the copy mold with some new idea and some new features.

Besides no one in their right mind can put ESO and SWTOR in the same basket.

Originally posted by Raithe-Nor

WoW was and is still far from a fluke. Hate it as you wish, but it did too much right to be fluke.

I'm not sure if you understand what a fluke is. A fluke is a "stroke of good luck," and just because WoW did a lot of things right does not prevent it from being, precisely, a "stroke of good luck." Since current subscriber numbers of WoW are significantly lower than 3 or 4 years ago, I would say that attempting to duplicate an MMO that isn't successfully duplicating itself would be a bad idea.

Which was my point.

If you care so much about numbers, you are the problem.

The whole point of the numbers was to prove how wrong, misleading, and useless they can be. If you aren't going to attempt to understand a post at even a minor and fundamental level, you would do better to post without quoting.

Like all things, WoW is dated, its old. Of course subs are going down. Note that the downward slide also, perhaps coincidently, started at the same time their forum started to be run in nazi fashion by the moderators in order to shut up complaints about the direction the company was going. It is not luck to create something that gets a lot of people just because others aren't capable of doing the same. It is far from a fluke. It was simply a solid product that improved on many existing mechanisms that many people enjoyed.

Again, if you care about numbers enough to rely on them being a part of your argument, you are part of the problem, you are their target audience since it obviously got to you.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Who am I?

Sure, that's what we're here for.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Like all things, WoW is dated, its old. Of course subs are going down.

A useless belief considering that WoW is currently the leader in MMOs in basically every category there is. Even more useless as an argument against WoW being a fluke, as claims of lucky circumstances and claims of degradation due to time are extremely similar. You can claim it got old, I can claim its luck ran out. They are basically the same.

Again, if you care about numbers enough to rely on them being a part of your argument, you are part of the problem, you are their target audience since it obviously got to you.

Please stop replying to me. My post was a response to someone claiming that the numbers are useful and help filter the industry. I did nothing in my posts that you didn't do yourself.

[mod edit]

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Many reasons.

Sometimes its because there are scummy developers behind the game that lie and falsely advertise (Mortal Online, Age of Conan).

Other times its because devs have screwed over their player base (SWG: NGE)

and other times, it's because an MMO is a cheap clone that doesn't deserve to be successful, and its failure will discourage other companies from making cheap clones.

Need more reasons? The whole industry is connected together. I cheered when SWTOR went down because it meant that releasing singleplayer games and calling them MMOs would not work.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

When fans publicly praise or endorse a game, they draw a connection between the game and themselves.  The game's successes or failures then appear to reflect upon the fan's judgment.  

Conversely, when a game that a player does not endorse, or a game that the player publicly criticizes, fails, it appears to that player that their criticism was validated.  The elementary glee of being able to say, "I told you so!"  It puts the critic in "the right" and everyone else in "the wrong."  

As childish as it is, surely you can comprehend the simple satisfaction some people find in such moments?  

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Who am I?

If you hate a game so much that you want it to close, why do you still consider yourself a consumer of that game?

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Wrong, O.P. It isn't about laughing when someone falls down. It's about calling them out about being an idiot when you warned them repeatedly to avoid the bump in the road.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Homitu

When fans publicly praise or endorse a game, they draw a connection between the game and themselves.  The game's successes or failures then appear to reflect upon the fan's judgment.  

Conversely, when a game that a player does not endorse, or a game that the player publicly criticizes, fails, it appears to that player that their criticism was validated.  The elementary glee of being able to say, "I told you so!"  It puts the critic in "the right" and everyone else in "the wrong."  

As childish as it is, surely you can comprehend the simple satisfaction some people find in such moments?  

I believe you got it right there, can't be explained better than that, IMO.

When someones beliefs are attacked they'll defend them at all cost, reason not withstanding.

Originally posted by maplestone

Who am I?

If you hate a game so much that you want it to close, why do you still consider yourself a consumer of that game?

I am a MMO consumer In general who are interested in MMOs that should advance the genre not stagnate it.

And yes before you do a post history on me to fuel your argument I spare you the time

Yes I think GW2 broke the clone mold and tries to do something new in the genre, is it the best game ever?, no, but the direction GW2 is better than WoW clone road so many have taken during the years with SWTOR as the cherry on top.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Sadly, failures are more likely to bring about change in the genre than successes will.  The problem as I see it is that some people want the entire genre to change.  In their world view, there is no room for other play styles or types of games, every new game should conform to their criteria.  It's one of the things that is driving me batty right now with every tom, dick and harry developer jumping on the action combat bandwagon, despite the obvious appeal of tactical, slower based combat being quite popular with a lot of gamers.  They see games fail that had the traditional combat and they immediately turn around and see the vocal minority decrying the lack of action combat as the culprit, when it most likely had nothing at all to do with its failure.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    The problem as I see it is that some people want the entire genre to change.  In their world view, there is no room for other play styles or types of games, every new game should conform to their criteria.

That pendulum swings both ways.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

wanting a game to fail because you don't like it is selfish and immature.

also, if you actually believe that companies will keep sinking money into mmo's when they all keep failing, then you really don't have a grip on reality.

the problem is, game companies cant really come up with anything new, its all pretty much been done to death.

even the "sandbox" games that people here seem to want (me included) has been done before.

this is why people are so negative and cynical about every single game that come out now.

this will not change any time soon IMO.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742
    Being glad something failed because you did not like it is immature, but then many players and posters are in their teens. This should be expected when you think of the age demographic.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
  • tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Personally im very happy with every developer trying to make an rpg mmo or not and in case its good we shall play it.

Im also very happy though when i see whole companies when they try to scam the market (us) , not to get a frieking penny, when instead of being creative and offer a fresh product made out of hard work, instead they r being lazy and try to win millions on the back of unsuspected customers ,by making games that are quite mediocre . Im vey happy tosee them loose their money invested so they learn the next time instead of wasting lots on money in advertising,put their resources on the creative department and actually work hard instead of what they do nowdays.

We as players/customers need more guys like the 2 turkish guys that made mount&blade, those newzealand fellas that are making POE,indie devs that are actually played rpg's andknow what ppl want, and less guys than the ones that made aoc,lotr,ddo and any other mediocre game u can see outthere.