Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Heavy Server = 10 people?

My friend was playing SWTOR last week on a supposed heavy server.

Problem is it said heavy yet he saw just a few people. He went to a city and saw like 2-3 people.

I keep telling him to just pull the plug on this game and play a real mmorpg but he keeps asking me why the server says full yet he barely sees anyone.

So I didnt really have a answer for him the only thing I could think of was.

-The cap on these servers must be really low, is 50 people a full server?

-Ea is simply manipulating the servers just pressing the heavy option to make the server look full or heavy.

- I play wow on a medium server and I see tons of people in the cities and in the world. I can walk into Stormwind and see 80-150 people just around the auction house.

-The shards are seperating people but that still dosent explain how a heavy server has 2 people on tatooine.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

Comments

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

Open the map and look at lower right corner and you can choose another instance if it's there.I'd say he got thrown into a new instance that just spawned.

I played yesterday and there were 3 instances of Dromuund Kaas and 2 of them were between 150-170 players.When I logged into that zone later on another char. there were 70 in the 3rd instance.

In the last 3 weeks the Jedi Con. server has been packed,you just need to look at changing instances.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

SWTOR automatically places joining players to busiest instance of the planet that has room available. That means, if there are 210 players on a planet which has capacity for 200 players, you'll end up with one instance of planet that has nearly 200 players and another instance that has 10 players.

Your friend can switch instance by opening world map (M-key), then using the drop-down menu on lower right of the map.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Vrika

SWTOR automatically places joining players to busiest instance of the planet. That means, if there are 210 players on a planet which has capacity for 200 players, you'll end up with one instance of planet that has nearly 200 players and another instance that has 10 players.

Your friend can switch instance by opening world map (M-key), then using the drop-down menu on lower right of the map.

It doesn't always place you on the busiest,I've been placed in a zone that was 50-60 and the other instance's had more.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    More to do with the engine is pathetic at dealing with large numbers of players so splits off several instances. I got it just after launch, played on a heavy server, never saw more than 20 people at a time.

You can spot how crappy the engine is just with the slow down on the pvp minigames and contrast that with the huge battles in games like ps2 and gw2.

Basicly its a cooprpg pretending to be a mmo.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    Originally posted by Vrika

SWTOR automatically places joining players to busiest instance of the planet. That means, if there are 210 players on a planet which has capacity for 200 players, you'll end up with one instance of planet that has nearly 200 players and another instance that has 10 players.

It doesn't always place you on the busiest,I've been placed in a zone that was 50-60 and the other instance's had more.

Correction to my earlier post: It places on the busiest that still has room for more players. I think it doesn't fill them to max capacity, but it fills very close to max capacity.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

Problem is it said heavy yet he saw just a few people. He went to a city and saw like 2-3 people.

I keep telling him to just pull the plug on this game and play a real mmorpg but he keeps asking me why the server says full yet he barely sees anyone.

-Ea is simply manipulating the servers just pressing the heavy option to make the server look full or heavy.

- I play wow on a medium server and I see tons of people in the cities and in the world. I can walk into Stormwind and see 80-150 people just around the auction house.

-The shards are seperating people but that still dosent explain how a heavy server has 2 people on tatooine.

Only one possible answer for this:  your friend BROKE SWTOR!  Some people just don't know how to take care of things anymore.  Tell him thanks for breaking a $600 million game :/

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

What a crock.  I guarentee your friend wasn't on Ord Mandell, Korriban,Hutta,Tyhon, Dromund Kaas, Corruscant or the Fleet. There is 17 planets in the game and each one has multiple shards. Not to mention Warzones, Ops and flashpoints that everyone is participating in which don't happen on any planets.Tattoine? No one goes to Tattoine after level 30 unless it's to do the HK quest or a companion quest. 

And 80-150 people in Stormwind? I would certainly hope so since it is a capital city . Go into Coruscant or Dromund Kaas and you'll see a lot of people there too.  Or go to the fleet where all the level 50s are waiting to PUG or play the GTN and there will be about 150 -200.

Maybe if you had actually played TOR you could explain this to your friend. If he even exists. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Players are slowly migrating to higher planets as well. The best way to see how many players are on planet is just to see the number in upper left corner of your monitor. if you want to know how many instances of the zone are atm you click M and the bottom right corner small map will tell you if there are more then one instances.

There is no way that there could be only 2-3 people on any planet... never ever in my experience even when we had hundreds of servers, and the population on them was low I saw that small number.

And as for crowds at auction house (aka GTN) yeah there are at least 200 people per faction there per instance and as of late I don't remember having just one instance.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Players are slowly migrating to higher planets as well. The best way to see how many players are on planet is just to see the number in upper left corner of your monitor. if you want to know how many instances of the zone are atm you click M and the bottom right corner small map will tell you if there are more then one instances.There is no way that there could be only 2-3 people on any planet... never ever in my experience even when we had hundreds of servers, and the population on them was low I saw that small number.And as for crowds at auction house (aka GTN) yeah there are at least 200 people per faction there per instance and as of late I don't remember having just one instance.

before the merges and F2P, my server was dead and there were quite a few times we had numbers that small on some of the planets.

5-10 people was the norm most of the time though. but now? yeah, that dude is lying through his teeth or he is playing at like 6 in the morning on a higher level planet.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I keep telling him to just pull the plug on this game and play a real mmorpg

stop it, you make a fool out of yourself.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    This is why instancing = amateur hour.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

numbers doesnt matter anymore, since its a FREE game

but all servers should be bursting,,a free mmo with lightsabers? that should attract A LOT of new players

making them  spend some money is the hard part

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    i hate swtor thread disguised as a question.
  • ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by ktanner3

What a crock.  I guarentee your friend wasn't on Ord Mandell, Korriban,Hutta,Tyhon, Dromund Kaas, Corruscant or the Fleet. There is 17 planets in the game and each one has multiple shards. Not to mention Warzones, Ops and flashpoints that everyone is participating in which don't happen on any planets.Tattoine? No one goes to Tattoine after level 30 unless it's to do the HK quest or a companion quest. 

And 80-150 people in Stormwind? I would certainly hope so since it is a capital city . Go into Coruscant or Dromund Kaas and you'll see a lot of people there too.  Or go to the fleet where all the level 50s are waiting to PUG or play the GTN and there will be about 150 -200.

Maybe if you had actually played TOR you could explain this to your friend. If he even exists. 

I have to QFE this. I play on The Harbinger and there is always 2-3 instances packed no matter what planet I am on. Especially fleet, on both the Imp and Pub side.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by ericlatrelle
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I have to QFE this. I play on The Harbinger and there is always 2-3 instances packed no matter what planet I am on. Especially fleet, on both the Imp and Pub side.

Have to agree, although i've only been on the Euro server and the progenitor in particular, there are a lot of people around, most servers do show heavy, but i've yet to be on any particular planet that didnt have at least 2 instances going, lowest numbers i've seen in an instance so far is about 70, grouping is a lot easier now, and despite the controversy surrounding the F2P model, which, i was highly sceptical of initially - tbh, so much so i thought it would actually destroy the game. But it seems to be effective, for now at least, in a few more months, who knows. But for now at least, the population seems to be healthy and there are a lot of people around.image

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Muppetier
    i hate swtor thread disguised as a question.

/thread

I was facinated by how many people took the bait.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I agree total crock.
    Chamber of Chains
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    I started playing again with a friend about 3 weeks ago, there is always around 200 people in the Empire fleet. I only do PvP, and rarely, but the servers are populated. 

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• TigasnakeTigasnake Member Posts: 33
    Just came back to the game.  Started leveling Marauder.  Dromund Kaas had 3 instances last night.  First time I saw that since launch.  :)  The servers seem pretty healthy to me.  As much negativity as this game received, it's still a great game for leveling.  People will still play that aspect (for free).  The 10-49 PvP is a blast.
  • IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

I have to agree with OP.

Im playing on Red Eclipse and when it says "heavy" or "very heavy" there really doesnt seem to be that many people around, typically 120 (in all instances) on Corellia where im at right now and there is a substancial wait for flashpoints groups.

• TigasnakeTigasnake Member Posts: 33
    120 People in Corellia is pretty damn good, dude.  With all the planets and the leveling curve of your server, it's hard to tell if it's heavy or not.  Not everyone on your server is 50 or very close to 50.  Most likely 50% of your server is leveling on lowbie planents like Coruscant or Dromund Kaas.  When a game goes F2P, the casual levelers come roaring back in.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Might be on an oceanic server. They are pretty much dead.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Watch closely folks, im going to do something CRAZY here...say good AND bad. I know I know...nuts huh?

1. Caps are not low and will be explained below.

2. Yes, EA is manipulating the servers just not in the way you think. The entire idea of their going to mega servers is to make it "look" like its doing better by taking players from MANY servers and placing them on a FEW....thus making it look like the game is being played by a lot of people.

3. You cannot compare SWTOR to WoW. WoW was made in a way to give players actual REASONS to go to cities, hang out, talk...SWTOR does not, that is why so many people do not want to call it an MMO but instead a Single player game with online capabilities, it isnt a true MMORPG and goes out of its way to make sure players dont just hang out and interact.

4. Just because there are 2 people on Tatooine, doesnt mean there arent 100 on a starter world and 250 on one of the upper level planets...300 in the fleet. BTW the most I ever saw on Tat was mid 20s and that was a month after release long before the mass exodus took place.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Funny, when I enter Stormwind or Orgrimmar there's like 10 people max running around.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

This discussion has been closed.