Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Rift: Introducing the 'Joy of Dimensions' Contest

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Dimensions are Trion Worlds' way of giving Rift players their own little piece of Telara and with the amazing ability to decorate that space nearly limitlessly. To give players a chance to show off their architectural skills, the team is introducing the "Joy of Dimensions" contest to our readers first! Read the details, then get designing!

Dimensions have proven to be a feature that can ignite the creativity of the Ascended and is enticing to new and returning players alike.  But, simply building it isn’t enough!  We need a program to shine a spotlight on the feature in a fun and creative way that gets players involved and puts their passion in front of their friends and fellow players.  We need to show them – The Joy of Dimensions. 

Read more about Rift: Introducing the "Joy of Dimensions"Contest.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Ooh this is awesome. Dimensions are the whole I reason I bought this game!
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I can't wait to see what people come up with.  If it looks enticing enough, I will get the game.

• SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119

Oh man this picture made me lol  XD

Ahhh good ol' Bob Ross :)

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by saltyd

Oh man this picture made me lol  XD

Ahhh good ol' Bob Ross :)

Yep,many a Saturday morning watching him :)

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    I love me some Bob Ross. He makes everything better.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

The other day when I told someone I was not on Twitter or Facebook but could still take part in an event they were running by email. They thought I might be a troll winding them up.

It seems these days that MMO marketing departments only want competitions that involve social media and if you are not part of that forget it.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    happy clouds. good little happy clouds :)
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    <3 Bob Ross!!!
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Cool this might make me give Rift another go, housing is something a lot of mmo's lack in!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    It would be cool if SoE ran a similar contest for EQ2 and then have the top 5 of each compete against each other.
  • Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

OMG, that picture immediately made me smile!  Best thing I've seen on these boards in years.  I have no idea what dimensions is all about, but the picture grabbed my attention immediately.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Time to get building I guess :D

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

Good Luck to all who compete against me. My dimension may not be the prettiest but I hope I get points for it being the "funnest".

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    I jumped into my first dimension today.  It was a kind of house on a lake.  Very elaborately decorated.  The coolest part was this path that led up and up and up into the sky to this platform waaaaay above the world.  In the floor there is a hole, and I jumped down into the hole and went down this long slide and landed in a pool.  It was great!
    This dimension thing sounds quite advanced. I presume there are no monsters to fight, but you create you own house environment or what?
  • StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168
    Seems like I may have to go grind some plat to work on my shabby-ish dimension!
  • FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Scot
    This dimension thing sounds quite advanced. I presume there are no monsters to fight, but you create you own house environment or what?

Indeed you fight no monsters in your dimension, you just build :) And you get total freedom in how to build. Locations are based on in-game spots and not the whole world is available, but cool parts of it are. :)

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Rift will now have happy little trees.  :)

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    IMO, Rift is setting a new standard in housing for mmos. They provide the environments, and you do the rest. Pure win!
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,488
    While people gush on about Rift's dimensions, I still don't "get" them. Until/unless they provide some functionality, I'll pass on them.  But even if I understood the interest, I'd skip the contest -- it shouldn't require Facebook.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

The other day when I told someone I was not on Twitter or Facebook but could still take part in an event they were running by email. They thought I might be a troll winding them up.

It seems these days that MMO marketing departments only want competitions that involve social media and if you are not part of that forget it.

I have a friend who won't use facebook.

I asked him how many forums is he registered to? 

I am on a few forums, I just regard social media as obsessive, vain, pointless commentary and mindless drivel. With people talking about their navels, setting up appreciation pages for murderers and following trends like reeds in a wind. Not saying you can’t find anything worthwhile on it, you just have to try too hard for my liking. Anyway back to the dimensions, or I won’t stop ranting. :)

It does sound a great idea, and takes the housing concept to a whole new level. I take it you can visit each others dimensions, but not have a communal dimension as it were?

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Do you need Stormlegion of use these dimensions, or can vanilla rift owners use them to?

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by fanglo

Good Luck to all who compete against me. My dimension may not be the prettiest but I hope I get points for it being the "funnest".

Good luck then. Dimensions really add a nice touch to Rift. The contest is a good odea, imho.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I have a friend who won't use facebook. 

I asked him how many forums is he registered to?  

When you register to a forum, you typically give them your contact email, a password, your timezone, and your nickname - all of which can be fictional if you so desire.

When you use Facebook you give them your real name, address, contact phone number, email address, names of your friends, your family, your colleages, where you work, where you used to work, where you went to school, where you hang out, all the places you visit, all the tv shows, music and films you like to watch, all the games you play, all the events you attend, all your photos and videos, and in the case of Facebook games - your credit card details. Facebook CEO also said "if you are not paying for anything on facebook, then YOU are the commodity" meaning ALL the above very personal data can and will be sold on to advertisers and other companies.

Now, if you still can not see the difference between being a member of a forum, and having a facebook account, then sir, you need to spend a bit more time investigating.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright