Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This isn't your normal MMO

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by mikahr
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by Jean_Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by jpnole
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO. It's actually very similar to Rift.

GW2 similar to Rift? Have you even played the game?

More misinformation spread on mmorpg.com, what a surprise...

You're correct!  I'd rather play Rift, at least I didn't get bored playing it.

Rift? lol

Only noce thing about Rift were open beta weekends so you can find out how bland the game is. Only thing Rift has is instance progression for those who like that, but it seems not many at all do.

I guess i am not the only to see the irony in your post here. If Rift only has instance progression  what do you think GW2 has with its dungeons? yeah right..instanced progression. W v W has no progression what so ever. So for those who like progression which i am assuming that majority of MMO players do..they will be grinding instanced dungeons in GW2 for a long time to come.

I know you were tryign to make GW2 look good here but you did the opposite actually.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

GW2 = patchwork of bit of WoW, Rift, GW Prophecy, and something else I can't even recall.

Good game if you have no time and money to play anything original or deep.

Can be hard to play w/o group finder and healer/off-healer, but normally it's not that hard to get how to do.

Can be annoying if you like progressive PvP, don't like WvW and hate jumps. =D

most you need to do is jump and WvW, rest is not that important, or you gonna do exploration only once on main char and will be bored to death to never do it on alts.
    exception: guys who enjoy deep grind and repetitive content.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Something about this game bores me to death i tried for the third time now to atually enjoy the game but somehow around lvl 20-30 it always gets me and i just cant go on.

I cant even rly explain what it is maybe its cause the zones are so empty and noone ever does any dungeons apart from 1 high lvl dungeon so all you can do is solo grind DEs and Hearts. Or maybe its cause you get the feeling your Character doesnt progress anymore after you get your weapon skills, the perks and points you get dont really help .

I tryed the pvp for abit but im not rly interested in the zerg WvsW and the spvp feels strangely disconnected from the rest of the game.

Maybe im just late for the party dunno.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by tet666

Something about this game bores me to death i tried for the third time now to atually enjoy the game but somehow around lvl 20-30 it always gets me and i just cant go on.

I cant even rly explain what it is maybe its cause the zones are so empty and noone ever does any dungeons apart from 1 high lvl dungeon so all you can do is solo grind DEs and Hearts. Or maybe its cause you get the feeling your Character doesnt progress anymore after you get your weapon skills, the perks and points you get dont really help .

I tryed the pvp for abit but im not rly interested in the zerg WvsW and the spvp feels strangely disconnected from the rest of the game.

The mid-level 20-70 zones being barren is known and being worked on.

I'd suggest you look at it later in the year when ANet puts these 'big solutions' in.

More than half of GW2's official 'what is in 2013' blog was dedicated to how they will populate those 20-70 zones again.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Well, I've never seen this argument before. Somebody discovers GW2 and both political parties swarm to recruit him. And political buzz words like zergfest and wow-clone make anti-GW2 chatter weaker. Just because GW2 is different doesn't mean its better. It has room for improvement, no doubt.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      The Title of this thread is exactly right , as GW2 barely resembles an MMO ,partiularly from lvls 20-70 , then at 80 it morphs into BoreWars 2, of the 7 friends that i went into this game with, none remain playing ,and all have been gone for about 2 months, its a shame becuase we all had hope for this game, but in the time we have been gone not once has anyone even broguht this game up in conversation (as far as returning or what if they ....) Thats how ingsignificant this game is to us ..
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Scorchien
      The Title of this thread is exactly right , as GW2 barely resembles an MMO ,partiularly from lvls 20-70 , then at 80 it morphs into BoreWars 2, of the 7 friends that i went into this game with, none remain playing ,and all have been gone for about 2 months, its a shame becuase we all had hope for this game, but in the time we have been gone not once has anyone even broguht this game up in conversation (as far as returning or what if they ....) Thats how ingsignificant this game is to us ..

I can see it is not insignificant to you if you come here to post against it. It must really stick in your craw.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I guess i am not the only to see the irony in your post here. If Rift only has instance progression  what do you think GW2 has with its dungeons? yeah right..instanced progression. W v W has no progression what so ever. So for those who like progression which i am assuming that majority of MMO players do..they will be grinding instanced dungeons in GW2 for a long time to come.

I know you were tryign to make GW2 look good here but you did the opposite actually.

Youre kinda funny.

So GW2 has all Rift has and then some. And things Rift can only dream about. Joke is on you.

I know you wanted to make GW2 look bad here but you did quite the opposite.

Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

GW2 = patchwork of bit of WoW, Rift, GW Prophecy, and something else I can't even recall.

Good game if you have no time and money to play anything original or deep.

Can be hard to play w/o group finder and healer/off-healer, but normally it's not that hard to get how to do.

Can be annoying if you like progressive PvP, don't like WvW and hate jumps. =D

most you need to do is jump and WvW, rest is not that important, or you gonna do exploration only once on main char and will be bored to death to never do it on alts.
    exception: guys who enjoy deep grind and repetitive content.

Uh yea, if you dont have tens of millions to make your own "dream game" you might as well stick with next best thing.

"no time and money to play anything original or deep" lol, thats rich, can you enlighten us all about this, oh so elusive game which is so "original and deep" compared to GW2?

And yes, i just adore companies that charge sub to not make game better. Or different. Or whatever. When they finally do - here 40-50$ on top of sub.

"progressive PvP"? You mean abomination of gear based PvP lol. yah, i see where youre coming from.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Demogorgon
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Noxxumari
    I think part of the problem is people tend to power through games and play it like other mmos, its a casual game not a hardcore game with raids etc, at least yet, from what Colin was saying in that live feed that they have a lot planned for the game in the near future and hopefully that means more to do or those that want to play it like a solo game until its "time to raid".

i still do find it funny people who played this game for 500+ hours claim they just play casually... me and number of my friends play and with work and family we surely play casually and have around 350 hours since launch

[mod edit]

Posting on  forums takes several hours we all know that you can't possible post on a forum and play games at the same time.image

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by tet666

I feel your pain too, I have 2 level 80s, 1 warrior and 1 Ranger, finished the main quest line on the warrior and waiting to finish the last dragon battle on the Ranger. I have 1 level 53 and 2 level 48 and 1 level 11 and now it is just boring to think about doing those lower levels. I lack the motivation to do it, there is no sense of accomplishment once you have done the whole parade twice already.

When I play WoW/RIFT and LOTRO always was something you could achieve that would take grinding but you knew you could achieve, specially if you were in a good guild, here in GW2 I dont see that, whatever new armor is out there is like is going to take me months to be able to grind the mats I need.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    I think part of the problem is people tend to power through games and play it like other mmos, its a casual game not a hardcore game with raids etc, at least yet, from what Colin was saying in that live feed that they have a lot planned for the game in the near future and hopefully that means more to do or those that want to play it like a solo game until its "time to raid".

i still do find it funny people who played this game for 500+ hours claim they just play casually... me and number of my friends play and with work and family we surely play casually and have around 350 hours since launch

[mod edit]

Posting on  forums takes several hours we all know that you can't possible post on a forum and play games at the same time.image

lol not to mention like ive said a hundred times I was in a job that litteraly allowed me to post for hours on end.. now could I be playing then? no of course not.. honestly people need to get over themselves

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I found GW2 to be different in execution.  I really had to change the way I thought an MMO should play to remotely enjoy it.  Most MMOs are based on a form of linear progression.  You do what is presented and progress until you reach the 'end'  That in and of itself is a hook to some (I'd say most people).  Anybody addicted to that hook I cannot fathom will greatly enjoy GW2 because that means of growth is not present.   But typically in these games there is no real exploration.  You are not rewarded for leaving the beaten path.  The majority of the content is 'mapped' through the quests.

What I see GW2 doing is simply placing these 'events' across the world to be found as opposed to be directed.  This sounds small but is a signifigant difference in terms of gameplay. In the former model the real draw is achievement through structured/rigid rules. Its what you DO in the quests that your focused on (i.e. - how many X of Y do I have to kill).   Where as the latter is focused on the world and exploration (i.e. - where can I go).  A sidebar to that is (obvious) combat which is where I see the hearts come in (Im still only level 11).  Though they are there they are not the focus but the actual seeing what is in the world - and growing from that.

Since what you do isnt the focus, it removes the need of what you have (thus all is equal).

While I agree the game is not perfect, its also not a bad game. It is an interesting separation from the structure which is out there today.  Like EQ, WoW and others before it I am curious to see what 1-2 years of growth will offer for this title (housing please! :)  They have the opportunity to really create something unique and fun.

It wont be THE ONE MMO but then again I dont believe any of them are (or will be), but it will sit (back) in my rotation fairly towards the top.

What do I have to lose?  Definitely not a sub... 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

[mod edit]

Curious if you actually think that a personal attack is a valuable contribution to the forums

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I found GW2 to be different in execution.  I really had to change the way I thought an MMO should play to remotely enjoy it.  Most MMOs are based on a form of linear progression.  You do what is presented and progress until you reach the 'end'  That in and of itself is a hook to some (I'd say most people).  Anybody addicted to that hook I cannot fathom will greatly enjoy GW2 because that means of growth is not present.   But typically in these games there is no real exploration.  You are not rewarded for leaving the beaten path.  The majority of the content is 'mapped' through the quests.

What I see GW2 doing is simply placing these 'events' across the world to be found as opposed to be directed.  This sounds small but is a signifigant difference in terms of gameplay. In the former model the real draw is achievement through structured/rigid rules. Its what you DO in the quests that your focused on (i.e. - how many X of Y do I have to kill).   Where as the latter is focused on the world and exploration (i.e. - where can I go).  A sidebar to that is (obvious) combat which is where I see the hearts come in (Im still only level 11).  Though they are there they are not the focus but the actual seeing what is in the world - and growing from that.

Since what you do isnt the focus, it removes the need of what you have (thus all is equal).

While I agree the game is not perfect, its also not a bad game. It is an interesting separation from the structure which is out there today.  Like EQ, WoW and others before it I am curious to see what 1-2 years of growth will offer for this title (housing please! :)  They have the opportunity to really create something unique and fun.

It wont be THE ONE MMO but then again I dont believe any of them are (or will be), but it will sit (back) in my rotation fairly towards the top.

What do I have to lose?  Definitely not a sub... 

Well sead.

I'm enjoying just running around doing what I see not what I'm forced to do aka quest hub A--------B----------C I can go explore, find a cave system, kil a boss in there and get a chest and or a rich mining node.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Dawnstar
    Rift bored the heck out of me.

The only people that can find Rift better want:

a) trinity

b) uber lewt

and thats OK, go play Rift then, but in all areas GW2 is superior game.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

I would also rather play Rift. At least in Rift the classes seem different and more fun to play because of it. In GW2, I have created 3 characters that interest me the most, then I have one character slot in that I use to try all of the other classes. I have now tried them all and they all feel really blah. It may just be me, but they all feel the same. The weapon swapping for new specials was cool in the beginning, but now it makes all of the classes too similar in mechanics.

I don't hate GW2, but something has to change to keep me interested in it.

I played 3 classes more seriously so far (and yes i play them more than lvl2 "to try them out") and those play COMPLETELY different with COMPLETELY different mechanics.

Guardian-Necro-Thief

And ability to swap weapons does not "make them all similar in mechanics". Its like saying that souls make every class the same in Rift.

I honestly think they all feel too similar. I am not hating on the game, I just genuinely feel that way.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

a) trinity

b) uber lewt

I would also rather play Rift. At least in Rift the classes seem different and more fun to play because of it. In GW2, I have created 3 characters that interest me the most, then I have one character slot in that I use to try all of the other classes. I have now tried them all and they all feel really blah. It may just be me, but they all feel the same. The weapon swapping for new specials was cool in the beginning, but now it makes all of the classes too similar in mechanics.

I played 3 classes more seriously so far (and yes i play them more than lvl2 "to try them out") and those play COMPLETELY different with COMPLETELY different mechanics.

Guardian-Necro-Thief

And ability to swap weapons does not "make them all similar in mechanics". Its like saying that souls make every class the same in Rift.

I honestly think they all feel too similar. I am not hating on the game, I just genuinely feel that way.

I honestly don't know how you could feel like that unless you never gave much effort into any more than 1 class, or played 2 similar classes.  The only two classes that seem similar are the two heavy armor classes.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled

a) trinity

b) uber lewt

Guardian-Necro-Thief

I honestly don't know how you could feel like that unless you never gave much effort into any more than 1 class, or played 2 similar classes.  The only two classes that seem similar are the two heavy armor classes.

i could see early on maybe for instance i played my early engineer similar to how played my ranger and thief just sat at range and picked things off.. but once you get all your utility slots and some traits going the play styles really open up a lot...  in all honesty i could say all Rift classes feel the same because I run around pressing buttons which fire skills off which kill enemies... i could say that with pretty much any MMO/game:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

i could see early on maybe for instance i played my early engineer similar to how played my ranger and thief just sat at range and picked things off.. but once you get all your utility slots and some traits going the play styles really open up a lot...  in all honesty i could say all Rift classes feel the same because I run around pressing buttons which fire skills off which kill enemies... i could say that with pretty much any MMO/game:)

Thats the point, once you start meddling with skills/traits/weapon choices it gets juices flowing, of course that at low level they feel similar, no skills/traits, 1 weapon to shoot/punch stuff with.

But i guess its a good thing in a cetrtain way, it weeds out laziest players ;P

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I personally found two things "challenging" with regards to the game, mainly the combat. First, the first hour or two it felt... odd. It was different enough that there wasn't that old-glove comfortable feeling right away. After that first couple hours, though, that began to flow. The second part was going further in the combat and breaking from the old "spam it off cooldown" mentality. Taking the time to look at secondary and tertiary skill effects and how they not only synergize with each other but also with other players... it takes time to learn it all, if you ever do. But going that route has really had a significant effect on how I play now. Rather than the archaic rotation combat method I'm far more situational in the use of skills, often setting things up to give a more greatly enhanced effect. It takes time, but it comes. You simply need to blend "proactive" into your "reactive".

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've found that I'm not a big fan of action combat. I'm just not very good at it these days.

I like it when a MMO makes me feel really powerful - like I'm a total bad ass ya know?

I never - not once - really got that feeling playing GW2.

All of the base weapon skills were useful sure and sometimes fun but I never found a complete 1-5 set I truly enjoyed all 5 abilities - I kept wishing I could mix and match skills like I could in GW1.

And the utilities and even elites always felt kind of "meh" to me - so I'd end up just using as many passives I could get.

I missed abilities that really had that "punch!" ya know?

Only thing that really came close (for me) was a Warrior using a complete gimmick-based Rifle build all about maxing out my Adrenaline and having all kinds of +Crit+Damage+Crit Damage and getting some massive Power Shots or whatever the special was called.

But it was a one trick pony...

I don't know, I'm still waiting for a Fantasy MMO that allows me to feel like a bad ass and be an offensive power house in PvE and PvP using a Sword + Shield combo.

Why is Shield ALWAYS a defensive only tool in Fantasy MMOs? wtf

Originally posted by BadSpock

I don't know, I'm still waiting for a Fantasy MMO that allows me to feel like a bad ass and be an offensive power house in PvE and PvP using a Sword + Shield combo.

In that MMO you speak of expect a nerf or kill grey critters for that feeling of yours.

sounds like my guardian she is a beast in pve and PvP....also found your last sentence odd since in gw2 3 classes use shields each one has two abilities and one of those two in each class is an offensive ability http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shield

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Personally I didn't find anything in this game challenging, but eh, everyones entitled to their opinion. If one of the big challenging events starts its part of a chain and ends up being a zerg and if not enough people show up they just don't do it. Dungeons were all easy, while they were fresh and full of new ideas they were easy and once you ran them for the points to get gear, no reason to run them ever again because gold isn't the important in GW2 and the dungeons don't drop any anyways.

Also it doesn't promote helping each other really, it just promotes doing stuff with other people nearby while never talking since you don't need to group. I think it's a step backwards personally, i'd rather talk to people and form a group to do things instead of silently watch as more people show up and just do stuff around me. 

Have you ever tried WxWxW?, GW2 its about that , and for sure not for all audiences,

In WxWxW you will get nice friends and enjoy a lot this game, endless hours.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

sounds like my guardian she is a beast in pve and PvP....also found your last sentence odd since in gw2 3 classes use shields each one has two abilities and one of those two in each class is an offensive ability http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shield

i let here a build to play in group (dual guardian+warrior) as a guardian it makes he and warrior almost invencibles http://en.gw2codex.com/build/21407-wvw-lt-commander-duo-mobile-fortress

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Skill isn't required for ANYTHING in this game except for high level tPvP. This is why most of us got bored so quickly.

well  the majority of those who got bored is cause its easy to get exotics and the only which remains (for them) is the legendary which requires legendary effort and its only visual ...

the game is for casuals, not for hardcores ... sorry for hardcores, i was one also one, i just got a life : )