Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$200

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

I'd rather work for all the costumes and heroes I get. Makes the game sweeter for me.

No way, I think the 200 is too expensive. I went for the 60 avengers pack.

Remember, it's supposed to be fun and a free to play game.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Originally posted by theniffrig

TBH I think it would defeat one of the main aspects of the game, to basically Unlock costumes/characters by buying them all at the beginning in one go. The permanent +5% XP & +5% item find chance might be a bigger draw for someone willing to pay the $200 for this pack. 

Personally I just spent $19.99 on a basic Hero Starter, which nets me a nice forum name, a bit of store cash, 2 days early access to the game before launch & ofcourse Captain America!

I agree with you on this.... we will be able to unlock characters and costumes as we play. I think the biggest draw for me would be the Black spidey costume and the +5% XP & +5% item find.  I wouldn't want to play half those characters anyways.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Axxar
    I hope not many have, but there's always suckers out there. I especially love how the $200 kit says "estimated value: over $750" when most games offer more content for $60. It should be changed to "estimated value: less than $60."

Yeah, that "estimated value" got me to. That is what made me feel it was like a ripoff. Who's estimate? Their estimate of naming the value of what they are pricing. If they're going to be that dishonest from the get go, it doesn't make me feel like it's something I want to be a part of. Even though I wanted to be a part of it before I read that. It's like used car salesman tacticts.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Originally posted by Paradigm68
    I hope not many have, but there's always suckers out there. I especially love how the $200 kit says "estimated value: over $750" when most games offer more content for $60. It should be changed to "estimated value: less than $60."

Yeah, that "estimated value" got me to. That is what made me feel it was like a ripoff. Who's estimate? Their estimate of naming the value of what they are pricing. If they're going to be that dishonest from the get go, it doesn't make me feel like it's something I want to be a part of. Even though I wanted to be a part of it before I read that. It's like used car salesman tacticts.

My estimate is at least $650 according to my formula.

• Characters - $240
    • Skins - $330
    • Permanent Boosts - $30
    • $50 In-Game Currency - $50
    • Title, Early Access, Beta Access, and $50 Limited Time Bonus Currency - $0
    I'm sure some of these values are off, but overall it's really close.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Tokken

I'd rather work for all the costumes and heroes I get. Makes the game sweeter for me.

No way, I think the 200 is too expensive. I went for the 60 avengers pack.

Remember, it's supposed to be fun and a free to play game.

Hey nice avatar! I guess that's what I get for making such a cool one. Cheers!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    They make the ultimate Package ridiculously expensive so that some n00b will think that the starter package is a reasonable deal.
    Originally posted by birdycephon

• Characters - $240
    • Skins - $330
    • Permanent Boosts - $30

Ok but those values, who set them? They make up their own values then make a comparison to those values. That is the point. I can pick up a stick. Say "I'm selling this stick for 10 dollars." Then I pick up 10 sticks and say "I'm selling these sticks for 50 dollars, it's a 100 dollar value!" Wnen I say '100 dollar value' its BS because I decide all the values. It has no actual objective value. That is what makes it a shady claim.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

• Characters - $240
    • Skins - $330
    • Permanent Boosts - $30

Ok but those values, who set them? They make up their own values then make a comparison to those values. That is the point. I can pick up a stick. Say "I'm selling this stick for 10 dollars." Then I pick up 10 sticks and say "I'm selling these sticks for 50 dollars, it's a 100 dollar value!" Wnen I say '100 dollar value' its BS because I decide all the values. It has no actual objective value. That is what makes it a shady claim.

The value I set is based on my experience with cash shops and what I can see would be a fair price for an unlock.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Psychow
    They make the ultimate Package ridiculously expensive so that some n00b will think that the starter package is a reasonable deal.

It's that and for the whales that throw around $200 like it's nothing.  They don't care if it's worth it or not - they are out to spend money.  I'm happy they started doing this too, makes it cheaper on us average players.

• Characters - $240
    • Skins - $330
    • Permanent Boosts - $30

The value I set is based on my experience with cash shops and what I can see would be a fair price for an unlock.

That is fine for you and an entirely subjective judgement that doesn't apply to anyone. When the seller makes a statement that is meant to be taken as an objective statement of value, but it's not, that underhanded. Just like the example I provided. If I make an item, decide the value of that item, any statements I make that are based on that value is BS becaus I made up the first value out of thin air.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    It would feel like a waste of money to me personally but i don't care what some stranger spends on a game to be honest, i just know a cash grab when i see one.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Funny thing is even something as cosmetic as clothes can have a estimated value inflated to ridiculous prices in the real world. Why on earth would you do it in a game is beyond my pay grade it seems. Heroes included or not, it shows you just how "high" they are willing to inflate the prices in their cash shop. Sad really...

Why sad? Comic book fans love this stuff.

Plus, it is not like people won't pay for digital stuff. $25 for a mount is the same kind of thing. And there is no such thing as ridiculous prices. More power to them if they can get people willing to pay.

In fact, it is the basic tenet of a free market. Charge what your customers are willing to pay. If you can make your customer willing to pay high prices, more power to you.

• TheCliffordTheClifford Member UncommonPosts: 18

So it's business as usual for SWTOR, LOTRO, Everquest, Tera (soon!), Aion, etc., to have in-game cash shops for unlocks and customizations, but its unnaceptable for Marvel Heroes to offer their entire starting cash shop of customizations with a discount for pre-order?

Just wanted to make sure I understood the argument...

Originally posted by TheClifford

So it's business as usual for SWTOR, LOTRO, Everquest, Tera (soon!), Aion, etc., to have in-game cash shops for unlocks and customizations, but its unnaceptable for Marvel Heroes to offer their entire starting cash shop of customizations with a discount for pre-order?

In fact, i would add LOL .. the MH model is very similar to LOL, which you pay for character access.

And LOL is the most popular online game ... with more active players than WOW.

• TheCliffordTheClifford Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

In fact, i would add LOL .. the MH model is very similar to LOL, which you pay for character access.

Yeah, you're right.  The model seems to be right there with LoL.  Heroes and skins, with a few inconsequential boosts.

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310

I'll relate this thing to a situation IRL. I go out with army buddies often to watch sporting events... it's their usual thing to spend 3.50-5.00$ per beer and drink 4-8 of them in a given night,,, I order Iced Tea and maybe one beer because I can't meantally fathom using my hard earned money on a quadroupled price item. Yet on League of Legends I just used 40.00$ on skins and have used over 200$. I actually feel like I got something for my skins that I still have to this day as opposed to something that I will urine out in a couple hours.

Moral of the story... to each their own, apparently some people here doesn't value games where others might value the additional limited skins or perks of paying that money.

40$ on beer or 40$ on Skins... I choose skin and buy a case for the house?

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Let's not forget, this package comes with the most valuable boost in the game, 5% magic item find.

I keep seeing people talk about he skins.  It's not just that the skins are overpriced, which they are unless you are extremely submissive or you have massive loads of money to burn.  It's about them giving away the most valuable in-game stats to people who are either rich or submissive enough to spend $200.

This game just became PAY TO WIN!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

This appears to be a new spin on the lifetime sub ploy, made relevant for an F2P model.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Yeah, you're right.  The model seems to be right there with LoL.  Heroes and skins, with a few inconsequential boosts.

Inconsequential?  5% Magic Item Find, in most games, is pretty damn far from inconsequential.  Maybe you meant to use the word "overpowered" instead?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252

I'm laughing at the people defending this. Have you even played the game? How can you even have any idea if it's worth it or not (ignore the "estmiated" value). There is a difference between worth and value. If something is WORTH $200 then I feel good. If the value is $200 that means nothing.

Also that guy who made a comment about them jacking the price up on to make the others look better, you're dead correct. Bravo. Didn't even think of that. God I love psychology, and it worked on people in this thread! $200 is too much, $20 is too little so let's go with $60! Man this is amazing. I think I may write an article for my publication regarding the psychology behind purchasing digital content.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    The funniest part is that ppl who buy these packs wont even get a stupid beta key ..and you see them doing key giveaways on FB etc.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Xarko
    The funniest part is that ppl who buy these packs wont even get a stupid beta key ..and you see them doing key giveaways on FB etc.

The second funniest thing is:

Q: Why do people want a beta key?

A: To try the game for free!!

But...but...it's F2P....

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

But...but...it's F2P....

How does it matter if the "MMO" is going to be f2p or p2p for someone who wants to try the game in beta stage ?  Anyway what I meant is, any other company who tries to grab ppls money before the game even launch usually include beta access in the price :)

Edit: and ppl usually want key not only to try the game for free but to try it sooner :) (than others)

But...but...it's F2P....

A: To try the game for free and SOON.

Now we are good.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Just not a fan of greedy corporations taking advantage of naive gamers. 200 bucks is way too much when for example the Diablo 3 CE is only 100 bucks and quite literally dwarfs the Marvel Ultimate pack in terms of content.

You know David Breivik is behind Marvel Heroes right? The man who wrote down Diablo on a napkin at a restaurant. Co-founder of Blizzard North. He had nothing to do with Diablo 3.

So Marvel Heroes 200 vs Diablo 3 100 is a steal