Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMORPG should I play

Lolman1212Lolman1212 Member Posts: 7

Hello guys, I am currently returning to the 'MMORPG scene' and was wondering what is good on the F2P market atm.

Things I like:

1. A decent Playerbase

2. Uniqueness (combat, content etc)

3. Classes and Races (lots or integrated)

4. Lots of Minigames/Instances (things to do)

5. Bosses!

6. An Open World (doesn't have to be open world but a decent game world would be cool)

7. Can be fairly new so there are new players that I can get along with better, and so everyone is not ahead of me already. (doesnt have to be new, but as long as there is a decent new-player playerbase, it is okay)

8. Mainly Fantasy Swords & Shields MMORPG's though Sci-Fi is all right I spose (heard of Eve, but its rather large)

So far I have looked into RaiderZ and I am quite keen for that, but I notice another game similar to it called "Tera" is going free to play in February, so I was wondering if I should just wait for that. (should I go for RaiderZ or wait for Tera, cause apparently there isnt much to do in RaiderZ... or play RaiderZ until Tera comes out... hmm xD). RaiderZ though, does not have a lot of classes but it has that class integration thing, which I think is neat. Though, if there are other MMORPGs like these  I'd like to hear some! I have heard of C9 and Vindictus, but the restricted to certain areas (not open world) sort of puts me off. And Vindicitus isnt availible were i am from. There are other MMORPG's I've seen which are like "Aion" and "Age of Conan" - but they have rather large downloads and are quite old, though they still look amazing (especially combat on AoC).

If anyone else has some recommendations I would love to hear them, though please don't say WoW or Guild Wars 2 as I will probably get GW2 later on in the future.

Thank you very much for reading, and I hope to see some nice suggestions.

TLDR; What is a good F2P MMORPG that is different atm.

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Whatever is reccomended is going to have a large download.  I have downloaded Tera to mess about with until FFXIV is back. That took around 24hrs to dowload though @ 500kb on average.

You could consider DDO, LotRo, RoM, and Vanguard. all of which have their weaknesses and strengths.  At the end of the day though if you intend to play to end game content then you will end up having to fork out over money to be competetive or to access other content.

• Lolman1212Lolman1212 Member Posts: 7
    Oh well I suppose I don't really mind large downloads. RaiderZ is apparently only 4gb large though? Btw, 500kb rele? xD Also when is Tera going f2p anyway?
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I would check out Tera now it's f2p.

I quit a while ago, before the server merges, so not sure about the population, but it's probably good enough post-mergers and now with f2p. It is quite unique, the combat is pretty thrilling (especially as a warrior, slayer or lancer). Classes are not that dynamic (too many dps classes) but they're good enough, especially given the real-time combat.

There are a lot of dungeons and they can be pretty challenging until you get the hang for the boss mechanics and how to play your class. However the absolute best thing about Tera is the bosses (known as BAMs - Big Ass Monsters). There are lots of these throughout the world and fighting them is nothing short of epic. BAMs are totally Tera's strength and I have never been so stressed/exhilarated as when fighing BAMs (particularly solo for fun!).

The game world is pretty cool too, and very very pretty in most places. Just ignore the newbie island which sadly is one of the ugliest places in the game and does not really show you how beautiful the world is. My advice is to just push through it and get into the world proper.

Originally posted by Vonatar

I would check out Tera now it's f2p.

I quit a while ago, before the server merges, so not sure about the population, but it's probably good enough post-mergers and now with f2p. It is quite unique, the combat is pretty thrilling (especially as a warrior, slayer or lancer). Classes are not that dynamic (too many dps classes) but they're good enough, especially given the real-time combat.

There are a lot of dungeons and they can be pretty challenging until you get the hang for the boss mechanics and how to play your class. However the absolute best thing about Tera is the bosses (known as BAMs - Big Ass Monsters). There are lots of these throughout the world and fighting them is nothing short of epic. BAMs are totally Tera's strength and I have never been so stressed/exhilarated as when fighing BAMs (particularly solo for fun!).

The game world is pretty cool too, and very very pretty in most places. Just ignore the newbie island which sadly is one of the ugliest places in the game and does not really show you how beautiful the world is. My advice is to just push through it and get into the world proper.

I would Love to play Tera, but I don't think it is f2p atm... unless I'm wrong?

But I do know for a fact that there is an unlimited free trial, but I don;t want to download the trial then have to re-download the game when it goes F2P. Hey... do you know if players on the trial will have to redownload the game when it goes f2p or will they just get a patch on their trial clients?

• VoreDockVoreDock Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Aion or Tera
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

TERA is better than RaiderZ. You could download its trial and play that until it goes F2P. The trial's level cap is rather high and you'll be able to play on the same character afterwards. It's a 25+ gig download, though.

DC Universe Online was also fun when I tried it, but I'm not sure how it's doing nowadays.

Originally posted by Lolman1212

Hey... do you know if players on the trial will have to redownload the game when it goes f2p or will they just get a patch on their trial clients?

The trial client is the same client subscribers use.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

If you already have AoC you can forget the rest. Get a premium membership and enjoy the best M (mature) rated fantasy MMO, most others are rated T for teen.

Your choice if you prefer boobs and blood in your MMO or funny little critter races with teddy bear eyes and Yoda ears.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by FromHell

If you already have AoC you can forget the rest. Get a premium membership and enjoy the best M (mature) rated fantasy MMO, most others are rated T for teen.

Your choice if you prefer boobs and blood in your MMO or funny little critter races with teddy bear eyes and Yoda ears.

I do not have AoC actually, as apparently the playerbase is very low. And it is very limited on f2p players. Also the download is 30gigs or so.

Though I am wondering now if I get the Tera Trial will I need to redownload it when it comes f2p??

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

I do not have AoC actually, as apparently the playerbase is very low. And it is very limited on f2p players. Also the download is 30gigs or so.

Though I am wondering now if I get the Tera Trial will I need to redownload it when it comes f2p??

No, you don't have to redownload when it goes F2P. I'd really say go with TERA, I'll be there waiting :P

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

AoC lifted many of its F2P limitations recently. Now its F2P system seems alright, at least for low levels. I never got that far in it.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Just played AoC yesterday evening and it was packed with players, no clue where they all come from but it seems well populated.

Saw some sub players arguing over throwing out the F2P players because they spammed chat with noob questions ;)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ZeldiorZeldior Member UncommonPosts: 8

Okay guys I have decided to go with Tera.

Reasons being is that it is everything I wanted to be honest. And also if I download the Trial I will not have to download the f2p game client again once it has released, instead it will update. Just like you guys said! Thank you so much guys! ;)