Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to cool a overclocked phenom ii x4 965?

KaraminalKaraminal Member Posts: 58
Hey guys, Im hoping to overclock my cpu and ive heard that it gets really hot with this cpu. If i were to overclock it with the stock cooler and my case has 2 120mm fans and 2 80mm fans. Would be this be enough to cool it down abit?

Comments

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

buy an aftermarket heatsink and make sure the case fans are all pointed the right way for proper airflow.

The Xigmatex gaia, or the Hyper 212 would work very well. pay attention to ram clearance issues.

Follow decent overclocking guides.

• KaraminalKaraminal Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by grndzro

buy an aftermarket heatsink and make sure the case fans are all pointed the right way for proper airflow.

The Xigmatex gaia, or the Hyper 212 would work very well. pay attention to ram clearance issues.

Follow decent overclocking guides.

So the 4 fans wouldnt do it alone?

Also what motherboard in the range of 30-50 quid AM3 socket will be good at overclocking?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Where did this come from?  You were looking at a Socket FM2 system, then Socket AM3+, and now you want to know about overclocking a Phenom II X4 965?

In order to overclock a processor, you'll want at least a mid-range motherboard and a decent aftermarket cooler.  But if you're trying to save money on a CPU by buying a 3 1/2 year old processor, the amount extra that you'd have to spend on a motherboard and cooler to overclock it would greatly exceed the additional cost of just buying a faster processor in the first place, such as an FX-6300.  And the latter option of simply getting a faster processor would be faster at stock speeds than an overclocked Phenom II X4, in addition to being less likely that you'd fry hardware by overclocking.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

this is a gaming site, not an overclocking site, i suggest before you even attempt to overclock anything google up a overclocking dedicated site for that type of hardware and read some of their guides for it. and then after atleast 2 weeks of careful study attempt an OC... other wise you will most likely either brick the system or fry it.

and yes there are actual websites dedicated to overclocking all system hardware. 

Originally posted by Quizzical

Where did this come from?  You were looking at a Socket FM2 system, then Socket AM3+, and now you want to know about overclocking a Phenom II X4 965?

In order to overclock a processor, you'll want at least a mid-range motherboard and a decent aftermarket cooler.  But if you're trying to save money on a CPU by buying a 3 1/2 year old processor, the amount extra that you'd have to spend on a motherboard and cooler to overclock it would greatly exceed the additional cost of just buying a faster processor in the first place, such as an FX-6300.  And the latter option of simply getting a faster processor would be faster at stock speeds than an overclocked Phenom II X4, in addition to being less likely that you'd fry hardware by overclocking.

:S why are you always right... I just dont want to spend 102 pounds on my cpu tis all :S and ive seen this cpu is even better than the AMD fx 6100...

Im only 15 and i dont work so... im trying to cut corners that wont affect performance THAT much
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Karaminal
    Im only 15 and i dont work so... im trying to cut corners that wont affect performance THAT much

Sometimes you just have to jump in feet first and figure it out.

Try overclocking what you have now (I don't recall what it was), and get your feet wet. Even if it doesn't overclock much, you'll at least have some idea of how it's done and you'll have a better idea of where to go from there.

Don't put any money into it at all until you see what it can do with what you got (or see what you break).