Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The "True" heir to the Diablo legacy

2»

Comments

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 San Francisco, CAPosts: 227Member
    Path of Exile is the only game that compells me to play the same way I was compelled to play Diablo II LOD back in the day. I enjoy TL2 and Titan Quest as well, and I even like certain aspects of D3, but for me they just don't have the same addictive quality that D2 and PoE have. There is a reason people are calling PoE "Diablo 2.5." It's an amazing game.
  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon

Borderlands is a lot like a ARPG.. so I get why someone might bring it up.

Could Borderlands be called a FPARPG? I'd say so. The whole loot gratification thing is there. Different means to the same end. It's all about loot piles. The whole point of the game is exactly the same thing.

• redcappredcapp brook, NYPosts: 722Member
    None really, but POE 'feels' Diablo-esque.  The atmosphere is the important bit.
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    Originally posted by Vannor

Could Borderlands be called a FPARPG? I'd say so. The whole loot gratification thing is there. Different means to the same end. It's all about loot piles. The whole point of the game is exactly the same thing.

Considering how random the items were, at least in BL1, I think they comparasin is spot-on.  Randomization + ARPG = Diablo influence.  Marvel Heroes might also come out quite a bit more similar to Diablo than D3 did, considering who they have working on it.  I wouldn't pay what they're asking for that game though.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• In terms of gameplay, Torchlight 2. In terms of atmoshpere, Path of Exile. Overall, Diablo 3.
  • ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAPosts: 1,341Member Uncommon

POE hands down is the best ARPG to date imo....  Its not even close ...

Altho i have 1 eye on Grim Dawn , which is shaping up nicely these past 2 years

• BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Originally posted by Vannor

I was just about to post this. The Loot system and the Skill trees are very Diablo influenced. The only thing that really keeps it from being included in the ARPG genre is the FPS mechanics. Other than that all of the other game mechanics are spot on ARPG.

As for the poll I chose Torchlight II but I've not yet tried POE. After I try it I might change my mind. As others have stated Titan's Quest is also a very good representation of this genre as well. I'd also like to mention the Sacred series as they too are excelent ARPG's as well.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Grotar89
    Sacred 1 - open world with great classes and amazing character models. Too bad Sacred 2 was such a bad game.

divine divinity is my favorite arpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Divinity

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

So many people claiming that Diablo clones are "true" heir to Diablo legacy.

Can a copy be a "true" heir to anything anyway?

I do not say you are not entitled to an opinion that any of these games is better than Diablo 3. If you think so, then go for it. But saying that any of them is a "true" heir to Diablo is nonsense, in my opinion.

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• MyriaMyria Lowell, MAPosts: 570Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Goll25
    yeah obviously it's the game that not many have played at all yet. 

MMORPG.com, where the only good game is the one that hasn't been released yet.

The really sad part is that in three months, when PoE is (much like T2 now) a near fogotten memory, they'll still be whining about D3 and "true" heirs.

• StonesDKStonesDK SomewherePosts: 1,805Member

There will never be a true heir to the Diablo franchise or at least not any of the games already mentioned. That would require an ARPG to be universally accepted to be the best in the field, have a similar itemization as D2 and the ability to play on servers with server side stored characters.

So far no game has come close

• GdougGdoug Washington, DC, DCPosts: 13Member
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Diablo 3 -- The official heir put forward by Blizzard.

Torchlight 2 -- Including some of the original Diablo developers.

Path of Exile -- Gritty and dark.

Diablo 3: No. The loot system is a total abomination. The required AH use is saddening.

Path of Exile: No. The skill tree is absurdly complex. Diablo always had a great "jump in and play" feel. The complexity came from depth, not massive complication right off the bat. Also, gemming your weapons for abilities is WEIRD.

Torchlight 2: No. Neat game, but way too cramped all the time and the abilities never feel very exciting, impressive, or viscerally fun to use.

So basically, we are still waiting for the spiritual successor to D2.

Gdoug, currently playing Threshold RPG (role playing required MUD)
    http://www.thresholdrpg.com

• BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Originally posted by coretex666

So many people claiming that Diablo clones are "true" heir to Diablo legacy.

Can a copy be a "true" heir to anything anyway?

I do not say you are not entitled to an opinion that any of these games is better than Diablo 3. If you think so, then go for it. But saying that any of them is a "true" heir to Diablo is nonsense, in my opinion.

That really depends on who makes the "copy". Diablo III is a contender only because the same company made it that made the original 2 games. The Torchlight series are acceptable contenders only for the fact that there were far more Diablo 1/2 devs working on those games than worked on Diablo III. Not sure if POE can be counted as it is just a "Copy" so to speak.

But then again you need to define what is just a "Copy" and what is a truly new ARPG as well. If a game brings enough innovation to the genre then it could be considered a true contender and not just a "Copy". Both the Titan's Quest and Sacred series of games would fall into this category. Diablo defined a new genre of gaming so it really isn't fair to claim every other entry in the genre is just a "Copy". If this were true than Diablo itself could be considered just a "Copy" of the Rogue-likes as it borrowed heavily from that genre. With this logic you could concievably claim that every game ever made is just a "Copy" of what came before. Your logic is fundamentally flawed.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• wizyywizyy Novi SadPosts: 629Member

So, NOBODY here even heard of Lineage Eternal?

It's in development, tentatively planned for 2014 release.

It has better graphics than Diablo 3 and has many exciting gameplay innovations.

Just one of the videos showing gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcBFGK5B4w

• mindw0rkmindw0rk St-petersburgPosts: 1,351Member
    Diablo 3. PoE for me was the most boring between three
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    Originally posted by wizyy

So, NOBODY here even heard of Lineage Eternal?

It's in development, tentatively planned for 2014 release.

It has better graphics than Diablo 3 and has many exciting gameplay innovations.

Just one of the videos showing gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcBFGK5B4w

A lot of us have heard of it, but don't feel it's worth taking seriously until it gets close to release and we see what kind of game it will be.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

2»