Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new MMO (or online game) with a strong presence of PvP.

lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

The fact of the matter is, I've been a gamer for near 13 years now and I think its fair to say of those 13 years i've almost invested 2 years of actual time gaming. No, I'm not a fat nerd, and yes I do have a life, I just spend any and all spare free time gaming. Today though I have come to ask for your help, where should I look next?

I have a deep interest in PvP oriented games, I've played so many of them, I almost went pro in halo 3, to call of duty, to WoW, to rakion, to flyff, to savage 2, to darkfall, to League of legends, to DotA 2, to Starcraft 2 (just to name a small few). Recently I have fallen into a problem though. I have no idea where to go next.

I get to a point in games like world of warcraft where the amount of button mashing and CC kind of overrides the fun for me. On the same account games like starcraft where it is all macro and micro is too stressful and not entirely fun. The only real games I find myself falling back to often are league of legends and call of duty, but I really just want something to dedicate myself to, not a reset after every game.

I'm really into strategy but I really like fast paced gameplay at the same time. Are there any games you guys could recommend that would satiate my hunger for PvP but at the same time have good gameplay, and not be for lack of a better word, phased like LoL? I'm looking for more fantasy oriented, so shooters and sci-fi aren't what im looking for. If anyone could help me with this I would be ever so grateful.

Quick summary of traits: Immersive, doesnt need amazing graphics, does need amazing gameplay, needs a relatively strong player base (relative), needs PvP, needs to be fantasy, or at least not sci-fi/shooter.

Thank you ever so much if you could help me or at least try to!

Tl;dr: Help me find a good immersive PvP game, no shooters or sci-fi, view traits list ^ Thanks.

Also it doesn't necessarily have to be an mmo, it could be an online game where you simply pick up a character and jump into the fray, I've had a few smash hits for myself like that such as Arcanists by Jagex

Comments

• TraviksTraviks Member CommonPosts: 32

Try GW2, there is not much more, sorry.

Maybe Darkfall: Unholy Wars, but its on beta.

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111
    thanks for the response, I am lurking darkfall but not willing to invest until i see the final product, as for gw2 I played it and couldnt stand it. Thanks though!
  • django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115

Hey!

Have a look at Age of Wushu, open-pvp with heaps of PVP orientated events.

The combat is different but fun and challenging.

Currently open beta atm, free download.

Good luck!

Took a look at some of the gameplay, it's not really what i'm looking for but it looks very interesting i'm sure many others will enjoy it!
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Knight Online is the best PvP MMO in the market and has been for 10 years.

However you will need about a $1,000 bank roll to buy a character and items that are any good to be competitive in that dang game.

Knight looks pretty good actually, but I'm not willing to invest anything over 20 dollars on a game for the sake of viability.
  • naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    as others have said: Darkfall UW is a promising bet, still only in beta, but so far i can say as much that it's a promising bet and your performance in pvp drags in alot of factors, aswell as it is varied and situational
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Look no further than Path of Exile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE

Open Beta launch this Wed Jan 23 (Effective launch since it's final character wipe)

Will have full PvP as well

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Tera is pretty good in pvp, im currently playing dragon ball online the pvp is fun im currently playing the taiwan version the is a full english patch text in the works. I dont know it this game will make it too american and europe. There are alot of english players on the taiwan version.Go to a website call dbo community and download the english patch its not the full english patch but it translate some things like UI.
  • Honestly I've NEVER been a pvp person, EVER! I got GW2 and have been doing nothing but pvp since I started playing it. I love it, especially since you can jump right into max level pvp even on a level 1 (you scale to level 80). It's the most fun I've had since TBC wow.
    Originally posted by jpnole

Look no further than Path of Exile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE

Open Beta launch this Wed Jan 23 (Effective launch since it's final character wipe)

Will have full PvP as well

I like that response because that will make for a great game, no doubt, but im not looking for diablo-esque honestly, I might pick it up just to play but not really for immersive pvp.

Originally posted by EccentricPenguin
    Honestly I've NEVER been a pvp person, EVER! I got GW2 and have been doing nothing but pvp since I started playing it. I love it, especially since you can jump right into max level pvp even on a level 1 (you scale to level 80). It's the most fun I've had since TBC wow.

I really don't like gw2 at all, but your mentioning of having fun in TBC WoW makes me happy. I loved tbc pvp to no end, glad to see another TBC enthusiast

• Originally posted by lennpell
    Honestly I've NEVER been a pvp person, EVER! I got GW2 and have been doing nothing but pvp since I started playing it. I love it, especially since you can jump right into max level pvp even on a level 1 (you scale to level 80). It's the most fun I've had since TBC wow.

I really don't like gw2 at all, but your mentioning of having fun in TBC WoW makes me happy. I loved tbc pvp to no end, glad to see another TBC enthusiast

Yeah TBC wow contains quite possibly my fondest gaming memories. I do like GW2, but it still doesn't compare to the amount of fun I had back then.

Originally posted by lennpell

Yeah TBC wow contains quite possibly my fondest gaming memories. I do like GW2, but it still doesn't compare to the amount of fun I had back then.

Makes me kind of sad to see how the expansions have in essence devolved the game, I remember playing my draenei enhancement shaman and just going to town with 2h windfury procs in pvp, it didnt happen often but when I blew up a warlock or a mage I just felt so giddy inside.

• Scooch25Scooch25 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 105

There's honestly nothing outside of Darkfall: UW and Planetside 2. Maybe Aion.

Maybe pick up a shooter that isn't shit? Try Counter-Strike or Quake Live, they actually require some skill.

Don't listen to everyone suggesting GW2, that's garbage.

There are some new games out there like HAWKEN and Firefall. I can't think of anything PvP and fantasy oriented other than Darkfall though. 

• rottNrottN Member Posts: 161
    There is no good pvp games out atm, its all "wow-pvp"
    Originally posted by rottN

Good answer.

Originally posted by Scooch25

There's honestly nothing outside of Darkfall: UW and Planetside 2. Maybe Aion.

Maybe pick up a shooter that isn't shit? Try Counter-Strike or Quake Live, they actually require some skill.

Don't listen to everyone suggesting GW2, that's garbage.

There are some new games out there like HAWKEN and Firefall. I can't think of anything PvP and fantasy oriented other than Darkfall though. 

Yeah I'm going to keep my eye on darkfall but im still not too sure about it, i dont know what direction theyve taken the revamp, and I absolutely love aion but its just dead and or one sided right now, maybe if i lived in korea i'd play it often, as for planetside ive never really tried it, its sci-fi and I'm really not terribly interested in that..

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    While tera lacks in content a bit, and there is a lack of Instanced PvP (Cant till level 60)....the actual gameplay is the best ive EVER seen, world pvp is crazy fun if you are in an active guild, or even going red named if you got the guts to be targeted by everyone and everything...being tagged always made me anxious of what kind of player was around the next corner....im in the same boat as you i didnt like GW2 that much and im playing WoW and modern warfare 3 lately...but i'll definately be jumping back into Tera for free to play next month
    Never really looked at Tera because I didn't hear much good about it honestly, but if it's going f2p as you say there is no reason not to try it when it does!
  • rottNrottN Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by lennpell
    Originally posted by rottN

Good answer.

sorry, but its the truth mate... you need to go back in time when doac was populated to experience good pvp.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

That's because GW2's PvP is tailored for casual players / PvEers. The vast majority of PvPers couldn't stand it.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by ArzhAngel

Its not a new mmo but its the best pvp/ rvr game on the marked. DAOC and its for free.

http://uthgard.net/ (Classic version)

I love daoc but  uthgard isn't as fun as it seems. Doing BGs at 49 is very fun when there people but usually it's empty / one sided. at 50 in emain you will have to choose between taking on rr10+ veteran groups as a rr4-5 (impossible) or grinding guard tasks for rps until you reach rr7+ so you can take on those rr10 groups (boring as hell). I blame the players who are stuck up and don't allow zerging for low RRs. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• S4ndurS4ndur Member UncommonPosts: 19
    If  you want some scifi spaceship action EVE Online is the way. Real loss is always present and that makes PVP even more wunderbarawesomefun.

Catch you on the planetside!

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

play LoL with me :3

the rank system will be new so we could probably go pro! hahah

on a lighter note, you are most welcome to come join me in cabal. i just started playing and would like to play more with people :3

i have tera, tsw, gw2 and mists of pandaria but its good to kick back and relax with cabal i dont know why heh xD

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com