Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Player housing.. 2013 UO?! help? maybe?

badler210badler210 brooklyn, NYPosts: 1Member

y0 WhaTuP..

I am looking for a new mmo..

I have played everything from UO ---> WoW ----> RIFT

 

EVERYTHING...

Any good games with player housing..? sort of like the UO housing?

 

Comments

  • EndDreamEndDream orange county, CAPosts: 1,152Member
    Archage but it's not out yet.

    Remember Old School Ultima Online

  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by badler210

    y0 WhaTuP..

    I am looking for a new mmo..

    I have played everything from UO ---> WoW ----> RIFT

     

    EVERYTHING...

    Any good games with player housing..? sort of like the UO housing?

     

    Sadly, none out that even compares to UO.

    image

    What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

  • csthaocsthao Saint Paul, MNPosts: 1,111Member
    Vanguard lets you do a lot of house customizations, but is very limited compared to UO.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,641Member Uncommon
    Nothing comes close to UO.

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • Did you play Rift after they added their version of housing? Or LOTRO?
  • ThorkuneThorkune Eastern, KYPosts: 1,828Member Uncommon
    Of the current mmo's, I like EQ2's housing customization. Lotro is good, but you have to place your decorations in pre-determined locations. But, you can place items outside in your yard too though.
  • Originally posted by bigsmiff
    Of the current mmo's, I like GW2's housing customization. Lotro is good, but you have to place your decorations in pre-determined locations. But, you can place items outside in your yard too though.

    GW2 doesn't have housing yet ;)

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by EccentricPenguin
    Did you play Rift after they added their version of housing? Or LOTRO?

    Rifts housing is nice, but sadly it's instanced and doesn't have the same feel or functionality. 

     

    @OP you simply aren't going to find anything like UO's housing. It wasn't simply the housing system that made UO's housing possible and unique but it was a combination of mechanics and features that simply aren't present in any other MMO. 

    Nothing exists that can really even be considered close sadly. 

  • Originally posted by bigsmiff
    Of the current mmo's, I like GW2's housing customization. Lotro is good, but you have to place your decorations in pre-determined locations. But, you can place items outside in your yard too though.

    dang double posting :(

  • AethaerynAethaeryn Kitchener, ONPosts: 1,971Member Uncommon

    The new Rift housing update seemed pretty cool.  I loved the housing in UO as well but I would not play a game based on that.  

     

    In Rift now you can get a (instanced) space and buid it up.  You can change the size, rotation and placement of objects etc.  I think the new housing system sounds great. . although not in the world.. . but I just found RIft too boring.

    Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

  • ThorkuneThorkune Eastern, KYPosts: 1,828Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by EccentricPenguin
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    Of the current mmo's, I like GW2's housing customization. Lotro is good, but you have to place your decorations in pre-determined locations. But, you can place items outside in your yard too though.

    GW2 doesn't have housing yet ;)

    I have no idea why I put GW2. I meant EQ2...it's getting late lol

  • Rift's housing sounds really cool, but I really don't want to start from scratch and start up another sub-based game right now or I'd give it a shot. Hopefully GW2 adds in player or guild housing sometime this year.
  • ibn_Cartwellibn_Cartwell Northwest, MTPosts: 47Member

     

    In Asheron's Call the is one giant, seamless ( no zones ) world! There is certain ammount of Cottages, then Villas, and then few Mansions you can own, some with benefits as nearer to city, or good monster hunting grounds! Many players on the PK server raid other peoples mansions, heres a video of one allegiances attacking another mansions!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYTuir4oluQ ~ Mansion raid

     

     

     

    I think Asheron's Call 1 has the most robust combat mechanics, when monsters or players are firing at you, say arrows, crossbow bolts or magic spells you can dodge them, not insta pathed to you, also means you have to time and calculate your own attacks!

    heres a few videos of examples I could find

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhLdzvLtemQ ~ Missile skill ( bow in this example, throwing weapons and crossbow also play differently )

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaHsHnDG07c ~ War Magic skills

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nYOP1iz4OI ~ Void Magic + Dual weild

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPj9wI7m1B8 ~ Melee skill example ( dagger, all melees play differently )

    With the physics mechanics, and the ability for all players to heal themselves generally the outcome of any battle is changing many ways, combine that with openworlds, lack of zoning, great landscapes and structures with real time combat and you have your self a awesomely paced, and enjoyable game.

    Best thing to do is give it a shot and keep practicing! A level 10 can beat a level 35 with using "player skill" in dodging and attacking! or any level range really be it a level 126 vs a 275!

    And this was just combat, there was actual crafting, searching around the world for parts to an uber weapon, or basic things like sitting in town fletching arrows!

  • the420kidthe420kid Hamilton, ONPosts: 440Member Uncommon

    noone has mentioned it but imo star wars galaxies had some badass crafting / housing systems

     

    Place nodes on planets to collect, build houses and put npc robots in there to sell your wares to players etc

     

    I still remember when the game first came out I was playing on Lowca server working on my char and I found myself really enjoying grinding tusken raiders.  To avoid having to make town runs I put a house there and subd into dancing / medic to manage all my own wounds / fatigue inside my house as well as brought parties to my house instead of just a campfire.. Fast forward like a week or 2 from when I placed a house there and there was 15 houses 2 guild halls and all kinds of other stuff virtualy a town poped up where I put my first house cause others agreed it was a badass spot to live, and of course my house was on the edge as close as it could be placed to the raiders ensuring I was always the clossist / leetist player in the town :p

  • LionexxLionexx Lindale, TexasPosts: 679Member Uncommon
    DAoC Has amazing housing =) It does compere to UO/AC1 houesing but still UO and AC1 are still better but i LOVED DAoC housing spent many many hours there :D

    Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

  • RajCajRajCaj Lafayette, LAPosts: 706Member
    Originally posted by the420kid

    noone has mentioned it but imo star wars galaxies had some badass crafting / housing systems

     

    Place nodes on planets to collect, build houses and put npc robots in there to sell your wares to players etc

     

    I still remember when the game first came out I was playing on Lowca server working on my char and I found myself really enjoying grinding tusken raiders.  To avoid having to make town runs I put a house there and subd into dancing / medic to manage all my own wounds / fatigue inside my house as well as brought parties to my house instead of just a campfire.. Fast forward like a week or 2 from when I placed a house there and there was 15 houses 2 guild halls and all kinds of other stuff virtualy a town poped up where I put my first house cause others agreed it was a badass spot to live, and of course my house was on the edge as close as it could be placed to the raiders ensuring I was always the clossist / leetist player in the town :p

    Star Wars Galaxies was very close to a 3D version of UO.  In Ultima, players in a guild would buy / place houses next to eachother, and unofficialy deam it a guild city or community.  In SW:G, you could actually create guild cities, elect a mayor, and place an airport that would give you a direct flight to the nearest NPC city.  Crafters could sell their wares at their homes, and adventurers had a reason to go out exploring for good deals.

    Alas, MMOs took a very different direction after that game.....webpages with a list of your character's achievements & gear replaced player housing.  

     

    Maybe one day...

  • AkulasAkulas GoldcoastPosts: 1,615Member Uncommon
    The Sims and still UO surpasses that in player housing. Ashen Empires has player housing but you have to grind and work hard for it.

    This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

  • AnslemAnslem Ft. Lauderdale, FLPosts: 215Member

    UO housing was awesome -- I haven't had experience but hear that Wurm Online offers housing that's pretty cool. 

    I went back to UO this past fall and the experience just wans't the same - despite the housing fun. 

    Everyone was in factions (stat loss sucked) and I just could not get used to the look of gargoyles. 

    Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

Sign In or Register to comment.