Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Colin Johanson Talks 2013

2»

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM "It’s been a fantastic ride so far – in the few months since Guild Wars 2 launched we’ve sold more than three million games and have become the most critically acclaimed MMO of 2012." Nice! Does this include prepurchases?  
     Nice catch, but it wont be long before the naysayers are saying that 3 million is a sign of failure.

But its also not a sign of massive success either.

In the first 2 weeks they were over 2 million.

In the first month they were around 2.5 million.

So, that means in the past 4 months they sold around 500,000 copies worldwide.

Good overall sales but sales have slowed dramatically and for a Buy to play MMO that is not good.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Well, after watching the video, I'm not all that impressed with the game directors vision.  He seems to think one of the strengths of the game is the individual stories.  Maybe I'm just way off base on this...I could be, but the story aspect was pretty weak.

I've read over a couple hundred novels over the years, everything from sci fi, fantasy, action adventure, horror, crime/detective, etc.  I love stories and I love reading.  I like stories in single player rpg's as well.  But this idea of having story be central to a game's content feels more like an imposition.  Game telling compared to reading a novel or well crafted short story falls very short.  I just don't get the preoccupation with it, especially when the execution is so underwhelming.

This is MY OPINION of course, everyone has a different take on it.  But I'd rather the story establish the framework or setting, and let us build our own stories.

We already saw how important story was to SWTOR, which took it to the extreme.  GAMEPLAY and FEATURE SET are all important.  This crafting of story 95% of the time is amateurish.  Where it's good is it establishes your character within the world, provides some kind of direction and motive.  But then after that, let the players make their own way instead of holding their hand through some comic book story board.

Ok, end of rant.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Terranah

Well, after watching the video, I'm not all that impressed with the game directors vision.  He seems to think one of the strengths of the game is the individual stories.  Maybe I'm just way off base on this...I could be, but the story aspect was pretty weak.

I've read over a couple hundred novels over the years, everything from sci fi, fantasy, action adventure, horror, crime/detective, etc.  I love stories and I love reading.  I like stories in single player rpg's as well.  But this idea of having story be central to a game's content feels more like an imposition.  Game telling compared to reading a novel or well crafted short story falls very short.  I just don't get the preoccupation with it, especially when the execution is so underwhelming.

This is MY OPINION of course, everyone has a different take on it.  But I'd rather the story establish the framework or setting, and let us build our own stories.

We already saw how important story was to SWTOR, which took it to the extreme.  GAMEPLAY and FEATURE SET are all important.  This crafting of story 95% of the time is amateurish.  Where it's good is it establishes your character within the world, provides some kind of direction and motive.  But then after that, let the players make their own way instead of holding their hand through some comic book story board.

Ok, end of rant.

I don't think you understood what he was saying. It's not personal story that he was talking about.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Ok, end of rant.

I don't think you understood what he was saying. It's not personal story that he was talking about.

I don't think he was talking about personal story too, but I can understand the reaction.  The personal story is cheezy and the dialog is painful at times.  I don't even know if the voice acting is good or bad because the dialog is so horrific.  I don't mind doing the story missions though.  I just skip the voiceover dialog.

Everything else is awesome though.

Two people say I misunderstood, so maybe I did.  I do the same thing as you with the personal story by the way.

• tomis16tomis16 Member Posts: 9
    You've made my day. This should adress some major problems with the game. If they make it right, it'd be great! Looking forward to the next months then!
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Ok, end of rant.

I don't think he was talking about personal story too, but I can understand the reaction.  The personal story is cheezy and the dialog is painful at times.  I don't even know if the voice acting is good or bad because the dialog is so horrific.  I don't mind doing the story missions though.  I just skip the voiceover dialog.

Everything else is awesome though.

Two people say I misunderstood, so maybe I did.  I do the same thing as you with the personal story by the way.

Yes, personal story is pretty weak. But that's not one of the things he mentioned on the list for 2013.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Ok, end of rant.

I wouldnt call any of your post a rant...  It was very well written and truthfull....

In short, you nailed it sir..

• TamalinaTamalina Member Posts: 2
    My ban of NC Soft products stil ongoing.  No way I will chance any new or old game to being cancelled. 
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

My reaction to the "announcement" on WvW ?  "Clueless in Seattle " to be succinct about it. The mindless zerging is to continue...the score more points than my two week opponent...the incessant taking and instantly loosing and retaking of the same keeps/towers/supply camps over and over and over is still in place instead of meaningful server vs server warfare.

I screwed up spending $59 on this good pve game.Never again.

For now I've left the mmog genre.Playing Elder Scrolls SKYRIM...and watching develpments on Elder Scrolls Online.

• citadellicitadelli Member Posts: 36

I persionally enjoy the game. Story line is not like George RR Martin by any means, that's a bit extreme for an MMO to be honest, but I've found it enjoyable. Leveling... First MMO i honestly didn't feel like I was trying to level, it just happened, fairly painlessly and decently timed. 

WvW is my favorite part. I understand why some people think it's mindless zerging if they don't look into the entire science and mentality of it, and don't have an active wvw guild community. Mine's not huge maybe 20-30 active at any given time most of them in vent chat. Really changes the dynamic. I couldn't imagine it any other way anymore. It's a blast, and we're a beat up tier two team.  They're relaxed and have no tolerance for exploits. It's just plain fun.

As a guild who has always stuck to our server regardless of ranking, I'm really happy about the added restrictions of server transfers. I think this will honestly be the biggest improvement to the WvW that will have the most impact. I honestly am glad we aren't a tier one server, but I think it will help balance the playing field without seeing extremely dramatic change in power in only a weeks time.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm looking forward to what they have in the works.  Their agenda sounds exciting to me.  I do hope they start to add non-stabby content and systems as well.  That sort of stuff is part of a living breathing world too.

I too thought they would focus more on housing/non combat related things.  I always seem to foget that the devs and much of the GW crowd are almost entirely PvP focused (Non open world of course).  I suppose I'll need to get in to WvW more if I'm going to enjoy the future of the game.  

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    BLAH BLAH BLAH - people want housing in every game then they complain about the grind to get it. I am happy there is no housing in the game - go to Rift if you want it. Not every game has to have that crap.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by botrytis
    BLAH BLAH BLAH - people want housing in every game then they complain about the grind to get it. I am happy there is no housing in the game - go to Rift if you want it. Not every game has to have that crap.

player housing i could care less about as it's pointless imho in this type of game.. but customizable guild halls would be a welcomed addition.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

player housing i could care less about as it's pointless imho in this type of game.. but customizable guild halls would be a welcomed addition.

I do want guild halls - as it is Guild Wars 2 - I also want GvG...

Player housing is just dumb.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Good point.  I shouldn't have said housing as they have already ruled out any open world housing.  Instance housing would be as good as not having it at all.  Screw housing.  But they do need some more non combat stuff to do.  Jumping puzzles are a good start.

I'll have trick my brain into convincing myself that it's fun to take/lose/take the same keeps over and over again in WvW.

Guild halls, even if they're instanced, would be a nice addition.

BLAH BLAH BLAH - people want housing in every game then they complain about the grind to get it. I am happy there is no housing in the game - go to Rift if you want it. Not every game has to have that crap

If you don't like housing go play WOW.  That way we can stay and have housing.  And who says there has to be a grind.  That is an assumption on your part.  SWG didn't have a grind for housing.  I don't think LOTRO or EQ2 had a grind for housing either.  Maybe you have to do a quest line or pony up a little gold but I'd hardly call that a grind.

Not every game has housing, so I'm not sure you know where you get that.

There is already more than one way to pvp if that is your thing.  There are dungeons for people who like to do the same thing over and over.  What we don't have yet is housing, so let's add something new instead of more of the same.

BLAH BLAH BLAH - people want housing in every game then they complain about the grind to get it. I am happy there is no housing in the game - go to Rift if you want it. Not every game has to have that crap

If you don't like housing go play WOW.  That way we can stay and have housing.  And who says there has to be a grind.  That is an assumption on your part.  SWG didn't have a grind for housing.  I don't think LOTRO or EQ2 had a grind for housing either.  Maybe you have to do a quest line or pony up a little gold but I'd hardly call that a grind.

There is already more than one way to pvp if that is your thing.  There are dungeons for people who like to do the same thing over and over.  What we don't have yet is housing, so let's add something new instead of more of the same.

EQ2, Rift, wildstar(when released), and others already feature player housing and im sure couple upcomming games will as well.. what it doesn't sound like most have/will have is large fully customizable guild halls.. i'd prefer that WAY over personal instanced housing any day... to me unless it's like swg where i could make a house and setup a shop to show off and sell my loot i don't see what the fuss about it is...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

EQ2, Rift, wildstar(when released), and others already feature player housing and im sure couple upcomming games will as well.. what it doesn't sound like most have/will have is large fully customizable guild halls.. i'd prefer that WAY over personal instanced housing any day... to me unless it's like swg where i could make a house and setup a shop to show off and sell my loot i don't see what the fuss about it is...

People like different things? God forbid.

Originally posted by Leucent

People like different things? God forbid.

point was other games already have instanced personal housing.. what many don't have is large fully customizable guild halls.. would be nice to not just have more of the same... god forbid... don't get me wrong i have nothing really against housing as it is in games like Rift.. but overall don't see much purpose to it.

No housing.  Bla.  EQ2, Vanguard, SWG, DAOC, LOTRO and UO had it.  Rift recently added it.  None for GW2 though :(

More emotes would be nice.  Why not release them as an add on pack in the store if you can't justify adding them for free, although I think the number at release was a bit sparse.

GW1 didn't have it - why should GW2 - give one GOOD reason other than I want it (not good enough). What does it do for the game play besides waste resources?

If I have a choice - give us guild halls. This game is Guild Wars 2 not Housing Wars.