Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Newbie Guild Help

ashleymorrowashleymorrow Orlando, FLPosts: 176Member
GW2 is unlike any other game I have played to date. It is similar in some respects, but very different in others. I am getting a lot of guild invites out of the blue - no message sent beforehand or any contact whatsover. Is that normal?

I'm a casual player who is not into raiding and only dallys in PvP. I mainly PvE and engage in some light RP. I'm on Crystal Desert. Should I move to another server?

What should I look for in a guild? Are there any tools like a list of guilds and what their play style is like?

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance!

Comments

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow
    GW2 is unlike any other game I have played to date. It is similar in some respects, but very different in others. I am getting a lot of guild invites out of the blue - no message sent beforehand or any contact whatsover. Is that normal? I'm a casual player who is not into raiding and only dallys in PvP. I mainly PvE and engage in some light RP. I'm on Crystal Desert. Should I move to another server? What should I look for in a guild? Are there any tools like a list of guilds and what their play style is like? Thank you in advance for your help and guidance!

    most MMOs i have played that have been around for a few you will get random invites into guilds if they see you have no guild tag.. happens all the time..  i don't join a guild unless i talk to someone in the guild first. For guilds check here http://www.gw2guilds.org/guilds very good resource of guilds and you can see how big some are and if they have their own website.. I'm actually going to be doing some guild shopping soon.. also remember you can join multiple guilds but can only "represent" one at a time.. oh also for server really it's up to you.. my server sanctum of rall is still very full of people are we are currently in the top 5 of WvW rankings.. if WvW matters to you this is a good resource also for rankings http://mos.millenium.org/matchups#NA

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • ScalplessScalpless SnowballvillePosts: 1,395Member Uncommon

    Guilds that invite random people are usually terrible. If you want a good guild, you should probably look at the recruitment boards of the official forums, gw2guru and this site.

    As for what you should look for in a guild, well... whatever you want. Find a guild that does what you want to do and has a general atmosphere you like.

    The unofficial RP servers are Tarnished Coast (US) and Piken Square (EU). Transfers are free until next Monday.

  • ashleymorrowashleymorrow Orlando, FLPosts: 176Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
     

    most MMOs i have played that have been around for a few you will get random invites into guilds if they see you have no guild tag.. happens all the time..  i don't join a guild unless i talk to someone in the guild first. For guilds check here http://www.gw2guilds.org/guilds very good resource of guilds and you can see how big some are and if they have their own website.. I'm actually going to be doing some guild shopping soon.. also remember you can join multiple guilds but can only "represent" one at a time.. oh also for server really it's up to you.. my server sanctum of rall is still very full of people are we are currently in the top 5 of WvW rankings.. if WvW matters to you this is a good resource also for rankings http://mos.millenium.org/matchups#NA

     

    Wow, thank you Aerowyn! I will certainly take advantage of those resources. I really don't know if WvW matters to me because I haven't tried it yet. 

    That is really different that you can join multiple guilds! I need to study that. I suppose it would be a good way to try and get to know multiple ones at the same time.

    I suppose my question about the server was poorly worded. What I meant was, is there a server that is more "newbie friendly" or concentrates more on PvE and/or RP?

    Thanks again, happy Sunday to you.

     

  • ashleymorrowashleymorrow Orlando, FLPosts: 176Member
    Originally posted by Scalpless

    Guilds that invite random people are usually terrible. If you want a good guild, you should probably look at the recruitment boards of the official forums, gw2guru and this site.

    As for what you should look for in a guild, well... whatever you want. Find a guild that does what you want to do and has a general atmosphere you like.

    The unofficial RP servers are Tarnished Coast (US) and Piken Square (EU). Transfers are free until next Monday.

    THANK YOU! Going to transfer to Tarnished Coast now!

  • ashleymorrowashleymorrow Orlando, FLPosts: 176Member
    Ack! Tarnished Coast is full!
  • ashleymorrowashleymorrow Orlando, FLPosts: 176Member
    OK, got a transfer to Piken Square. Thank you for the help!
  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow
    OK, got a transfer to Piken Square. Thank you for the help!

    your profile says you are in US.. not sure if it's too wise to choose a EU server.. not saying you won't find people to play with but US servers are going to be a better bet for you to find others to play with due to time zones.. but if you play at very odd times maybe that won't matter..

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • Effin_RabbitEffin_Rabbit Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 772Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow
    Ack! Tarnished Coast is full!

    Still? Its been full since launch, I guess I got lucky.

  • ToxiaToxia Lake Charles, LAPosts: 1,319Member Uncommon

    There are lots of RP'ers on Jade Quarry as well. Buncha guilds focused on that. But, being #2 NA server is bound to draw that many people.

    IMO, its best to first find a packed server to squeeze into, then find your RP'ers, rather than go to an 'unofficial' RP server that might be dead in a week. ionno

    The Deep Web is sca-ry.

  • ashleymorrowashleymorrow Orlando, FLPosts: 176Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow
    OK, got a transfer to Piken Square. Thank you for the help!

    your profile says you are in US.. not sure if it's too wise to choose a EU server.. not saying you won't find people to play with but US servers are going to be a better bet for you to find others to play with due to time zones.. but if you play at very odd times maybe that won't matter..

     

    I do live in the USA, but in EQ2 I played on a Euro server (or maybe it was just that my guild had lots of Euro's, I can't recall). So far though the server is really nice and the people have been super friendly, having a great time! Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Sign In or Register to comment.