Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terrific game! Insanely good PVE

TheeLordTheeLord Member UncommonPosts: 138

I tried LOTRO back in beta and was not impressed.  But just recently I downloaded it with a friend after seeing the Hobbit.  I very highly recommend this game!!  Take your time to learn the game, level up to level 20 or 30, really give it a chance and check out the dungeons etc...  Can't believe how good the PVE is in this game, good crafting system, and so surprised you don't hear more about it.  Me and my friend and also my wife just subscribed as VIPs.

Join on the Windfola server if you do!!  Great and friendly / mature server!

Founder and Lead developer of Factions. The complete fantasy sandbox survival MMO.
Factions indiedb Page (most up to date info) | Factions Website

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    are you getting paid for this plug?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    It really is a good game. Great community and atmosphere. I played it for 2 years on and off, f2p has kept the pop decent too. It denfiently has its flaws, but what game doesn't.
  • TheeLordTheeLord Member UncommonPosts: 138
    lol no just think the game needs more attention

Founder and Lead developer of Factions. The complete fantasy sandbox survival MMO.
    Factions indiedb Page (most up to date info) | Factions Website

• TorreyHTorreyH Member UncommonPosts: 43
    It really is.  I can't speak to the later expansions, as I have only gotten as far as Mirkwood, but the original game and the Mines of Moria are excellent PVE, well worth the ride.  Especially if you appreciate the setting - Turbine has done a great job at recreating Middle Earth as a game world.  The epic quests, which follow the main story line, are especially good.  The community on my server is mature and friendly and supportive of role-playing, which is a refreshing change from other MMO's.  I did find the cash store annoying at first, but I seldom notice it anymore.  My main complaint is that  it can be hard to find groups at lower levels, so you end up soloing a lot of content that was clearly designed for a group.  Like a lot of older MMO's, the population is skewed toward the end game.  But other than that, LOTRO has a lot to offer.  Even the crafting is good.  :-)
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Always sat around and thought about downloading this game, but I just don't like getting late starts into games. Had I played it from the get go I bet I would love it. After all the LoTR is my favorite 3 movies of all time.

Can't bring myself to start the game though. Like I said I like to start from launch.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232
    Definitely is my favorite PvE mmo at the moment.  They've made some good changes over the years, and that combined with finally having a pc that can run it well, brought me back to playing last year.  I love the huge open landscapes, the slower leveling pace, and the incredible detail in the zones and structures.  Really is a beautiful game.  Mounted combat has been incredibly fun.  And shout out to Landroval for being such a wonderful server community.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Deosn't feel like lotr. A good company should make a new mmorpg called Middle Earth

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Deosn't feel like lotr. A good company should make a new mmorpg called Middle Earth

Haha. You are funny. What is the lotr feeling? 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by mymmo

A subjective intangible feeling the reader develops independently from others by interpreting the words of Tolkein in their own mind's eye.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Yeh, Rohan was definetly a great expansion compared to Isengard. They still need to do something about the combat, it's kinda clunky; allowing movement during casting and using abilities would help tremendously.

REALITY CHECK

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    great game sure, but insanely good pve? please, it's a well made WoW clone 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

There's a good Company but they're on an adventure right now (at least according to Jackson) - and I don't think dwarves are good programmers anyways :)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

This is an excellent game to get friends that aren't familiar with mmorpgs started in. It is a great way to get a wife or a girlfriend involved in you nerdiness. :)  It has an awesome story if you read the quests and get involved. 

It's a good game but it needs a better PvP/Faction system. The entire book screems of good and evil. IMHO the monster play restricts the game, and needs to be opened into an entire playable faction.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111

Simple

get 4 large midgets with hairy feet...send them on a quest to throw something in a vulcano, allong the way they meet all these weird ppl including some old guy who think they are kids and follows them allong and bring them in all sorts of trouble.

THAT is the lotr feeling! =P

Anyways LOTRO is indeed a very solid PvE game, i mean it has its flaws (stupid house rent) but besides that...its just a good game

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
    I recently resubbed and am a VIP.  I played the game soon after launch and found the combat restrictive.  The biggest problem I had was being unable to complete the Books due to lack of groups.  Now that you can solo the Books with the "inspiration" buff I no longer feel like I'm missing half the game.  LOVE IT!  Picked up my Captain and caught up on the books and ready to move to Moria!

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    However , the grafics and espacially the animations are so old that you cant play this game anymore. Even WoW feels better.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Sadly the turn off for me is character models and animations. I find combat very static, unappealing and killing the game for me. :(

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Yeh, Rohan was definetly a great expansion compared to Isengard. They still need to do something about the combat, it's kinda clunky; allowing movement during casting and using abilities would help tremendously.

^^^^^^ this..that is  the only thing that lets the game down..the combat.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

How original. I'm sure i've read this on another thread on here...

Are you playing it... no? What a surprise.

Originally posted by Broomy
    I recently resubbed and am a VIP.  I played the game soon after launch and found the combat restrictive.  The biggest problem I had was being unable to complete the Books due to lack of groups.  Now that you can solo the Books with the "inspiration" buff I no longer feel like I'm missing half the game.  LOVE IT!  Picked up my Captain and caught up on the books and ready to move to Moria!

I also just completed Moria solo and all the epics. Brilliant stuff and nice gear too. Doesn't detract from the over all feel of the game that the epics are now soloable at all. Still plenty of players in Moria and the 21st Hall as well. Trolls on here are missing out or don't have a clue what makes a good mmorpg, a bunch of muppets best ignored.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Originally posted by Tokken
    are you getting paid for this plug?

No he's probably just enjoying the best mmorpg out there at the moment, and i've played them all and still came back to lotro. I'm guessing you either aren't playing or just don't get it.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Sadly the turn off for me is character models and animations. I find combat very static, unappealing and killing the game for me. :(

Shallow it may be, but pretty much this.

I kind of thought the game a bit slow, the inability (at the time) to get groups to do the books detracted from things, and my Mins screaming ground on my nerves (actually the whole nature of combat in the game did a bit, but I'll grant that may just have been my class), but there were enough positives that I could have ignored all that... If not for the character models.

Such beautiful environments, mixed with the worst looking character models (static Ken-doll hair, seriously?) and animations, just... Ugh.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Something with realistic character models and animations I would imagine.

Great world, and true to the books, but terrible terrible character models.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

- Persistant and dynamic open world with beautiful and overwhelming artstyle.

- Heavy graphical effects.

- Few quests. Questchains that goes on for many hours, that tell stories of events in middle earth.

- Better character models and character animations.

- Random scripted NPCs.

- Hidden/Random/Zone/World events.

- Better crafting, different styles for each race and more realistic.

- Action oriented and fluid combat.

and more.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

- Persistant and dynamic open world with beautiful and overwhelming artstyle.

- Heavy graphical effects.

- Few quests. Questchains that goes on for many hours, that tell stories of events in middle earth.

- Better character models and character animations.

- Random scripted NPCs.

- Hidden/Random/Zone/World events.

- Better crafting, different styles for each race and more realistic.

- Action oriented and fluid combat.

and more.

How does that make it feel more like LotR?

At the end of the day the books are linear, so are the films.

I don't understand how adding/changing gameplay mechanics make it feel more like LotR's.