Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Main Story is 100% Soloable

13»

Comments

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by c0exist
    My question is this, if leveling and story quests are soloable why not just make another single player game?  I have been excited about this game since I heard news of it, as i am a huge rpg fan.  What makes the best mmorpgs in my opinion is that we are fighting as a group towards some evil incarnate or fighting for some other purpose.  Now sure some quests will be soloable but the fact that you can "beat the main story" by yourself contradicts the game being an mmo.  At that point its a single player game where you see random people running around instead of interacting with people to obtain a goal.  Because lets face it, an mmo is as good as its community and if you allow people to solo pretty much 90% of the game then a community doesnt exist.  My favorite mmorpg memories are when i was grouping with others and not through an instant match system where i would never see those people again but people who are actually on my server where i can call for their helkp and vice versa.  But maybe im weird, I really want to play this game and i will because i love elder scrolls game but the longevity of the game for me wont be there if this is the case.

after playing this u will see that Skyrim will feel more social than TESO, at least the skyrim npcs speak, group and socialize with u, and with amazing stories. In TESO u will be the ultimate hero as the wipeass69 at ur side, think in shallow and lonely experience... yes it will suck

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

My question is this, if leveling and story quests are soloable why not just make another single player game?  

Ok, the game is not for you, it's fine tho since devs never said they are making a game to suit you personally.

Move on?

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by Gdemami

My question is this, if leveling and story quests are soloable why not just make another single player game?  

Ok, the game is not for you, it's fine tho since devs never said they are making a game to suit you personally.

Move on?

Perhaps you didnt read my whole post, you are taking this as an insult to the game.  I am merely asking a question and want to see what others think because after all none of us know what this game will be like.   

• revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

Hello

I am not sure i ever completed the sory in any ES game, I played becouse it was a wonderful world to explore and interact with.  Morrowind was my First RPG and when i got around to playing NWN i was really disapointed that i could not kill the shop keepers.  I hope the Dev team on ESO pays much more attention to the world than any quest or main story line. 

Rev

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by ShakyMo Who cares its only the story, the least important part of an mmo, so unimportant many mmos manage to get by perfectly well by not having one.
    Because you either do something well or not at all.

Having no story is a lot less of a turndown than having a bad story.

Personally I think there should be a multiplyer story as well as a solostory (if you must have a solostory, I prefer playing MMOs with others) if a game should have a story. And I think GW2 is right with instancing the solostuff, people soloing can do that by themselves. Watching others solo is about as exciting as watching paint dry...

TESO should have a good story with both single and multiplayer parts (separate or together) or they should just skip the whole thing. 

That seems alittle bit bloated to me..

My opinion, Have a story line that dynamically scales for player 1-X (along with the difficulty) and good writing to not alienate players when npcs speak.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Perhaps you didnt read my whole post, you are taking this as an insult to the game.  I am merely asking a question and want to see what others think because after all none of us know what this game will be like.   

I did read it whole and it is the same story as always - the game/MMOs in general does not fit your perception what it is supposed to be.

The thing is, others have their perceptions too, and those may be vastly different from yours, and that is what devs need to consider.

Any developer will try to diminish the risk involved with investing significant amount of money and they will target largest audience possible. Forced grouping isn't something that would get them many people attracted, on the contrary.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by revslave

Hello

I am not sure i ever completed the sory in any ES game, I played becouse it was a wonderful world to explore and interact with.  Morrowind was my First RPG and when i got around to playing NWN i was really disapointed that i could not kill the shop keepers.  I hope the Dev team on ESO pays much more attention to the world than any quest or main story line. 

Rev

this!

personaly I dont care for story in any mmo(include awessome TSW),but care for interaction with other players & exploration

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Just because you can do something alone, does not mean you have to do it alone. Really...why does a big portion of the crowd that want to play with others need to be forced to play with others? 
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    I hope the dungeons and raids are epic and hardmode.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    My question is this, if leveling and story quests are soloable why not just make another single player game?  I have been excited about this game since I heard news of it, as i am a huge rpg fan.  What makes the best mmorpgs in my opinion is that we are fighting as a group towards some evil incarnate or fighting for some other purpose.  Now sure some quests will be soloable but the fact that you can "beat the main story" by yourself contradicts the game being an mmo.  At that point its a single player game where you see random people running around instead of interacting with people to obtain a goal.  Because lets face it, an mmo is as good as its community and if you allow people to solo pretty much 90% of the game then a community doesnt exist.  My favorite mmorpg memories are when i was grouping with others and not through an instant match system where i would never see those people again but people who are actually on my server where i can call for their helkp and vice versa.  But maybe im weird, I really want to play this game and i will because i love elder scrolls game but the longevity of the game for me wont be there if this is the case.

Every mmo on the market is soloable through the main story to max level. I haven't played one yet I cannot.  The only time I do group stuff is when it is monster content that is made for groups. All mmo's have that feature as well. Not sure what the gripe is I think you may be confused.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

Because after you get done doing the story crap you can then play the main part of the game which will be 3 faction pvp or higher tier pve that may require grouping. The story is just to get you to max level. You can group up and make it easier or challenge yourself and do them solo. In DAOC some classes were able to complete their quests solo but others asked for help with certain parts. I am completley ok with this as the main objective of the game for me will be the RvR. For me the leveling experience is just getting me used to new abilities and spells in order to prep you for the end game content.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

Originally posted by ComanJust because you can do something alone, does not mean you have to do it alone. Really...why does a big portion of the crowd that want to play with others need to be forced to play with others? 

They are not forced themselves, they want to force OTHERS to play the game how they believe the game should be played...

• chromekatanachromekatana Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by ant211
    Originally posted by calranthe
    Originally posted by ant211

i agree with OP. plenty of soloable games out already. ffxi was the best mmo for me because it was hard to achieve objectives without a good group. felt more rewarding and acievements meant more because not everyone could have the best shit.

i hope one day someone has the balls to make a tough game where adventure and levelling is the main focus and end game isnt the be all end all.

I like main story being 100% solo in an mmo, if an mmo has a story a good story you want to read and emerse yourself in that is not easily possible in groups, how many groups do you know who will let you wander around in a quest soaking up the atmosphere or roleplay ?

Play a single player game then

Well that is the standard reply sadly I have played multiplayer games since the 80's with the old bbs games, grouping had not even been invented in these games back then but we still played together chatting through talk while hitting the v key to kill a thing.

When I play an mmo it is to be social and yes I sometimes group but I do not need a game mechanic like "forced grouping" to cause me to group,

A single player game does not have the interaction in town and maybe making new friends that an mmo has.

I was brought up on films and fantasy where the lone hero saved the day, yes other people were around but  usually you had one main guy and sidekicks, I love the challenge of going out alone and adventuring in an mmo and then  talking to my friends back at town about my escapades.

Single player games do not give that.

wait... your telling me to play a single player game because i want to group up but you want to play an mmo because you want to solo.

your talking in reverse lol

When he says "play a single player game then", thats what others tell him.

Though, I  can understand how you could interpret it that way.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I do like playing with people, not just "with" people. I do like the fact that I might be able to do some solo content. Grouping is fun, but it is so subject to the human element.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Gdemami
    Originally posted by ComanJust because you can do something alone, does not mean you have to do it alone. Really...why does a big portion of the crowd that want to play with others need to be forced to play with others? 

They are not forced themselves, they want to force OTHERS to play the game how they believe the game should be played...

That's an interesting way of looking at things. Players can no longer hold content over each others' heads. What does it mean when players aren't the gate keepers of content?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Once a gamer, always a gamer.  

This means gamers are getting older, and with that comes families/jobs/responsibilities.  These gamers dont want to spend thier time looking for a group just to complete content they are paying for.

It is safe to assume all future AAA MMO releases will have a soloable story or suffer becoming a niche title(or worse, be unsuccessful).  Becoming a "niche" title isnt bad, but it is not the goal of any AAA release.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I am glad the story will be soloable.. Look at what happend to LoTRO.. Even during its height it was tough to get groups together for some of the book quests and after it was darn near impossible for most people. They had to go back and make it soloable by making the players OP during those group book quests while solo.