Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter - The best Sandbox, Themepark in development!!!!

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

When I think of sandbox's I think of alot of systems in place that encourage and reward mundane things.  Like Crafting, Building and Socializing.  Those things are important but only to a degree because the most enjoyable experience of any MMO has always been new adventures and new places to see followed by a wonderful progression system.

In Neverwinter, the Devs have implemented what I think is the #1 element that makes an MMO fun...."NEW CONTENT".  Neverwinter utilyzes the Foundry system to allow custom content to be created that concentrates on Combat, Adventure, Exploration and Progression....Arguably the biggest and most important things to do in an MMO, and arguably the things that make a Themepark more fun in the short term compared to a sandbox.

What happens in 99% of all MMO's is the game starts off fun but eventually you exhaust most of the developer created content and you get bored (Read GW2) and there eventually comes a time when content can't keep up with the instatiable appetite of the players resulting in player loss.  Neverwinter corrects this because during the long periods of development time needed to produce good content can now be filled with player made content.  So in essence, NWO becomes the best sandbox game because it offers plenty of long term content to appease the playerbase while still concetrating on the 3 elements that make Themeparks more fun and more enjoyable then their sandbox cousins.

This is my opinion only, and is the great reason why I thiink UGC is cure all for all themepark woes.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227

Your freaking trolling.. I have not even read the thread yet.

Edit: I dont even know where to begin, my brain fryed, need a new harddrive.

This is cryptic were talking about, short term mem anyone.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Undoubtebly there will be some gems, but most will be unimaginitive. Hopefully the dev team will continue with content and not rely solely on UGC for the longevity of the game.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    foundry is the #1 thing that peaks my interest in this game.. really hopin beta opens soon want to try it out

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839
    I personally am taking advantage of the foundry as well, seeing as end game will go on forever instead of gear grindind (GW2 & DCUO). Also if anybody is interested i have a blogger page for my guild at http://nwicewinddale.blogspot.com/ . We are "The Guild Of Icewind Dale". 
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Other games have tried user made content, Ryzom, City of Heroes, Star Trek Online, and at least one other i'm having trouble recalling. It's a neat feature, but it's never been the saving grace for any of these games as far as i've ever been able to tell.

I guess we'll see how it turns out for Neverwinter though.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    Not impressed by the game.
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Other games have tried user made content, Ryzom, City of Heroes, Star Trek Online, and at least one other i'm having trouble recalling. It's a neat feature, but it's never been the saving grace for any of these games as far as i've ever been able to tell.

Very true.. Personally I prefer a system like the mission system in Anarchy Online..

I wish they could do that but with thousands upon thousands of variables to truly make random missions almost enitrely unique for many many runs..

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Never tried Ryzom's but since it was a fairly low populated game and I never played Its hard to determine if its good or not.  As for Cryptic's CoH and STO, they were both non-fantasy and even Jack Emmert himself said fantasy is the only mainstream gaming genre that allows for greater population since scifi and super heroes are more niche.

Now it could be Dev Speak and we all know that Devs never say grandiose statements about their games LOL, but they did say the difference between STO's Foundry and NWO's Foundry was like going from Windows 3 to Windows 7.  Seeinbg as the Auroa Toolset for NWN single handidly keeps thousands playing those games, its not out of the realm of possibility to think NWO couldn't do the same.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Its not a sandbox, but yes it does have some interesting themepark rides in it.

I wish sandbox never became the new buzzword people can use to "sell" their game to others with

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Its not a sandbox, but yes it does have some interesting themepark rides in it.

I wish sandbox never became the new buzzword people can use to "sell" their game to others with

I know it isn't a sandbox but it is better then a sandbox because it offers all the things that make a themepark generally more fun in the short term while continuing that out over the course of a long time, the point wherte sandbox's generally take over due to more solid features but also more boring and grindy features.  NWO fixes the main issues with themepark's, the lack of content which is arguably the best feature of a sandbox.  Hence it is IMO the best sandbox, themepark MMO to come.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by azzamasin

...  NWO fixes the main issues with themepark's, the lack of content which is arguably the best feature of a sandbox.  ...

Foundry will be awesome! :)

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

The best Sandbox, Themepark in development eh?

Not sure why the game name Neverwinter is in front of it though?

Anyways, back to checking out the new Archeage English website

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    This game is so far from a sandbox it's not funny. 

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105

I looked up the definition of Sandbox a sandbox game, and the concensus seems to be summed up by:

"Sandbox games are supposed to be non linear games that allow the player to alter the world" 

I think by this definition, Neverwinter foundry modules can be a sandbox.

Individual game designers will be able to craft modules that have extreme player freedom.  The only real limitation is that modules are limited to 5 co-op players.    You could probably make a good medieval facsimile of many existing sandbox games like for example "Grand Theft Horse".

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Osmanthus

I think by this definition, Neverwinter foundry modules can be a sandbox....

I am pretty sure final fantasy I to IV can all be created using foundry :p

But foundry is about making a PnP campaign into game - i.e. you go and search for quests, do those quests and face the consequences. I think it will be possible to use foundry to do that.