Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Find the Perfect MMORPG

NariannaNarianna Member Posts: 11

Hi everyone! So awhile back I was sucked into MMOs. I tried Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft. WoW ended up eating my soul. I lost days playing that game. Well, a man and his children entered my life and I had to stop WoW cold turkey or I'd shirk my ever increasing list of responsibilities.  However, it seems that I've now found a fairly responsible medium of gameplay and I need answers! I have maybe an hour on week nights and a few hours on the weekends to play at most so I want to make sure I pick the perfect game to invest my time and money in. Which would you recommend? Below are some of the things I'd like to find in my perfect MMORPG:

1. I'm big on the Role Playing aspect.

2. I want to be able to solo.

3. Great character customization is a big plus. Both looks and game play.

4. Hotkeys

5. Guilds

6. Mature people. I don't want to play with a bunch of idiots.

7. Good graphics. Nothing 2d flash animation.

8. Creative quests. Not the same find stuff/kill stuff quests over and over again.

9. Professions/crafts. I really like the idea of being able to mindlessly level up a skill.

I've been thinking of going back to Everquest 2 or WOrld of Warcraft again. I've also been toying with the idea of Rift. Can anyone compare/contrast those 3 games? Or give me new options? The hubby has suggested Star Wars Old Republic as well.

Comments

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Im done with GW2, but it did suck up alot of time for me. Youll get your $60 worth for sure!
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My suggestions would be Rift, The Secret World, and GuildWars 2.

Of the three, my impressions are:  Rift is within striking distance of proving its longevity so the dev is going all out with features.  TSW didn't sell well considering the budget of the game, but seems to have its strong points.  GW2 is post-honeymoon after release, a tough time, but it seems to do well keeping the PVE crowd happy.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Sounds like the Secret World for you. Especially if you want interesting quests.
  • NariannaNarianna Member Posts: 11
    I played GW about 8 years ago. I don't remember there being any RPing whatsoever and you had to leave the general area in order to quest. Is all that still true in GW2?
  • sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68

Vanguard is your game for sure! meets and exceeds all your criteria.

It's free to play so give it a try.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Narianna
    I played GW about 8 years ago. I don't remember there being any RPing whatsoever and you had to leave the general area in order to quest. Is all that still true in GW2?

There is no "general area" (I assume you mean the hubs in GW1) in GW2. It's an open world mmo.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    I appreciate the Storyline of Vanguard really well but the graphics just don't seem to measure up to the other games proposed. This Secret World games looks very intriguing, though. I will add it to the list of WoW, EQ2, Rift, and SWTOR. So many choices!
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    It sounds you looking exactly for Age of conan, give it a shot. it's really good now! and f2p to an extent.
    So in GW2 you're able to see and talk to people even while questing? Is there a lot of RPing in GW2?
  • RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    I appreciate the Storyline of Vanguard really well but the graphics just don't seem to measure up to the other games proposed. This Secret World games looks very intriguing, though. I will add it to the list of WoW, EQ2, Rift, and SWTOR. So many choices!

Interesting, you say the graphics in Vanguard are not up to par with other games listed, yet they beat quite a few of them easily. Have ever played the game with full settings? I'm guessing not since you think otherwise.

As far as your question, there is no "perfect" mmo. They all have their good and bad. I honestly doubt your would get into The Secret World. That game takes actual thought and I'm not saying you don't have any or could not play it. However, you think Boracraft has great graphics so, a game like that would truly blow you away.

At least you have Rift and EverQuest 2 on your list.  Rift is good since it fills what you want. Either that or the carrot following Borecraft. If you like a variety, I would go with EverQuest 2. Tons of classes, lots of content and it has great graphics with the settings all the way up. (even decent ones with average settings).

Noone can really tell you what to play, I suggest you pan out and try some. Good luck.

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    Vanguard graphics are better tyhan 95% of any mmorpg out there, Not sure what kind of graphics card u have?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Yea you really should download and try Vanguards F2P , its a very good F2P model ...Sounds like it would fit you well
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Hi everyone! So awhile back I was sucked into MMOs. I tried Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft. WoW ended up eating my soul. I lost days playing that game. Well, a man and his children entered my life and I had to stop WoW cold turkey or I'd shirk my ever increasing list of responsibilities.  However, it seems that I've now found a fairly responsible medium of gameplay and I need answers! I have maybe an hour on week nights and a few hours on the weekends to play at most so I want to make sure I pick the perfect game to invest my time and money in. Which would you recommend? Below are some of the things I'd like to find in my perfect MMORPG:

2. I want to be able to solo.

3. Great character customization is a big plus. Both looks and game play.

4. Hotkeys

5. Guilds

6. Mature people. I don't want to play with a bunch of idiots.

7. Good graphics. Nothing 2d flash animation.

8. Creative quests. Not the same find stuff/kill stuff quests over and over again.

9. Professions/crafts. I really like the idea of being able to mindlessly level up a skill.

I've been thinking of going back to Everquest 2 or WOrld of Warcraft again. I've also been toying with the idea of Rift. Can anyone compare/contrast those 3 games? Or give me new options? The hubby has suggested Star Wars Old Republic as well.

Forsaken world maybe

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.

Oh geez, Guys. I didn't mean to step on any toes with that statement. I was just going off the media screenshots on their website versus the other games listed. I just have so many games to choose from that I was trying to narrow it down. There seems to be quite a bit of passion for Vanguard so I'll give it a shot on the trial version. :)

Oh also, the money isn't too terribly important. I don't mind paying for a subscription if the game is worth it.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
  • allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    I have to agree that Vanguard is worth a shot if you've never played it.  Such a huge world and the combat is pretty good.  Same with Age of Conan, it's has a whole different feel to it but if you've never played it, might as well give their freemium a whirl.  I loved it.  For me, I am hoping Neverwinter comes through with the qualities that you have mentioned.  
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

MMOs are the wrong place to look for that.

This "perfect" MMO you're looking for may, in fact, have a lot to do with your dissatisfaction. (Or hell, this entire site).

6. For example--is only possible in single-player games. Any game involving more than one person risks "idiots". Either work on your tolerance, or accept that this standard cannot be met.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    So in GW2 you're able to see and talk to people even while questing? Is there a lot of RPing in GW2?

I'm playing on an unofficial EU RP server of Guild Wars 2. There is a whole lot of rp. Lion's Arch is full of roleplayers, each tavern is full of people roleplaing with eachother. I am in two roleplaying guilds. One is more casual and they only roleplay at events, either player-driven or Anet events. The other is heavy rp and they roleplay EVERY DAY. Like, each time I log in at semi-peak hours, I see at least 5 members in Lion's Arch. I know they are roleplaying and aren't just afk in the market. There are usually more than 10 members roleplaying at evenings, though.

To be honest, if anything, GW2 is great for roleplaying. Especially, considering how rich the world is with lore, thrown around here and there, having random npcs talk to eachother and such... Do note that since there aren't any OFFICIAL roleplaying servers, there are no hard naming policies and GMs will not defend roleplayers openly. Yet, the community seems very understanding and friendly to roleplayers. Friendlier than non-roleplaying community on wow RP servers, from my experience.

Still, if roleplaying is your main point, I'd strongly recommend LOTRO on Laurelin. Best and most dedicated roleplaying community I've ever seen in any mmorpg. All quests are VERY strict to the lore. No cyberpunk and sci-fi bulls**t in lotro fantasy world. Moreover, I think it's the server with most strict roleplaying rules that are fully supported by the developer and game masters. There are no OOC names and, afair, you can't even talk OOC in /say.

Good luck!

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I thought I'd be the first saying LotRO but sudo was faster :) My 2 cents are:

LotRO: rp is great on rp servers, solo, hotkeys, guilds, mature players (with emphasis, the community is great), good graphics, profession/crafting.

On the middle ground is character customization - by the looks it's awesome (and has a big aspect on rp too, you really should check some LotRO fashion pages) but by gameplay it's only average, your class is more or less defines your gameplay.

On the somewhat negative, creative quests. While it has some (session plays, for example), you will find a lot of wow-like, same old "go and kill" quests as well.

TSW: rp is good and getting better as the game goes on, solo, character customization in every direction (imagine a very big plus here), hotkeys, guilds, mature players (b2p had its effects though ;) ), good graphics (again a huge plus here, if you have a decent pc), creative quests (again a big plus)

On the middle ground, profession and crafting, it's there, and you can craft almost everything in game, but it's not feel a profession at all. It's easy, it's there, and... that's all. :)

Both can be played with only 1-2 hours at a time, financially both are at the same level (with about 30$ you'll get a lot of entertainment value).

Edit: a fashion page for example :)  http://lotrofashion.blogspot.hu/2012/08/cluck-cluck.html

(ps. I love AoC as well, but I think it'd stumble upon char. customization by looks, rp, and on mature community :) )

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Age of Conan, The Secret World

maybe Rift

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,374

As someone mentioned, you definintely can see and talk to other people in the open world in GW2

Now, whether you actually will see anyone in the open world (esp levels 20-70) and whether or not they will actually take any time to speak with you is another matter and you can see multiple threads on these topics debating it.

Like almost all solo centric, modern theme park style MMO's the pacing is designed for fast action, not socialization, and I'd be surprised that outside of your guild you'll find much in the way of social interaction in the game world.

In fact, most games these days have dungeon finders and the like where the players just queue up in their home city and pop in and out of instanced dungeons, sadly more like the original GW1 than a more virtual world MMORPG used to be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu OP. 

I haven't gotten into the questing, because you don't have to do them to progress, but during the first chapter (extended tutorial) the stories were pretty good.

Idk what it is about this game but it pulls RP out of people. I don't know if people are sitting down in little groups and RP'n, but just during the natural game it happens. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

The Secret world or perhaps something like City of Steam (<- Though the graphics are not as good as client-based games.. the gameplay feel and in depth lore make it awesome)(also.. hats.. lots of hats XD)

Gw2 is only advisable due to the price.. its worth the 60 dollar due to having like 200 hours of gameplay.. 

downside.. after those 200 hours gameplay your totally mentally done with gw2 and will move on

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    I will add another in for Vanguard. Definitely check that out. Now that all race/class restrictions are gone with f2p you can get a good feel before paying anything.
  • ExzearExzear Member UncommonPosts: 65

This sounds like you would have an amazing time in Guild Wars 2 personally i hated it.. But im a PvPer and a sandbox fan. also like full loot so GW2 was not even a slight bit of fun for me :p but sounds like its good everythingu  want.. its a very nice crafting system/progression system so im sure you will like that. also good character creation and graphics and the quests are not just text its some story behind alot of them.. id also recomend SWTOR because that story is really good, but if u dont like that kind of stuff and want normal fantasy then go with GW2!

GL!

Youtube.com/TheNorseGamer