Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a new pc

st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

I'm starting a new build, as my old one is around 5 or six years old

My first question is looking for a good mother board / cpu for around about 400$. Im sticking with AMD as i have an i7 in my laptop and always had AMD in desktop.

secondly a good set of gaming ram. between 8 - 16 gigs.  (2x4 or 2x8 gig sticks)

any help apreciated

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

i think i like the AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz. better then the other one.  if i were to go with that one would it make sense to go with the higher end motherboard also? i dont want to have a  mother board that cant handle the processor

and do you think the stock heatsink will be enough for something like that, or better to get aftermarket there also

also was looking at the asus sabertooth and it says no onboard video.  that wont be a problem in the long run but if that true i will have to buy my new video card first.

The Asrock motherboard will do just fine with either processor. Its not a case of it handling it at all. The Asus is a more Overclocking friendly motherboard probably. But Unless you plan on doing a big OC and maybe crossfire or SLI then there is no reason to spend alot of money for stuff you wont need.

Unless you just like having those features available to you.

The stock heatsink will be OK, I personally would get another. It sounds like you are trying to piece a system together bit by bit??

If thats what your doing then make sure your Power supply is adequate too.

Depending on your budget. I would go with the AsRock mobo, the 6300 and the 16G of Gskill RAM. Add in an aftermarket cooler such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

That should get you a very nice AMD based system. One that if your planning to add other stuff later, such as a better GPU, SSD, Ect will be just fine.

One word of caution. Make sure your power supply is decent and can support what your planning on doing. Dont skimp out on PSU.

Good luck

EDIT : Neither of those boards have - Onboard Video. If you need one with it then search in newegg under AM3+ motherboards and see what you can find with onboard.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

I personally don't particularly like onboard video as it takes up space which I think could be used for something better like extra PCIE slots or RAM.

Also, no CPU cooler in the world is going to help you if your case has insufficient air flow. So make sure you get something that moves enough air.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    What I've got fx6300 and 7950hd. Best bang for your buck combo going.
    I would get quality in mobo either gigabyte or asus, doesn't have to be top of the rang,e, their middle level stuff is high quality.

Same with psu, go for a quality brand like rosewell or corsair rather than raw wattage
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

If you want to go with an AMD processor, that's fine, but you should make sure that you understand the trade-offs.  Basically, AMD offers you more, slower cores, while Intel offers you fewer, faster cores.  In programs that scale well to at least six cores, an FX-6300 is about as fast as a Core i5-3570K.  In programs that scale well to at least eight cores, an FX-8350 is about as fast as a Core i7-3770K.

But in programs that don't scale past four cores, the Intel processors win by quite a bit.  AMD Vishera-based processors (FX-*3**) aren't terrible, but they're not as fast as Intel's high end.

Games are pretty easy to scale to about as many processor cores as you want.  But some older or badly-coded games don't scale well to very many cores.  In those games, the Intel processors will tend to perform substantially better if they're very CPU-intensive.  (If a game is light enough on CPU load to run great on a Pentium III, it doesn't matter how many cores it scales to unless you want to run it on a tablet.)  So it's really a question of whether you like to play badly-coded games.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

I understand all about brand loyalty TRUST ME (Look at my post history).

But AMD has really dropped the ball on desktop CPU's and I'v used AMD religiously since the 486 DX2/50 I still hate Intel for their monopolistic tactics and rooting for the lil guy but it does no one in the computer industry any favors at this point to prop up a failing devision such as AMD's cpu devision.

Do yourself a favor and go with Intel this time. It's time to let AMD's CPU devision sink and be bought up by Samsung or IBM.

Originally posted by grndzro

Do yourself a favor and go with Intel this time. It's time to let AMD's CPU devision sink and be bought up by Samsung or IBM.

It is widely believed that AMD's x86 license wouldn't transfer if they get bought out by a different company.  Even if it would, it's far from clear that IBM, Samsung, or anyone else would want to take on Intel directly.

I would say AMD massively dropped a bollock with the bulldozers. But the pile drivers are competatively priced mid range chips.

But yeah cpu use they ain't what they were.
    Ideal scenario AMD and ARM merge. Then you've got competition to Intel.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Ideal scenario AMD and ARM merge. Then you've got competition to Intel.

Um, no.  AMD is much larger than ARM, and if AMD were to buy out ARM and then subsequently go out of business, it wouldn't just mean no competition for Intel in x86 CPUs.  It would mean no competition for Intel in consumer CPUs, period.  (Yes, yes, VIA, I'm ignoring you.)

I think ARM's business strategy of "we'll design cores and then license them cheaply to do whatever you want" has been very good for consumers.  That ARM has figured out a way to run high profit margins while enabling consumers to get very cheap chips for all sorts of things is how capitalism ought to work.

Yes i plan to build piece by piece. as i can still play most of my games on med - high im in no rush.

what power supplies do you recomend.

also i dont really like the on board video either but it would save me some time until i bought the video card.  on that subject i seen some new 660ti and i was wondering what you guys thought of the new "TI" whats it do?

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Quizzical

It is widely believed that AMD's x86 license wouldn't transfer if they get bought out by a different company.  Even if it would, it's far from clear that IBM, Samsung, or anyone else would want to take on Intel directly.

Intel would be a monopoly then and would be forced to split up the company. Intel would play ball I think.

IBM might be the only company with the technical know how to take on Intel, And Samsung has very deep pockets.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Intel would be a monopoly then and would be forced to split up the company. Intel would play ball I think.

IBM might be the only company with the technical know how to take on Intel, And Samsung has very deep pockets.

Why would IBM or Samsung want to buy out AMD even if they could, and knew that they could keep the x86 license?  It's awfully tough to compete when the process nodes available to you lag way behind what is available to Intel.  IBM has their own Power architecture and has no need to share an architecture with Intel.  Samsung is doing quite well for themselves as it is without needing to declare war on Intel.

Nvidia might want an x86 license in order to do what AMD is now doing, and pairing a high performance CPU with high performance graphics.  But if Nvidia were to buy AMD, you'd have a graphics monopoly, and that's no good.

The only other tech company I can think of that might want AMD is Apple, both in order to get good graphics capabilities in house and to be able to manufacture their own CPUs with higher performance than they can get in ARM cores.  But if Apple were to buy AMD, let's just say that AMD wouldn't be a budget alternative to anything anymore.  Whether or not performance went up, prices sure would.

Well, it's possible that ATIC might want AMD if they went bankrupt.  But that wouldn't change AMD's situation much.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

Was AMD guy since my K5 back in 1996. My 965BE@ 4ghz was my last. Built an i5 @4ghz/660ti machine this winter and am sold. Not going back to AMD in the forseeable future. That said, if you live near a MicroCenter you can get some really nice deals. Rolled out of there with a 3570k and Gigabyte Z77X-UD5h for like $300 as they offer the best CPU prices and mobo bundle discounts anywhere in the US. 

AMD brand loyalty aside (because I was there for almost 2 decades) there is NO competition between Intel and AMD gaming rigs. None. It's not your grandpappy's AMD anymore.

well with all the responses about intel, i may rethink my approach on this. what are some good intel chips / mobo's to look at in the 400$ range for the pair
    Originally posted by st4t1ck
    well with all the responses about intel, i may rethink my approach on this. what are some good intel chips / mobo's to look at in the 400$ range for the pair

Well hopefully we can get this thread back on track instead of derailed into an Intel vs AMD vs ARM debate.

Actually what you probably want to do is list what your budget is ( or will be ) what parts ( if any ) you will be reusing.

Its usually better to buy everything at once instead of piece by piece over a few months. But thats up to you of course. Just list what your aiming to spend total and I can list a few parts for ya.

As far as intel goes. If you can afford it then go with the I5 Ivy Bridge and a Z77 motherboard. Both will be a bit more expensive than AMD. If you are on a limited budget I would say go with AMD. Their new CPUs are good solid processors and the money saved can go to something like a better GPU or an SSD.

If budget is $1200 or so then intel is the way to go. Below that you can build a really strong AMD system with an SSD and a very nice GPU. I personally use Intel, My brother and another buddy of mine both use AMD. Honestly the difference is minimal in games, or anything else for that matter. For everyday use and gaming AMD is just fine.

IMO

To answer your question tho.

Here is CPU, Mobo and RAM for just over $400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

With a $15 rebate and a 10% off promo code that will drop you below $400.

Well i'm not really in a rush, If i buy piece by piece or save up my money and by all at once doesnt make much of a difference to me.  I chose piece by piece because as long as i get  mother board / cpu / ram (I would buy these 3 at once) i can use the my old video card hard drive and power supply until i get the rest of the pieces.

After reading up a little bit i think im gonna go witht the sabertooth mobo and the amd 8320 vishera.

So the next piece to look at would be GPU and i'm a little lost with the newer tech. like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125446

is see this TI on a lot of newer ones. is that something i should be looking for?

Originally posted by st4t1ck

Well i'm not really in a rush, If i buy piece by piece or save up my money and by all at once doesnt make much of a difference to me.  I chose piece by piece because as long as i get  mother board / cpu / ram (I would buy these 3 at once) i can use the my old video card hard drive and power supply until i get the rest of the pieces.

After reading up a little bit i think im gonna go witht the sabertooth mobo and the amd 8320 vishera.

So the next piece to look at would be GPU and i'm a little lost with the newer tech. like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125446

is see this TI on a lot of newer ones. is that something i should be looking for?

My opinion.

I would go with a better gpu. I dont know the ins and outs of Nvidia cards. If you want Nvidia go with the 660 or 670. Not sure which versions are better ( Ti, GTX, ect. ) Perhaps someone else can give you advice on those.

A 7870 or a 7950 would be my pick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404

Getting a better gpu is a good idea, even if you drop a bit off the cost of mobo and cpu. You can save $50 or so just going with the 6300 cpu.

EDIT: If you plan on upgrading gpu before psu make sure your existing one supports the new graphics card.

The 660ti is massively overpriced.

Either go lower with a 660gtx or 7870hd

Or go higher with a 7950hd or 670gtx.

I've seen 7950s go for less than 660tis despite being much faster and having a lot more clocking room.
    Im not sold on nvidia or ati i was just wondering.  and the price isnt really a problem becaus ill just take my time and buy the one i really want. i was just wondering if the "TI" was something special that i had no info on.
    did some research on the gigabyte 7950 and seems some have been having hdmi audio probs. does anyone know if they have corrected that issue as i do hdmi for movies from time to time