Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance is my top pick for a MMORPG in 2013.

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Seeing quite a few differing accounts of the game. Some say no meaningful loot or character progression in a pve game.....huh? I hope these people are really wrong. I don't really care what the combat is as long as it has character building and some sort of open world freedom.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Played the game for about 30 minutes and that was enough for me.  Already uninstalled and crossed out on my list.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Played the game for about 30 minutes and that was enough for me.  Already uninstalled and crossed out on my list.

unfortunatly same for me but i gave it 9 solid hours but sadly cancelled my pre-order.. will check back maybe after release

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

unfortunatly same for me but i gave it 9 solid hours but sadly cancelled my pre-order.. will check back maybe after release

Preorder? I thought this was going to be a FTP?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Preorder? I thought this was going to be a FTP?

think it's b2p.. you can pre-order on amazon.. also it's a cross platform so doubt it would be free on consoles

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Wait since when is Defiance the only one to be cross platform? FFXI beat them to the punch a long time ago! Also FFXIV:ARR will be cross platform as well. I won't speak ill of anything else you posted, as I haven't tried the game personally.

Honestly, I'm curious and want to try the game out. But I think I'm going to wait for release and not spoil the experience :)

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Seeing quite a few differing accounts of the game. Some say no meaningful loot or character progression in a pve game.....huh? I hope these people are really wrong. I don't really care what the combat is as long as it has character building and some sort of open world freedom.

Beta is beta, as they say, but with release date aimed to be close to the TV show launching (April) I don't see much room for improvement (unless they have much more updated build ready and being tested) 

As for the OP. I don't see how a MMO being cross platform is a good thing. On the contrary, I see it as one of worst things that a MMO can do. Why? Because MMOs live and die on updates, and ocnsoles have certification process for every single patch you want to apply to game. That means, that any fix to gameplay will be delayed because it has to go through beauractic machine of Microsoft. How is that good thing? 

Another thing, pad vs mouse/keyboard controls in a twitch third person shooter combat. Forced aim assist, not a plus in my book.

Plus of course ton of other limitations and design choices that come with the game being spread on 3 platform make it a mess on all of them. Dedicated design is always better option. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by steamtank
    as a PC gamer i have no real hope of a cross platform game being exciting. So far any game I have played that from concept was meant to go cross platform has felt childish on a PC.

The only thing that concerns me is all the kids and obnoxious teens that will be playing it since it will be on PS3 and Xbox. No way I could play it and have to listen to kids chatting about.

I hope it ends up being a good game, but I'd much rather play with more PC gamers when it comes to this title, the PS3 and Xbox will be a playground.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Why most innovative? As Defiance is the only mmo to be cross-platform. available on PC,Xbox360 and PS3's.

Just to point out that this is incorrect. FFXI was already cross-platform across all three consoles and FFXIV will also be cross-platform (though excluding the 360 because MS wouldn't allow cross-platform servers). This would also mean the 360 players of Defiance will not be on the same servers as the other platforms because MS simply won't allow it...

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by steamtank
    as a PC gamer i have no real hope of a cross platform game being exciting. So far any game I have played that from concept was meant to go cross platform has felt childish on a PC.

The only thing that concerns me is all the kids and obnoxious teens that will be playing it since it will be on PS3 and Xbox. No way I could play it and have to listen to kids chatting about.

I hope it ends up being a good game, but I'd much rather play with more PC gamers when it comes to this title, the PS3 and Xbox will be a playground.

Yeah, because PC gamers are any less obnoxious.

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Naudica777
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Just wonder how the EU ppl will be able to watch the Syfy part. Any news on that?

I didn't know that people in EU didn't have Syfy lol that could be a problem. I guess they could stream the episodes on there website for people who dont have syfy. Though very interesting about the syfy in EU part because I am planning to move there haha.

This is assuming we can't do anything illegal right? I'm in New Zealand and I plan on pirating it if I cannot get it here.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Yes, you heard it! I am picking Defiance as the most likely candidate for both MMORPG of the year and most innovative. Why most innovative? As Defiance is the only mmo to be cross-platform. available on PC,Xbox360 and PS3's. It is also the only game I know of where our actions in the game effect the new series Defiance on Syfy.

I loved Rift, if Defiance is anywhere near the gameplay and content Rift provides it will be incredible!

My best wishes to those playing Defiance now and Trion Worlds. Such a innovative title!

guess it will be good, but this whole "game influences series" thing is nothing but marketing hype hot air, just like "dynamic events" were some months ago

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by ezpz77

Yeah, because PC gamers are any less obnoxious.

I'm not saying they're less obnoxious, but with this particular title the kiddies and teens will flock to it with the PS3 and Xbox, I'd only play it if I could play with PC only people, just because there'd be less chance to have to play with kids/teens since most of them will be on their PS3 and Xbox.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Alberel

Why most innovative? As Defiance is the only mmo to be cross-platform. available on PC,Xbox360 and PS3's.

Just to point out that this is incorrect. FFXI was already cross-platform across all three consoles and FFXIV will also be cross-platform (though excluding the 360 because MS wouldn't allow cross-platform servers). This would also mean the 360 players of Defiance will not be on the same servers as the other platforms because MS simply won't allow it...

Actually FFXI was only on PC and Sony Playstation 2(2002) up to 2006. Then it was converted to the Xbox in that year. By then the game was already into its deep slide(in the U.S).  While it is the first game to be fully crossplatform. It is not the first mmorpg to crossplatform from day 1. Also, Defiance play will influence the Syfy television series. Which means that Defiance is intregated into all the major media/entertainment vices. Also to note, I mentioned crossplatform on PS3,PC and Xbox 360. Which are the current console systems available. And Defiance is the first mmorpg to crossplatform on all three of those types of systems.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Guys, the game is under NDA. Nothing can be posted about your beta experiences until that's lifted. Saying "not to break NDA, but..." is still breaking the NDA.

You can discuss whatever's been officially released by Trion/SyFy.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Alberel

Actually FFXI was only on PC and Sony Playstation 2(2002) up to 2006. Then it was converted to the Xbox in that year. By then the game was already into its deep slide(in the U.S).  While it is the first game to be fully crossplatform. It is not the first mmorpg to crossplatform from day 1. Also, Defiance play will influence the Syfy television series. Which means that Defiance is intregated into all the major media/entertainment vices. Also to note, I mentioned crossplatform on PS3,PC and Xbox 360. Which are the current console systems available. And Defiance is the first mmorpg to crossplatform on all three of those types of systems.

You never said anyrthing about day 1 in your original post so my point still stands. And FYI FFXI can be played on the PS3 and 360 as well so that point still stands too... so yeah, you're wrong. /shrug With FFXIV just round the corner for PS3 as well I struggle to see how Defiance is going be at all unique on the cross-platform MMO scene. The 360 version can be totally ignored as the servers will be isolated from the others so it's not really 'cross-platform' in the MMO sense.

The whole 'influences the TV series' is just hot air though... it simply wouldn't be feasible for them to do it. Do you have any idea how much money they would have to waste on filming stuff they wouldn't use if that was remotely true? 

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I agree I think defiance might top the best mmo of 2013 on release.

However there are serious questions I have about the game, and given the fact the game is still under NDA I doubt anyone can answer them here so I have to wait to find out more about it but here are my concerns.

1. Is the game going to be.

Pay 2 Play.

Buy 2 Play

Free 2 Play with cash shop.

2. If it goes in a style similar to GuildWars 2 will the game become a big failure like Tera, and FunCom TSW with lack of customization and such.

3. Hackers, IF there is PVP in the game is there any plan to add Anti Hacking to the game, or will this game become just like Fallen Earth with the hackers, and exploiters in PVP when the game comes out.

I think this will still be the best game of 2013 but it really concerns me, and being that there isn't a lot of info about the game I am debating on if I should PreOrder on game stop. Also I am curious to what the collectors edition actually gets me for $100 gametstop doesn't say.

I would overall hate to see this game take the same route that Tera, or TSW, or Fallen Earth  with their over priced respecs and costs to customize a character.

Here are the editions of the game I can buy, what I get for that price I don't know.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-defiance

http://defiance.com/en/series/ Here is their actual site I see advertised over TV a lot, which to me makes the game look good, I just hope its not a faiilure.

http://defiance.com/en/game/?CAS_REDIR=true Here is the game site.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Just wonder how the EU ppl will be able to watch the Syfy part. Any news on that?

I didn't know that people in EU didn't have Syfy lol that could be a problem. I guess they could stream the episodes on there website for people who dont have syfy. Though very interesting about the syfy in EU part because I am planning to move there haha.

Yes we have Syfy in Europe, most EU country's have their own syfy channel spoken in their own language

But While the concept of Defiance is great mixing a MMO together with a live action tv series, I have yet to see how much impact both actually will have on eachother. It's actually the only innovative thing I know/read/seen from Defiance .......

Let me just say let's not get to over hyped and lets actually see when both are out how well the concept works.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I hvae syfy, but still it wont be on here the same day and that is what you want. Although I do not think you need to watch the series to understand the plot. I do think it might make the game and series more interesting though if you do both and in sync.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Renoaku

I agree I think defiance might top the best mmo of 2013 on release.

However there are serious questions I have about the game, and given the fact the game is still under NDA I doubt anyone can answer them here so I have to wait to find out more about it but here are my concerns.

1. Is the game going to be.

Pay 2 Play.

Buy 2 Play

Free 2 Play with cash shop.

The game, from all the news I gather, will be Buy to Play, with optional subscription, if you don't pay subscription you have ot buy the DLCs, there is cash shop (as to contents, no idea at this point, expect vanity stuff and boosts)

2. If it goes in a style similar to GuildWars 2 will the game become a big failure like Tera, and FunCom TSW with lack of customization and such.

No way to tell at this point.

3. Hackers, IF there is PVP in the game is there any plan to add Anti Hacking to the game, or will this game become just like Fallen Earth with the hackers, and exploiters in PVP when the game comes out.

Again, no way to tell at this point. Beta is beta which means a lot of security stuff is not implemented and code may not be fully optimized. 

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Yes, you heard it! I am picking Defiance as the most likely candidate for both MMORPG of the year and most innovative. Why most innovative? As Defiance is the only mmo to be cross-platform. available on PC,Xbox360 and PS3's. It is also the only game I know of where our actions in the game effect the new series Defiance on Syfy.

I loved Rift, if Defiance is anywhere near the gameplay and content Rift provides it will be incredible!

My best wishes to those playing Defiance now and Trion Worlds. Such a innovative title!

What a well written advertisement!

Personally, I will wait to actually play finished versions of games before I go picking a best game of the year...because, afterall...people said the same thing about SWTOR when the hype machine was in full swing.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Trion is in a tough spot here.

They need Defiance to be a huge hit.  Defiance is *extremely* unlikely to be a big hit.

The MMOFPS market just isnt that large on PC.  PS2 isnt exactly making huge waves.   Granted Trion is the best company in the genre at advertising (outside of Blzzard) and SoE is one of the worst,but  dont see the market.  Will the console gamers go for it?  remains to be seen.

SyFy isnt known for quality original programming so the show will be for fans of the game, not the other way around

Defiance will likely do "OK", which wont be good enough.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Looks cheeseball to me.  The engine and the footage I've see so far look like a shooter via 1998.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Ambros123

I call that players actions influence the show as total BS.  Storyboard writers spend months and months prepping a story and an entire season is lined out, or at least a vast majority is. 

Perhaps players actions might see some minor influence in the show but I highly doubt that it will have much incluence in the show.  And it will certainly not be to the degree that many here will proclaim it to be.  This is definately a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of promise.

I see it more like the show effecting the gameplay storyline. Not the other way around. The show is already written.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70

They couldnt even pay me to play this cheeseball of a game omg!

Was looking forward to it thinking it might be like Tabula Rasa or something but meh

Thought Trion could do better after seeing Rift but this was horrible after a few hrs it was uninstalled and crossed off my sights. 

OP must be delusional if you think its mmo of 2013 LOL!

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off