Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soo I want to buy UO...

cybrinsanitycybrinsanity Member Posts: 106
Whats the best way to make sure i get all the content?? is there a gold edition or what? Also What US server has the most population etc? And anyone willing to help out a noob we should chat :)

Comments

• tuneinwilltuneinwill Member UncommonPosts: 12

First of all, just download the 14 day trial and play that for 2 weeks.  Then if you decide to subscribe, you are only missing the Stygian Abyss expansion and the High Seas Booster, though you don't need to get them right away unless you want to play as a Gargoyle or have ship to ship battles.

Atlantic is the most populated, but I play on Great Lakes.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Alternatively you could try the old school private server as discussed by Garret in his recent article.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Alternatively you could try the old school private server as discussed by Garret in his recent article.

I think that might be against the rules, as private servers are illegal.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/12/feature/7052/Lessons-Learned-from-a-Free-Shard.html

I was just pointing him to this article published by this site, I do not know the legal status of the "free shard" in this review/article, I leave that to MMORPG.com to analyse.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Nothing illegal about private servers for any MMO, since there is no real criminal action available for the publishers to take on the private guys.  It's just against ToS, which is irrelevant in this case.  The one exception would be if the private host was somehow making money on the free servers, at which point *they* could be held liable for some infringement, but the players are still not part of the picture.

You make me like charity

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

It is... even though they did that article on it, it is still against the rules. 

Besides the official servers are the way to go in any case. Do the free trial as others have suggested, you can subscribe from there with all the expansions with the exception of stygian abyss and the high seas booster like another said. 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Definitly try before buy.

To me, it's just so dated.

As much fun as I had playing it back in the day, I don't think I'll ever go back.

• cybrinsanitycybrinsanity Member Posts: 106
    thanks for all the responses!1 I'll try it for 2 weeks then kick some ass lol!
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Definitely trial. You will see the graphics and likely run for the hills.
  • csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Originally posted by jpnole

If you can see past the graphics, it has everything other games cant offer.

• Originally posted by csthao

Agree 100%

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by EccentricPenguin
    Originally posted by csthao

Agree 100%

The new Enhanced Beta Client pretties things up a bit.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    I would play again, but I know my huge house is gone with all my valuables.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Originally posted by outfctrl
    I would play again, but I know my huge house is gone with all my valuables.

If I know I'm going to unsubscribe, I usually throw everything i can into the bank on all my characters

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    UO's biggest problem is a scattered playerbase (and of course the shitty direction the game took from AoS onwards). Only a limited F2P model could fix that, because they cannot merge servers.
  • obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Yes, UO really hurts with a shrinking playerbase.

Check out the trial. If you can live with the dated graphis of the classic client but dislike the itembased system check out  freeshards that use the pre age of shit  (AOS) rules.