Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's idea was it to have tutorials for mmorpgs?!?

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Please get rid of tutorials.

I think they do more harm than good for first impressions. After trying a new beta still under NDA, I just had to stop and say "man this sucks." Now I wasn't talking about the game it's self, because that felt good, real good, but the tutorial made me exit game.

Give me a clear concise help center/guide/maual then let me figure it out. Stop this bad tutorial nonsense.

/endrant

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Because anything even half as complex as an mmo needs one.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I'm not a fan of "info dump" style tutorials which lead you through every aspect of the game over 1-2 hours. I prefer tutorials to pop up as you encounter new things.

"Hey you finally made it to a city, crafting stations are here and here, if you go to one you can learn more about crafting" And then it shouldn't show up until you go to a crafting area and say "Show me".

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    MMOs in general need to please as many people as possible from a business perspective. The lowest common denominator needs to be taken into account, I'm afraid.
  • aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

Alright alright, we hate the tutorials in our MMO's. Especially since the tutorials are extremely similar throughout the genre.

But cmon, let's be a little considerate about the ones who have never picked up an MMO before.

• n00bizn00biz Member Posts: 5

Try Planetside 2, and tell me you can figure out what to do in the first 2 hours of gameplay. No Tutorial and you WILL be lost. Tutorials are fine, but should have the option to skip them if you want.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Make them skippable and I'm happy.  Solves both sides of the problem.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Because some people out there refuse to use their brains and figure sh*t out on their own. THey want everything drawed out in crayon kind of like what our mmorpgs have become. mspaintRPG
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

Because not every player logging into an MMO has been playing for a decade.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177
    For every person that actually uses their brain to figure out something in an MMORPG, I can show you 200 that will spam global chat asking a question that would have been answered if they had gone through the tutorial.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Icewhite

What these here dudes dun said ---^

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Icewhite

For me, part of the fun of playing a game is figuring things out.  With most MMOs, it's really not that hard.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,374
    They are my fault, you can blame me for their inclusion in MMOs. ;)

On a more serious note, I too enjoy more of a popup style of tutorial as opposed to a 2hr scripted session.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,374
    Double post

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Tutorials are fine.  The problem is when they are poorly designed.

You make me like charity

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Didn't Ultima Online have a tutorial as well?
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

EvE has a great tutorial

CoX had a decent one. Short, provided rewards, and was skippable if you REALLLLLLLY wanted to be in the main zones

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Sorry I'm the explorer-type so forgive me if this comes out sounding a bit prickish but:

"If you coming aboard a mmo expecting  to be shown how to play instead of yearning to learn how to play you're right where devs and their current creations want you."

Now with that being said, I understand the need to show new players the basics but for every "job" that devs design a system to take over that a mmo's community has traditionally handled very well, it chips away at the very foundation needed in order to build a strong one.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by birdycephon

Nope they went the way of tree killing

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by birdycephon

UO didn't have a tutorial until years after release. Like EVE, it's a game that desperately needs one because of everything there is to do in it, but I can only image the developers says "Well, ... where the **** do we start?!?!"

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by steamtank

EvE has a great tutorial

Eve didn't used to really have much of a tutorial. Everyone complained about how hard it was and it needed a better one.

Now people are complaining because games do have tutorials. Trust me, EVE needs a tutorial. There is so much to do, it is not intuitive. 

If all you have to do is swing a sword more forward or back maybe pick up loot, I don't care if there is a tutorial or not. but seriously when an MMO is complex, because it allow players to do hundreds of different things in the game. You need some sort of tutorial.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Most if not all games have a way to turn tutorials off. The real meaning behind this post, is wanting more players who don’t understand the game or interface so that “Tutorial Haters” can exploit them. What the OP and his brethren truly hate is a lack of nubes they can take advantage of.

If you can’t turn off tutorials please make note of this in a bug report so that we can make a tutorial explaining how to do this for you. Really there is no sarcasm in that.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Konfess
    Really there is no sarcasm in that.

Double sarcasm :)

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    EQ1 had an offline tutorial from day one. It was entirely optional, and honestly more of a theme park type "quest" than anything else in that game.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    I prefer a tutorial over manuals. Just do not force me to do it over and over again.
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by bcbully

Please get rid of tutorials.

I think they do more harm than good for first impressions. After trying a new beta still under NDA, I just had to stop and say "man this sucks." Now I wasn't talking about the game it's self, because that felt good, real good, but the tutorial made me exit game.

Give me a clear concise help center/guide/maual then let me figure it out. Stop this bad tutorial nonsense.

/endrant

So OP you were playing Defiance beta?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence