Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Dragon Age: Origins Worth The Buy

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
I throughly enjoyed Jade Empire which was made by Bioware too and am wondering if Dragon Age: Origins is worth the buy. Pros and cons of the game would be appreciated.

Smile

Comments

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I found the game a lot of fun and well done. I got the ultimate edition on steam at xmas on sale for around 5 bucks. This version came with the expansion and all DLC. Cheers :)
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

It's worth the buy.

Read the reviews around web to find pros and cons.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    I found the game a lot of fun and well done. I got the ultimate edition on steam at xmas on sale for around 5 bucks. This version came with the expansion and all DLC. Cheers :)

Lucky! It costs $30 now... Still want to buy though.

Smile

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394
    I really enjoyed Origins! One of the best things about it was the storyline.  If you enjoy really delving into a games story, this one was superb.  Combat was odd to me at first, but when you get the idea of it....it really adds some good features to the battles.  Bosses and graphics were great as well.....there are quite a few mods out there to enrich the game if your into that.
  • PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    If your not in a rush to buy just wait im sure steam will put it on sale again.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I throughly enjoyed Jade Empire which was made by Bioware too and am wondering if Dragon Age: Origins is worth the buy. Pros and cons of the game would be appreciated.

As others have sade Dragon Age: Origins is definitely worth the buy. 

I will add a personal note though, if you like Origins then do not buy Dragon Age 2 lol... 

Originally posted by stringboi
    I really enjoyed Origins! One of the best things about it was the storyline.  If you enjoy really delving into a games story, this one was superb.  Combat was odd to me at first, but when you get the idea of it....it really adds some good features to the battles.  Bosses and graphics were great as well.....there are quite a few mods out there to enrich the game if your into that.

Well, I just bought it. I'm hoping the combat isn't too "odd." I can't stand overly complicated combat.

Smile

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

origins is among the best games bioware ever made.

so: yes,

it's totaly worth it's money, no matter how much you pay :>

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Well, I just bought it. I'm hoping the combat isn't too "odd." I can't stand overly complicated combat.

Combat is what I would call real time turn based. You can pause the combat and give instructions and or setup scripts for each party member that they will follow. It sounds harder then it is for the scripts are in game and you select what you want to use.

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

Meh. I disliked it. It's just your generic Bioware "the chosen one against an ancient evil that wants to destroy the world" sucky  storyline. And I found the combat to be clunky and kind of awkward.

But that's just me. I'm a bit overly critical. A lot of people actually happened to like the game... but I don't think it's worth more than $10.

Its not complicated, just different....you can set the party members up to be "smart" and build them to respond accordingly, or you can manually control each party member which can be a bit more complicated.  Things can get hectic controlling....I think its 4 characters at a time....but very fun!

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Definitely worth a buy - played through it many times w/ different classes and it's still a hoot. The combat plays a lot like an updated version of Baldur's Gate.

Its not complicated, just different....you can set the party members up to be "smart" and build them to respond accordingly, or you can manually control each party member which can be a bit more complicated.  Things can get hectic controlling....I think its 4 characters at a time....but very fun!

That actually sounds kind of fun. How do you make them "smart" though? Is it in the options or how you build them?

Smile

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

Yes please get it as you most certainly won't regret it if you're a fan of RPGs!  The game is bloody brilliant with nothing out there quite like it.  The dark and involving story, the deep and cerebral combat, along with a heap of original style is what makes this the gem that it is.  Pay no attention to the bad rap that the sequel achieved.....it was a different game completely...have no idea what happened with that one.    

P.S. Play it on nightmare mode as you will get unique rewards and a much more challenging/rewarding experience

That actually sounds kind of fun. How do you make them "smart" though? Is it in the options or how you build them?

You build, say a mage to be either a healer....dps or whatever you like, then queue their skills to act according to a certain situation.  Heal (this person) if (health is below 10%),  or  Fear (mobs) if (more than 3 mobs).....stuff like that.  Or you can just switch manually between characters and hit the next skill which can get complicated....with all the continuous switching skill after skill

You build, say a mage to be either a healer....dps or whatever you like, then queue their skills to act according to a certain situation.  Heal (this person) if (health is below 10%),  or  Fear (mobs) if (more than 3 mobs).....stuff like that.  Or you can just switch manually between characters and hit the next skill which can get complicated....with all the continuous switching skill after skill

Hmm... Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out. Like I said before, I'm not great with complicated battle mechanics.

Smile

Also, I'd like to know, does the storyline give you choices? Like if I want to be an asshole or a villian can I be one? Or does it force you to be the hero and save the day in every mission?

Smile

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    One of my favorite games. In fact this was first BioWare game I played and I fell in love with it.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    You can be either the stalwart selfless hero, a dastardly rotten villian, or someone who looks after only their own means.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    And of course you can romance with companions /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I was kind of into it at release, but looking back I don't think it's that great now. Or at least I think there are better options like the Drakensang series which has a bit more depth in their gameplay/mechanics.

Also I just can't support giving money to EA at this point. image

If you are going to play a dragon age game though, origins would be the one to go for, as the second one was apparently really bad.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Definitely worth the buy, it's much better than the abomination that was dragon age 2.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    playing it atm and believe me its worth the buy if you are into a good story with plenty of replayability..but dragon age 2 is a rip off..nothing like the 1st..although dragona age 2 is an alright game it lacks the story that the 1 st had..go buy it m8..its fantastic.not too mention the races are missing in the 2nd one..fuckin tight arses EA
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    oops double post.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If you've played Neverwinter Nights(another awesome game)

Then chances are you will like Origins,they are similar,though Origins has modern graphics/technology..

Origins was Biowares last gem...imo