Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$200

skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252

Did anyone seriously pay this? And if you did, did you even play the game first?

Comments

• I hope not many have, but there's always suckers out there. I especially love how the $200 kit says "estimated value: over $750" when most games offer more content for $60. It should be changed to "estimated value: less than $60."
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

TBH I think it would defeat one of the main aspects of the game, to basically Unlock costumes/characters by buying them all at the beginning in one go. The permanent +5% XP & +5% item find chance might be a bigger draw for someone willing to pay the $200 for this pack. 

Personally I just spent $19.99 on a basic Hero Starter, which nets me a nice forum name, a bit of store cash, 2 days early access to the game before launch & ofcourse Captain America!

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Axxar
    I hope not many have, but there's always suckers out there. I especially love how the $200 kit says "estimated value: over $750" when most games offer more content for $60. It should be changed to "estimated value: less than $60."

Funny thing is even something as cosmetic as clothes can have a estimated value inflated to ridiculous prices in the real world. Why on earth would you do it in a game is beyond my pay grade it seems. Heroes included or not, it shows you just how "high" they are willing to inflate the prices in their cash shop. Sad really...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

call the cops, someone is working and not spending his money and drugs and booze!

this can't be legal!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    I hope not many have, but there's always suckers out there. I especially love how the $200 kit says "estimated value: over $750" when most games offer more content for $60. It should be changed to "estimated value: less than $60."

Funny thing is even something as cosmetic as clothes can have a estimated value inflated to ridiculous prices in the real world. Why on earth would you do it in a game is beyond my pay grade it seems. Heroes included or not, it shows you just how "high" they are willing to inflate the prices in their cash shop. Sad really...

My guess is that for the first month or so things will be very expensive and then they will start having 30% - 50% off sales.  That way the "regular" price is where they get the initial value from even though they never expect most people will pay those prices. . but some will. . in the first month or so.  Win Win for them.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Thane

call the cops, someone is working and not spending his money and drugs and booze!

this can't be legal!

Nah, thats not whats being said. I mean sure we could all spend $200 on this $60 game, but for that same $200 I could buy Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and a few other ARPG's (Since thats all this is) not only for me but for my wife as well. So... 

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

Seeing price models this way... it just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. You know.. that 'I forgot to brush last night' taste.

Since that taste is so sour I refuse to spend even what I feel the game would be worth.

I would happily pay a normal game price for 2 starter characters of my choice and access to all content. As it is I won't spend a dime on this game. 

Companies need to make money, they do not need to design their games around BS nickle and dime strategies where the end goal is to milk more money than the traditional model. They will never sacrifice their cash shop systems ability to function to make a BETTER game. Traditional priced games want to keep you around until the expansion (or for your $12-16 a month) So they can focus on making a game that functions great so you want to stay.

I wish people would stop feeding into these horrid hybrid price structure games.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

So umm... why do you even care?

If people wanna drop $200 on this game, by all means, let them. It only helps the developer put out more content.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

My guess is that for the first month or so things will be very expensive and then they will start having 30% - 50% off sales.  That way the "regular" price is where they get the initial value from even though they never expect most people will pay those prices. . but some will. . in the first month or so.  Win Win for them.

Yeah, I'm sure that will be the model that they follow. I mean it is the same model used in retail stores. I was just hoping that they would follow a comic book store style, you know, list a bunch of comic book titles with prices ranging from $2 to $4 and you could browse through a library of comic books. If you happen to see a issue with a costume you like you could buy it, get the digital comic, get the costume and read a comic. But suits these days are only worried about the almighty dollar and instead of treating this project like a comic geek dream they give it the regular old video game DLC treatment. Oh well.

Honestly though, I'll definitely spend at least $60 seeing as that's the going price for a new game anyway.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

And why does it matter to you? if people have money to spend why are they suckers for it? people spend insane amount of money on things in general and it is not something limited to just video games. And 200 bucks is nothing compared to that.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Just not a fan of greedy corporations taking advantage of naive gamers. 200 bucks is way too much when for example the Diablo 3 CE is only 100 bucks and quite literally dwarfs the Marvel Ultimate pack in terms of content.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

http://mygaming.co.za/news/features/43864-most-expensive-collectors-editions-ever.html

and you thought 200$ was expensive :)

there will ALWAYS be versions of stuff that cost more than you can afford. that's life.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

HAHAAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAh AHHAHAHAh AHAHAHAHAH AHAHHAHAAH

AHAHAHahaha haha hahaha hah ha ha ha

haaaaa....

/wipes tear

I give them props for having to audacity to sell this.  Cant wait to see how it all turns out.

/gets popcorn

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162

Companies are so unsure or maybe they know exactly what they are doing with their pricing model, but how many lifetime subscribers and 200 dollar starter kits will it take before people stop biteing the hook. I know for me I have stopped giving any of the current games any more of my money.

Looks like Macy's has the best MMo out there, I seem to get daily discount deals from their store and guess what I get something in the mail to boot:)

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Thane

http://mygaming.co.za/news/features/43864-most-expensive-collectors-editions-ever.html

and you thought 200$ was expensive :)

there will ALWAYS be versions of stuff that cost more than you can afford. that's life.

If it were simply a matter of affording it the issue you may have a point but you gave prime examples of why this is so overpriced. Let me explain what your link shows...

With Dirt 3 for $300 you got the full game and a remote control car that sales for about $280-$800. The remote control car that came with the limited edition can reach speeds up to 50mph and the construction is rather nice. Even on Amazon that car sales for $312.99 with the sale price.

What does the Marvel Heroes $200 get you? Why nothing more than full access to a $60 game.

With your link some of them are out there in price but most of them offer physical items some of which are even signed that will increase in value if held on to. People pay dearly for those kinds of collectibles so for the most part it's worth it to the right collector or investor.

Krater was the only one on the list that was completely insane to me, but maybe to a fan it wouldn't be. Who knows.  

All in all what that link demonstrated was even the most outrageously priced games tried to increase the value of what you were getting while Marvel Heroes doesn't. 

Dirt 3 with a 280+ R/C Car that can go up to 50mph for $300 - not a bad deal

Marvel Heroes to access the full game and nothing more for $200 - A Joke lol. 

Again its not about what one can afford, it's about having common sense and understanding the value of things. We aren't getting any collector items that may gain value later on, we aren't getting anything extra. For that $200 you are simply getting access to what other games give you access to for $60 or less. 

Nice link though, it really highlights how asinine this Marvel Heroes business model is lol. 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Krater was the only one on the list that was completely insane to me, but maybe to a fan it wouldn't be. Who knows.  

Makes sense to me. It's designed to be for only the biggest fans. I mean, for the lead game designer to come over to your house and cook you a meal and watch you play the game for a couple hours, you just cant afford to do that if a million or even a thousand people buy it, that would be insane. So they make the price way out there to only appeal to the biggest and/or richest of fans.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I see it as one of the complications with F2P.  It's sort of hard to sell a lifetime subscription when there isn't subs.  Instead they bundle content unlocks, boosters, and misc for about the same price.

I guess one mans cash grab is another mans bargain.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Thats laughable, I feel sorry for whoevers significant other who buys this.
  • ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    This is exactly like the League of Legends model yet they are letting you pay up front for a load of heroes. What's so wrong about that? Oh right, self entitlement mentality.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Sciva
    This is exactly like the League of Legends model yet they are letting you pay up front for a load of heroes. What's so wrong about that? Oh right, self entitlement mentality.

Paying 200 bucks for something that would have gone for 60 a couple of years ago is not a wise decision. As I said in another one of these threads: you don't reward a dog for pissing all over your house.

Encouraging this kind of cash grab only makes things worse (more expensive) for the future of gaming. A mere pinch of logic and foresight is all that is needed to comprehend this simple fact.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

Paying 200 bucks for something that would have gone for 60 a couple of years ago is not a wise decision. As I said in another one of these threads: you don't reward a dog for pissing all over your house.

Encouraging this kind of cash grab only makes things worse (more expensive) for the future of gaming. A mere pinch of logic and foresight is all that is needed to comprehend this simple fact.

Okay, no.

Lets assume characters are $10, skins are $5, just judging from the starter packs. I think that sounds fair.

From the ultimate pack, you get 22 characters, plus 2 unreleased characters, that adds up to $240 right there. And it doesn't include all of the skins that come with it, some of which are enhanced skins which would probably go for around $10. Plus, you get permanent boosts to experience and magic find. I think this is a steal.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    ....why not, some paid over 150.00 for SWTOR and got  a single player story mmo, and a figure made of plastic!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 415
    200 is a bit high..i think 60 is the sweet spot but what alot of you arent realizing is everything for the most part can be found and earned in game.skins drop...heroes drop as loot.and you can you in game money to buy heroes..it just takes alot longer....they arent roping all this off so you have no way to earn it unless you break open your wallet.its just a matter of time convenance.get over it.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Yup. This is only a slightly different flavor of buying a pre-release "Lifetime Subscription" because they are giving you most of the things you'd work towards in game by playing. All in all, just as dumb as buying an LTS... especially pre-release. When will people learn....