Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resubbed to Age of Conan and ..

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by LuckyDucky
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    The still require you to hit combo keys to execute a skill/combo?  That always irked my like no tomm.  Was playing a DT and was always a pain to maintain situation awareness and hit thise combo keys.  Hated that mechanic.

I dunno what the combo set up was at launch, but now you first select a combo attack then hit one,  two, or at the most 3 buttons [ Q,W,E ] to execute the attack. Only the most advanced combos take more than 1 or 2 buttons to pull off. It really isn't a complex system, just interactive enough to keep the combat interesting. The other part about the combat I like is the directional control you have over the attack. You can strike the enemy over head, on his right side, or on his left side.  There are defensive shields that move around the enemy, so you have to attack when his shield is down for max damage. I think it is a fun system.

+ it works on both end, you can also direct your shield if you know the mob's attacks, and minimize the incoming damage (of course only with a good mouse with many buttons, or if you have 8 fingers :) )

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    The still require you to hit combo keys to execute a skill/combo?  That always irked my like no tomm.  Was playing a DT and was always a pain to maintain situation awareness and hit thise combo keys.  Hated that mechanic.

I dunno what the combo set up was at launch, but now you first select a combo attack then hit one,  two, or at the most 3 buttons [ Q,W,E ] to execute the attack. Only the most advanced combos take more than 1 or 2 buttons to pull off. It really isn't a complex system, just interactive enough to keep the combat interesting. The other part about the combat I like is the directional control you have over the attack. You can strike the enemy over head, on his right side, or on his left side.  There are defensive shields that move around the enemy, so you have to attack when his shield is down for max damage. I think it is a fun system.

The combos went up to 5-6 hits at launch to activate them.

The defensive shield thing is a tad clunky. Generally you just leave it as balanced and change it around for boss fights with known attack directions, or in PvP switching it to defend the harder hitting combos.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Originally posted by Po_gg

+ it works on both end, you can also direct your shield if you know the mob's attacks, and minimize the incoming damage (of course only with a good mouse with many buttons, or if you have 8 fingers :) )

Yea I've seen those shields appear on my character when I hit the proper mouse button, but I never understood how to use them.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Yea I've seen those shields appear on my character when I hit the proper mouse button, but I never understood how to use them.

If I remember correctly the default keys are ctrl+1 - ctrl+4 (which is not very handy during combat...), with the 4 settings of: all shields left / top / right, and the default balanced setting with 1 shield in every direction.  Additionally, the mobs can use 2-1-0 shield setting as well which leaves only one side unguarded.

I think that extra setting of mobs would be unnecessary for players anyways, nobody is fiddling these shields except when a huge boss hit is incoming and you know the direction, then you direct all shields there and right after the hit set them back to balanced. (it can even half down the incoming damage in some cases - or if you screw up the direction and the hit comes from an open side... well, that's not nice :) )

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by zomard100
    I think i give it a try again. Playing LOTRO now but i do miss some pvp. When my wow sub ends in few days i think i level to max my barbarian. Is  he any good in end pvp?

Same,  I think I'll give it a go.

I self identify as a monkey.

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Yup I remember at launch was buggy but now much smoother and I took the graphics for granted back then... the graphics are gorgeous..also took the combat for granted its a great underated system after playing same spam hot keys resubbed 
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I highly recommend using SweetFX to get rid of the blurry look in DX10. The difference is quite significant.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_tags/sweetfx.html

(just unpack contents to install directory)

Playing on EU Rage with Blood and Glory ruleset. Almost no people there, but I just love the concept of PvP with consequences, so I'll tough it out.

Sure, the game had many and still has some issues - but it's got the best combat out there, amazing visuals and the best game music of all time. Lots of great story content - and the upcoming crafting revamp sounds amazing. It's also got 12 very different classes and loads of advancement options, which makes it quite deep in terms of character development.

What it really needs is a single-server merge (they're working on the tech) - and a good hard look at PvP. The game has fantastic potential as THE PvP game - because they have all the assets and gameplay systems in place. They just need some overarching rules that make sense. If they added a sophisticated housing system on top - I'd be set until ArcheAge arrives in EU.

Glad I came back and checked it out again.

• WonderweissMWonderweissM Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I am going to try this because of this thread. Don't let me down guys.
  • LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Originally posted by WonderweissM
    I am going to try this because of this thread. Don't let me down guys.

Wait a minute now, we haven't misrepresented this game, lol! Some peeps like it and some don't. If you are looking for a sandbox experience AoC will disappoint. Except for PvP the game is a themepark, quest driven, story driven MMO. However it is very well done. Graphics, music, level design are excellent. There is a ton of content,  more than you could possibly see in one play through. The game will be 5 years old this year and all of the game breaking bugs have been addressed. As far as technical issues  like crashing, lag etc. the game is very solid. The population seems to be growing. Months ago leveling through the content I would see another player now and then. Now I am playing a lvl 40 barbarian on Set and see other players all the time. I think PC's are just now getting to the point where the majority of gamers can afford to run this game at max settings. It is a demanding game on hardware. Shadows, lighting, particle effects, and all the other bells and whistles will put a load on  mid range or lower end video cards.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Went premium recently!

damn,  this game is extreme underrated. This is a lot of fun and totally unique. Also the only kind of medieval MMO I can swallow, not high fantasy

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Anyone playing oceanic and want a raiding guild on the pve server try 'sons of gallipoli', good crew very supportive getting new people into end game content etc.
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Originally posted by FromHell

Went premium recently!

damn,  this game is extreme underrated. This is a lot of fun and totally unique. Also the only kind of medieval MMO I can swallow, not high fantasy

No one likes you, you are like aids but worse. Just look at your avatar.

You're right, ArenaNet didn't fail - they succeeded! They HYPEnotised millions of gamers into playing the most shallow fastfood MMO in history - while calling it progress in the genre.

That's pretty amazing!

Originally posted by InFlamestwo [reported]

Reported for trolling and flaming, mate

The Return of ELITE !

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I wasn't trolling, i was serious.

I regret to inform you of this, but if that's your version of being serious - then you need to work at it a bit.

Because you seem like more of a bad joke at the moment.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Pretty poor taste there, buddy.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Unfortunatly, MMO's represent a significant time investment!  Most humans consider the credability and reputation of the organisation to whom they are considering commiting this investment.   Funcom, being a dev studio of very little credability is a very risky investment.

All mmo's, with the exception of a few have this downward spiral that they can never recover from and I dont think the future of AOC is ever going to liven up.

AOC's appeal was its combat system, it does require some skill and thinking that makes it fun but the live action combat system of Tera and the forth coming Neverwinter is far more refined, smoother and overall more enjoyable.

So for me, with its second rate combat system and poor credability I dont find it very likley to ever be the popular and socially busy envoiroment that MMO's need.

Originally posted by sadeyx

Unfortunatly, MMO's represent a significant time investment!  Most humans consider the credability and reputation of the organisation to whom they are considering commiting this investment.   Funcom, being a dev studio of very little credability is a very risky investment.

All mmo's, with the exception of a few have this downward spiral that they can never recover from and I dont think the future of AOC is ever going to liven up.

AOC's appeal was its combat system, it does require some skill and thinking that makes it fun but the live action combat system of Tera and the forth coming Neverwinter is far more refined, smoother and overall more enjoyable.

So for me, with its second rate combat system and poor credability I dont find it very likley to ever be the popular and socially busy envoiroment that MMO's need.

I think you're right - AoC will most likely never be a really popular game.

But you're kinda selling it short, because combat is not the only thing the game has going for it. It does have 12 very diverse classes with a lot of advancement options.

It has absolutely beautiful visuals and a lot of content, especially with the last two areas released. The instances are fun and they do require teamwork at level.

Also, the upcoming crafting system sounds really good - because they're saying you will be able to craft gear on-par or even better than raid gear, and you'll get drops appropriate to what you're doing. It's said to have a lot of customization as well.

Beyond that, the actual story content in quests is beyond most text-based MMOs. In fact, I think the quests are probably the best written quests in a text-based MMO except LOTRO. That does mean a lot when leveling, I'd say.

Then there's the Blood and Glory PvP ruleset servers. Something that's completely unique in the world of themepark MMOs. Unfortunately, the population on these servers is really low - but at least Funcom tried to take PvP seriously. Some of us really love PvP with real consequences.

The game has many strong points - but I doubt it will ever have enough people playing for a true comeback. But it's not impossible - if enough people give it a shot.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Went premium recently!

I hate to break it to you, but Age of Conan is high fantasy. The definition of high fantasy is:

"High fantasy is defined as fantasy fiction set in an alternative, entirely fictional ("secondary") world, rather than the real, or "primary" world. The secondary world is usually internally consistent but its rules differ in some way(s) from those of the primary world."

Conan does not exist in our world. It is another world created by Robert E Howard. Sorcery exists in Conan's world. As it does in the game. Medieval games do not have sorcerors. If they have sorcerors, they are fantasy. If it is set in another world, it is high fantasy. Conan is high fantasy.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Considering that the last year's "innovative" MMO's proved to be huge failures (SWTOR, GW2 etc), it's funny to see how we are drawn to older games, which we did not appreciate at the time. I agree, AoC. LoTRO and a few others were kind of terrible at launch, but now, with some fixes here and there and a bit more content they've turned out to be way better than the hype-and-fail games of today. Very interesting and also very sad.

Originally posted by sadeyx

LOLWUT?  Yeah, nice opinion mate. I´d say Funcom has a lot more credibility under it´s belt than SWTOR Bioware, Arenafail and that company which did WarZ. My opinion.

And "significant time investment" worries, huh? Anarchy Online is running for over 11 years, AoC is soon reaching year 5 anniversary. So maybe YOU are not credible?

The Return of ELITE !

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

AoC has many strong points but also many weak points though its imho better than most mmo releases post WoW.
    Sadly its launch and the coporate decisions Funcom made alienated a big part of the playerbase and Funcom will never make a big mmo again.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

Originally posted by evilastro

Went premium recently!

I hate to break it to you, but Age of Conan is high fantasy. The definition of high fantasy is:

"High fantasy is defined as fantasy fiction set in an alternative, entirely fictional ("secondary") world, rather than the real, or "primary" world. The secondary world is usually internally consistent but its rules differ in some way(s) from those of the primary world."

Conan does not exist in our world. It is another world created by Robert E Howard. Sorcery exists in Conan's world. As it does in the game. Medieval games do not have sorcerors. If they have sorcerors, they are fantasy. If it is set in another world, it is high fantasy. Conan is high fantasy.

There is no official definition of high fantasy - so your post is nothing but an opinion. That said, I kinda agree that Hyboria/Conan is as much high fantasy as anything.

As for Age of Conan, I think it was pretty clear what the poster meant - and I suspect you do as well. He's clearly looking for something that doesn't have Elves and merry fairy tale stuff.

Originally posted by DKLond

Went premium recently!

There is no official definition of high fantasy - so your post is nothing but an opinion. That said, I kinda agree that Hyboria/Conan is as much high fantasy as anything.

As for Age of Conan, I think it was pretty clear what the poster meant - and I suspect you do as well. He's clearly looking for something that doesn't have Elves and merry fairy tale stuff.

It´s not "opinion", it´s "fact".

Age of Conan lore is low fantasy, stated in the game description and Wikipedia

Look at the "Setting" paragraph here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Conan:_Unchained

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LowFantasy

Literature

And YES; Low Fantasy is the only fantasy I´m able to swallow, besides Sci-Fi-Fantasy like Star Wars

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by DKLond

Went premium recently!

It´s not "opinion", it´s "fact".

Age of Conan lore is low fantasy, stated in the game description and Wikipedia

Look at the "Setting" paragraph here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Conan:_Unchained

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LowFantasy

Literature

And YES; Low Fantasy is the only fantasy I´m able to swallow, besides Sci-Fi-Fantasy like Star Wars

None of the above includes an official definition and there are no facts involved. People may call it low fantasy - but it's still an alternative world with no magical realism which conflicts with the wiki text.

"Low" and "High" relate to the amount of fantasy elements - and you can't convince me that Age of Conan is low on fantasy elements. In fact, I think the focus can easily be argued to be on fantasy elements.

Maybe the books are different - but the game can easily qualify as high fantasy.

If you want to pretend your opinion is fact - that's on you, but your position is weak.