Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHATS WRONG WITH GW2 DYNAMIC EVENTS

mcoolmcool Member UncommonPosts: 122

dynamic events in gw2 was supposed to be revolutionary ,but a couple months down the line and it  seems as if people are fed up with the game. 

I haven't had the privilege of playing the game, so i wanted to ask all you gamers. what happened. i thought the dynamic events meant that the maps were not static. things were constantly changing plus you have an influence over what happened in the game. isnt that what you guys wanted. 

its sad too see another game,so hyped fall below par.. i guess WOW will dominate untll they close their servers 

Comments

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

no such thin as far as I can tell.

Everything is on a timer, you attack and kill something, it returns again in a set period of time. So, no, there is no constant way to affect the game!

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Pretty sure this game is dominating the market, but hai 5 to you.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Gw2 is not WoW.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The events are far from dynamic. Dynamic events don't happen on a regular schedual that you can sit and wait for.

But, the game isn't failing. It's only natural that people move off to other games as they finish most of the content. It's what happens when people have choices in other games.

When GW2 launches an x pack people will come back and play it for a while and then go on to play other things. It's why people like the b2p system. You're not stuck there paying a sub waiting for new content. When you're bored you play something else till new things happen with the game.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by mcool

dynamic events in gw2 was supposed to be revolutionary ,but a couple months down the line and it  seems as if people are fed up with the game. 

I haven't had the privilege of playing the game, so i wanted to ask all you gamers. what happened. i thought the dynamic events meant that the maps were not static. things were constantly changing plus you have an influence over what happened in the game. isnt that what you guys wanted. 

its sad too see another game,so hyped fall below par.. i guess WOW will dominate untll they close their servers 

dynamic events were touted as evolutionary, not revolutionary. They are definately an improvement on the old systems. The point that remains to be proven is if it's feasible to continue to make dynamic events or if the developers need to take the cheap and easy way out of making a static quest line.

Dynamic events DO mean the map is not static, and things are constantly changing, and you have an influence over what happens in the game. However people manage to have completely different perceptions of what that actually means. 

• If an outpost is attacked and taken over by mobs then you can't go and sell your stuff to the merchant that is lying dead on the ground.  If you clear out the mobs and rez everybody back up, then yes, the outpost is just like it was before.
    • If you choose to help defend the outpost when the attack starts, then you might actually keep the outpost to it's current state, but if you leave it alone then it will fall. So yes, a players actions have an effect on the world.
    What people complain about is that if an outpost is destroyed, that in three weeks they can't walk through the wreckage. They seem to feel that a dynamic event should not be cyclical. They honestly don't have the slightest clue about how much work would be involved to meet their demands.

[mod edit]

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

If you haven't played the game, then how do you know that people are fed up with dynamic events?

And several dynamic events DO change the world.  If you fail to ward of an enemy attack in certain events, you lose that area, its vendors, waypoints, etc. until you win another event that wins the area back.

Are...are you just some GW2 hater?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

They are not dynamic but also 20 times funner then the old questing model.  They also really do breath life into the world.

3 million sold,  if this game keeps going to might be competing with WoW.  WoW did not become the king right after launch it built its way up.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by eyelolled

dynamic events were touted as evolutionary, not revolutionary. They are definately an improvement on the old systems. The point that remains to be proven is if it's feasible to continue to make dynamic events or if the developers need to take the cheap and easy way out of making a static quest line.

Dynamic events DO mean the map is not static, and things are constantly changing, and you have an influence over what happens in the game. However people manage to have completely different perceptions of what that actually means. 

• If an outpost is attacked and taken over by mobs then you can't go and sell your stuff to the merchant that is lying dead on the ground.  If you clear out the mobs and rez everybody back up, then yes, the outpost is just like it was before.
    • If you choose to help defend the outpost when the attack starts, then you might actually keep the outpost to it's current state, but if you leave it alone then it will fall. So yes, a players actions have an effect on the world.
    What people complain about is that if an outpost is destroyed, that in three weeks they can't walk through the wreckage. They seem to feel that a dynamic event should not be cyclical. They honestly don't have the slightest clue about how much work would be involved to meet their demands.

[mod edit]

+1

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• SuperGuppySuperGuppy Member Posts: 33
       There are no dynamic events in this game. Its all scripted and plays out the same every time in the same location. Only difference is you just need to be in the area when it starts instead of being told where to go by a quest npc. Occasionaly the event will trigger the next chain of scripted material and there may be a few chains that are linked together but it never feels like you have made any differance in the world. Guild Wars 2 is good for what it is and it has alot of different activities to do but it really lacks depth. Game companies have moved away from the idea that excitement comes from the consequence of failure and the euphoria from triumph lacks any meaning without the latter. Accessable and casual is apparently where the money is.
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Gw2 is not WoW.

Thank God.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

They sounded good as an idea but after a few days almost everyone realized that traditional questing (especially the way it was done in cataclysm, each zone having its own story) is much more fun in the long run. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

I haven't had the privilege of playing the game,

Stoped reading right there..

Originally posted by boxsnd

They sounded good as an idea but after a few days almost everyone realized that traditional questing (especially the way it was done in cataclysm, each zone being having its own story) is much more fun in the long run. 

No it's not at all.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Theres actually much less work involved in creating a one time event then creating a cyclical event.   Creating something that only runs through a single cycle is easy,  setting up a timer, adding conditions to that timer, etc.  not including any additional spawn points or things of that nature is much tougher overall .. in a case per case basis.   The only thing redundancy does for you is creates repetition and nothing more....  in that way,  a single event in the same place running over and over again is considered  "dynamic content"  whereas a one time event running in randomized positions is considered "inconsistent".  Ultimately there is very little change in the way of overal costs in creating either.   major difference is,  one is predictable.. one is slightly less so.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    There's nothing really wrong with the dynamic event system it fits an MMO space very well unlike the SP borrowed standard questing system, there may however be valid complaints about the quantity and/or quality of the content put into the DE system.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by gotha

They are not dynamic but also 20 times funner then the old questing model.  They also really do breath life into the world.

3 million sold,  if this game keeps going to might be competing with WoW.  WoW did not become the king right after launch it built its way up.

I agree they are alot more fun then the ! & ? questing model, ay more to be honest.  The problem is there jsut doesn't seem to be enough of them IMO.  Sometimes its not uncommon to go 30+ mins with out seeing a new DE pop up.  IMO there should be at least double the DE's and they should last 3 times as long.  Not enough and not enough steps in the chain make them very boring.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Glad you liked the DEs, I found them to be boring and mundane.  

Just because there were 3 million sold doesn't mean there are 3 million still playing.  Just saying.

Originally posted by azzamasin

I agree they are alot more fun then the ! & ? questing model, ay more to be honest.  The problem is there jsut doesn't seem to be enough of them IMO.  Sometimes its not uncommon to go 30+ mins with out seeing a new DE pop up.  IMO there should be at least double the DE's and they should last 3 times as long.  Not enough and not enough steps in the chain make them very boring.

The DE chain which is in the Harathi Hinterlands, is my favorite because of how it's a progressive take-over of the map area. Walk onto the fresh map and you talk to the guy, help him to blow up some catapults (DE1). Then you make the attack at the first camp (DE2). Then you defend the camp(DE3). Then at a different starting point, you move against another camp (DE4), then defend it (DE5) then you make a big move against 3 camps at once(DE6), then defend them(DE7) then move on the final camp (DE8), establish a foothold(DE9) and take out the Modnir champ(DE10)

I love the way the progression works, and the events are high paced. I find the whole thing to be a ton of fun. I wish there were more areas that created that sort of feel. I wish it was a little bit harder though, so there would be more failures at it.  If they were to add more events, I would like them to be longer chains, instead of the solo dynamic events.  

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I have noticed that players don't stick around to the conclusion of some of these events.

two days ago I was entering a cave where some sort of large giant was complaining about ettins. There were to players killing them so I joined. Once the event "gold medal" appeared they took off. Yet the giant said "follow me I will reward you". He then goes to the back of the cave and a secret door in the rock lowers to reveal a chest.

The other guys took off so I claimed the reward.

I've seen a few other open world quests where more goes on after the event but players take off.

My thought is that most people are just in it for the xp and aren't really enjoying the "flavor" of the world. Because of this I can see them missing out and treating each event/quest as just an xp dispenser.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I have noticed that players don't stick around to the conclusion of some of these events.

two days ago I was entering a cave where some sort of large giant was complaining about ettins. There were to players killing them so I joined. Once the event "gold medal" appeared they took off. Yet the giant said "follow me I will reward you". He then goes to the back of the cave and a secret door in the rock lowers to reveal a chest.

I've seen a few other open world quests where more goes on after the event but players take off.

My thought is that most people are just in it for the xp and aren't really enjoying the "flavor" of the world. Because of this I can see them missing out and treating each event/quest as just an xp dispenser.

I've seen the same sort of thing.  I think that many people are so used to rushing through content to get to end game, that they completely miss the best parts.  

It boils down to the main difference between P2P and B2P.  In P2P, you can't take forever to do something,  because at some point in time it becomes a terrible waste of money.  In B2P, the longer it takes you, the better value for your dollar you're getting.

When a person is stuck in the P2P mentality, B2P is a difficult concept to grasp.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by boxsnd

They sounded good as an idea but after a few days almost everyone realized that traditional questing (especially the way it was done in cataclysm, each zone having its own story) is much more fun in the long run. 

Why do people keep saying almost or everyone or most people think bla bla bla, do you feel better writing almost everyone  instead just everyone does that makes it more "fact" or more believable?

I know you hate GW2 and love to bash the game but if you really want to be master in trolling then you should stop writing the words: almost everyone or most people think bla bla bla.

Mkey.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I've seen the same things myself and I've been in areas where the event just repeats a few mins later. To me its a definite  step up from classic questing but its not dynamic, thats just PR spin to get you believing they are more than just quests without a quest giver. I enjoy GW2 for the reason that I can group without effort or timewasting or be moved along at a rate of knots like the people you describe Sovrath. Its great to just wander around at my own pace and see what happens, last night I stumbled on a cave with a thin wall you had to traverse I promptly fell off and died, I'll go back tonight and see it properly. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157

Not gonna happen for GW2.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

first of all, please, dont start with the wow thread, second, if you expected a unlimited combinations of events in each area then i must say your imagination lied to you, the game its still good up and running, the dinamic events are not ( not by close ) the strongest point of the game, and still they are very fun to play specially in the late lvl areas wich they combine in a chain of 2 or 3 events resulting in a big boss fight or something really fun to play thru. About the hype, all games before release are over hyped, this one isnt a exception but that doesnt mean the game is failing, because its not and a lot of people ( including myself ) are still playing and enjoying it, my advise to you, buy it if you please/can and make your own veredict.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I think because they all seemed similar as in defend, escort, attack, and because of how they respawned so quickly it just didn't seem like what was advertised, "You save a village, that village stays saved." Later we found out that the person who said this was refering to the personal story...  

I thought that they may spawn in different places, like that village is safe, but this one is under attack. I didn't think they would respawn 5 mins later. They gave me the feeling of "this is all I have to look forward too for the next 30 levels."

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
This discussion has been closed.