Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why play mmo's?

Most mmo's are following a similar trend with dungeon finders etc.  Basically you stand in the hub and wait for your game to ping; you do not explore a consistent, massive, populated world with other players.  

This is basically what many games on the PS2 or XBox do with a greater degree of competence.  You enter a multi-player game and you play with other players, the graphics are pretty and the game play in general is vastly superior.  

Given the direction mmo's seem to be taking why bother playing them at all? 

ps. If you enjoy a good story, unlike the amateurish SWTOR or GW2, then play The Walking Dead btw.  Now that is how to deliver a story in a game.  

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by ScaryMonk

Most mmo's are following a similar trend with dungeon finders etc.  Basically you stand in the hub and wait for your game to ping; you do not explore a consistent, massive, populated world with other players.

I do agree that current MMO's are pretty limited but to be honost even in the games that have these dungeon finders I never ever have used them. In fact been playing SWtOR for nearly 6 months now and have not done any heroic or legendary things ingame. So even in themepark games I tend to explore as much as possible. 

This is basically what many games on the PS2 or XBox do with a greater degree of competence.  You enter a multi-player game and you play with other players, the graphics are pretty and the game play in general is vastly superior.  

Fully agree that's the reason why at cap lvl I often leave most themepark games as then the normal multiplayer gameplay kicks in and find that actuall multiplayer games do it much beter.

ps. If you enjoy a good story, unlike the amateurish SWTOR or GW2, then play The Walking Dead btw.  Now that is how to deliver a story in a game.  

Can't say much about GW2 cause aint playing it, but to call SWtOR story amateuristic a far stretched, they are actaully pretty good if we speak about the main characters story-line. But story line in a real singleplayer game is often that good and immersive because it actually effects your ingame world, where in MMO's your personal story line doesn't change anything in the ingame world apart from your instance mission area for a brief moment.

So now onto your original OP: Why play mmo's?

Not for it's story line, not for its end game, but for everything else that I can not find in a normal multiplayer or singleplayer game.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Reklaw

I do agree that current MMO's are pretty limited but to be honost even in the games that have these dungeon finders I never ever have used them. In fact been playing SWtOR for nearly 6 months now and have not done any heroic or legendary things ingame. So even in themepark games I tend to explore as much as possible. 

Fully agree that's the reason why at cap lvl I often leave most themepark games as then the normal multiplayer gameplay kicks in and find that actuall multiplayer games do it much beter.

Can't say much about GW2 cause aint playing it, but to call SWtOR story amateuristic a far stretched, they are actaully pretty good if we speak about the main characters story-line. But story line in a real singleplayer game is often that good and immersive because it actually effects your ingame world, where in MMO's your personal story line doesn't change anything in the ingame world apart from your instance mission area for a brief moment.

So now onto your original OP: Why play mmo's?

Not for it's story line, not for its end game, but for everything else that I can not find in a normal multiplayer or singleplayer game.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Dragonage and Mass Effect 2, but I feel the story is somewhat diluted by virtue of it being an mmo in SWTOR.  

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I think it easy to me as I have comp but not PS or Xbox or wii.

may be also it bigger community and add a lot of social (good or bad) experience to gaming.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i dont just enter "any" random multi player game in my mmo.

i have a set date for my clan, and we do dungeons together.

also, we dont wait in a text hub or anything. we do our dailies, push our crafting or do some pvp in the other time. we dont just sit in a tect based room and wait.

sure, i dont NEED to explre consistent massiv populated worlds, but that's what i do during my leveling (as hinted above, i dont realy like random dungeon grps). uh and you know what? the story they told me while doing so was actually quite good. for the 6th's year after another.

how many playstation games do you have that are running for 9 years? :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

my basic premise is "i want to experience a virtual world, but not alone", yeah i could play a singleplayer sandbox, but it feels empty, the problem is that today i cant find a game that feels like a real virtual universe.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by xaritscin

my basic premise is "i want to experience a virtual world, but not alone", yeah i could play a singleplayer sandbox, but it feels empty, the problem is that today i cant find a game that feels like a real virtual universe.

I think this is exactly my point ^.  MMO's do not deliver what a lot of people look for in an mmo, so why play them? 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

im currently not playing any mmo's. I am waiting for that feeling of "massive" to come back into the market. In the past 5 years everything has been scaling down.... if i wanted a multiplayer game with 20 ppl per map I would play TF2.

im tired of the entire game feeling like instance hops.  I think they have a place, but they should not be the only focus.

I loved vanilla WoW. The instances made sense and before battlegrounds came out the PvP was done for fun. TM vs SS. An endless tide of battle where everyone from lvl 10-60 could be found.

Then more guards were added

Then dishonor points (or whatever they were called i forget now)

Then battlegrounds were added.

Then battlegrounds were shoved down our throats

Then they removed what made AV hard and fun (i loved 14 hour AV battles)

Now I will start to get out of order

Then they removed realm pride with cross server messes

Then they removed faction pride with lol-arena

Then they sacrificed any uniqueness of characters for "balance"

They destroyed anything resembling massive raids

They casualised the best gear.

They removed fighting on your server for pvp rank

They killed the community that built them.

WAR came so close... but 2 factions was the biggest mistake they made. Balance would have played out if they had just improved on DAoC instead of trying some weird hybrid between RvR and WoW

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    I play mmos because the games I want to play are labeled as an mmo. I cant control that.

"Oh snap, I going to play XXX because I like was it offers...what? It's labeled an MMO? Man...guess I won't play it then..."
  • DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

For me, an economy that involves other players is enough of a draw. Even without having a face-to-face interaction with them, the other players provide a benefit that I couldn't get from a single player game: unpredictability that doesn't come from a random number generator.

If I want to buy a Mythril Greatsword, someone has to have one for sale. Sometimes no one does. And other times, someone does but they're charging more than I want to pay. Other times, I find one for much less than the going price; lucky me! Same goes for selling. If I put an Astral Ring up for sale for a certain price, it might sell quickly or not at all. Someone might undercut me. If there are a lot already for sale, I might hang onto it until the supply dwindles.

If I were playing a single-player game, I would get no value from this randomness because it would be coming from the RNG. And I don't want to be told "No Mythril Greatswords for sale today. Why? Cuz I rolled a 3 lololol" It means more to me if that economic element is merely unpredictable and not purely die-roll random.

There are other reasons I want to play in a game with a massive amount of people, but even setting aside all other kinds of interactions, there is still this and it alone is sufficient for me.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167

I play mmos to get lost in the world away from my real world! You can't get all that lost in a multiplayer game. most of the times those type games are nothing but just a map! I absolutely hate hub based games WoW post Vanila and Tortanic.

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

What a dumb question. People play them because they find them fun.

Not everybody thinks the way you do.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Mostly because they're free at this point. image
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I play MMOs because I want a good story or my RL friends play them.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by greenreen

I don't play the games for story. Honestly, I don't care about story because I never memorize it. I don't buy maps of the world or characters from it. Never will. I've got no place for stuff like that in my house. If there was a book series, I wouldn't buy it either. I'm not immersed when I'm playing. I'm fully aware that is a character on the screen and not an improved version of me.

I want the game for a glorified proof of my ability to make money if you take it to the heart of it. Every game I play I must turn a profit on crafting to be comfortable in it. I don't give my stuff away and I don't make things for free. I expect you to buy what I create. The only way I can explain it is dedicated money making. If grinding creatures makes me money until my crafting rewards come in, I do that. I'm a capitalist that lives in a free market and I carry that into the game.

Between my money making I want to PVP. Real people fight less predictably than mobs or scripted dungeons. Creatures sitting around waiting to be killed - yawn. That's not realistic, why don't they run when I walk up with a weapon. In PVP I can find players hiding and destroy them. The healer or ranger in the group getting no attacks standing idly in the back, I'm gunning for you. You won't plunk my team to death without me making you a target too while others are mobbing the person that just happened to be in the front of the line. I'm smarter than the AI, I don't have aggro to manage and I am competitive. I will chase you to my certain death to get you almost dead. If I live through it then I get a huge rush from it.

I like to laugh at stupid people that chat. I don't tell them what I think of them but I still laugh. I have what they call manners, I simply don't interact with them unless they "buy my crap".  I like seeing people beg for groups and know that I don't need them. I'm sadistic that way. I even enjoy it when they come out of their groups and complain about how horrible it was. I like to watch the elitists stand on their pedestal and segregrate other players beneath them. I like to see them react to being disincluded and try to validate their worth. You just can't get that sort of entertainment offline and it's fly on the way behavior that is akin to people watching.

Gee, It sounds like your better than us.  I just have one question.........Can I have your stuff ?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The main reason I play MMOs as opposed to SPRPG or multiplayer is the persistent world aspect. It goes on without me unlike multiplayer or arena where there is no persistent place. SPRPGs in particular seem empty by comparison and is the main reason I choose MMORPGs.
  • ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

i like messing around with different classes/races and exploring. Small dungeons are fun as well (they fell more personal than large raids with ridiculous hp bars)

that's about it. i honestly enjoy the communities in RTS and MOBA games more-so than in MMO's, so I can't really say 'the people', even though I like it when my wife is playing the same game as me.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

That is the problem. It is not. In fact, some MMOs are good SP or online games, and i play as such.

STO is a good example. Tell me what is a good Star Trek ARPG with both ship & ground combat. I won't play a star trek MMO if there is such a game.

How about DDO? When is the last good D&D non-MMO game?

Sure, generic fantasy is pretty common, and i certainly don't need a MMO to get a good fantasy ARPG (D3, Torchlight ...) but there are MANY genre with a lack of games.

Even super heroes ... aside from DCUO, is there a recent game that allows you to design your own super heroes? Aside from Marvel Heroes (and marvel squad whatever .. whcih is also a MMO), is there a recent game that allows you to play a marvel super heroes? (The last one was Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, which is released couple of years ago).

How about steampunk? How about pirates RPGs?

If there are ARPG in all these genres, then sure .. no need to play MMOs. Before that happens, i will be playing lots of MMOs.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Zairu

i like messing around with different classes/races and exploring. Small dungeons are fun as well (they fell more personal than large raids with ridiculous hp bars)

that's about it. i honestly enjoy the communities in RTS and MOBA games more-so than in MMO's, so I can't really say 'the people', even though I like it when my wife is playing the same game as me.

I don't think MMO is anything special regarding communtiies. It is just a bunch of people playing the same game. MMO communities are not superior to communities in other games. In all the games i have played, MMOs or not, i can always find someone whom i enjoy to play with, and make friends if i want to.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    An mmo is 100% about community.

No players playing = boring game. The whole point of an mmo is interacfion with others... ie community memebers. Otherwise, an mmo would be asshat fps style gameplay, where what u do does not matter because no ome to shun you.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I play games because they are fun.  I don't restrict myself to any single genre of game.  I play SP games, I play multi-player games, I play FPS and RTS and MMOs.  I play because I have a good time playing them and if I stop having a good time, I stop playing them.

What I really don't understand are the people who become abnormally fixated on MMOs, they will only play MMOs, no matter how much they complain they all suck.

That's the question you ought to be asking.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Cephus404

I play games because they are fun.  I don't restrict myself to any single genre of game.  I play SP games, I play multi-player games, I play FPS and RTS and MMOs.  I play because I have a good time playing them and if I stop having a good time, I stop playing them.

What I really don't understand are the people who become abnormally fixated on MMOs, they will only play MMOs, no matter how much they complain they all suck.

An mmo is the most wonderful possibility, it just has to be done right. The need to play them can get the better of people. It's like a starving man eating out of the garbage. If you only have 1 option you can only choose it. That being said I stopped playing mmo's for fun quite awhile ago, now I'm trying to get people to rethink them. The mmo is an amazing concept. What we have now are a bunch of bad jokes.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Merilirem
    Originally posted by Cephus404

An mmo is the most wonderful possibility, it just has to be done right. The need to play them can get the better of people. It's like a starving man eating out of the garbage. If you only have 1 option you can only choose it. That being said I stopped playing mmo's for fun quite awhile ago, now I'm trying to get people to rethink them. The mmo is an amazing concept. What we have now are a bunch of bad jokes.

That's where I disagree with you.  An MMO is just a game, it isn't some magical, mystical experience, it's a game.  It's something done for entertainment.   The problem is, you do have some people who are utterly fixated on only playing MMOs, they cannot imagine finding another genre of game to play, yet it seems they hate MMOs, they idolize some imaginary time in the past when they thought things were better, but in reality, they just have nostalgic memory and forget how bad it was in the past.

What we have right now are the golden age of MMOs, there are more MMOs active today and more people playing MMOs today than ever in the history of mankind.  They are playing the games and having a good time.  Far too many people here are wishing for something that never was and not playing games, they're trying to relive memories.  No wonder they're not having any fun.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

The only thing that keeps bringing me back to MMO's is the justification of my time. Playing a single player RPG like Skyrim, or Fallout: New Vegas, really just drives the point home for me, that I feel my time spent collecting, killing, skilling or leveling is almost pointless, as I can never really show it off in a multiplayer environment. Only I get to see it, and while I realize that's all that matters in a single player game, I prefer my time to have more meaning than can be derived alone.

In the words of Chris McCandless, quoted more famously by Jon Krakauer, "Happiness is only real when shared." I suppose the same could apply to my gaming habits.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)