Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help ASAP: Graphics card died. Thank You for your help.

HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

Been visiting this site for awhile.  I noticed there is some good advice being given out here. So any help would be appriciated. Thank You in advance.

I have a 9800gt eco edition that just died.  Well not dead but the fan shattered on it. Started out cracked and after being glued back together several times over the course of a year it broke into 4 pieces this time.  Trying to fix it this time I got glue where it should not of been and needless to say it's worthless now.

Looked for a replacement fan and never found one. Even emailed Zotac awhile back to see if I could buy one and never got a response. An after market kit seems just as pricey as just outright replacing the card in the long run.

Question is a 7770 still the budget card to use? I'm on a tight budget but need something that can handle games.  I will need a cheap but quality PSU as well.  The current one I have, I am sure is junk (unsafe).  Stats below.  This system will never be overclocked or upgraded. So something that gives me a safe but reliable margin of wattage as well as safe, while being cheap.

PSU currently is a Sigma Sp-500Y (KY-600ATX)   500watt

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H

CPU  I3- 530

I know it's a low end system but replacing everything is not an option.  CPU is just fine currently for what games I play.

Thanks for your help

Edit forgot to add.  My knowledge is limited. I taken the heatsink off the CPU to clean it and obviously pulling a Graphics card.  Fairly sure I can handle a psu replacement.  In a side note this eco edition that I currently have does not have a seperate power connector.  So if someone could advise me where that would plug in on the MB or whatever would be helpfull.

I have 2 fans one on the back and one on the side. haven't looked to see where the back one plugs up to but the side one plugs into a psu line.  Not sure if that would make a difference or not on psu selection.  Basically I just want to be sure all the plugs that I need are on the new one.  1CD 1 harddrive  2 fans and whatever this new video card needs. Plenty of room in the case.  LOTS of room in the case.   MB looks kind of small compared to others. But should be an issue.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Yep, that power supply is junk alright.  22 A on the +12 V rail is not a modern 500 W power supply.  There are probably 300 W power supplies that could deliver more wattage than that.

-----

If you want to get as cheap of a power supply as you can that will work for a relatively low power gaming rig, then here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Do be aware that that will limit your future upgrade options, though you don't strike me as the sort of person that will someday convert your computer into a high end gaming rig.  If you're willing to spend more for high quality, you could try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182261

For a video card, it's really just a question of what you're willing to pay and whether you like big rebates.  Starting from a little slower than the card you're looking to replace and going up from there:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102988

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162124

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121652

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162127

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150642

I wouldn't go above that last one on a Corsair CX430 V2, but a higher end power supply would give you more options.

Two case fans is plenty if they're not too small.  How big are your case fans?  80 mm and 120 mm are the most common sizes.  Also, they're actual case fans, and not counting the fan in the power supply, right?

Originally posted by Hulluck

Edit forgot to add.  My knowledge is limited. I taken the heatsink off the CPU to clean it and obviously pulling a Graphics card.  Fairly sure I can handle a psu replacement.  In a side note this eco edition that I currently have does not have a seperate power connector.  So if someone could advise me where that would plug in on the MB or whatever would be helpfull.

I have 2 fans one on the back and one on the side. haven't looked to see where the back one plugs up to but the side one plugs into a psu line.  Not sure if that would make a difference or not on psu selection.  Basically I just want to be sure all the plugs that I need are on the new one.  1CD 1 harddrive  2 fans and whatever this new video card needs. Plenty of room in the case.  LOTS of room in the case.   MB looks kind of small compared to others. But should be an issue.

Putting a CPU heatsink on is, in my view, the hardest part of assembling a computer, unless you're trying to do some weird case mod for the fun of it.  So if you've done that, you can do anything.

A video card with a TDP of above 75 W will have a 6-pin PCI-E power connector on the card.  You run the relevant cable from the power supply to the video card.  The PCI Express specification says that PCI Express slots have to be able to draw 75 W through the motherboard, but any additional power comes from the power supply directly.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

Definitely want an upgrade on the GPU from what it was.   I just recall seeing the 7770 being brought up by you a lot. I also rememmber doing a lot of research awhile back and a 7770 being the best I could probably get before bottle necking the cpu. Mail in rebates are a bonus!

So would a 7770 be a safe bet or is there a newer version of that in the same price range?  back is 120mm I believe.  Sides smaller so assume it's 80mm.  That psu would have all the connecters that I would need correct?  I could just use the old psu as a guide as to where to plug the new up? Or not quiet that simple?

Originally posted by Quizzical

Putting a CPU heatsink on is, in my view, the hardest part of assembling a computer, unless you're trying to do some weird case mod for the fun of it.  So if you've done that, you can do anything.

A video card with a TDP of above 75 W will have a 6-pin PCI-E power connector on the card.  You run the relevant cable from the power supply to the video card.  The PCI Express specification says that PCI Express slots have to be able to draw 75 W through the motherboard, but any additional power comes from the power supply directly.

Gotcha Thanks!

7770 Vs. 7850  Which would you buy if you were me?  Trust yoru opinion. I do game on it and would like to play higher end stuff is possible. Better than I was able to.  So performance wise would it be better just to spend the extra and get the 7850?

Edit:;  If I get the 7850 and it bottlenecks my CPU, will it degrade performance more than a card that doesn't bottleneck?

7770 Vs. 7850  Which would you buy if you were me?  Trust yoru opinion. I do game on it and would like to play higher end stuff is possible. Better than I was able to.  So performance wise would it be better just to spend the extra and get the 7850?

It sounds like your airflow will be more or less adequate, but not that great.

Now that I take a better look at the 7850, that looks like a dicey cooler on it.  I wouldn't get that in a case where you're already low on airflow.  There are other 7850s, but they're more expensive.

A Radeon HD 7770 will more than double the graphical performance of your old card, in addition to supporting modern APIs.  There isn't a newer version of a 7770; the Radeon HD 7000 series cards (and GeForce GTX 600 series cards) are the new version.

Originally posted by Quizzical

It sounds like your airflow will be more or less adequate, but not that great.

Now that I take a better look at the 7850, that looks like a dicey cooler on it.  I wouldn't get that in a case where you're already low on airflow.  There are other 7850s, but they're more expensive.

A Radeon HD 7770 will more than double the graphical performance of your old card, in addition to supporting modern APIs.  There isn't a newer version of a 7770; the Radeon HD 7000 series cards (and GeForce GTX 600 series cards) are the new version.

7770 and the first PSU listed it is unless you have any last minute additons.  Thanks for all your help