Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] TERA: New F2P Model Combating the Stereotype

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Xirik
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Oh, and if I am using the 'Discovery' (free for 20 levels) edition will that not work when it goes F2P?  Or do I have to purchase and download a whole new client?

It will work when it goes ftp. You can hit cap in discovery then wait till FTP comes and continue on lvling.

So... lvl all classes to lvl 20 over the next while? image

Nice!  Thanks Xirik

Originally posted by jtcgs

I still don't get your point.  wtf is freemium? Why do you care if the game does better or not?  Are you invested?  Its just a game.  You either like it and will try it, or perhaps you played it hate it.

But I dont think you have enough solid evidence to back up that it was a bad business decision.  (Nor that anyone cares).

If you dont care, why are you replying? You clearly havent been reading what I am posting because I talked about what freemium is in my first post and you seem to like contradicting yourself by first asking me why I care if it does better or not and then following it up by making it appear as if I may have played the game and hated it...

As for there being evidence or not to back it up, Nexon is the second largest video game maker on the planet with a profit of over 1 BILLION dollars for 2 straight YEARS...more than half from their FREE GAMES. that means they made over 500 MILLION dollars in PROFITS from them.

500 million is more than FUNCOM or TURBINE makes...total.

Atlantica Online made almost 300 million in 2011...thats more than most of the best subscription based games make.

Because I can.  Second I said no one cares, not just me. But Im being pedantic.   And you still didnt answer my question of why you are so upset over this freemium / F2P whatever you call it.  What are you trying to prove?  That TERA isn't going to be free?  That some people can pay for more options? What?

Well their stock isn't doing to well - http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/3659:JP

So I'm not sure what you are saying about their profits.  I couldnt find the exact numbers so could you link your source for their profit numbers?

Common sense will tell you that a free game with a la carte features will make more money than a fixed cost (i.e. - subscription) because you remove the barrier for an individual to spend more money.

You just sound like you dont know what you are talking about, let alone making sense.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Considering they released every detail already, does seem strange he didn't answer specifically with some of the questions..
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

“We’ve all seen a lot of changes in the MMO market this past year, and with more free games than ever before, players have a wide selection of quality titles—all of them competing for players’ time.”

This has been the case for the last six years or so, it is not new. It is one of the reasons MMO’s are struggerling.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    /snip

Because I can.  Second I said no one cares, not just me. But Im being pedantic.   And you still didnt answer my question of why you are so upset over this freemium / F2P whatever you call it.  What are you trying to prove?  That TERA isn't going to be free?  That some people can pay for more options? What?

So I'm not sure what you are saying about their profits.  I couldnt find the exact numbers so could you link your source for their profit numbers?

Common sense will tell you that a free game with a la carte features will make more money than a fixed cost (i.e. - subscription) because you remove the barrier for an individual to spend more money.

You just sound like you dont know what you are talking about, let alone making sense.

Why on earth are you quoting stocks for Nexon?  Nexon is a publisher that has a lot of game titles under their roof.  BHS (the developer of Tera) and EnMass are a privately owned company and that makes you're stock quotes totally pointless.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Love everything about the game except for the quest system...but thats a big one.

Agree, I resubbed a few weeks ago. Love the game but god the quests are boring.

Originally posted by stayontarget
    /snip

Why on earth are you quoting stocks for Nexon?  Nexon is a publisher that has a lot of game titles under their roof.  BHS (the developer of Tera) and EnMass are a privately owned company and that makes you're stock quotes totally pointless.

You snipped the reason why I had Nexon profits attached (mistaken or otherwise).  Did you read it?  Even more the fact that the developer / publisher of TERA is private further proves my (original) point that the individual I was speaking with has no idea what their profits were thus invalidating his argument ... which we seem to get further and further away from.

Stay on message.

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Like everyone has stated, questing in Tera was a grinding, boring, cookie-cutter nitemare, but my healer is max level so its a moot point for me (wont be rolling alts).  So Ill check out the F2P model.  I will say that I miss that action combat!  Playing other MMOs is just....the combat is too boring.  I loved being able to dodge and backstep on my Healer in TERA.  Pretty graphics too altho some of those outfits were way too risque! lol!  My character looked like she stepped out of a Fredericks of Hollywood catelog!

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

Seems like we all agree about the questing :-)    Seeing how Im the guy who READS the text to get some form of context, for others who have read it - is the Lore interesting enough to read through while I quest?  Or is it so bad I might as well click next and just complete them?

Also for those who made it to max level, I only made it to level 12 or so.  Does the landscape signifigantly change as you get higher up?  I love worlds where I get to explore different regions.  Is there any value in exploring every inch of a zone?  Are their achievements or is the games' world built around questing.

TERA looks pretty and has interesting combat, but curious about what else it delivers to keep me interested as I move up to max level.

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    While things usually tend to look better on paper (e.g. developer interviews), I have to say what I've read so far looks promising. The guys at En Masse seem to have an awareness of the stupidity when it comes to F2P restrictions in other online games. While TERA isn't completely flawless, it's still much better than most of the (now) F2P online games out there. I hope En Masse improves on their marketing campaign to help bring more publicity to this game.
  • XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Seems like we all agree about the questing :-)    Seeing how Im the guy who READS the text to get some form of context, for others who have read it - is the Lore interesting enough to read through while I quest?  Or is it so bad I might as well click next and just complete them?

Also for those who made it to max level, I only made it to level 12 or so.  Does the landscape signifigantly change as you get higher up?  I love worlds where I get to explore different regions.  Is there any value in exploring every inch of a zone?  Are their achievements or is the games' world built around questing.

TERA looks pretty and has interesting combat, but curious about what else it delivers to keep me interested as I move up to max level.

we have forrest, plains, tribal jungle, haloween/scary area, desert wasteland, beach, and avataresque. for zones so far and I am currently lvl 36

Not much exploring but I have noticed if you go quest in the alternate area's or do some quests you find while running around you do get achievments and odd tittles from it.  like repairman.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I would say I read about 80% of the quest dialogues (excl. repeatables, kill x / x parts) up to the cap level. I really reaaaally took my time. Out of the 80% of what I did read I would say about a bit more than half of those were written in such a way that they made me chuckle. It took me back to my time in WoW pre Burning Crusade.

To be honest, only parts you should pay attention to are the story quests. And those fly by, so it stays enjoyable. Everything else is filler and sometimes gives a little background but nothing too drastic that would hurt your enjoyment of a zone (thinking about zompories lol...)

Also for those who made it to max level, I only made it to level 12 or so.  Does the landscape signifigantly change as you get higher up?  I love worlds where I get to explore different regions.

I loved Arborea. It got progressively sci-fi-ish and I didn't enjoy one of the zones where Nexuses would spawn. Note that I don't enjoy sci-fi too much.

Is there any value in exploring every inch of a zone?

Not when I left the game back in October of last year.

Are their achievements

Yes. Plenty. Many of them I found to be of the grind variety (think LOTRO).

or is the games' world built around questing.

In my opinion, too much open space. Poorly utilized zones. So not really.

Adrenaline filled (boss) fights, graphics and amazing art direction. That's it. 

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Tera-ble is just another korean garbage clone to go f2p. I don't understand why westerners are so dumb as to think gimmicky games are worth a subsciption, but what can ya say? Gamers are idiots. Hence CoD and WoW being the top games in their genre.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy
    While things usually tend to look better on paper (e.g. developer interviews), I have to say what I've read so far looks promising. The guys at En Masse seem to have an awareness of the stupidity when it comes to F2P restrictions in other online games. 

It's PR, and nothing more. They're talking out of their asses. If they knew what they were talking about they wouldn't have made the fumbles that they made after the game was launched in the west.

They need to show me the receipts before I start believing anything they have to say. Same as with the other dev/publishing companies.

While TERA isn't completely flawless, it's still much better than most of the (now) F2P online games out there.

Maybe.

I hope En Masse improves on their marketing campaign to help bring more publicity to this game.

If they didn't, after all this time, what would make it any different now? Even GW2 made a serious push for publicity (commercials, TIME etc).

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    While things usually tend to look better on paper (e.g. developer interviews), I have to say what I've read so far looks promising. The guys at En Masse seem to have an awareness of the stupidity when it comes to F2P restrictions in other online games. 

It's PR, and nothing more. They're talking out of their asses. If they knew what they were talking about they wouldn't have made the fumbles that they made after the game was launched in the west.

They need to show me the receipts before I start believing anything they have to say. Same as with the other dev/publishing companies.

While TERA isn't completely flawless, it's still much better than most of the (now) F2P online games out there.

Maybe.

I hope En Masse improves on their marketing campaign to help bring more publicity to this game.

If they didn't, after all this time, what would make it any different now? Even GW2 made a serious push for publicity (commercials, TIME etc).

Having played the game since beta I can tell you TERA Online isn't a perfect game, but it still has some redeeming qualities to it. Gamepad support, non-target combat system, an easy leveling system (good for casual gamers), and some pretty tough dungeon/BAM fights, these are just some of the few good things about the game. But it also does have its share of issues, such as boring questing progression, uncreative endgame content, and a really grindy crafting system (which I hear is going to be improved upon next patch, actually, so that's a good thing). 

Yeah, of course what they said on the interviews is a PR stunt. Hell, every company does that. And En Masse is no different. But I'm HOPING that they will do as they say. And if that's the case, then I can tell you right off the bat that TERA Online will be the only F2P MMORPG that actually got it "right" this generation thus far. Because all the other P2P-to-F2P games out there have been stripped of content for non-paying members, which is stupid and greedy, plain and simple.

• VeryMelonVeryMelon Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Considering EME's terrible record so far I fully expect them to drop the ball on this transition too. Maybe not right off the bat, but knowing them we won't have to wait long for the answer to  "When?".
  • ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Maybe.

Having played the game since beta I can tell you TERA Online isn't a perfect game, but it still has some redeeming qualities to it. Gamepad support, non-target combat system, an easy leveling system (good for casual gamers), and some pretty tough dungeon/BAM fights, these are just some of the few good things about the game. But it also does have its share of issues, such as boring questing progression, uncreative endgame content, and a really grindy crafting system (which I hear is going to be improved upon next patch, actually, so that's a good thing). 

Yeah, of course what they said on the interviews is a PR stunt. Hell, every company does that. And En Masse is no different. But I'm HOPING that they will do as they say. And if that's the case, then I can tell you right off the bat that TERA Online will be the only F2P MMORPG that actually got it "right" this generation thus far. Because all the other P2P-to-F2P games out there have been stripped of content for non-paying members, which is stupid and greedy, plain and simple.

Im glad you added the P2P-F2P part because im continualy shocked by the number of idiots who say that all F2P games are like this, cause its simply not true.  There have been games for years that have properly incorporated successful item malls that in no way whatsoever give you any real advantages.  The best exampls as to such are games like Atlantica Online where people spend hunred of dollars to get a new mount that in the end adds trivial stats.  The one mistake I see most item mall games making these days though is not allowing the items bought on the item mall to be sold in game to other players.  

I think that when a company elects to go from P2P-F2P it often a sign of desperation to get money back on a failed game.  It is a shame that this is true because most moderately successful games could make even more money as an item mall than as sub game.  Look at LoL I'll be the first to admit I have spent more in the item mall for that game then I ever would on a sub.

• RadiogirlRadiogirl Member CommonPosts: 16

I love the combat in TERA and now that I can play for free I'm getting back into it. At the same time, I'm also a big fan of TSW. I play both but for diferent reasons. With TERA I get great combat with a frankly boring and unengaging storyline and lots of grinding. With TSW I get a deep, engaging, and well-presented storyline and very little grindy content but a rather mediocre and repetitive combat system. With these games, I can have one or the other but not both at the same time.

Personally, I believe that if TERA's main storyline was rewritten and the presentation was significantly improved (more and better voice acting and cutscenes that actually move the story along in significant and interesting ways and inspire players to want to experience the next chapter as they progress through the game) and cut down on the grindyness in favor of more inventive mission structure this game would be unstoppable. 

I believe TERA could be one of the top games out there if they could prove to their players that you can have both great combat and an engaging and interesting storyline in the same game. Until that happens though, I think TERA will remain mired in the middle of the a very large and ever-increasing pack of FTP MMO's.

• MortiasMortias Member Posts: 2
    Will there be a NEW SERVER  with Tera F2P launch ???
  • Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

Since you specifically stated you are the type of guy who actually does read quest text then yes, quests can actually be pretty entertaining and funny.  Saw some threads a few weeks back with some people linking a few and I was like.....I gotta start reading these things . . they're not half bad. 

Some storylines are OK, some are terrible, some are epic.  But the quest text writers did take the time of making the minutiae entertaining for those who enjoy that ype of thing. 

As for zones there's a large number of gorgeous areas with different themes, all of which are linked in such a way you don't find yourself booted out to a loading screen if you chose not to.  You can ride by pony from area to area, and far distances between continents are connected by some tunnel technology when on a flying taxi, you remain in the game world, UI up, chat up, never pushed out.  Pretty nifty to keep the sense of a seamless world.  Later on as you level and don't want to take panoramic routes people use teleport scrolls.

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Best combat in the genra right now. I'm having fun with the game.
  • AbedulelpinoAbedulelpino Member Posts: 5
    I dunno if anyone said this already, too much text to check, but the quest system gets better later, you can choose from different places and do some quest and leave others, i found my self with the posibilities of  going to 2 places and when i finished them both i found i got the same item rewards, meaning i did 2 path of quest from the same lvl xD! 

Look! a penny!

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

best combat in 'non lobby style' mmo, but pvp is as bas as all other gear centric games.

Hope there comes a day when devs finally realize one thing... open world pvp, in a gear centric game = no go.

Seriously, why do they keep on making open world, faction based games... (not talking about tera only,)... if one or two levels, or a few stats make such a huge difference ? 

They have a really awesome battle system (for mmo standards), hampered by a really really retarded stats/gear system. And its not the 1st  game to make such a mistake. Not saying to remove gear progression, because thats what makes so many mmo players tick, sort of, and for all i care they could keep it as it is now - for pve, but would scaling gear/stats importance when it comes to pvp really make anyone unhappy? 

I seriously dont get it. Maybe its just me and other people actually like it that way, but why bother with making an open world, action based combat mmo, if its still stats/gear that will decide 95% of pvp encounters?

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    something severely lacking in this game is stat normal/equalization on pvp.

right now there is zero player skill involved coz its 100% gear (or close to it)

action combat is wasted wen the pvp suffers this serious problem along with high level greifers killing every1 on lower level maps with no real penalty and guards dont even attack them

hallo ~_~