Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing SWTOR... again

darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Now that its F2P.  I originally subbed for 3 months at release and didnt renew.   I thought it was a good experience for what it was, but it wasnt an MMO.   More of a linear game around the class stories.  But they were fun.  Just not worth a sub for me.

As soon as it went F2P I re-rolled a Bounty Hunter and having fun for the time being.  I remember it being fun in the first few levels.  Also some of the restrictions don't kick in until after level 10 (like calling remote med bots).  But again, since the game is free I wont mind paying extra for those.  I actually LIKE the fact that XP comes slower as I remember out levelling content mid way through the second planet in the Jedi story.

As I play I'll see how my experience goes and how much I feel I need to dip in the cartel market. If it gets rediculous I'll just quit.

Don't understand why they just didnt release this as KOTOR3 - as that's mostly what it plays like (with light MMO tropes).

Comments

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    It plays nothing like the KOTOR games. Not sure where you get that comparison from. Neverwinter Nights plays like KOTOR games... but not SWTOR.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    As far as conversations go, it plays like Mass Effect.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by jpnole
    It plays nothing like the KOTOR games. Not sure where you get that comparison from. Neverwinter Nights plays like KOTOR games... but not SWTOR.

I get that from MY personal experience.  In KOTOR you play as an individual who becomes a jedi.  I get to make my own light saber and I try to solve the (conflict) of the story.   Im doing the exact same thing in SWTOR, the difference being I can play other races and classes.

My Jedi story played no different than a PC updated extension of KOTOR.   Similiarities include the same underlying funneling of content to move you forward.  You could explore in KOTOR but it was filler.  It was fun filler (at the time) but filler.  The main game involved going to a planet.  Listening to a problem and working through both sides making decisions that ends that conflict.

If you feel its a completely different experience I respect that, but only ask for the same.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I get that from MY personal experience.  In KOTOR you play as an individual who becomes a jedi.  I get to make my own light saber and I try to solve the (conflict) of the story.   Im doing the exact same thing in SWTOR, the difference being I can play other races and classes.

My Jedi story played no different than a PC updated extension of KOTOR.   Similiarities include the same underlying funneling of content to move you forward.  You could explore in KOTOR but it was filler.  It was fun filler (at the time) but filler.  The main game involved going to a planet.  Listening to a problem and working through both sides making decisions that ends that conflict.

If you feel its a completely different experience I respect that, but only ask for the same.

You described 99% of themepark MMOS, so i am guessing they all play like KOTOR in that case.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

You described 99% of themepark MMOS, so i am guessing they all play like KOTOR in that case.

Possibly so, but then again I dont play 99% of themepark MMOs ... Just WoW.  And even in that case I have more to do outside of questing than I do in SWTOR.   When I want real options I play EQ.  

I am not saying SWTOR is a bad game, I am saying it is too linear and provides no extra-curricular activities that interest me. Outside of playing my story (operations, and flashpoints) what can you do that makes the world persistent?  I understand its Star Wars and certain liberties can't realistically be taken (Who would fish in Star Wars?).  But C'mon -- I cant even fly to whatever planet I want and its a Space Opera.  Whats that about?

To me its just a missed opportunity especially considering the plethora of options offered in the most basic of MMOs .. which in my opinion is choice.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Possibly so, but then again I dont play 99% of themepark MMOs ... Just WoW.  And even in that case I have more to do outside of questing than I do in SWTOR.   When I want real options I play EQ.  

I am not saying SWTOR is a bad game, I am saying it is too linear and provides no extra-curricular activities that interest me. Outside of playing my story (operations, and flashpoints) what can you do that makes the world persistent?  I understand its Star Wars and certain liberties can't realistically be taken (Who would fish in Star Wars?).  But C'mon -- I cant even fly to whatever planet I want and its a Space Opera.  Whats that about?

To me its just a missed opportunity especially considering the plethora of options offered in the most basic of MMOs .. which in my opinion is choice.

Considering SWTOR follows WOW model of themepark, what excatly do you mean when you say  'i have more things to do outside of questing in WOW than i do in SWTOR'?

Crafting? raiding? heroics? exploring for datacrons?  achievements? titles? world boses? PVP? space combat mini games?

Other than space missions everything else exists in WOW. Granted WOW will have more extra activities on top of that considering its age and years devs had to fill it with content.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Considering SWTOR follows WOW model of themepark, what excatly do you mean when you say  'i have more things to do outside of questing in WOW than i do in SWTOR'?

Crafting? raiding? heroics? exploring for datacrons?  achievements? titles? world boses? PVP? space combat mini games?

Other than space missions everything else exists in WOW. Granted WOW will have more extra activities on top of that considering its age and years devs had to fill it with content.

In WoW I can do the normal questing.  If I get bored of that I can do Archeology.  If I get bored of that I can mine ore and either craft and play the AH (remotely I might add). I get bored of that I can go fishing.  I get bored of that I can do pet battles. Or I can hop on a ship and just explore outside of questing to see a new area.  All of these things keeps the world persistent (in some way) that I personally enjoy.  The key here is I LIKE doing all these things.  So its more a question of choice rather than option.

In SWTOR I can quest.  I can kind of 'analyze' crystals but honestly didnt get involved with crafting as it didnt interest me. But I cant travel.  I cant say "Oh, Lets go to Korriban and see what we can get into"  Again maybe by end game I can travel to any planet I dont know but I should be able to do it whenever I want.  There have been many times I went into way high level areas and was killed instantly.  But I at least had the choice to do that.

In SWTOR on Nar Shadaa you have a main 'well' with 4 stairwells on each side with a huge Hutt in the middle.  Playing Bounty Hunter on the Imperial Planet (cannot remember its name now) It has the same structure.  A 'well' with 4 stairwells on each side.  Its not exact but enough for me to see the duplication.  In WoW nearly every new zone or location I visit is different and unique.  There is a charm to it that I dont feel in SWTOR.  But to be fair I haven't seen all the planets.

So while my response is not to deny the options you have placed.  It is to say that those options do not entice me to do (most of) them.  For example, searching for datacrons isnt something I would imagine doing in a Star Wars game.  I want more player choices and I dont see them coming soon.  So perhaps its the structure of how SWTOR copied WoW that I am not a fan of - as opposed to it being a copy.

But remember I AM playing SWTOR :-)  So there is something redeeming about the title.  I will probably play all 8 stories.  They are interesting and engaging.  I just dont see it maintaining my interest long term with other options that fit closer to what I like to do.

I have never raided but is something I wil try in SWTOR (and WoW) to get a feel of which one I may like better.  That is my main incentive to play through the game.  How much fun would a SWTOR raid be.   In that context is there a LFR like WoW?  How many man are they? 5? 10? 25?  If there is no LFR how are they organized.

Another limitation on my part being husband/father/executive is I only get perhaps 3 hours a night to play - so curious about the timeframe to organize as it may end up not being feasible.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

Wrong, SWG had so many options, there was fishing, there was lots of realistic stuff in the game to play around with. There was politician, city mayors, so star wars isn't restricted to liberties and thats not the reason why swtor is that restricted. Its a choice in game design to be exactly like WoW.

Again, Star wars and many liberties CAN be realistically be taken and you can fish. Just you making that assumption off of SWTOR and Star Wars just tells me how much you know about the lore.

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Fishing

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Originally posted by Jonoku

Wrong, SWG had so many options, there was fishing, there was lots of realistic stuff in the game to play around with. There was politician, city mayors, so star wars isn't restricted to liberties and thats not the reason why swtor is that restricted. Its a choice in game design to be exactly like WoW.

Again, Star wars and many liberties CAN be realistically be taken and you can fish. Just you making that assumption off of SWTOR and Star Wars just tells me how much you know about the lore.

To this day I'm still pissed I never even got to see SWG.  For all of its problems I have heard about it seemed to be the perfect context for which I would want to play Star Wars.   I never claimed to be a loremaster.  Im just a gamer ;-)

Doogie ... If SWTOR continued/improved THIS --^  -- It would be closer to what I was trying to articulate above.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

I understand its Star Wars and certain liberties can't realistically be taken (Who would fish in Star Wars?).  

To this day I'm still pissed I never even got to see SWG.  For all of its problems I have heard about it seemed to be the perfect context for which I would want to play Star Wars.   I never claimed to be a loremaster.  Im just a gamer ;-)

Don't worry you will see SWG 2.0 after star wars 7,8 and 9. It will be dominant like 2003, I can sense it.....

Bioware's crew have limited knowledge on sandbox games of how to create the virtual world. However origin and EA have designed a sandbox in which started alot of the MMOs on the market in the 2000s-2010.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• clockwerk2013clockwerk2013 Member UncommonPosts: 27

I understand its Star Wars and certain liberties can't realistically be taken (Who would fish in Star Wars?).  

Don't worry you will see SWG 2.0 after star wars 7,8 and 9. It will be dominant like 2003, I can sense it.....

Bioware's crew have limited knowledge on sandbox games of how to create the virtual world. However origin and EA have designed a sandbox in which started alot of the MMOs on the market in the 2000s-2010.

sorry my friend but there will never be another SW game like  SWG 

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

If you want a KOTOR experience (i.e. single player experience) then F2P SWTOR is good enough. Why? Because "Story Quests" are the only things fully available to you as a free-to-play member. Hell, I would've much preferred if SWTOR was KOTOR 3 ever since the game went F2P. But if you want to treat SWTOR as an actual MMORPG (e.g., with social aspects like mail and trading, decent leveling rates, progressive gear, etc.) then you're going to need to spend money one way or another, which to me defeats the purpose of a game being F2P.

People who say they like SWTOR F2P are either in denial or just haven't experienced what SWTOR was like when it was originally P2P. I'm telling you, SWTOR's F2P restrictions are some of the worst I've seen, if not THE worst I've seen in this generation. A quick glance at the Features Chart shows just how nerfed non-paying members are. It's a struggle to catch up with other people who are subscribed. Hell, even the "preferred status" players are somewhat gimped, and need I remind you that these are people who've coughed up some money here and there. If the definition of company "greediness" doesn't sink in your heads, then I don't know what will. But sadly, it seems like people are gullible nonetheless...

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Doogie ... If SWTOR continued/improved THIS --^  -- It would be closer to what I was trying to articulate above.

Well here you go. SWG in all its glory just three short years ago. Enjoy..

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by darkhalf357x Originally posted by Jonoku Originally posted by darkhalf357x I understand its Star Wars and certain liberties can't realistically be taken (Who would fish in Star Wars?).  
    Wrong, SWG had so many options, there was fishing, there was lots of realistic stuff in the game to play around with. There was politician, city mayors, so star wars isn't restricted to liberties and thats not the reason why swtor is that restricted. Its a choice in game design to be exactly like WoW. Again, Star wars and many liberties CAN be realistically be taken and you can fish. Just you making that assumption off of SWTOR and Star Wars just tells me how much you know about the lore. http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Fishing

Don't let the force misguide you, young padawan.