Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: Underground Dragoon Ruins Video Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has released a brand new video featuring a look at a new high level encounter zone that will unlock in Wizardry Online when the game goes live on January 30th. Called "The Underground Dragoon Ruins", the zone is filled with sneaky traps, tough monsters and wicked bosses. Enjoy!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WebzeroWebzero Member UncommonPosts: 33
    The controls look alitle sluggish.  I would rather sacrifice graphics for control if the game is gonna use perma death.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Thats just how the game is, and the graphics are pretty badly done.

• DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I would expect this kind of video from a homemade gamer, quality wise, not from developpers, the video looks simplist, and doesn't reflect any attraction for playing.

• genedizzygenedizzy Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by bbbb42

Graphic's look fine, they aren't superb like mass effect and that but it looks fine to me.[mod edit]

On the side note, combat does look a bit iffy. For a Permadeath game, im hoping the shield will absolve some of the damage and not be there for looks kind of like Dark souls/Demon souls.

Genesinki East Coast CS player

• spiralpenspiralpen Member Posts: 36
    The controls are never what got me killed in beta, what got more killed is impatience and wanting to kill before blocking or dodging. Graphics however low quality compared to today's but you know what? It's a niche game a small market so their not going to high that would be stupid.
  • spiralpenspiralpen Member Posts: 36
    Going high budget i mean....
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

What's so bad with the graphic quality? It's looks fine like this.

Fuck graphic whores they are ruining the gaming industries with ridicolously short games.

• DremeDreme Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by genedizzy
    Originally posted by bbbb42

Graphic's look fine, they aren't superb like mass effect and that but it looks fine to me. No if you don't want to throw anything good here dont even speak here. Go play World of Warcraft (Pretty funny huh how I referenced something you think is good looking)

On the side note, combat does look a bit iffy. For a Permadeath game, im hoping the shield will absolve some of the damage and not be there for looks kind of like Dark souls/Demon souls.

The shield does block damage. Shields have GP (guard points). If you block an attack the damage is delt against your GP instead of health. Once your GP is depleted, you can no longer block. Once you stop fighting for a bit your GP will regenerate, pretty quickly I might add. It is basically regenerating health and is very handy in a dungeon.

I consider myself a real gamer. I would play an 8-bit game if it was exciting. Graphics are nice and pretty to look at but are not top priority. Every game I have been hooked on for the last 10 years has been an open PvP game because it adds a level of depth and complexity I don't find in battle arenas used so many other titles out there. It forces you to make your character with both PvE and PvP in mind at all times. That prevents there ever being cookie cutter builds for this game, and instead allows you to mix and match things to your own liking.

Permadeath isn't a big threat in this game until you are in higher levels, say level 50. So it isn't like you will be facing permadeath at level 20 and having to start over, only to permadeath again at level 24. Infact my characters had a 96-99% chance of reviving without puting up an item to increase the chance, then you get a second chance even if you fail the first revive, where then you can add an item or some gold to up your chance. If and when you do perma, it is not a complete loss. You retain your soul rank, which allows you to equip stronger gear and level more quickly. By the time you are level 50 and facing permadeath, your soul rank will be 20+. When you start your new character you will be a level 1 using equipment better than a new level 10, you will be recieving 1.5x XP and soul points (used to raise soul level) up till probably level 30 or 35 and carrying around a few million gold with the added knowlege you didn't have your first play through. It wont be very hard to catch back up to your previous level.

As for the "clunky controls", in PvE it actually works just fine. I never had any problem with the controls except a few minor glitches the devs are working on, and how is that not to be expected when a game is in beta? the bigest complaint is in targeting, and that is because PvP is not point and click The game does not play it's self as so many gamers have become use to over the years of cookie cutter MMOs. If you ever watch any PvP videos, you will see the good PvPers don't even use the target lock. If you do use the target lock, your target will run circles around you and the fight will be one sided as you swing at air and they stab you in the back. Skill is required.

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    I think they know this game is going to tank so they aren't putting much effort into it. Likely milk whatever cash they can and let it coast. I can't blame them.... it really looks awful. I wouldn't waste development/media/marketing effort either. 
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    That camera shake on every combat hit is god awfull, makes me nauseous just watching the video, they better have an option to disable it or your gong to have a fair number of people that cant even play this game.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Some of you posters crack me up.  The entire premise of this game is to get people to high enough level where they are forced to buy items from the item shop to avoid the chance of perma death.   Getting involved with this game means at some time be ready to open the pocket book often to keep your avatar alive.  There will be plenty of ganking squads running around.
  • DremeDreme Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Some of you posters crack me up.  The entire premise of this game is to get people to high enough level where they are forced to buy items from the item shop to avoid the chance of perma death.   Getting involved with this game means at some time be ready to open the pocket book often to keep your avatar alive.  There will be plenty of ganking squads running around.

No doubt SOE is in this to make money.. I don't think anyone is debating that, but there are repeatable missions that give you items that increase your revive chance. You can find blessed equipment that increases your rivial chance (I had a few peices on every character I made so it isn't hard to find). As you raise your soul rank you receive bonuses that increase your revival chance. You can use gold to raise your revival chance, not much either mind you when you can get a million gold in a matter of minutes and 10k gold is like 3% bonus.

And PKers have to play by the same rules as everyone else. If they die, they too face permadeath. I don't think you will find many PKers willing to enter dungeons where players are forced to party and are high enough level to be faced with the threat of permadeath. You'd be digging your own grave.. not to say it wont happen but it will be rare and those who do do it, if permadeath is such the big threat that you make it sound, wont be around long anyway.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    There are just too many red flags with this game....Take away the permadeath and they probably double the amount of people playing if not more....Personally I have no interest in a game that wants you to pauy to avoid losing your character permanantly.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    There are just too many red flags with this game....Take away the permadeath and they probably double the amount of people playing if not more....Personally I have no interest in a game that wants you to pauy to avoid losing your character permanantly.

One really has to go some to reach permadeath.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• tablotablo Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Game is fun. I don't understand these comments about graphics. Maybe it's because I still play old games, but I don't see why the graphics matter.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by tablo
    Game is fun. I don't understand these comments about graphics. Maybe it's because I still play old games, but I don't see why the graphics matter.

Because this is 2013 and everyone knows developers are capable of much better graphics than this. I mean look at it! It looks like a game from the 90s!

Smile

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

This game is old it's not like this game released globaly last year, it's been out for years in china before releasing in europe/america.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by tablo

Agreed, game is definitely fun.  Gameplay > graphics.

Anyone that is scared off because of the permadeath and ffa pvp...good riddance.  I never dropped below 94% revival and majority of my characters were 99% there are plenty of items that help with revive chance, I never once payed gold or felt worried about losing my characters.

Great multiclass options and the trap thief is very different experience from any other game I've played.  The graphics look like they ripped off FFXI character models, but for what the game is (f2p) it does a great job of providing entertainment for no cost.

The cash shop items go beyond convenience (healing incense boosts condition to the 180-200 range providing stat boosts, security tokens protect your items from being looted for 7 days, forge guard protects equipment from breaking while enchanting +1/2/3 etc.) which is of some concern.

Originally posted by bloodaxes

This game is old it's not like this game released globaly last year, it's been out for years in china before releasing in europe/america.

Japan, and release for just over 1 year.

• FinalrogeFinalroge Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Theocritus

It doesnt work quite like that. Yes your character can die and be lost forever, however you maintain the same SOUL RANK for each character within your 'Soul name' aka your account. If you are a bit intelligent and you put aside extra gear/gold in storage. You can roll a new character and be back to where you were very quickly. Each Soul Rank you gain it becomes easier to level up within certain level ranges.(like levels 1-10 get a 10% exp boost) Ontop of that, Soul Rank 4 gear is wearable at lvl 1 if you have reached that soul rank on any character. Making it easy to hop into a moderate dungeon and quickly level up. Permadeath chance is influence by your character level. During the open beta I was killed multiple times by PKers and monsters and I only went to ash once. (You need to turn to ash prior to perma-death) . Basically, if you perma death prior to level 20 you need to practice this game quite a bit more. Its not like you get an account wipe. Unless you carry all your gold and gear around you can easily powerlevel yourself back to where you were.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    the graphic are ok but does everything have to be so bland? its practically black and white. Gameplay sadly is just a bland.
  • cinmiscinmis Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

the graphic are ok but does everything have to be so bland? its practically black and white. Gameplay sadly is just a bland.

That's how it's supposed to be. A dark themed game like this one wouldn't ever use bright flashy colors. Ask the devs of survival horror games.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by cinmis

Originally posted by TribeofOne

That's how it's supposed to be. A dark themed game like this one wouldn't ever use bright flashy colors. Ask the devs of survival horror games.

TSW is a survival/horror type game and its far from black and white. Whatever though.. the game did not appeal to me in away and thats ok.Good luck to Wizardry Online finding its niche market!
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I like the environment work very much.  To me it has an Oblivion feel to it.  Great vid.  Just put this game on my radar

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

My friends and I played the beta. To be perfectly honest, we didn't even get out of the starter city before uninstalling.

The graphics look good. However, the controls, the final fantasy-like asian story, and the linear mindset hit hard during the first 2 min of gameplay. It looked and felt like a console game.