Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Themepark or not?

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I guess we differ on what you consider open world themepark.

To me that is like daoc or vanilla eq, no instancing huge open world.

As opposed to a linear on the rails themepark best described by swtor probably.

Could have swore that Firor said that the only way to explore the land of another faction was to make a character for that faction.  That's not open world by any defenition. 

I'm pretty sure you can't enter another factions land.  Instances or not, that's not an open world. 

• ChakrafiChakrafi Member Posts: 2
    Mind telling me what are these "sandbox elements"?
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

pure themepark

PASS....

• ViolatedMonkeyViolatedMonkey Member Posts: 4
    Can't wait for this game. I dont know why people hate themeparks so much. I for one like them very much.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by ViolatedMonkey
    Can't wait for this game. I dont know why people hate themeparks so much. I for one like them very much.

The main reason I guess is that TES games are not really Themepark as such. They are more "here is a world, dor what you want to do. Do quests or not, buy a house or not, be a hero or not, explore the world or not....choices".

I know games are hard to define as sandbox becuase so many different views on what a sandpark game is exists but if ever there was an IP shouting out 'sandpark' it was TES. It is just a shame development started when it did and seems to be stuck in the old mode of "here is how we want you to play the game" not "here is the game go play".

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by GN-003

Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Open world free roaming themepark with sandbox elements.

Like daoc and skyrim

How is 3 Faction locked areas and Cyrodiil for PvP considered "open world free roaming"?

Bingo.

QFT!

When 2/3 of the world is locked against a particular race, that ain't open world.
  • rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

The game is very unfortunately deviating from what people loved about Skyrim and its predecessors: great storyline and lore with an open and sprawing world to just do your own thing. All of the 'rails' they've described really takes away from any sandbox elements people came to love in the Elder Scrolls series. 

-> Themepark 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

i know it's been a LONG time but i played eq1 at launch and vagely remember zones being broken up by loading screens similar to GW2.. also remember the "zoning" took forever as the brb zoning phrase was common.. again my memory is little foggy but don't remember it being a more seamless open world like vanguard

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by rmk70

The game is very unfortunately deviating from what people loved about Skyrim and its predecessors: great storyline and lore with an open and sprawing world to just do your own thing. All of the 'rails' they've described really takes away from any sandbox elements people came to love in the Elder Scrolls series. 

-> Themepark 

I would actually argue that "story" has never been a real strong point in Elder Scrolls games.  It's more about the open-world experience, and the side quests.  The core story of all the main games is actually pretty bland, with Daggerfall the exception.

Arena - prisoners escaping a dungeon and having to search further dungeons to find pieces of a staff (maybe a sword, it's been a while).  Nothing really new here.

Daggerfall - Best story in my opinion, with it starting out as a simple errand as a friend of the emporer to find out why a kings ghost is haunting a city, that grows to include infidelity and betrayal among the royalty, as well as the founding of the Orcish empire.

Morrowind - Random prisoner is sent to the Dark Elf homelands, ultimately found to be a great dark elf reincarnated, shaking the foundations of dark elf society.  Not a bad story, but the presentation wasn't that great, and you could easily go for ages without actually progressing the story, so it never felt very cohesive.

Oblivion - Again, a random prisoner (noticing a theme here...) gets drawn in to the demonic invasion, and helps the last surviving son (Sean Bean!) of the slain emporer (Patrick Stewart!) meet his destiny, saving the world from oblivion.  Interesting story although, like Morrowind, it can stall pretty frequently if you get sidetracked on other stuff, effectively putting the invasion "on hold."

Skyrim - Yet another prisoner gets caught up in some political intrigue, while turning out to also be some legendary figure saving the world.  Story was pretty solid, and the presentation was much better than Oblivion, although still nothing compared to Daggerfall.  The open-world aspect was top notch though.

You make me like charity

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

As much as we might wish it was a Morrowind/ Skyrim hybrid, ESO will be its own unique game. We can play it or not. Bethesda will eventually make TES VI.

While there are elements of ESO I don't like, I will still play this game. If only for the chance to possibly meet Sotha Sil. And of course, kick Molag Bal's arse.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

i know it's been a LONG time but i played eq1 at launch and vagely remember zones being broken up by loading screens similar to GW2.. also remember the "zoning" took forever as the brb zoning phrase was common.. again my memory is little foggy but don't remember it being a more seamless open world like vanguard

You are correct, EQ1 has never been "open-world" in the sense of no loading zones.  Zoning was actually a tactic to escape mobs, and you'd often see people with "trains" of mobs following them as they try and get to the zone portal to survive.  Once they did, woe to any adventurer just standing around the portal, because the train would then go after them.

You make me like charity

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by asmkm22

You are correct, EQ1 has never been "open-world" in the sense of no loading zones.  Zoning was actually a tactic to escape mobs, and you'd often see people with "trains" of mobs following them as they try and get to the zone portal to survive.  Once they did, woe to any adventurer just standing around the portal, because the train would then go after them.

haha yes i remember that now! yea just thought it was odd shakyMo called EQ1 having a huge no instancing "open world"

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by asmkm22

haha yes i remember that now! yea just thought it was odd shakyMo called EQ1 having a huge no instancing "open world"

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I can probably tolerate Themepark PvE. PvP is the most important thing to me. If they have an RvR system like DAOC, I'm interested.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQ1 had zones but they were not instanced

EQ1 was more open than GW1/GW2 zoning

- you would be running in an open area and a zone would load with no indication that a different zone was ahead

(such was Freeport -> West Commons,  or Freeport -> SouthRo)

to compare other open mmos, they have zone transitions too, where you may momentarily lag, but no loading screen

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

sandbox

nah just kidding, themepark

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    themepark, of course.

Joined - July 2004

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Sadly its just gonna be another pure themepark :(
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

because they are too cool to like theme parks, obviously.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Themepark, and it's going to kill the game so many people have been waiting for for years.  Such an amazing IP for a sandbox to be made, and they can't even make it a sandpark.....
    Originally posted by baphamet

Because, If i wanted to be lead around by the hand and told where to go and what to do all the time I would play the plethera of better Single Player games?

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by baphamet

Has nothing to do with being cool, just themeparks now days , some people reach max level in a day or 2, what fun is that ?

Themeparks get boring fast, cause nothing you do in the wrold matters, and most are single player games really untill you reach endgame. 

Maybe some people want something different ?  more immersive ? more fun, more challenging, more community ,  ect...........................................................................................just NORE !!!

True challenging game play builds community, whether it is through PvP, PvE, or some other game mechanic.  Many games have lost the grasp of this, and build more and more toward soloable content through out their game.  Which is why we see a trend from games that had truely amazing communities, to games that have more of a meh / selfish community.  

When you can solo 99.9% of the game.  Why do you need to be nice to other people?  What reason is there to protect your good name?

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Themepark is a vague term and people say it like the game will not be fun or something.

How about we get rid of meaningless terms like themepark and sandbox and list the features of the game instead?

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Trionicus
    Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi
    Themepark, like Skyrim without the freedom and the combat, not sure what that leaves apart from a IP

I've read/heard from people that have played the game that the combat is very Skyrim like. Just with a limited hotbar. Mouse buttons for each hand. Hold mouse button to build up a power hit using stamina.

Skyrim was pointed in the right direction, no need to take steps backwards, pigeonhold classes, obviously a downgrade in graphics...sorry now I'm just being negative. I'll just STFU and go back to Skyrim, my bad.

lol, well at least it will be easier to play with a gaming mouse :-). See, look at the glass as half full lol

There Is Always Hope!