Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another failure of a MMO brought to us by Marvel.

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by AdamTM

Fact is, most people don't want to play Sidekick38127. They don't want to play characters with powers -similar- to the Flash, they want to play -The Flash-

Actually the "fact" is the exact opposite if you read the common feedback from people on various mmo sites, people absolutely love to create their own super heroes, not to mention it's the very core feature of RPG's, especially in multiplayer where it's incredibly stupid to run around with a bunch of cloned spider men.

Taking marvel heroes as some little action game that appeals for few weeks, sure it could be fun to fool around as some of the familiar heroes you like from the comics, could have been diablo style singleplayer game to begin with since there's not even an optional charcter creation.

The "fact" is that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 are very successful games, and this is no different from an online version of that.

Resident Evil 5 is also a very succesful game.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

Fact is, most people don't want to play Sidekick38127. They don't want to play characters with powers -similar- to the Flash, they want to play -The Flash-

Actually the "fact" is the exact opposite if you read the common feedback from people on various mmo sites, people absolutely love to create their own super heroes, not to mention it's the very core feature of RPG's, especially in multiplayer where it's incredibly stupid to run around with a bunch of cloned spider men.

Taking marvel heroes as some little action game that appeals for few weeks, sure it could be fun to fool around as some of the familiar heroes you like from the comics, could have been diablo style singleplayer game to begin with since there's not even an optional charcter creation.

The "fact" is that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 are very successful games, and this is no different from an online version of that.

I think both of you are right. There are people that want to make their own, and those who want to play as a super hero. I am VERY excited for this game. From what I have read, at least one Iron Man can be different from another Iron Man in terms of costume AND abiities.

Oh, and this is one game where I am going to break my own rule and actually put money into it! 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Your point? RE5 shows that there is a market for shooting zombie games, just like MUA1&2 shows that there is a market for super hero RPG where you famous heroes.

Originally posted by madazz

I think both of you are right. There are people that want to make their own, and those who want to play as a super hero. I am VERY excited for this game. From what I have read, at least one Iron Man can be different from another Iron Man in terms of costume AND abiities.

Oh, and this is one game where I am going to break my own rule and actually put money into it! 

I am not too concern about seeing multiple spiderman running around.

I am a bit concern about combat mechanics, animation, and the general fun level. This kind of game (just like D3) lives or die by how addictive combat is.

I hope they nail the combat. If so, i think it will be a good & successful game.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I think this game sounds fun, but hey...that's just me.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

I am not too concern about seeing multiple spiderman running around.

I am a bit concern about combat mechanics, animation, and the general fun level. This kind of game (just like D3) lives or die by how addictive combat is.

I hope they nail the combat. If so, i think it will be a good & successful game.

I wasn't trying to express or derail any concern about multiple characters so much as state that it looks like there will be a lot of diversity.

And I have a good feeling that the combat will pan out to be something that both you and I like. I love the combat in D3, but the game is so boring to me. With the random maps mixed in with this game I know I will get a lot more out of it. Plus, with so many characters/classes to try too I just may get hooked if they do it right.

Either way, I agree with your comment on the combat. If it sucks, this game will crash. But that is kind of a given. I think we all have high hopes considering this is one of the guys who was behind Diablo 1 and 2. Someone mentioned its the same guy behind Hellgate London too, but I have never tried that game.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I don't know about it becoming another failure, the game seems to be clear at what it is delivering. Might not be my cup of tea but regardless of that it's still not a failure is it?

Personaly I don't mind playing iconic characters in singleplayer games, but with a MMORPG just place me in that universe with the iconic characters as background lore/story. Once a Superhero MMORPG would be developed with superhero's actually having alter ego's in a sandbox/hybrid MMORPG it will get my attention.

Your point? RE5 shows that there is a market for shooting zombie games, just like MUA1&2 shows that there is a market for super hero RPG where you famous heroes.

There's thousands of succesful games out there, does not mean they are automatically succesful mmorpgs (or just mmo's) if you increase the pop cap to mmo numbers.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Actually the "fact" is the exact opposite if you read the common feedback from people on various mmo sites, people absolutely love to create their own super heroes.

"fact".

I love "fact"s.

Like the "fact" that there are over 25 million people playing MMORPGs around the world today and not one Super Hero MMORPG that allows you to make your own super hero could draw in more than 1 in 25 of all those MMORPG gamers...

Super Hero games are not popular period in the overall sceme of things. Not single player or MMORPG so a company should target as large an audience as possible when making their games and in the long run, the idea of playing Iron Man appeals to far more players that the idea of playing an Iron Man rip off that almost comes close to looking like Iron Man.

And I thought CoH was a decent game...just hated the idea that I was so limited in powers that I was basiically just a weaker knock-off of the hero I wanted to be. And yes, the powers were limited...why the heck cant you be a hero with Fire AND super strength?

If you wanted fire abilities, that was it, have fun being a human torch rip-off...may as well just BE the Human Torch if you cant actually BE THE HERO YOU WANT TO BE!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs

Actually the "fact" is the exact opposite if you read the common feedback from people on various mmo sites, people absolutely love to create their own super heroes.

"fact".

I love "fact"s.

Like the "fact" that there are over 25 million people playing MMORPGs around the world today and not one Super Hero MMORPG that allows you to make your own super hero could draw in more than 1 in 25 of all those MMORPG gamers...

Super Hero games are not popular period in the overall sceme of things. Not single player or MMORPG so a company should target as large an audience as possible when making their games and in the long run, the idea of playing Iron Man appeals to far more players that the idea of playing an Iron Man rip off that almost comes close to looking like Iron Man.

And I thought CoH was a decent game...just hated the idea that I was so limited in powers that I was basiically just a weaker knock-off of the hero I wanted to be. And yes, the powers were limited...why the heck cant you be a hero with Fire AND super strength?

If you wanted fire abilities, that was it, have fun being a human torch rip-off...may as well just BE the Human Torch if you cant actually BE THE HERO YOU WANT TO BE!

I've played CoH, CO, and also DCUO. I didnt play those games for long, and the problem was NEVER the character creation or anything surrounding that, they just simply are not very good games when it comes to longevity or when it comes to many of the game mechanics, this is quite common problem in mmorpgs. CO actually had extremely awesome char creator with insane amount of options, some people claim to have been playing the character creator even after the game failed in their eyes.

If you want to target as large as possible audience in your action/rpg/mmorpg game, you absolutely must have a character creator in it. My take on Iron Man suit does not come simply close to the real deal, but instead it looks better and has more awesome powers, why the hell would I want to limit my self to just being the default one? I'm a superhero movies fan and I'm not even going to touch this game because it does not have a char creator, and there's plenty of people like me when it comes to this.

This game reeks of "nice little game" anyway so I'm not sure if any of this really would make any difference in any case.

I wasn't trying to express or derail any concern about multiple characters so much as state that it looks like there will be a lot of diversity.

And I have a good feeling that the combat will pan out to be something that both you and I like. I love the combat in D3, but the game is so boring to me. With the random maps mixed in with this game I know I will get a lot more out of it. Plus, with so many characters/classes to try too I just may get hooked if they do it right.

Either way, I agree with your comment on the combat. If it sucks, this game will crash. But that is kind of a given. I think we all have high hopes considering this is one of the guys who was behind Diablo 1 and 2. Someone mentioned its the same guy behind Hellgate London too, but I have never tried that game.

Don't get me wrong. I am cautiously optimistic. The upside is that many of the heroes have very different powers, so the source material is there if they want to leverage into fun combat.

I did play Hellgate London. I didn't get very far though but combat is no where as much fun as D3. It still has tab targetting and it plays more like a 3rd person shooter with auto-targetting. And i think you really need an isometric view to do some of the action tactical (meaning action-based, but still need to use diverse skills, and spatial awareness) combat well.

If you want to target as large as possible audience in your action/rpg/mmorpg game, you absolutely must have a character creator in it. My take on Iron Man suit does not come simply close to the real deal, but instead it looks better and has more awesome powers, why the hell would I want to limit my self to just being the default one? I'm a superhero movies fan and I'm not even going to touch this game because it does not have a char creator, and there's plenty of people like me when it comes to this.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance sold millions without a character creator. While it is not a MMO, it is close enough to this game to make a comparison.

And just for your information, while you cannot "create" an iron, you can customize its costume and power. So it is already doing what you ask .. just that you have the bonus of being Iron Man instead of some knock off like "iron dude".

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by vickter420

This is why MMOs are going the route of SWTOR and why SWG went its route. Why do you want to play AS Batman or Wolverine in a MMO??? Dont you find it silly when you see a team of Spider-mans? Oh right but different costome so thats okay. How about this crazy idea you build up a new super hero (or villian)  start from nothing and build your OWN legend?

Through PVP, PVE, helping people or messing with them theres many other ways to make your char. feel like a badass just the current formula doesnt allow for anything off rails. (in any game really atm)  I always liked building my own charactor and not being stuck with a templete but guess thats just me.

First off, it's an MMO. You're not building your own legend in any MMO, you're still doing the same things as everyone else. Any legend you build is in your own imagination, one that should work anywhere.

Secondly, I really don't care that every other person out there can play as the same hero as me, I don't even care if they're doing it while on my team. Fact is, ~I~ can play as my favorite hero, that suits (pun) me just fine. Worry less about what other people are doing with their time.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Marvel should stick to movies, comic books and toys til they figure out what a mmorpg is all about! They know how to spend money on advertising. It is sad for Marvel Heroes to be called a mmorpg when its nothing more than a converted console game with multiplayer features added.

This is a very dissappointing title!

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Secondly, I really don't care that every other person out there can play as the same hero as me, I don't even care if they're doing it while on my team. Fact is, ~I~ can play as my favorite hero, that suits (pun) me just fine. Worry less about what other people are doing with their time.

QFT.

I think this superhero MMO will be more successful than the others that came before it simply because you can play as the Iconic Marvel Heroes instead of having to create basic rip-offs of existing characters in a character creator.

Originally posted by xpowderx

Marvel should stick to movies, comic books and toys til they figure out what a mmorpg is all about! They know how to spend money on advertising. It is sad for Marvel Heroes to be called a mmorpg when its nothing more than a converted console game with multiplayer features added.

wait .. you are disappointed before you know if the game is fun? Why should i care what it is called? If it is a GOOD console game with multiplayer features, what is the problem?

wait .. you are disappointed before you know if the game is fun? Why should i care what it is called? If it is a GOOD console game with multiplayer features, what is the problem?

Actually, many games are fun(Torchlight , Call of Duty, is very fun!).  Many of those games are not MMORPG's. As the original poster stated. This IMO is not a mmorpg(which is the point). It is a console game with limited character customization and or skill sets. With added multiplayer functions. Even single player rpgs offer more customization than this title.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Actually, many games are fun(Torchlight , Call of Duty, is very fun!).  Many of those games are not MMORPG's. As the original poster stated. This IMO is not a mmorpg(which is the point). It is a console game with limited character customization and or skill sets. With added multiplayer functions. Even single player rpgs offer more customization than this title.

How is this a console game? Nothing I have seen in the gameplay videos supports this. Controls with the mouse targeting and powers looks like Diablo. Also show me a list of the limited skill sets? Need a link to that.

Originally posted by Yizle

How is this a console game? Nothing I have seen in the gameplay videos supports this. Controls with the mouse targeting and powers looks like Diablo. Also show me a list of the limited skill sets? Need a link to that.

Diablo :-D

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Marvel Heroes has limited character customization? Why you think that?

David Breivik say it has spec trees kinda like Diablo 2 that changes the way a hero play, like he did with Diablo 2 skill trees, where you could make a bow amazon, or spear amazon that played completely different

Originally posted by Yizle

Diablo :-D

Yeah you just made his point. Diablo is a PC game, not a console. game.

hmm ... which one? Diablo 3 has 5 classes, all with different looks and powers. Diablo has 3. Torchlight 1 has 3. D2 has 5.

MH has 26 heroes .. each with multiple costumes. Just by counting, i don't see MH has fewer customization. Even Marvel Ultimate Alliance has only 20 heroes, and MUA does not have different skill trees for each hero.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

I really hope Marvel Heroes will be great, it has awesome universe, we have played fantasy to death now :)

also, did I mention Diablo and Diablo 2 lead designer is behind it :)

we will see in 2-3 months.

Originally posted by Arcona

I really hope Marvel Heroes will be great, it has awesome universe, we have played fantasy to death now :)

also, did I mention Diablo and Diablo 2 lead designer is behind it :)

we will see in 2-3 months.

I am cautious optimistic. If it is half as fun as Marvel Ultimate Alliance, it will be a good game. And the best part, it is F2P, so i don't have to pay a cent to find out.

• EleonelEleonel Member Posts: 15

I agree with the above post 100%, MUA was my favorite console game and Legends my favorite psp game. If this game is anything like it, which it looks to be, it will be epic. However,  I see some nit pickers on here complain about a few things that don't make sense.

1st - No character creation!!? Uhm, no idiots (I meant it in a nice way). It's a MARVEL game, why would they want you to create a totally random character in that universe for no good reason, there are so many characters in that universe to play and haven't even seen the light of day. Not to mention so many character archs and histroy to draw from. Add a whole bunch of random wannabe's into that and you get a bad story that won't be submersive because they'd have to generalize it for the thousands of players or not include you in it. I'm so glad Marvel had the balls to say no to what every mmo tries to do and make it all about them! I'm just getting started, hold up!

Most of the people who complain about no character creation, will go and create a Spiderman, Thor, Wolverine wannabe anyway!  Will the real slim shady please stand up? ughh...Only a few of you actually sit down and try to come up with something unique. Sure I love the idea of coming up with my backstory and creating a character from scratch, but I can play superhero mmo's like champions online for that. My main problem with DCUO is that I wanted to play Superman but had to create a kncok off instead. (With ice powers?) That $hit cray! See, even with a game with customization, you will not always get what you want. It's DCUO, why can't I be one of the many different Supermans they have? Or Batmans (BEYOND would have been awesome!!!). Do you expect to play a created character when you start playing Arkham Asylum? No, it's all about being Batman, you know his strengths, weaknesses, backstory, you don't have to play a nobody. Not to mention that when pvp is added to Marvel Heroes, because I know it will, you shouldn't be mad at all the Spidey's running around as long as you're the best. :) Compete to be the best Spidey? Isn't that more fulfilling than being the best sidekick6969?

I may be wrong and I'm open to opinions but I think a game like this will stomp DCUO because there is factual stories from the comics and actual heroes with a background being played. Besides, you get to spec into the powers you want and select your costumes so there will be diversity. one Storm might specialize in wind push back abilities while the other stuns you with lightning. (bad example but you get it) Like I said, there will be many copies but only one can triumph. :)

2nd - No open world!? My answer to that is play MUA. Tell me if it took away from the exploration or gaming experience. I rather have 10 detailed decently sized levels like the ones we've seen than going to Deepholm and questing in WoW. Sorry but it's just too much land for no reason, too many useless grinding and random quests. I rather have a focused story with cutscenes. The only thing I don't like is that levels are chosen at random, I hope you get to choose them in endgame just cuz you feel like going to Jurassic Park or w.e that level is called, you know what I meant...